TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Anyone else have trouble filling their Shelby with gas?

Do you have trouble filling your 2007 - 2008 Shelby with gas?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have trouble filling your Shelby with gas?

• Yes. I have trouble filling my Shelby with gas most or all of the time.
    • No.

Just an update. I have tried some the things everyone has suggested. Leaving the key on or leaving it running does the trick. Thanks for all the advise.

I haven't been able to fill mine at all! How do you get that damn "GT" gas cap off? I finally gave up and I am awaiting the new gas cap from SAI that Amy has promised! I'm surprised I'm the only one commenting on this issue. You all seem more upset about the scoop fix but until I get the gas cap fix I can't drive my car! :banghead:

Jeff, you need the new Berg Snake Shelby GT gas cap. That will fix your problem. :)

This only happened to me once, and it doesn't really match with the symptoms mentioned here, but I thought I would throw it out for consideration.

On a recent road trip of 140 miles, I was down to 1/4 tank and I stopped to fill up. LuLu drank about 12.1 gallons of fuel before the automatic shut-off. I usually stop there, thinking the tanks are full.

I pulled back on the road and noticed my fuel gauge indicated only 3/4 full. Funny, the "math" added up, but the gauge wasn't showing it. Figuring that the auto shut-off was premature, I drove on, but kept an eye on it.

After about 1/2 an hour of driving, the gauge suddenly popped up to the full mark. Stuck float? (Shrug) Since this only happen once, I'm not going to worry about it, but I will keep an eye out for a repeat, and for many of the other symptoms mentioned here.

Thanks gents, happy motoring!

I have it happen about 1/3 of the time. I think depends on how sensitive the nozzle is set (in California they are very anal about the fumes).

For instance; on base at NAB Coronado sometimes I can not fuel up at all, I found 2 pumps that allow me to gas up if the nozzle is upside down. At the Miramar station I have no problems. Also if I fuel up in the morning, while it is still cool, I have no problem anywhere.

Maybe this is the problem: :headscratch:

TSB

07-21-12

• FUEL FILL SLOW, OR DIFFICULT TO FILL

Publication Date: October 17, 2007

FORD:2005-2007 Mustang

This article supersedes TSB 06-3-13 to update the vehicle model years.

ISSUE:

Some 2005-2007 Mustang vehicles may experience premature automatic shut off of the fuel fill nozzle. Several variables, including variations in fuel pump nozzles, fuel flow rates, and fuel flow pressure may result in the premature automatic shut off of the fuel fill nozzle making it more difficult to fill the fuel tank. The automatic shut off in the fuel fill nozzle may trigger multiple times after delivering several gallons of fuel or it may trigger repeatedly when attempting to establish fuel flow into the fuel tank. The latter concern may be more common when adding fuel to a vehicle where the fuel level is at or above 1/2 full.

ACTION:

Refer to Service Procedure.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

On 2005 Mustangs vehicles built before 4/26/2005 that experience premature automatic shut-off of the fuel fill nozzle more than occasionally may benefit from replacing the fuel tank with a revised design tank per TSB 05-15-12. The revised design fuel tank may reduce the occurrence of premature automatic shut off.

On 2005 Mustang vehicles built on or after 4/26/2005 and 2006-2007 model year vehicles were built with the revised design fuel tank. As a result, replacing the fuel tank on these vehicles will not change the occurrence of automatic fuel fill shut off.

Occurrences of premature shut-off may be resolved or improved by using a different filling station fuel pump. Unauthorized modifications and/or alterations to the vehicle are not reimbursable under warranty and are not recommended for this issue.

• 1 month later...

The TSB says:

On 2005 Mustang vehicles built on or after 4/26/2005 and 2006-2007 model year vehicles were built with the revised design fuel tank. As a result, replacing the fuel tank on these vehicles will not change the occurrence of automatic fuel fill shut off.

Which tells me, though I have never had the problem, there is no fix.

Archived