TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SuperSnake Drivability

I drove the car the day it came in. Came right back and OFFERED him the KEYS. He didnt want to drive it. SO :P

I let him drive a Grand National that a bought a few years ago and it almost got away from him. It scared him pretty good. So now I dont think he wants to PLAY in my cars anymore.

michael morris

I'm sure he got as much of a thrill seeing how proud and happy you were as if he bought it himself. Thats what dads do, which you'll soon be. Best of luck with this AWESOME toy and to you and the Mrs. on the upcoming next addition to your family.

I'm sure he got as much of a thrill seeing how proud and happy you were as if he bought it himself. Thats what dads do, which you'll soon be. Best of luck with this AWESOME toy and to you and the Mrs. on the upcoming next addition to your family.

Thanks. He did enjoy riding with me. We are very excited about our first BABY!!!

michael morris

O.K. I put 339 miles on the car 40th with 605hp. yesterday and today.

Some of the Freeway driving was rough (expansion joints), and was starting to get annoying after a while. I could only think of how my wife would complain if she was in the car. I have the Shelby / Eibach suspension upgrade.

Going up the 18 (used to be the worlds highest highway) was a blast! The car pulls very well uphill. Going around curves the car was very well planted. No tire squeal or body roll. I was very impressed! Plenty of extra power if needed.

Unfortunately this morning I couldn't test the downhill well, just to much fog!

Tomorrow on to Calabassas to check out the SS if it doesn't rain.

All the best...

Rick

I still the car is VERY streetable, just has to be driven differently. If it was the only car I had to drive it wouldnt bother me driving it everyday.

I live in a small town so I really can take it anywhere and TRY HER OUT, but Bud has posted and he told me to give it a few miles before I really work her hard.

I aint scared of not police :hysterical::hysterical3::hysterical: (I just kidding if any local guys are on here :hysterical: )

michael morris

Hey Mike your car the SS is not built 725 hp naturally It's aspirated air hp through the super charger...

so your high RPM's is where the SWEET spot is....without supercharged air your power or hp is down.

Like you said you need some seat time and learn where your shift points are!! Have fun I'll have to wait a while to join you I'm number 561 on the SS list....I'll be waiting for a while Thank's Kent

Hey Mike your car the SS is not built 725 hp naturally It's aspirated air hp through the super charger...

so your high RPM's is where the SWEET spot is....without supercharged air your power or hp is down.

Like you said you need some seat time and learn where your shift points are!! Have fun I'll have to wait a while to join you I'm number 561 on the SS list....I'll be waiting for a while Thank's Kent

Thanks Kent.

First if you have time I would love for you to post your info in the CSM thread. Im keeping a spreadsheet on the SS. I dont see your number listed.

I agree about seat time. The BIGGEST thing is I turned the TC OFF. When I would shift it would kill the RPMs and it looked like I didnt know how to drive a manual shift :hysterical: I drove it today without the TC and the car runs ALOT better.

michael morris

Thanks Kent.

First if you have time I would love for you to post your info in the CSM thread. Im keeping a spreadsheet on the SS. I dont see your number listed.

I agree about seat time. The BIGGEST thing is I turned the TC OFF. When I would shift it would kill the RPMs and it looked like I didnt know how to drive a manual shift :hysterical: I drove it today without the TC and the car runs ALOT better.

michael morris

Hello Mike I just got confirmation on my csm number from Cynthia! I was on the list for the SS last year around late July...but did'nt have a car yet. I finally was able to find a good deal through a dealer my wife does business with...she's a finance rep for Wells Fargo. The dealer locked me in on a 2008 allocation for a 4500 ADM...get this I was talking to several dealers and I got a call on a lead for an

2008 SGT500 that just came in and would sell this car for MSRP! This was to good to be true...so I went to take a look at this other dealers car and see it in person ...same color...same options, I asked this GM If could he hold it for 24hrs he did! I went home only to find out my car at my origanal dealer had arrived and it's ready for delivery...this was insane I hit the lotto 2 cars in less than 24 hrs. I called my origanal dealer back and talked to him...telling him what has happened....I told him Iwanted to honor my agreement and buy the car from him but I have another dealer with an SGT500 for MSRP i TOLD HIM WHAT WOULD YOU DO he said buy the other car.....I told him keep my down payment sell me this car for MSRP he said ok !!!! I paid 500 over MSRP crazy story but 100 percent true. So lonnnnggg story short I got my car three days before Christmas....But I got passed on the list for SS and now they stopped taking deposits but they at least are assigning csm numbers and I'm in and will get one I hope!!! congrats to you on your new ride enjoy...got to go Kent

Hello Mike I just got confirmation on my csm number from Cynthia! I was on the list for the SS last year around late July...but did'nt have a car yet. I finally was able to find a good deal through a dealer my wife does business with...she's a finance rep for Wells Fargo. The dealer locked me in on a 2008 allocation for a 4500 ADM...get this I was talking to several dealers and I got a call on a lead for an

