TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Mods for Friday,28 March

After a lot of question asking, reading on here and everywhere I could find info. and talking extensively with my shop, Here is what's going to happen this Friday... I was originally thinking I'd just throw a supercharger on my 07SGT and cruise around with 500rwhp like it was no big deal. It didn't take long to realize this was a quick ticket to a blown motor. So, I still wanted to humiliate Vipers and other cars in that class...or at least surprise them. Getting a ProCharger P-1sc-1 High output supercharger with 3 core intercooler. This will be custom tuned to around 450rwhp max. I am keeping the 18" wheels and putting Nitto 555's 285/40/18's on the back , the Granatelli adj. rear lower control arms, and the Fays2 watts link. I will play with this through the summer while trying to baby it a little. These mods are costing me around $7500.00. Since I am not made of $$$$, I will continue this in the fall before I store the car. at that time I will return to the shop to add headers, have the heads ported, and replace the crank, pistons, and rods with upgraded, forged hardware. Possibly a pulley change and then a re-tune for a goal of 550 - 575 rwhp will then be on the conservative / safe side, while still being something I can drive on the street all spring and summer. I will have to wait and see what, if any strengthening is needed throughout the remainder of the drivetrain and address that in the spring of '09. So... Thanks for all the assistance. I am almost having as much fun learning this stuff as I have---and will have---driving this beautiful machine.

After a lot of question asking, reading on here and everywhere I could find info. and talking extensively with my shop, Here is what's going to happen this Friday... I was originally thinking I'd just throw a supercharger on my 07SGT and cruise around with 500rwhp like it was no big deal. It didn't take long to realize this was a quick ticket to a blown motor. So, I still wanted to humiliate Vipers and other cars in that class...or at least surprise them. Getting a ProCharger P-1sc-1 High output supercharger with 3 core intercooler. This will be custom tuned to around 450rwhp max. I am keeping the 18" wheels and putting Nitto 555's 285/40/18's on the back , the Granatelli adj. rear lower control arms, and the Fays2 watts link. I will play with this through the summer while trying to baby it a little. These mods are costing me around $7500.00. Since I am not made of $$$$, I will continue this in the fall before I store the car. at that time I will return to the shop to add headers, have the heads ported, and replace the crank, pistons, and rods with upgraded, forged hardware. Possibly a pulley change and then a re-tune for a goal of 550 - 575 rwhp will then be on the conservative / safe side, while still being something I can drive on the street all spring and summer. I will have to wait and see what, if any strengthening is needed throughout the remainder of the drivetrain and address that in the spring of '09. So... Thanks for all the assistance. I am almost having as much fun learning this stuff as I have---and will have---driving this beautiful machine.

Sounds like a good plan you have there, but why did you come to the conclusion that driving around with 500HP would blow your motor? These motors are rated up to about 600HP if I recall. I haven't seen anyone yet blow a motor from putting on a /SC kit without upgrading to forged materials.

A couple of things gave me the idea I'd blow the motor... Foremost, my inexperience as a driver with this kind of power. I guess I got the impression that 500rwhp translated to approx. 600 at the crank and nearly everyone I asked told me this is well beyond safe with the stock rotating assy. Keep in mind that I pointed out my lack of knowledge not only as a driver, but as a gearhead too, so I wanted advice leaning more toward a conservative approach in order to allow me to comfortably play with this car as I learned... without destroying it. Along with the fact that the upgrades contained in the second half of my plan will cost me another $6000.00 - $6500.00, this spring and summer will not only give me time to save up some $$$, but also become familiar with the greater power while hitting a few tracks... and possibly large parking lots. A friend at work actually suggested a week long driving school called Bondurant. I may do this also.

Gotchya. I thought you were talking about 500HP at the crank. Don't think you will have any problems eating up vipers and vettes with 600HP at the crank on these cars :)

It depends on the Vipers and Borevettes you "plan" to "walk"...They may end-up eating you alive :hysterical:

By careful who you pick on :slapfight:

Now that it's getting to be nice weather here in Ohio, I'm sure I will see you out sometime. So far, the only SGT sighting for me in Canton has been a black one going the other direction on Fulton near Lake Cable last year (unless you count the black one still sitting in the showroom at Downtown Ford).

I will have to wait and see what, if any strengthening is needed throughout the remainder of the drivetrain and address that in the spring of '09.

Sounds like a great plan and you will have an outstanding car for the $7500!

On the drive train, the stock Tremec TR-3650 transmission is only rated to 360 ft/pounds of torque so you may be leaving some of it on the pavement later on if you go with the forged internals and more boost on the SC.

Of course while you are at it you may as well throw in a lightweight flywheel, high performance clutch, aluminum driveshaft, etc, etc, etc… It’s only money!

By the way if you are going to be chasing Vipers I have seen a couple of 9 second ones at the local track so be careful what you wish for…

Good Luck and please post updates when you get you car back.

Wow, gofastguy... That's close to home! I didn't realize anyone from this forum was right here in Canton. You probably will see me, as I work at Timken and am in Canton every day. BTW, Akron Horsepower is doing my motor work. They have a web page and from what I understand, from a lot of sources, they are the best you can find in this area... just in case you go looking for a local shop.

Cudafly, thanks for the info on the tranny. I guess that will need attention too. I am leaning toward the SPEC twin disc clutch kits I found on the LFP link here. Also the aluminun drive shaft. Actually, the transmission was the only thing I had not put any time into as yet, so if you have a solid suggestion, I am all ears.

Archived