TEAM SHELBY FORUM

anyone lose there Shelby on the 400 ?

Pony Ride

Reports say they took 120 cars for 50 km over law this Easter long weekend :angry22:

Okay what is the 50km law?

I assume if you are going 50 over the speed limit?

In Virginia and North Carolina they say they can impound your car for going over 80, I don't know where you could find out how many they actually have?

Okay what is the 50km law?

I assume if you are going 50 over the speed limit?

In Virginia and North Carolina they say they can impound your car for going over 80, I don't know where you could find out how many they actually have?

50 Klm law is this:

"Street racers are just accidents that haven't happened yet.

A new street racing law went into effect today in Ontario and the first offender was stopped 60 seconds later. The young man stood crying as his mother's car was towed and impounded by police while another driver was stopped after being clocked at 174 km/h.

He was traveling 174 in an 80 km zone. (109 mph in a 50 mph zone!)Two lane road!

A total of 24 people had their cars and licenses suspended in the first 24 hours of the new law going into effect. The law now means that cars will automatically be impounded for 7 days, driver's licenses are suspended for a week, and a minimum fine of $2,000 is imposed for anyone caught driving 50 km over the posted speed limit.

Ontario residents say it is about time something was done about the escalating street racing on Toronto city streets and Ontario highways. When a truck driver lost his life on highway 400 north of Toronto in June, Ontario residents had reached a boiling point.

One of two cars racing on the busy highway cut the driver off causing his vehicle to leave the road. The driver's widow said she is glad to hear of the new street racing law and hopes it will save lives. Another resident says that most of us speed moderately but if you are traveling at 50km over the speed limit, it is deliberate and it can't be tolerated any longer. Ontario residents are hopeful that the new street racing laws will deter potential racers.

While there are no official statistics for street racing related deaths in Ontario, there have been 33 people killed due to street racing incidents in the last 6 years."

That's a quote from Darlene McFarlane, Mar 23, 2008

• 2 months later...

Ok this one has been on the 'books' for a while now but...

This new 'law' where the police officer can be judge, jury and executioner on the side of the road has some of us concerned.

Due process. <-- IMPARTIAL members of society in a court of law.

If found guilty in a court of law FINE; there is no reason for taking my property on the side of the road - in the officers disgression - has many of us concerned.

• If the officer feels you chirped your tires - your car is impounded with the usual fines & fees.
  • If the officer feels you were racing - be it driving beside another vehicle on the road - your car is impounded with the fines & fees.
  • If you are found not guilty in a court of law - you do NOT receive compensation for the towing, impound etc etc.
  • If found not guilty, your license is still impacted because your insurance was notified of this 'charge' PRIOR to the conviction being actually registered. Who pays there?
  • Who will pay for the damage to my property while being 'stored' in the impound yard? I don't think my insurance or my wallet should cover.

http://www.petitiononline.com/civil013/petition.html

Long read in the link below; there are people for and against the 'police state' in progress here.

We have NO issue with points, license issues if you are guilty but IF up to the road side police officer - who is human and MAY be in a foul mood, crappy day, doesn't like the look of your face, you're screwed. <-- due process?

http://www.gtamc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50104

Give it some thought all I ask.

If you were 'targeted', yes this can happen as it is up to the officer ,you could be in for a costly venture even IF found not guilty in a court of law.

Archived