2008 SGT500 that just came in and would sell this car for MSRP! This was to good to be true...so I went to take a look at this other dealers car and see it in person ...same color...same options, I asked this GM If could he hold it for 24hrs he did! I went home only to find out my car at my origanal dealer had arrived and it's ready for delivery...this was insane I hit the lotto 2 cars in less than 24 hrs. I called my origanal dealer back and talked to him...telling him what has happened....I told him Iwanted to honor my agreement and buy the car from him but I have another dealer with an SGT500 for MSRP i TOLD HIM WHAT WOULD YOU DO he said buy the other car.....I told him keep my down payment sell me this car for MSRP he said ok !!!! I paid 500 over MSRP crazy story but 100 percent true. So lonnnnggg story short I got my car three days before Christmas....But I got passed on the list for SS and now they stopped taking deposits but they at least are assigning csm numbers and I'm in and will get one I hope!!! congrats to you on your new ride enjoy...got to go Kent

Whew! I'm exhausted... :blink:

Congats on the car and the deal!

Drove her to FL this weekend. Right at 500 miles round trip. Mostly interstate but about 50 total miles thru town and stop and go traffic.

According to the onboard CPU

Avg MPH 60

Avg MPG 16

The car is amazing. On the interstate the cruise was set on 80 and VERY little drone with the new mufflers. Unless you get on REALLY bad roads the car is not to stiff. We did go thru some road work and some of those bumps would get your attention. I wanted the car to be stiff so this didnt bother me. I only got into the S/C one time. I was running about 80 and wanted to get around some traffic, so I dropped into 5th and let gave her some gas. Then just playing dropped her into 4th and the car was AMAZING. The whine and the speed just blows your mind. At 80 she will jump to over 100 before you know it. I let off at about 120 because the traffic was getting bad. The car will go faster than I have the Testicalur fortatude to drive it. ( I dont have the balls to drive it as fast as it will go)

You can be running along at 80 in 6th gear and the car still jumps when you hit the pedal.

I dont know if I said this or not, but these cars are AMAZING.

MM

Drove her to FL this weekend. Right at 500 miles round trip. Mostly interstate but about 50 total miles thru town and stop and go traffic.

Avg MPH 60

Avg MPG 16

The car is amazing. On the interstate the cruise was set on 80 and VERY little drone with the new mufflers. Unless you get on REALLY bad roads the car is not to stiff. We did go thru some road work and some of those bumps would get your attention. I wanted the car to be stiff so this didnt bother me. I only got into the S/C one time. I was running about 80 and wanted to get around some traffic, so I dropped into 5th and let gave her some gas. Then just playing dropped her into 4th and the car was AMAZING. The whine and the speed just blows your mind. At 80 she will jump to over 100 before you know it. I let off at about 120 because the traffic was getting bad. The car will go faster than I have the Testicalur fortatude to drive it. ( I dont have the balls to drive it as fast as it will go)

You can be running along at 80 in 6th gear and the car still jumps when you hit the pedal.

MM

Thanks MM sounds like you had a great time!!!

Avg MPH 60

Avg MPG 16

MM

Sounds like it was a nice drive, Michael. And the mileage is a lot better than your original report of 10 point something. It's about the same as my 5.4L F-150, so I can live with that.

How was the grip when you got on it? traction control still off? Did you ever feel the back end going sideways? Too many questions? Just one more... Can I borrow your car? :happy feet:

Sounds like it was a nice drive, Michael. And the mileage is a lot better than your original report of 10 point something. It's about the same as my 5.4L F-150, so I can live with that.

How was the grip when you got on it? traction control still off? Did you ever feel the back end going sideways? Too many questions? Just one more... Can I borrow your car? :happy feet:

Yes alot happier with 16 than 10, but not near as much fun :hysterical:

Running 90 and down shifting to 4th with the TC off was no problem. I was going straight and it REALLY hooked up. Felt like we were shot out of a canon. Funny thing is I missed the shift. I was planning on going to 6th and missed. Just flat missed, but the car seemed to REALLY like it. Got into the S/C and BAM!!! she was flying. It was a AWESOME feeling.

Borrow? I dont know what that means!!!! :hysterical3::hysterical:

michael morris

Michael / Son of GT

Might I suggest that you guys, and others when you get your Snakes back, post your impressions in this topic, or one like it? The pictures are all great, but many including myself would like to get impressions of how each car drives. While each you can't directly compare one to the other, maybe when you post your feelings on something (like harshness), the other could chime in on their experience.

After some of Son of GT's posts, I have to wonder if 605HP isn't enough, even for the coupe. Still thinking 725, though.Thanks for sharing, guys! :superhero:

There might be benefit in making such a topic a Sticky, so others will use it when the time comes.

Here is a message from Jim Bell:

In all the 17 years in the supercharger business I have never had a customer request LESS HP or ask for a larger pulley to kill HP. Kill detonation, yes but HP, no!

I grew up racing in the mid 50's racing flatheads. At that time I thought my 14.70/95mph 200hp 308" Hornet powered Hudson Jet was the “Shelby Super Snake” of 1954. It was a FAST street car for me-at that time. It was ENOUGH!

