TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SS and 40th Conversions

Hi all!!!!!!!

Well, as you can all see, we are pumping out the 40th's and the SS's. We are just about done with all of the traing and everything is going quite well!!!!! I do want to add some things to remember when sending in your car and some things about after recieving your car. So, here goes...........................................

1. If you have an invis-bra on the vehicle, please remove it prior to shipping. It HAS to come off before the stripes are applied. Hood and front fascia on the 40th and front fascia on the SS.

2. If you have a CAI and tune installed and we are doing a power upgrade to the 40th or doing a SS, PLEASE send the tuner. We HAVE to remove the tune that is installed so we can reinstall the new tune.

3. Wheel locks---PLEASE send the wheel lock key. This makes it a wee bit easier to remove the wheels.

4. Added suspension mods aready done. If you have had any mods done to the rear suspension, we may not be able to attatch the rear brake ducts. Some of the ones I have seen are solid arms. We will not drill through the arms to attatch the ducts. We do not know the structual integrity of the arm. We will put the brake ducts in the trunk.

5. Front added suspension mods. So far we have not seen any problems putting on the front componants with the front control arms being switched. Again I add----SO FAR.

6. Headers and exhaust mods. IF the vehicle comes in with headers installed--we will not install the super charger on the vehicle. It will not pass CARB and the tune we have does NOT comply with CARB. There is a real good chance we may not be able to do the build. If you want the package done, the STOCK manifolds need to be installed prior to the vehicle arriving here.

6b. Exhaust. If the exhaust has been altered, we will remove the installed exhaust and install the package Borla exhaust. You will get back your exhaust pieces.

7. Air bag covers and console lid covers. Please, if you remove these items prior to the car arriving, please let us know or put a note in the vehicle. If the console lid has been removed prior to shipping, we will put the lid console cover in the trunk of the vehicle.

8. Painted on stripes. This could be a big issue if we recieve a vehicle here with painted on stripes. The stripes we use will not cover the painted stripes. The painted stripes will need to be removed prior to the build. Unfortunately, we can not leave the painted stripes on the vehicle. It is not part of the build package.

9. Added air horns and detectors. These added items may have to be removed and placed elsewhere. This could cause a little bit of a delay in the build and there maybe a small charge to relocate these items. We have seen a couple of the front detectors cut into the front lower grille and it affected the placing of the front brake duct inlets. The horn set up was right where the CAI box went.

10. Copy of registration. I know that everybody has been notified to have a copy of registration in the vehicle upon delivery. So far this has been working out quite well. Just a friendly reminder. Thank you.

Now, I know that everybody who is having the 605hp S/C and the 725 S/C installed are thriiled to death and can not wait to rip up the road as soon as they recieve the vehicle---but please, try to keep in mind that these items do need a little bit of time to break in. Also, with adding the 3:73 rear gear set, that HAS to break in too!!!!!! What they are recomending is to do 4-5 sets of "cold" starts. This means----drive the vehicle "normally" for about 25 miles. Then let the vehicle sit and COMPLETELY cool down, then drive another 25 miles and repeat the process. This will help the gear set break in properly. If not, you may damage the gear set. We would also recomend to "try" and break in the vehicle for at least 100-200 miles. I know that many will probably want to get it out and see what she does---that's fine, but "try" to break it in before you "break" it :D

I hope this will help you all out when you recieve your vehicle. And if you have any questions, I will do my best to answer them. If I do not know the answer, I will find somebody who does.

Take care and have FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bud

Now, I know that everybody who is having the 605hp S/C and the 725 S/C installed are thriiled to death and can not wait to rip up the road as soon as they recieve the vehicle---but please, try to keep in mind that these items do need a little bit of time to break in. Also, with adding the 3:73 rear gear set, that HAS to break in too!!!!!! What they are recomending is to do 4-5 sets of "cold" starts. This means----drive the vehicle "normally" for about 25 miles. Then let the vehicle sit and COMPLETELY cool down, then drive another 25 miles and repeat the process. This will help the gear set break in properly. If not, you may damage the gear set. We would also recomend to "try" and break in the vehicle for at least 100-200 miles. I know that many will probably want to get it out and see what she does---that's fine, but "try" to break it in before you "break" it :D

Bud

Thanks, Bud, great info.

