TEAM SHELBY FORUM

600 HP shelby GT500

Shelby101

i sent them a letter asking when the kit will hit the street

YES, INSTALLED AT OUR SHOP. ALLOW 3 WEEKS FOR TURNAROUND TIME. WE WILL HAVE A MAIL ORDER KIT READY IN ABOUT 60 DAYS. OUR SHOP TURNAROUND TIME SHOULD BE DOWN TO ABOUT A WEEK BY THEN TOO.

Best Wishes,

John Hennessey, President

www.HennesseyPerformance.com

TEL: 713-466-3420

FAX: 713-466-3270

Guest evilchris

They (Saleen, Hennessey, et al) better pay you for those stock parts. Afterall, you do own them. That's like me selling my neighbor's car and keeping all the cash.

hennessey yes, because he modifies cars. Saleen, no. Saleen sells cars as NEW vehicles. You aren't buying a Mustang GT from Ford then having Saleen modifying it. You're buying the new Saleen.

Guest evilchris

You can send your car to them.... :fan:

....and they return parts if requested as with any automotive facility. New Saleen's with removed factory parts was implied.

Sure sounds nice, but can't help but wonder two things:

1) Is it vaporware? Would not be the first time they've offered things they haven't even tried yet!

2) Why only 600HP?... +/- 650 is easy to get to (per Ford rep) -- Ford supposedly tested that before release.

Personally, I'd never have Hennessey touch my car; especially when there will be well-engineered aftermarket kits soon enough. Why be Hennessey's R&D program and pay him for that?

But, nice to see the aftermarket starting to step up! :burnout:

Sure sounds nice, but can't help but wonder two things:

1) Is it vaporware? Would not be the first time they've offered things they haven't even tried yet!

2) Why only 600HP?... +/- 650 is easy to get to (per Ford rep) -- Ford supposedly tested that before release.

Personally, I'd never have Hennessey touch my car; especially when there will be well-engineered aftermarket kits soon enough. Why be Hennessey's R&D program and pay him for that?

But, nice to see the aftermarket starting to step up! :burnout:

Im waiting for the supercharger upgrade kit :speedie:

And pay dearly for it, I emailed Henessey and the mail out kit is $6500. You could get the same parts on your own for probably half that.

We'll have to see what the Ford team comes up with next. Recently I saw an interview on TV with Carol Shelby where he said that the Mustang's powerplant could "easily produce 800 HP". Whether he was talking about the GT500's iron block, or the GT's aluminum, he didn't say. One thing's for sure, the future of the Mustang is a bright one!

I'm just worried about the body style make over they're planning for 2008. Motor Trend says it will be all new, and less retro looking. Personally, I love the retro look. We'll have to wait and see. It might be one of those situations where you love the new look better than the retro. With a 600 + HP Stingray Corvette on the way from Chevy in 2008, the muscle car wars are on AGAIN!

- Josh

Found this peice on 600hp Shelby GT500

See link below

http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/hennes...ActionReq=Where

We'll have to see what the Ford team comes up with next. Recently I saw an interview on TV with Carol Shelby where he said that the Mustang's powerplant could "easily produce 800 HP". Whether he was talking about the GT500's iron block, or the GT's aluminum, he didn't say. One thing's for sure, the future of the Mustang is a bright one!

I'm just worried about the body style make over they're planning for 2008. Motor Trend says it will be all new, and less retro looking. Personally, I love the retro look. We'll have to wait and see. It might be one of those situations where you love the new look better than the retro. With a 600 + HP Stingray Corvette on the way from Chevy in 2008, the muscle car wars are on AGAIN!

- Josh

They certainly are!

Amy Boylan, pres. of Shelby Automobiles, says that they're going to be Ford's fast-response team... and that some mods for the HP crowd will be coming soon.

I think the MY '09 refresh ('08) is pushed out to MY '10 ('09) -- at least that seems to be the consensus of some folks who seem to have ties into Ford. I'm hoping that gives Ford enough time to have the F-series pay for the resurrection of the 385-series big-block that could easily find their way into the MY'10 refreshed 'stang. That, with slick Dana IRS used in the Aussie GT-P (hot rumor, since Camaro will supposedly be IRS), would be an awesome base for a Boss 351 (to follow the Boss 302 coming next year?) since the short-stroke 385-series motor just happends to produce 351cid (5.8L) and is one of the two displacements supposedly plannned for the F-series/Navigator -- the other is 6.2L. And what a great base that block would be in the Mustang in alloy -- lighter than the GT500 engine.

