TEAM SHELBY FORUM

68 GT390 FB question

gabnmantha

I know this isn't the place to ask this question but it's the closest I can get to real car guys. I restored a Highland green 68 GT390 FB about 6 years ago. All numbers matching. Highland green, 390 Big Block, 4spd, factory A/C.. The restoration took well over a year from floors to the roof. The car is like new. Anyway, I sold it a few years ago to complete house projects like finish the basement, etc. I recently bought a new 08 GT500. It is awesome & fast. It has on 200 miles on it & I have the dash vin plate signed by Mr. Shelby. I added a JLT CAI, & tune & SLP axle backs...a great car.

Well, the gentleman I sold my GT390 to has offered to sell it back to me. He has several in his corral & is in need of other cars. I was thinkin the GT390 is worth about 40K. Any thought's? His first offer was an even swap for my GT500. I said no to that one. I can't afford both cars & have a soft spot in my heart for the GT390 that I built. It is the real deal. However, I have become spoiled with the Shelby & all it represents. The power is incredible & the is great.

Investment wise, which is the best move? keep the Shelby or sell it & buy back the classic GT390?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Regards, Dave

Investment wise, which is the best move? keep the Shelby or sell it & buy back the classic GT390?

Dave this is a tough one. A good case could be made for either vehicle. Both cars appear to be worth $40k right now but the odds are the GT500 will continue to drop in value for a few more years while the 68 should hold steady or increase in value.

A big block Mustang with a manual transmission and factory a/c is somewhat rare which is why it should keep increasing in value each year so basing my answer on investment value only I'd say go with the 68GT.

Steve

Would the 68 become a daily driver? If so, I would stay w/ the GT500. If your GT500 is a "garage queen", and your 68 will be also, hence intended to be a collector car, I would go back to the 68. Collector value is greatly increase with rarity, and GT500's aren't going to be too rare it appears.

The Gt500 is like you say an awesome car but for value you are further off with the 390 G.T , you can always pick-up another G.T 500 in the future as they are making them in 09 ` & will be cheaper in a few years. Its up to you your the only who knows what you want most. GOOD LUCK

Thanks for the help guys. Both cars are garage queens. I would only drive them about 500 miles a year. For the shear ease of driving comfort & power I like the GT500. But lets face it, a #'s matching real Highland green GT390 4spd exactly like the Bullitt Mustang is a keeper. I agree it will at least hold or increase its value & the GT500 will most likely go down.

My wife & kids like the GT500. I like em both but the GT390 is special to me. The jury is still out & I am still in negotiations with the gt390's current owner....I'll keep ya posted..Thanks again for all your thoughts!

Regards, Dave

I sold my 67 Highland green 390 4spd Fastback with 68K original miles mint condition in 2004 to purchase my 04 Cobra. I sold it for 30K to the dealer I work for... He took it to the auction Aug 2007 to see what it would bring, he turned down a 41K bid with a big smile on his face... One of his buddy's told him it was only worth 30K... Hope this helps in your evaluation...

I sold my 67 Highland green 390 4spd Fastback with 68K original miles mint condition in 2004 to purchase my 04 Cobra. I sold it for 30K to the dealer I work for... He took it to the auction Aug 2007 to see what it would bring, he turned down a 41K bid with a big smile on his face... One of his buddy's told him it was only worth 30K... Hope this helps in your evaluation...

Thanks. I really hate to part w/ my GT500. But this will be my last chance to buy this car back. I mean, a 68 GT390 numbers matching Highland green w/ factory A/C that blows ice cold, fold down rear seat, power disc brakes, etc. I restored this car several years ago from the from the frame up. New torque boxes, front floors, rear leaf springs, new interior. Not to mention a high quality engine build & awesome paint. I can get it back for 40k. I know it's worth alot more & will be worth more in the future. I have a dealer that will give me 50k for my gt500 today. I paid msrp of 44500 in january. UPS is delivering my Shelby dash Vin & Sig plaque today. I was thinkn about putting it on e-bay. Any thoughts about what it may be worth? JLT CAI & tune along w/ slp axle back loudmouths. 300 miles.

Thanks for the help guys. Both cars are garage queens. I would only drive them about 500 miles a year. For the shear ease of driving comfort & power I like the GT500. But lets face it, a #'s matching real Highland green GT390 4spd exactly like the Bullitt Mustang is a keeper. I agree it will at least hold or increase its value & the GT500 will most likely go down.

My wife & kids like the GT500. I like em both but the GT390 is special to me. The jury is still out & I am still in negotiations with the gt390's current owner....I'll keep ya posted..Thanks again for all your thoughts!

Regards, Dave

Having both would be great! But the GT500 will out perform the 390 in every situation, who cares if the value drops if your keeping it?

