TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Dealer messed up my tune?

I have a question went to the dealer friday to get oil change. They said there was a recall on passenger air bag,they needs to hook up to computer to reset system then the service manger said the computers were not talking to each other well they said it was fixed. when i was driving home notice my shelby was shifting different and power range was off, felt like my 06 gt mustang power and shifting,could the dealer mess up the tune when they connected to my computer in the car and reset the tune to factory mustang gt settings

Thanks

Shelbydog CSM08GT0826

I have a question went to the dealer friday to get oil change. They said there was a recall on passenger air bag,they needs to hook up to computer to reset system then the service manger said the computers were not talking to each other well they said it was fixed. when i was driving home notice my shelby was shifting different and power range was off, felt like my 06 gt mustang power and shifting,could the dealer mess up the tune when they connected to my computer in the car and reset the tune to factory mustang gt settings

Thanks

Shelbydog CSM08GT0826

If you had an aftermarket tune on the car (SCT, Bama, Brenspeed, etc) - they easily could have messed up your modified tune. If they over-wrote your modified tune with an OEM ECU reset, they wipped out whatever you had. Not sure it will be simple to reload whats on your hand held tuner either at this point.

If you have an aftermarket tune on your car, its always important to be up front and let the dealership know about it. Good idea to take your hand held tuner with you also - so that they can reload the OEM tune before doing an ECU reflash on your car.

I believe he's saying that while the dealer was fixing the passenger side airbag recall that he wiped out the factory "SAI" tune. If thats the case they better get that fixed. I know when ever I take my car in I'm telling them not to fix the air bag.

If your SGT is bone stock and the dealer screwed your tune up, then they need to contact Ford's tech support and have them either "FORDSTAR" or email the FRPP CAI tune to them.

As most of you many have already noticed when you purchased/picked up your SGT that it did not come with a tuning module in the trunk for the CAI tune even though the CAI kit from FRPP includes one.

That's because Ford decided that it would be easer and cheaper just to retain one master tune file and send it out to dealer's as necessary, but I suspect that most service manager's don't know that and assume that the car's tune is the same as a stock Mustang GT which they think will get updated as necessary during the flash upload. It's highly possible that your dealer went into the car's ECM and screwed up your tune, when all they were supposed to do to fix the airbag recall was to re-flash the PCM which does not involve or contain the car's tune.

My advice would be to go back to the Service Manager and explain this information to him or her and request that they download the CAI tune from Ford and re-flash your ECM.

And if you have a good relationship with the dealer/Service Manager, ask if they will put the tune on a thumb drive for you. That way you can have it ready for them in the event they screw it up again in the future.

Hope this helps.

Son of GT,

Might I have an issue with the supercharger tune when I take it for the air bag recall?

Yes if the dealer screws with your ECM and not the PCM. Stand over them and make sure that they leave the ECM alone, they DO NOT need to go into that module to fix the airbag recall.

If they tell you that they do, leave that dealer as fast as you can and go see John at RSM Ford. Let me know if you do, and I'll call him in advance to make sure that his shop leaves your tune alone.

Thanks

Shelbydog CSM08GT0826

This has always been one of my BIG worries please keep us updated on what, and how long it took, to get resolved.

When I took in my SGT for the recall I made sure to tell them 2 things. This car is 1.5 inches lower than a regular GT and it has a different tune on it from Shelby. I know for a fact they did not change the tune on my car because I had it dynoed a few days later and I got 280 RWHP and 299 RWTQ.

I think I will live without the air bag recall too. My wife is 5'8" and if she ever does let me date a real short girl, I'll have her wear the seatbelt and move the seat back so she can stay safe...

My wife hates my "stupid" car, she's the only short woman (5' 4") that would ever be ridding in my car and she hasn't set foot in it since October of 06 :hysterical: Which, now that I think about it, is probably a good thing considering all the mods that have happened since then :happy feet:

Now our kids do ride in my "stupid" car and usually one in the front seat and one right behind the passanger, but when they do the air bag automatically shuts off because they aren't 100+ pounds.

This is funny because I recieved my recall notice today 3/24 and I decided not to get it fixed because I didn't want them re-flashing my car. Heck, I don't even want them looking under the hood.

Speaking of Miss Johnson, she loved it when I had my M5 and the 911 GT before it, I couldn't get the keys away from her sometimes. Anything German is OK in her book...She's really good to me otherwise, just hates my "stupid" car :hysterical:

My wife hates my "stupid" car, she's the only short woman (5' 4") that would ever be ridding in my car and she hasn't set foot in it since October of 06 :hysterical: Which, now that I think about it, is probably a good thing considering all the mods that have happened since then :happy feet:

Now our kids do ride in my "stupid" car and usually one in the front seat and one right behind the passanger, but when they do the air bag automatically shuts off because they aren't 100+ pounds.