In fact, Shelby already has his engine builder in Gardenia, CA building fully modernized and beefed-up

356 T-6 alloy 427cid siamesed 4-bolt big-blocks (with engine mount location identical to old 385-series big-blocks and with the internals also available ala carte). The block goes easily to 514 cid (also available now) and is certified to 1,500HP. They're actually being built for the vintage CS Cobras, but, I'm wondering if that block would not make sense in something like a GT1000 somewhere in our future once Ford gives the MY '10 mustang the base configuration to work with :)

Yes, the HP wars are back!

They certainly are!

Amy Boylan, pres. of Shelby Automobiles, says that they're going to be Ford's fast-response team... and that some mods for the HP crowd will be coming soon.

I think the MY '09 refresh ('08) is pushed out to MY '10 ('09) -- at least that seems to be the consensus of some folks who seem to have ties into Ford. I'm hoping that gives Ford enough time to have the F-series pay for the resurrection of the 385-series big-block that could easily find their way into the MY'10 refreshed 'stang. That, with slick Dana IRS used in the Aussie GT-P (hot rumor, since Camaro will supposedly be IRS), would be an awesome base for a Boss 351 (to follow the Boss 302 coming next year?) since the short-stroke 385-series motor just happends to produce 351cid (5.8L) and is one of the two displacements supposedly plannned for the F-series/Navigator -- the other is 6.2L. And what a great base that block would be in the Mustang in alloy -- lighter than the GT500 engine.

In fact, Shelby already has his engine builder in Gardenia, CA building fully modernized and beefed-up

356 T-6 alloy 427cid siamesed 4-bolt big-blocks (with engine mount location identical to old 385-series big-blocks and with the internals also available ala carte). The block goes easily to 514 cid (also available now) and is certified to 1,500HP. They're actually being built for the vintage CS Cobras, but, I'm wondering if that block would not make sense in something like a GT1000 somewhere in our future once Ford gives the MY '10 mustang the base configuration to work with :)

Yes, the HP wars are back!

I'm a little confused, the 385 series engines were 429 /460, 427's were FE's and the 351 clevelands were the 335 series.

I'm a little confused, the 385 series engines were 429 /460, 427's were FE's and the 351 clevelands were the 335 series.

I think the original big-blocks are, as you say, the FEs: 352, 390, 427, 428 and the 385-series effectively evolved from and replaced the original FE-series around '68, I think. The 385-series, if I'm remember right, have a taller deck height and stouter block but are otherwise very similar -- even the mounting points. The 385-series includes the 429, 460 and 512. The classic 427 4-bolt side-oiler is an FE-series, but either an updated series of the FE (e.g. the Shelby units I referred to) or the true 385-series stroke to 512cid, though the FE never existed at that displacement historically and the 385-series can stroke further with it's taller deck-height. A variant of the FE-series (can't remember it's name) was almost identical but with huge crank/rod journals and was used mostly in low-rev/i-torque applications like trucks and some Loncolns and Merc (if I recall) and were also replaced by the 385-series.

So, yes, the 385s did not actually include the 427 which only existed on the FE base, but the 427 is the classic race engine that drove the cobras and later GT40s to fame. So if the 385 comes back, while not the base of the original 427s, it would be a logical offering at some point for 'cultural' purposes. I suspect a new 385-series as a 'Hurricane' would have to be at least a SOHC 3V or DOHC 4V motor since I can't see Ford stepping down to pushrods at this point and giving up a big advantage. So even if they offer it initially as a 5.8 and 6.2, there would have to be a 7.0 (427) coming along -- it's inconceivable that Ford could resist a 427 once the 385-series is back in production, IMO ;-)

Not sure what base the classic SOHC 427 was on, but I suspect it was an FE-base. Anyone know?

