TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Anyone else have trouble filling their Shelby with gas?

Do you have trouble filling your 2007 - 2008 Shelby with gas?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have trouble filling your Shelby with gas?

• Yes. I have trouble filling my Shelby with gas most or all of the time.
    • No.

I have had my 2007 Shelby GT for several months now but with winter in Ohio I haven't been able to drive it much. I've only been able to fill it three times. Every time I have filled it, I have had to fight with it. I couldn't even get it to fill past 3/4 the last time. I've done a search here and on the net and have found the problem in the 2005. They replaced the tank for them. I have seen 2005s and 2006s with the problem too and it seems to be a carbon can assembly issue. Here is a good sight that talks about it. http://ratstangrestoration.com/05_mustang_tank.htm

I believe the carbon can is the issue with mine. It get's much worse after the tank get's about half full. The tank is designed kind of like two tanks attache at the top. So the side with the filler tube fills first and can vent at the fill tube. Once it starts filling the other side, it can only vent out the carbon can assembly.

I'm doing a poll because I'm curious if this is a common problem still or mine is an isolated case.

This problem may be tied in with my black smoke problem. http://forum.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13275&hl=\black+smoke\

Once it's stops snowing and flooding in Ohio, I can get it to the dealership and see what they say. I just want to be prepared before I go.

Thanks to all who take the poll.

The GT-H that I rented in January out in CA for the BB was the same way. It always seemed to vapor lock when filling. Someone at a gas station out there suggested turning the pump handle upside down and then put it in and fill. That worked well for the rest of the time.

Search the regular Mustang forums. There have been reported issues with this in 05'06 but supposed to have been fixed in late 06 I think. There is a TSB someplace I believe but again for the older cars but it might give a clue. Again go to the other Mustnag forums and search there.

Good luck!

No problem at all with my '08.

However, that is an indication that the vent is clogged. Sometimes if there is a dip in the vent tube, gas can get trapped (like the trap under your sink) and prevent the air from escaping when you fill the tank. The back pressure will trip the shutoff on the pump handle. It may also interfere with fuel pressure by creating a partial vacuum in the tank.

I have had my 2007 Shelby GT for several months now but with winter in Ohio I haven't been able to drive it much. I've only been able to fill it three times. Every time I have filled it, I have had to fight with it. I couldn't even get it to fill past 3/4 the last time. I've done a search here and on the net and have found the problem in the 2005. They replaced the tank for them. I have seen 2005s and 2006s with the problem too and it seems to be a carbon can assembly issue.

Well it sounds like you did your homework and you might alredy have this but here is the Technical Service Bulliten (TSB) for the problem when they found it on the '05 models. Have not seen a TSB for '07 models but this might help when you go to the dealer.

TSB_05_4_8.pdf

TSB_05_4_8.pdf

I did have issues initally (2007 car) but it has been almost a year since it last happened. The problem is "normal" but not right. What's happening is that our gas tanks are equipped with electronically controlled vapor recovery valves that sit on top of the tanks. Sometimes that valve stays closed which causes the fuel dispenser to shut off because the vapor pressure in the tank has no place to up but back up into the filler neck. If you're still having trouble, try cycling the key to the on postion (not start) to see if the vapor recovery valve opens up for you.

The other reason why it can sometimes be difficult to fill you tank is because it's still too full. I used to be in the habit of topping my tank off everytime I put the car away. If I took it out for a short run and only used up a quarter tank, I would top the tank off afterwards. I don't do that anymore because it caused the fuel sensor float in the tank to get stuck, and made it difficult to fill the tank too. I recommend that before you take your car in for service that you try running the tank down below half full before refilling it. I suspect that your filling problem will go away after doing that.

Hope this helps.

Note: I didn't vote because I did not see a catagory for "Had the problem, but it's now gone".

I have had it happen only 3 times in the 1.2 years of ownership. What i do now when filling is just let the fuel flow into the tank at the slower rate from the pump. Have not had a problem since.

The only problem I have filling my 2008 is paying for the fuel. :shift::drop:

FORD: 2005-2007 Mustang

This article supersedes TSB 06-3-13 to update the vehicle model years.

ISSUE:

Some 2005-2007 Mustang vehicles may experience premature automatic shut off of the fuel fill nozzle. Several variables, including variations in fuel pump nozzles, fuel flow rates, and fuel flow pressure may result in the premature automatic shut off of the fuel fill nozzle making it more difficult to fill the fuel tank.

The automatic shut off in the fuel fill nozzle may trigger multiple times after delivering several gallons of fuel or it may trigger repeatedly when attempting to establish fuel flow into the fuel tank. The latter concern may be more common when adding fuel to a vehicle where the fuel level is at or above 1/2 full.

ACTION:

Refer to Service Procedure.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

On 2005 Mustangs vehicles built before 4/26/2005 that experience premature automatic shut-off of the fuel fill nozzle more than occasionally may benefit from replacing the fuel tank with a revised design tank per TSB 05-15-12. The revised design fuel tank may reduce the occurrence of premature automatic shut off.