I know how you feel on this one... Your buying a piece of Americana not just a car...And the fact that you restored it makes it all the more sentimental... I always had old big block mustangs and all where as clean as the come, But my 67 Highland green Gt fastback was a keeper...After a few years I grew tired of it and wanted something with more pop, and the terminator was it... Also my boss was calling me every other day on the phone making me offers because he wanted my car bad. So when he hit the magic number I sold it too him..And my other thought was that older cars have become so expensive that they can no longer be considered a hobby.. So for me it was time to get out of the older ones.. I loved the terminator and had a blast moding it,but when I saw the Shelby I knew I had to have one.. If your old one is calling you back you can't go wrong...Get it back!! it's money in the bank only better..

I know how you feel on this one... Your buying a piece of Americana not just a car...And the fact that you restored it makes it all the more sentimental... I always had old big block mustangs and all where as clean as the come, But my 67 Highland green Gt fastback was a keeper...After a few years I grew tired of it and wanted something with more pop, and the terminator was it... Also my boss was calling me every other day on the phone making me offers because he wanted my car bad. So when he hit the magic number I sold it too him..And my other thought was that older cars have become so expensive that they can no longer be considered a hobby.. So for me it was time to get out of the older ones.. I loved the terminator and had a blast moding it,but when I saw the Shelby I knew I had to have one.. If your old one is calling you back you can't go wrong...Get it back!! it's money in the bank only better..

I had a 67 GT390 in highschool and that was the car that got me hooked on Mustangs. While I am still in love with that car, now that I have a GT500 I doubt that I would go back (unless I had enough money to afford two). I agree it would be a better decision to get the 68 if it is just going to sit in the garage, but I bought mine to drive. My thought is when I get old I want fond memories of experiencing the car I bought rather than being afraid to drive it. Just my perspective. No offense intended.

I had a 67 GT390 in highschool and that was the car that got me hooked on Mustangs. While I am still in love with that car, now that I have a GT500 I doubt that I would go back (unless I had enough money to afford two). I agree it would be a better decision to get the 68 if it is just going to sit in the garage, but I bought mine to drive. My thought is when I get old I want fond memories of experiencing the car I bought rather than being afraid to drive it. Just my perspective. No offense intended.

Thanks guys. I fell in love with Mustangs the minute I first saw Bullitt. I looked for a long time to find an actual Highland green GT390 4spd. I finally found it & it took 18 mos. to restore it. when it was done I was able to enjoy it for a short time. responsibilities beckoned, finish the basement, new dogs which meant a new fench, etc, etc....

I bought a few cars from time to time to work on but my mind was never right. Then I went to order a new 08 Bullitt & saw a Vapor Gt500 on the showroom. The dealer offered it to me for MSRP & I figured I'd what the heck. This GT500 is truely fantastic car in every why. When you turn it on, it returns tha favor! But, I may not get this chance again & I can always get another GT500. I have it listed on E-bay as we speak. I just got my Shelby autographed plaque the other day. IT looks so cool. It's tought to sell.

Funny thing is, I got an e-mail the day after I listed the GT500 on e-bay from the GT390's owner telling me he needed a little more time on his decision to sell. Turns out he took her out for pix to send me & started having second thoughts. I can't blame him. He's on the fence at this writing. So, if I sell the car quick enough & he say yes, I'll be able to get the deal done quicker. Wish me luck.!

Thanks for all the responses! Regards, Dave

If you're only putting 500 miles per year on the car I would go back to the '68 if the current owner decides to sell it. The new GT500's are great cars, but they are definitely going to depreciate considerably before they are ever worth more than they are today. The '68 big block is appreciating now and will only continue to do so. If you were driving them enough to worry about comfort and fuel economy I'd say stick with the new one, but investment wise you're definitely better off the old one. If you can get $50,000 for your new one after buying it for $44,500 you're doing great on it! New cars are great, but you can't beat a classic!

You know it could be euphoric recall. I mean you did sell it a few years back. Yesterday I saw a nice 03 cobra. My first thought was I should have kept mine. But would I really be happy with it today after having a gt500. Kinda like an old girl friend that you though was it, but truth be told she was really a pain in the a__. Just my .02.

You know it could be euphoric recall. I mean you did sell it a few years back. Yesterday I saw a nice 03 cobra. My first thought was I should have kept mine. But would I really be happy with it today after having a gt500. Kinda like an old girl friend that you though was it, but truth be told she was really a pain in the a__. Just my .02.

I agree. Friends have mentioned that very statement to me. I drove my GT500 the other day for abour 30 min & it is such a great car. I wish I could have em both. My thoughts are I can replace the gt500 in a year if I need to. The gt390 is not as easy to duplicate.

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Here's the update. I sold the GT500 to a fellow in Austraila & it is paid in full. M 68 GT390 is now in my garage after being dropped off last night. I used Horseless Carriage from New Jersey. They are fantastic! Great communication & service. The car was perfect! Now I need to up grade soem performance on the 390. Any suggestions?

It currently has a Edlebrock intake, pertronix ignition & a jetted holley 4 barrel carb. I was thinkin about headers & a performance exhaust along with changing the gear from the 3:00 to a 3:50 or 3:73. Also, I might add a set of edlebrock performance heads & cam this winter. Any thoughts?

Regards, Dave

Archived