This is funny because I recieved my recall notice today 3/24 and I decided not to get it fixed because I didn't want them re-flashing my car. Heck, I don't even want them looking under the hood.

Speaking of Miss Johnson, she loved it when I had my M5 and the 911 GT before it, I couldn't get the keys away from her sometimes. Anything German is OK in her book...She's really good to me otherwise, just hates my "stupid" car :hysterical:

Hehehehehe - your "stupid" car probably brakes better than your M5 or the 911 did huh :)

I would definitely get it fixed if you are putting kids in the front seat. When they get close to 100 pounds, the airbag light will go off and on. Probably due to the fact that hitting bumps on the road causes more weight to the seat and thus causing the system to activate/deactivate. I'm sure you don't want it to activate right before a crash. Just not a smart chance to take.

If you had an aftermarket tune on the car (SCT, Bama, Brenspeed, etc) - they easily could have messed up your modified tune. If they over-wrote your modified tune with an OEM ECU reset, they wipped out whatever you had. Not sure it will be simple to reload whats on your hand held tuner either at this point.

If you have an aftermarket tune on your car, its always important to be up front and let the dealership know about it. Good idea to take your hand held tuner with you also - so that they can reload the OEM tune before doing an ECU reflash on your car.

If you have a SCT tuner, before you go in, put your "Shelby Stock" tune back in. Read the strategy code Number in your SCT hand held tuner (Last page of info on screen). WRITE IT DOWN! Even if you tell them not to touch your tune, it may still happen! When you get your car back, check the Strategy number on your tuner. If it is different then the one you wrote down before taking you car in,

DO NOT TRY TO RE-FLASH YOUR CAR UNLESS THIS NUMBER IS THE SAME FROM BEFORE YOU TOOK IT IN!!!

If it is different, then they changed the tune and if you try to re-flash, It will not run!!

You will have to contact (In my Case Brenspeed) to have them send you duplicate tunes with that new number to your email so the tunes in your tuner will re-flash correctly with the right info. You will have to "UNLOCK" the tuner from your car Esentially making your tuner New like when you first got it so it can re-save the stock tune (The new tune that you may have just got from ford) as it did the first time you used it. I have seen this happen a few times.

Here is an excerp from another site.....

This issue has come up a few times and I feel I need to make a post about it to help. Please feel free to pass this along to ANY forum you may post on that may have a 05-up Mustang both GT and V6..

I've had a few customers that even when they returned their vehicles to stock and went to the dealer and the dealer reflashed or updated their calibrations. When they got home they reloaded the tune into their vehicle and it wouldn't start. Also, when they tried to return the vehicle to stock it wouldn't start.

Explaination....

When the dealer updated their computer it then changed the Calibration code inside the PCM. Unlike 04 and earlier models the X-calibrator didn't see this as a new vehicle and simply deleted the tune that the dealer installed and wrote the old program on the PCM. This old tune doesn't have the same settings and this causes the car not to start, to put it in simple terms.

Now for the bad part, being that it deleted the tune file that the dealer has installed it wont start. Returning the vehicle to stock doesn't work either because all you are doing is returning it to the factory program from the intial tune.

In other words, the dealer would have to reflash the new code into the PCM again.

Now, Prevention.....

The first thing you need to do when you get your X-calibrator in is to goto " Read DTC menu" and then scroll down to " Read Strategy" and read this information from your car. Then write this down somewhere secure, like inside the X-calibrator box.

Then, if you have to take your car in for service first check your strategy by doing the above after returning it to stock. Take it in for service and when you get the car back BEFORE uploading a tune Read the strategy again and compare it to the one you had before taking it in for service.

If they match then simply install the tunes and drive away happy.

If they do not match then DO NOT install the tuner but rather contact your SCT dealer and give them the new Strategy code and get some new tunes for your new code.

Every dealer CAN email these to you, not every dealer WILL email these to you.

Hey thanks guys for all the info about the tune problem,I'm going to the dealer thursday see what they say! :angry22: When i call to tell them about the shelby tune the service manger was lost go figure that one :slapfight: well we will see in acouple days I'll keep you guys posted!

shelby dog

Hey thanks guys for all the info about the tune problem,I'm going to the dealer thursday see what they say! :angry22: When i call to tell them about the shelby tune the service manger was lost go figure that one :slapfight: well we will see in acouple days I'll keep you guys posted!

shelby dog

Hope they get it squared away for ya....

I just re-read the initial post and see it was not an aftermarket tune situation (SCT,Diablo,ect...) but a Ford/Shelby situation. I need new glasses...... :happy feet:

Thanks

Shelbydog CSM08GT0826

I also had the recall done a few weeks ago and I wasn't really paying attention to how the shifting were before the fix. How would I know if I still have the SAI tune or the stock GT tune?

