TEAM SHELBY FORUM

shaky hood at higher speeds

doctorjay

Last weekend my wife and I were out for a drive in the wide open space of West Texas :burnout: . 75 degrees and dry conditions, smooth road but with 10-15 mph cross wind. We passed someone , with the jump down from 6th to 3rd gear, and were screaming down the road at about 120 when I noticed the hood seemed to be literally bouncing/shaking from side to side. It looked like almost an inch of lift on each side of the front end of the hood as it rattled side to side. The back edge (closest to me) where the hinges are was moving much less. I immediately slowed down to the speed limit :cry: and in the next little town pulled over and opened/closed the hood, all seemed tight and I got up to 120 again about 30 minutes later and it didn't recur - but we were traveling with a tailwind then. I am wondering if anyone else has seen this, if this is a reason to add the hood lock/pins, if this may have been related to the cross wind ? or what? thanks

jay

If I recall there was rash of badly adjusted hoods during '07 job-1. From what I recall all that's required is to adjust the screw-snubbers on each side so they tightly hold the hood when latched. If I recall a few folks also had to adjust the release mechanism because when they adjusted the snubbers to eliminate the play the hood sat a bit proud of the fenders. But, yes, this has been seen before and the fix is fairly simple. You can use a piece of paper to check for a snug fit. I'm guessing yours is a job-1 '07? If not, maybe an assembler just wasn't on his/her game that day. I did a search to find the earlier threads on this subject -- checked back thru May '07 (that's as far as the search would look back for some reason) but couldn't find them. If you have some time you can give it a try too. Good luck!

Dan

If I recall there was rash of badly adjusted hoods during '07 job-1. From what I recall all that's required is to adjust the screw-snubbers on each side so they tightly hold the hood when latched. If I recall a few folks also had to adjust the release mechanism because when they adjusted the snubbers to eliminate the play the hood sat a bit proud of the fenders. But, yes, this has been seen before and the fix is fairly simple. You can use a piece of paper to check for a snug fit. I'm guessing yours is a job-1 '07? If not, maybe an assembler just wasn't on his/her game that day. I did a search to find the earlier threads on this subject -- checked back thru May '07 (that's as far as the search would look back for some reason) but couldn't find them. If you have some time you can give it a try too. Good luck!

Dan

Dan - thanks for your help - I'll try the paper trick and see how much I need to adjust the snubbers. Do not know build time/job # except that have an 08 that was delivered to the dealer 1st week of December 07. Jay

It seems like you applied a significant torsional force when you shifted down from 6 to 3 and made the pass ....and that kinda tested the structural rigidity.

:superhero: And I thought they were made for that !!

It also tests the intestinal fortitude of unsuspecting pasengers ! :happy feet:

jay

Thankfully my 08 doesn't do that and I've had it up to 140. At least it's an easy fix!

Dan

Dan..Could it be this thread:

http://forum.teamshelby.com/forums/index.p...ters,hood,loose

Just what is the speed li :hysterical3::hysterical3::hysterical::hysterical: mit where you guys are at?

Space....the final frontier. These are the voyages of the muscle car...Shelby GT500. To explore vast open roads. To seek out Corvettes, and kill them. To boldly go were no car has gone before!!!

(this is were the music starts)............

Airborne :alien:

Yeah, thanks sharabi ...that's one of them -- good find!! -- I think there was another too that talked more about the adjustment ...possibly that was on another board but I thought it was here.

Just what is the speed li :hysterical3::hysterical3::hysterical::hysterical: mit where you guys are at?

Speed limits are merely guidelines. That's all.

Welcome to Texas. Home of the Toll Road and 70mph speed limits. The Viper club races on the Toll Roads. So do I once in awhile against someone worthy. Beat an 05 Vette a couple of weeks ago (was when I hit 140). That guy was NOT happy. The look on his face was priceless as I passed him. I even slowed down going through the toll booth, then tossed it into 3rd again to pass him a second time....and a third time....and a 4th time. We were both having fun, but he still wasn't happy losing to a Mustang. That automatic transmission didn't help him at all. I did get a thumbs up from him afterwards.

Speed limits are merely guidelines. That's all.

Welcome to Texas. Home of the Toll Road and 70mph speed limits. The Viper club races on the Toll Roads. So do I once in awhile against someone worthy. Beat an 05 Vette a couple of weeks ago (was when I hit 140). That guy was NOT happy. The look on his face was priceless as I passed him. I even slowed down going through the toll booth, then tossed it into 3rd again to pass him a second time....and a third time....and a 4th time. We were both having fun, but he still wasn't happy losing to a Mustang. That automatic transmission didn't help him at all. I did get a thumbs up from him afterwards.

was yours SS. how many hp did you opt to?

Thia is another thread on same problem, look at last post in this thread :

http://forum.teamshelby.com/forums/index.p...c=5552&st=0

i did search on hood stop adjusters but could not reach any other related thread...i will try again when i have more time.

I however fond this on another forum, am not sure if all mustangs share same setup as far as hoods:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005...ent-issues.html

I'm in line. 08SS0234. I'm going for 725hp to start with. The Vette wasn't a Z06..which would most likely eat me.

I had the same issue, granted it was a gt500 but at about 145 the hood started floating. Since I was in a vert with the top down I had a vision of the hood breaking loose and slamming over the top of the windshield and killing me. I will be looking at adjusting mine or putting on hood pins in the future.

I just had that happen the other day on my 08. I had a pretty good stretch of clear road ahead of me so I decided to get on it a little. I got around 125 and the hood started shaking so bad I thought it was unlatched. Scared the crap out me.

Glad to know now that it's a quick fix. Thanks for the links guys.

Archived