TEAM SHELBY FORUM

High altitude tuning for GT 500

ColoCobra

I just bought a GT 500 from a dealer in upstate New York. I had it shipped to Denver and drove it home today into the mountains. I live at 7000 feet. It seemed to run fine. Do I need to take it to a local dealer for tuning of any kind? Thanks.

It seemed to run fine???? :shrug:

That's all the info we get?? :shrug::shrug:

How'd the wheel feel in your hands? How does it feel to have 500 horses under you right foot? How'd it sound? Did you open her up a little? Did anyone wave or give you a thumbs up? Is the shifter smooth? Did you burn a little rubber just for fun? Come on! We need to know some of these things!!!:D

OK OK. The car runs and sounds awesome. I haven't slept in two nites before picking the car up today I was so excited. I drove her home 115 miles thru the moutains mainly in 4th gear 65, 70, 75 mph keeping revs around 3000. I have owned a turbo'd Porshce 944 and a 2000 BMW M5. I think this car is quicker than either of these. I opened her up once in 4th (I really like the blower whine) and once in second coming onto the on ramp for I 70. The tires broke loose almost instantly in 2nd. This car handles, corners, rides like a sports car and looks like a muscle car. It is a real mountain car. I think I can sleep at nite now knowing my Shelby is in my garage. I have Torch Red with white stripes and black and red interior. Had a lot of people cruise up next to me for a look and then drop back to look at her rear end. A lot of people are going to have sore necks in Colorado tomorrow. I love this car. I feel very fortunatel.

The tires broke loose almost instantly in 2nd.

Woo HOO! Now THAT'S what we want to hear!! Thanks for all the additional info, and for sending my PSDS right through the roof!!

I don't know how to answer your technical question, but I would bet that the computer takes care of the air/fuel mixture as you go up, and the blower takes care of any power losses you might have at altitude.

the blower takes care of any power losses you might have at altitude.

The supercharger will supply more than enough compression to take care of any air density issue related to altitude. the factory tune should compensate as well. If you were to get serious, you might want to find a local tuner and kick around the thought of perhaps pulling a bit of timing at the top end just to be safe. Unless your going whole hog(ie twin screw) I wouldn't give it another thought though. I would suggest however you be careful of any handheld tuning program(as opposed to a datalogged dyno tune) as those tunes tend to max out the car for nationwide averages. Do some research first!! (P.S. I'm very jealous, I probably won't get into the rockies with my car until next spring... :banghead:)

I just bought a GT 500 from a dealer in upstate New York. I had it shipped to Denver and drove it home today into the mountains. I live at 7000 feet. It seemed to run fine. Do I need to take it to a local dealer for tuning of any kind? Thanks.

Congrats ColoCobra. It looks like Shelbys are finally starting to make it to Colorado. It also sounds like the factory tune will compensate for any altitude issues. Good news.

Archived