On 2005 Mustang vehicles built on or after 4/26/2005 and 2006-2007 model year vehicles were built with the revised design fuel tank. As a result, replacing the fuel tank on these vehicles will not change the occurrence of automatic fuel fill shut off.

Occurrences of premature shut-off may be resolved or improved by using a different filling station fuel pump. Unauthorized modifications and/or alterations to the vehicle are not reimbursable under warranty and are not recommended for this issue.

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:

05-15-12

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

==========================================

FORD: 2005 Mustang

This article supersedes TSB 05-4-8 to update the vehicle build date information.

ISSUE:

Some 2005 Mustang vehicles built before 4/26/2005, may exhibit the fuel tank being slow or difficult to fill. The condition may be described as, repeated rapid shut-offs of the filling station pump nozzle, or multiple nozzle shut-offs when attempting to fill the fuel tank. The condition may be due to the fuel tank vapor venting system inside the fuel tank.

ACTION:

Install a new fuel tank. Refer to Section 310-01 of the Workshop Manual. The new fuel tank has a revised internal venting system to improve fuel filling.

NOTE: SOME PUMP NOZZLE SHUT-OFFS MAY BE DUE TO THE FILLING STATION PUMP DELIVERING THE FUEL TOO QUICKLY. THIS IS NORMAL.

PART NUMBER PART NAME

5R3Z-9002-AA Fuel Tank

WARRANTY STATUS:

===========================================================

FORD: 2005-2007 Mustang

This article supersedes TSB 06-3-13 to update the vehicle model years.

ISSUE:

Some 2005-2007 Mustang vehicles may experience premature automatic shut off of the fuel fill nozzle. Several variables, including variations in fuel pump nozzles, fuel flow rates, and fuel flow pressure may result in the premature automatic shut off of the fuel fill nozzle making it more difficult to fill the fuel tank.

The automatic shut off in the fuel fill nozzle may trigger multiple times after delivering several gallons of fuel or it may trigger repeatedly when attempting to establish fuel flow into the fuel tank. The latter concern may be more common when adding fuel to a vehicle where the fuel level is at or above 1/2 full.

ACTION:

Refer to Service Procedure.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

On 2005 Mustangs vehicles built before 4/26/2005 that experience premature automatic shut-off of the fuel fill nozzle more than occasionally may benefit from replacing the fuel tank with a revised design tank per TSB 05-15-12. The revised design fuel tank may reduce the occurrence of premature automatic shut off.

On 2005 Mustang vehicles built on or after 4/26/2005 and 2006-2007 model year vehicles were built with the revised design fuel tank. As a result, replacing the fuel tank on these vehicles will not change the occurrence of automatic fuel fill shut off.

Occurrences of premature shut-off may be resolved or improved by using a different filling station fuel pump. Unauthorized modifications and/or alterations to the vehicle are not reimbursable under warranty and are not recommended for this issue.

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:

05-15-12

WARRANTY STATUS:

IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

==========================================

FORD: 2005 Mustang

This article supersedes TSB 05-4-8 to update the vehicle build date information.

ISSUE:

Some 2005 Mustang vehicles built before 4/26/2005, may exhibit the fuel tank being slow or difficult to fill. The condition may be described as, repeated rapid shut-offs of the filling station pump nozzle, or multiple nozzle shut-offs when attempting to fill the fuel tank. The condition may be due to the fuel tank vapor venting system inside the fuel tank.

ACTION:

Install a new fuel tank. Refer to Section 310-01 of the Workshop Manual. The new fuel tank has a revised internal venting system to improve fuel filling.

NOTE: SOME PUMP NOZZLE SHUT-OFFS MAY BE DUE TO THE FILLING STATION PUMP DELIVERING THE FUEL TOO QUICKLY. THIS IS NORMAL.

PART NUMBER PART NAME

5R3Z-9002-AA Fuel Tank

WARRANTY STATUS:

===========================================================

Exactly................ :superhero:

On my fourth tank of gas with my 08 and it does it every time, I was wondering what the he!! was wrong with it, at first thought it was the gas station I was using so I used a different one and it did the same thing. I need another tank this week so time will tell on the next tank....

On my fourth tank of gas with my 08 and it does it every time, I was wondering what the he!! was wrong with it, at first thought it was the gas station I was using so I used a different one and it did the same thing. I need another tank this week so time will tell on the next tank....

I never really had the issue as I stated but I also have never let the tank get down to 1/4 full prior to filling. Because of the hi-flow fuel pump there is a warning label on the dash telling you not to let it get that low with the Whipple. Don't know about the Paxton people though. Could be why it has never happened to me.

On the 07 GT500 I have had this problem. The first time I filled up,

it dealt me a fit and has continued to do so. Guess I'm going to the

dealer.

Andy

I voted "no" because I haven't had a problem with my personal 2007 SGT. However, the 2007 SGT-H I rented last year had the refill problem. Just to complicate things, the 2006 SGT-H I rented in 2006, didn't have the problem... So I guess two out of three SGT's are "OK"?