My 400hp Stage 1 Buick was fast ENOUGH 101/13.9 off the showroom floor. We built prototype Stage 2 car for Buick-a 11 second/122mph car that would run in the 10's with slicks. For the tires in those days it was definitely fast enough.

I waited a long time for a car like the Shelby GT 500. Sorry but I had 500HP in 1970 and I tried the 600HP Super Snake version in 2007. It wasn’t enough for me. Oh, I could probably squeeze 625 out of it if I were to cut the drive down for a 2 1/8" pulley or install a larger crank pulley and exceed the RPM recommended by the supercharger manufacturer. But then everyone still might ask: "Couldn’t afford the 725HP Super Snake? Or is it too much power for you?"

Well today I like my 725HP Shelby. For one thing, I can make 850HP with only a pulley change and Torco octane booster. Now THAT is enough! It’s about as much fun as I can handle. Yeah, it scares me. I’m in my 60's and I LOVE that car more than anything I’ve ever owned- except for the Super Snake it will soon be converted to.

600,500,400 may be too much street power for some. 200HP is too much for my 90year old mother. Everyone has their limits.

As soon as Shelby catches up on production, I’ll get my Super Snake 725HP. I’m well aware of all the attention a Super Snake gets. I drove one for a day. Nothing like it. No way could I tolerate everyone smirking and asking "Couldn’t afford the 725HP?" or worse yet "Too much power for you?" And if I ever did decide it’s "too much power" I can throw on a pulley in less than two minutes and vary it from 650-850.

Me? No way I can settle for less.

Jim Bell

In all the 17 years in the supercharger business I have never had a customer request LESS HP or ask for a larger pulley to kill HP. Kill detonation, yes but HP, no!

Jim Bell

Beautiful! This is great info! I haven't read anything yet that is moving me away from the 725, but early reports about the 605 made me wonder if that was good enough, and that 725 would be a painful drive once the novelty wore off. I want to WANT to drive this car, and it would kill me to do all this and just end up parking it, because of harshness or whatever. As the miles add up and the opinions are shared, I'll make a well-informed decision. If I had the call today, it would be 725! :happy feet:

I grew up racing in the mid 50's racing flatheads. At that time I thought my 14.70/95mph 200hp 308" Hornet powered Hudson Jet was the “Shelby Super Snake” of 1954. It was a FAST street car for me-at that time. It was ENOUGH!

My 400hp Stage 1 Buick was fast ENOUGH 101/13.9 off the showroom floor. We built prototype Stage 2 car for Buick-a 11 second/122mph car that would run in the 10's with slicks. For the tires in those days it was definitely fast enough.

I waited a long time for a car like the Shelby GT 500. Sorry but I had 500HP in 1970 and I tried the 600HP Super Snake version in 2007. It wasn’t enough for me. Oh, I could probably squeeze 625 out of it if I were to cut the drive down for a 2 1/8" pulley or install a larger crank pulley and exceed the RPM recommended by the supercharger manufacturer. But then everyone still might ask: "Couldn’t afford the 725HP Super Snake? Or is it too much power for you?"

Well today I like my 725HP Shelby. For one thing, I can make 850HP with only a pulley change and Torco octane booster. Now THAT is enough! It’s about as much fun as I can handle. Yeah, it scares me. I’m in my 60's and I LOVE that car more than anything I’ve ever owned- except for the Super Snake it will soon be converted to.

600,500,400 may be too much street power for some. 200HP is too much for my 90year old mother. Everyone has their limits.

As soon as Shelby catches up on production, I’ll get my Super Snake 725HP. I’m well aware of all the attention a Super Snake gets. I drove one for a day. Nothing like it. No way could I tolerate everyone smirking and asking "Couldn’t afford the 725HP?" or worse yet "Too much power for you?" And if I ever did decide it’s "too much power" I can throw on a pulley in less than two minutes and vary it from 650-850.

Jim Bell

I agree completely. You can always back off the throttle to use less HP, but YOU can only push the throttle to the floor.

CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGHT HP!!!!!

michael morris

I agree completely. You can always back off the throttle to use less HP, but YOU can only push the throttle to the floor.

CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGHT HP!!!!!

michael morris

I agree!!

I built a 4.6 modular with a 2.8 KB and trust me it is a strong blower. It put down 768RWHP with headwork, cams and stock compression on a built motor with more possible with a drop in pulley size. It opens up the possibilities to those who want obscene power.

Beautiful! This is great info! I haven't read anything yet that is moving me away from the 725, but early reports about the 605 made me wonder if that was good enough, and that 725 would be a painful drive once the novelty wore off. I want to WANT to drive this car, and it would kill me to do all this and just end up parking it, because of harshness or whatever. As the miles add up and the opinions are shared, I'll make a well-informed decision. If I had the call today, it would be 725! :happy feet:

I would love to have the KB blower but us vert types aren't allowed one on the SS. So, 605 it is and you may well know that people are doing some great things with the TVS as there is apparently alot of HP left in it (since 605 is the base line). :yup:

Archived