Not to be the bad guy but I highly doubt we'll see production cars with 1K HP anytime soon. Perhaps the potential will be there like the Shelby has potential for 600-800 but no way that comes stock and rated as such. The litigation happy world we live in would find a way to make it Ford's fault when a person couldn't handle that, the insurance rates would be more than the car, etc.

I'm sure we'll all point to some super car example but again these are not in this price range and hardly production numbers like we would want to see. If it does happen - Will we all be upset that the Shelby isn't the top dog????

I think the original big-blocks are, as you say, the FEs: 352, 390, 427, 428 and the 385-series effectively evolved from and replaced the original FE-series around '68, I think. The 385-series, if I'm remember right, have a taller deck height and stouter block but are otherwise very similar -- even the mounting points. The 385-series includes the 429, 460 and 512. The classic 427 4-bolt side-oiler is an FE-series, but either an updated series of the FE (e.g. the Shelby units I referred to) or the true 385-series stroke to 512cid, though the FE never existed at that displacement historically and the 385-series can stroke further with it's taller deck-height. A variant of the FE-series (can't remember it's name) was almost identical but with huge crank/rod journals and was used mostly in low-rev/i-torque applications like trucks and some Loncolns and Merc (if I recall) and were also replaced by the 385-series.

So, yes, the 385s did not actually include the 427 which only existed on the FE base, but the 427 is the classic race engine that drove the cobras and later GT40s to fame. So if the 385 comes back, while not the base of the original 427s, it would be a logical offering at some point for 'cultural' purposes. I suspect a new 385-series as a 'Hurricane' would have to be at least a SOHC 3V or DOHC 4V motor since I can't see Ford stepping down to pushrods at this point and giving up a big advantage. So even if they offer it initially as a 5.8 and 6.2, there would have to be a 7.0 (427) coming along -- it's inconceivable that Ford could resist a 427 once the 385-series is back in production, IMO ;-)

Not sure what base the classic SOHC 427 was on, but I suspect it was an FE-base. Anyone know?

I guess I wasn't very clear. The FE motor, which is also the base for the SOHC motor, is a completely different block than the 385 Series, its narrower and has a different bore spacing. The 385's being wider and longer dont share anything (I dont think) with the earlier FE. What I didn't understand was the reference to the 385 series being used as a basis for the new Hurricane, especially if it is an overhead cam version.

My suspicion is the new engine would be a variant on the Romeo block or modular engine family, however the bore spacing and deck height would likely have to change due to the bore and stroke limitations of the modular engine. It may be a completely new engine design as the 5.4 is really a big package dimensionally and could be tough to fit in some applications, such as the Mustang.

I thought I saw an article somewhere on the Hurricane somewhere and I will try and find it. But my feeble reasoning thinks it would not be a 385 series. :idea:

I guess I wasn't very clear. The FE motor, which is also the base for the SOHC motor, is a completely different block than the 385 Series, its narrower and has a different bore spacing. The 385's being wider and longer dont share anything (I dont think) with the earlier FE. What I didn't understand was the reference to the 385 series being used as a basis for the new Hurricane, especially if it is an overhead cam version.

My suspicion is the new engine would be a variant on the Romeo block or modular engine family, however the bore spacing and deck height would likely have to change due to the bore and stroke limitations of the modular engine. It may be a completely new engine design as the 5.4 is really a big package dimensionally and could be tough to fit in some applications, such as the Mustang.

I thought I saw an article somewhere on the Hurricane somewhere and I will try and find it. But my feeble reasoning thinks it would not be a 385 series. :idea:

I suspect it will just be based on the 385-series but I can't see Ford bringing that block back exactly as-is. I would think it wouild be modernized with modular-family-like valve-train (as opposed to either pushrods or the old Boss 429 OHC) for enhanced breathing and emissions.

Yeah, I've seen several articles titled Ford Bringing Back the 385-series/Hurricane but searches only turn up short summaries. I had read one specifically saying what displacements/models/timing. From what I recall it was 6.2L in trucks/excursion, 5.8L in mustang (great Boss 351 base!) in 2008, but I think that timing is questionable for the 'stang -- can't see that happening until refreshed '09/MY'10.

Archived