I did have issues initally (2007 car) but it has been almost a year since it last happened. The problem is "normal" but not right. What's happening is that our gas tanks are equipped with electronically controlled vapor recovery valves that sit on top of the tanks. Sometimes that valve stays closed which causes the fuel dispenser to shut off because the vapor pressure in the tank has no place to up but back up into the filler neck. If you're still having trouble, try cycling the key to the on postion (not start) to see if the vapor recovery valve opens up for you.

The other reason why it can sometimes be difficult to fill you tank is because it's still too full. I used to be in the habit of topping my tank off everytime I put the car away. If I took it out for a short run and only used up a quarter tank, I would top the tank off afterwards. I don't do that anymore because it caused the fuel sensor float in the tank to get stuck, and made it difficult to fill the tank too. I recommend that before you take your car in for service that you try running the tank down below half full before refilling it. I suspect that your filling problem will go away after doing that.

Hope this helps.

Note: I didn't vote because I did not see a catagory for "Had the problem, but it's now gone".

Thanks everyone for your responses. The car was close to empty. It had about 2 to 3 gallons in it (32 miles to empty). I'll try the key on trick and see if it helps. I'll also try different stations but the stations I go to are the same one's I fill up all my Fords at. None of them have trouble. I even tried filling slow. That didn't help so I don't think it's an issue with pump speed. After next week we should be done with the snow so I can get it to the dealer after that.

I have had the same problem with my GT 500 with 2 out of 3 fill ups :banghead:

I have read elsewhere that if you turn the nozzle upside down (careful not to scratch the paint)

It works like a charm every time

It seems to allow the fuel to flow to the tank better

The GT-H that I rented in January out in CA for the BB was the same way. It always seemed to vapor lock when filling. Someone at a gas station out there suggested turning the pump handle upside down and then put it in and fill. That worked well for the rest of the time.

I don't even try anymore to fill the tank without turning the nozzle upside down.

Yes. That's what I do too when it happens.

Thats one of the most continual problems my dealer told me they get on the S197's. My wife's 06 GT was more intermittent while my Shelby is a hassle every time. They said the hose runs a little up hill into the tank. With it being a saddle tank, as the first side fills up, some fuel tends to run back into the fill hose fooling the pump into thinking it's full. They put a spacer in my wife's Mustang and got the fill hose more level going into the tank. It cut the problem down by at least 50% or more on her car. When they tested it for a venting problem there was none. I am going to have them do it on the Shelby in the near future and see if it helps it also.

Thanks for solving what was becoming a major issue for myself. Last year I had had the same problem over here in Europe with SGT #339, which had driven me insane. It would take 20 minutes of attentive nozzle control to fill up the tank. Not only that, but would have to cope with the pressure from other drivers also waiting to fill up and not understanding the dilemma.

However, when I picked up the new S/C'd car for the roadtrip from Las Vegas in Jan and drove across to Miami...the problem never occurred, something I was happy to discover due to the the increase in fill-ups with the Whipple. This lead me to believe that it was just the previous car.

After the 6 weeks of shipping, clearing customs and not having any time to drive the car I had totally forgotten about the problem, not for long though. Last week had to fill up for the first time again here in Europe and the endless episodes of gas station fill ups came rushing back. So I figured it must be a difference between nozzle sizes in the US compared to Europe. Scoured the internet, nothing. In the end I was scheduling a workshop appointment to see if we could modify the fuel intake system to work over here.

Anyways, to get to the point..when I opened up the forum to see this issue actually being polled I couldn't believe it. I had tried most of the suggestions, but after a weekend of hard, aggressive driving and lots of consumption...I can safely - 3 of 3 - say that leaving the ignition turned on while filling solved the problem. On all occasions it has filled to the max at full throttle.

That it was something so simple, makes it all the more effective.

Hope everyone had a great Easter.

I haven't been able to fill mine at all! How do you get that damn "GT" gas cap off? I finally gave up and I am awaiting the new gas cap from SAI that Amy has promised! I'm surprised I'm the only one commenting on this issue. You all seem more upset about the scoop fix but until I get the gas cap fix I can't drive my car! :banghead:

I haven't been able to fill mine at all! How do you get that damn "GT" gas cap off? I finally gave up and I am awaiting the new gas cap from SAI that Amy has promised! I'm surprised I'm the only one commenting on this issue. You all seem more upset about the scoop fix but until I get the gas cap fix I can't drive my car! :banghead:

i gave up trying to put gas in the GT gas cap when i couldnt find a live pedal instead of a dead one and when i couldnt get air to go thru the hood scoop.

i gave up trying to put gas in the GT gas cap when i couldnt find a live pedal instead of a dead one and when i couldnt get air to go thru the hood scoop.

See...there are so many other issues with this car. Really makes ya wonder if some of these people ever drive them!

my 06 GT has no issues but a recent CA rental car (08 6 cyl. mustang) had this problem on refill in CA> The attendant said the newer stangs have the issue and to pump upside down...it worked. Before he came to the rescue..the pump would NOT start....someone mentioned this but wonder if its the nozzle/input connection...wonder if the angle of certain nozzles causes the pump to think it's done...versus empty...

Archived