As for breaking in the gears, how long is the cool down between runs? This is important for those of us who may be driving the car away, rather than shipping it. Sounds like it could be a long first day (time-wise, not distance). Sounds like I'd have to plan on an extra day to get home (1,300 miles). Oh well, a photo-shoot every 25 miles may not be the worst thing...

Thanks, Bud, great info.

As for breaking in the gears, how long is the cool down between runs? This is important for those of us who may be driving the car away, rather than shipping it. Sounds like it could be a long first day (time-wise, not distance). Sounds like I'd have to plan on an extra day to get home (1,300 miles). Oh well, a photo-shoot every 25 miles may not be the worst thing...

The tech's are recomending that the rear diff cools down completely. This will help "harden" the gears for a longer life.

Bud

The tech's are recomending that the rear diff cools down completely. This will help "harden" the gears for a longer life.

Bud

NOW YOU TELL ME!! I would like to go ahead and order a NEW GEAR SET and back tires!! :hysterical:

Oh wait you did tell me. Thats why I have been taken it KINDA easy. Still got to feel some PUNCH everyone once in awhile.

michael morris

Now, I know that everybody who is having the 605hp S/C and the 725 S/C installed are thriiled to death and can not wait to rip up the road as soon as they recieve the vehicle---but please, try to keep in mind that these items do need a little bit of time to break in. Also, with adding the 3:73 rear gear set, that HAS to break in too!!!!!!

Bud

Hi Bud,

Do the 605 hp 40th's have the 3:73 rear gear sets also?

All the best....

Rick

Now, I know that everybody who is having the 605hp S/C and the 725 S/C installed are thriiled to death and can not wait to rip up the road as soon as they recieve the vehicle---but please, try to keep in mind that these items do need a little bit of time to break in. Also, with adding the 3:73 rear gear set, that HAS to break in too!!!!!!

Bud

Hi Bud,

Do the 605 hp 40th's have the 3:73 rear gear sets also?

All the best....

Rick

Hi Rick,

No, the 605hp set up does not get the 3:73 gear set. I believe that we are working on setting it up as an option. But, the 725hp option on the 40th does get the 3:73 gear set.

Bud

Hi Rick,

No, the 605hp set up does not get the 3:73 gear set. I believe that we are working on setting it up as an option. But, the 725hp option on the 40th does get the 3:73 gear set.

Bud

Thanks Bud,

When options become available after we've received our cars will the owners be notified? And then if purchased will our cars "credentials" be updated? You can put me down for one whenever any option becomes available! :yup:

All the best...

Rick

Hey, now that I have your attention hows the #45 SS coming?

Thanks Bud,

When options become available after we've received our cars will the owners be notified? And then if purchased will our cars "credentials" be updated? You can put me down for one whenever any option becomes available! :yup:

All the best...

Rick

Hey, now that I have your attention hows the #45 SS coming?

Hi Rick,

What I will try to do is, when I hear of any new updates, I will post them to the forums. And any type of mods we do here will reflect in the registry.

Bud

Hi Rick,

What I will try to do is, when I hear of any new updates, I will post them to the forums. And any type of mods we do here will reflect in the registry.

Bud

Hi Bud,

I want to make sure I understand. If there are new upgrades we need to bring the car back to make them official each time one comes out? Or for example on the short throw shifter that was missing from my 40th that I purchased after receiving the car. Can I have a local Ford Dealer install it send proof of the installation and have the registry updated?

All the best....

Rick

Guest markham51

I have a quarter window mod as well. I have made the assumption that Tasca will make the necessary change, one way or another. Only a question of whether they will bill me extra or not.

Hi Bud,

Can you tell me how many SS conversions have been completed? Also, How many SAI is doing a month? My number is 505 and I am just trying to determine whether my number will come up this year? :banghead: Thanks!

Call Cynthia at SAI. Wonderful person, she will help you....

Hi Bud,

Can you tell me how many SS conversions have been completed? Also, How many SAI is doing a month? My number is 505 and I am just trying to determine whether my number will come up this year? :banghead: Thanks!

I hope you mean 08SS0505 - as I was told I am 07SS0505!

I hope you mean 08SS0505 - as I was told I am 07SS0505!

Hello Bud

When its my turn at SAI will they mechanics doing my 725HP upgrade install new Fuel injectors and Valve Covers if I supply them the parts?