I also had the recall done a few weeks ago and I wasn't really paying attention to how the shifting were before the fix. How would I know if I still have the SAI tune or the stock GT tune?

I'm afraid at this point, Only seat of the pants. The Shelby tune is far different then a stock GT tune. Unless you had a device to read info before and then after, then you wont know unless you feel a big power difference. I used to have a stock 07 Gt and the SGT is night and day difference.

A cheap way of doing it is get it dynoed on a dynojet. A stock SGT tune will be about 275rwhp and a stock GT will be around 255rwhp. You definitely will feel that difference also.

I'm afraid at this point, Only seat of the pants. The Shelby tune is far different then a stock GT tune. Unless you had a device to read info before and then after, then you wont know unless you feel a big power difference. I used to have a stock 07 Gt and the SGT is night and day difference.

Thanks Ed, are you currently running on Brenspeed tune? If so, how is it compare to SAI tune? Is it work the money?

Thanks Ed, are you currently running on Brenspeed tune? If so, how is it compare to SAI tune? Is it work the money?

Yes , i am.

To me, it is worth it. But, It all depends on what your looking for. It changes the personality of the car.

Its the overall feel of the car that is different. The SAI/Shelby/Ford Racing tune is great. But i need something a little more aggressive. More of a Hot rod feel. Everybody drives thier car different so whats good to me may be so, so, to another but, such is life. I will put it to you this way,

A buddie of mine has a 63 corvette 327, 4 speed, about 340hp crank. At least once a month we take a run up the mountain that is behind our town, really twisty, quick elevation changes. On the "Stock Shelby" tune we are close but, he can slowly walk away from me on a straight. With the Brenspeed tune, We are on equal terms. I can stay with and when room permits, pass him. Not fly by but, pass. Also, you know when you let off the throotle to slow down and the rpm hangs a little, then slows down, then kind of does nothing? I dont have that anymore. When i start to line up for a corner and let off, the car acts like a real stick car and slows down all the way thru the rpm range. So im not on the brakes as much, where as before i was always braking early instead of now later into the corner.

I'll quit babbling now, but, you get my drift.

Worth every penny......... :superhero:

Yes , i am.

To me, it is worth it. But, It all depends on what your looking for. It changes the personality of the car.

Its the overall feel of the car that is different. The SAI/Shelby/Ford Racing tune is great. But i need something a little more aggressive. More of a Hot rod feel. Everybody drives thier car different so whats good to me may be so, so, to another but, such is life. I will put it to you this way,

A buddie of mine has a 63 corvette 327, 4 speed, about 340hp crank. At least once a month we take a run up the mountain that is behind our town, really twisty, quick elevation changes. On the "Stock Shelby" tune we are close but, he can slowly walk away from me on a straight. With the Brenspeed tune, We are on equal terms. I can stay with and when room permits, pass him. Not fly by but, pass. Also, you know when you let off the throotle to slow down and the rpm hangs a little, then slows down, then kind of does nothing? I dont have that anymore. When i start to line up for a corner and let off, the car acts like a real stick car and slows down all the way thru the rpm range. So im not on the brakes as much, where as before i was always braking early instead of now later into the corner.

Hi Ed!

Have you dynoed your car? If so, could you please post your results?

Thanks!

Hi Ed!

Have you dynoed your car? If so, could you please post your results?

Thanks!

Hey Mr. Ferrell....How you doin? Long time no see since vegas......

Stock (Shelby Tune) about a year ago it was 280 rwhp and torq was 302.9 if memory serves....

I have not dyno'd it for the Brenspeed tunes but, maybe this summer. I would be willing to guess though that they (The tunes) are pretty close in numbers.

Yes , i am.

Well said Ed. Thanks for your input.

Thanks

Shelbydog CSM08GT0826

Well I searched other forums about this issue and I found this thread:

http://www.mustangforums.com/m_4767000/tm.htm

Your question was already asked by many and no they shouldn't have messed with your tuning. But let us know when you visit the dealer.

I would think if they flashed back to stock tune that your car would not be running right at all. There would be way too much air in the mixture due to the CAI. If it did run then it would be way too lean which would probably not be a good thing at all in the long run. I'd get it checked out pronto.

I would think if they flashed back to stock tune that your car would not be running right at all. There would be way too much air in the mixture due to the CAI. If it did run then it would be way too lean which would probably not be a good thing at all in the long run. I'd get it checked out pronto.

I would think you should be getting lean codes also.....

On the other S197 i had, i ran a CAI without a tune and CEL came on within a mile with a lean code. So as said above, im sure you would be having drivability issues and such if it were a "Stock Gt" tune and the Ford Racing CAI.

Archived