Can you buy parts in Vegas at the office if I came in?

Thank You

Michael

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hi Rick,

Bud

CORRECTION?? The 605hp SuperSnake package does get the 3:73 gear set?

Hi Rick,

Bud

Well, I guess writing this at 4:30am I didn't have my eyes open and I didn't see what I wrote---sorry guys. What I meant to say was---ALL Super Snakes, no matter what S/C it gets, they all recieve the 3:73 gears. The 40th Annv does NOT get them automatically---it is an option. Sorry for the error. And thank you Greg M. for letting me know :happy feet:

Bud

Well, I guess writing this at 4:30am I didn't have my eyes open and I didn't see what I wrote---sorry guys. What I meant to say was---ALL Super Snakes, no matter what S/C it gets, they all recieve the 3:73 gears. The 40th Annv does NOT get them automatically---it is an option. Sorry for the error. And thank you Greg M. for letting me know :happy feet:

Bud

Bud , I believe you were correct the first time, my 40th with the 725 was required to have the 3:73 and one piece drive shaft, I actually wanted to keep 3:31 for top end, you did how ever make sure that I had the correct lash written down incase it was to be changed back, Ken

• 3 months later...
Guest markham51

Anyone with ideas on how to best break in my 373 gears on my 725SS? I am taking delivery of my SS on Sept 10th. I am planning on driving all the way to Dearborn that day (700 miles). Any idea on how to break in the gears and still get there in a reasonable time. Will driving for 25 miles and letting it cool for 30 minutes each time work or will it take longer for gears to cool down? Apparently I need to do this 5 times for the gears to be properly broken in.

Markham Did you drive your new GT500 From the dealer for 25 miles & then let it cool. Ididn`t & there was no instructions from Ford to do this ,so I can`t understand why this needs to happen. The gears should already be heat treated when installed. Anyone out there explain this?????

Guest markham51
Markham Did you drive your new GT500 From the dealer for 25 miles & then let it cool. Ididn`t & there was no instructions from Ford to do this ,so I can`t understand why this needs to happen. The gears should already be heat treated when installed. Anyone out there explain this?????

If you go to the first post in this thread (last paragraph) it talks about a breakin for the SS. According to the instruction one should do 4-5 cold starts of 25 miles each to allow for gear hardening. They change out the factory gears during the SS conversion. If it only takes a half hour for the gears to cool down, it wont cost me too much time. If its longer that may be a problem. One way or an other, iwont make Dearborn till very late on the 10th...probably early on 11th.

Save me a cold one though...I'm comin!

If you go to the first post in this thread (last paragraph) it talks about a breakin for the SS. According to the instruction one should do 4-5 cold starts of 25 miles each to allow for gear hardening. They change out the factory gears during the SS conversion. If it only takes a half hour for the gears to cool down, it wont cost me too much time. If its longer that may be a problem. One way or an other, iwont make Dearborn till very late on the 10th...probably early on 11th.

Save me a cold one though...I'm comin!

Yeah I have read this but I can`t believe this has to be done 5 times. They install a Synthetic lub & gear enhancer so can`t understand why they say this .Maybe someone will chime in & give some insight. Don`t worry we will have a cold one ice when you get there .

Anyone with ideas on how to best break in my 373 gears on my 725SS? I am taking delivery of my SS on Sept 10th. I am planning on driving all the way to Dearborn that day (700 miles). Any idea on how to break in the gears and still get there in a reasonable time. Will driving for 25 miles and letting it cool for 30 minutes each time work or will it take longer for gears to cool down? Apparently I need to do this 5 times for the gears to be properly broken in.

I did as they suggested, while driving back to Calgary. Of course, I had to go back to SAI first, but at least their protocol was followed. I picked up the car with 5,000 km (3,000 mi) on it, now it has 9,000 km (5,500 mi). No problems so far... Does it help? Well, it doesn't seem to have hurt...

Guest markham51
I did as they suggested, while driving back to Calgary. Of course, I had to go back to SAI first, but at least their protocol was followed. I picked up the car with 5,000 km (3,000 mi) on it, now it has 9,000 km (5,500 mi). No problems so far... Does it help? Well, it doesn't seem to have hurt...

How long did you stop between 25 mi runs?

Archived