TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

2007_Shelby_GT

In the parking lot at work, I've been watching a red Mustang GT slowly evolve. (My SGT, a GT-500, and a Stage-2 Rousch are already there most of the time) At first, it was just a plain old red GT, then one day, black LeMans stripes were draped across the car. Next, a couple of cobras and "GT-500" stripes found their way onto the sides. Today I noticed SHELBY letters on the rear deck. I wonder what will be next, will he spring for a hood or maybe front/rear fascia?

Should we start a "Clone" Pool?

I'll post pics when I remember to bring my camera to work...

SEF

AKA:

How well received are the clone owners on this website? There must be a lot of copies od Shelbys out there!

Personally I don't care. Way I see it is it's your ride do as you wish. Last year there was a couple that showed up in Dearborn with a Red GT that had been done to look like a GT500. At first they were standing around rather quietly. So I walked over and said Hi and looked over his car and told him he did a great job with it. Which it really did look good. So there you go. It didn't kill me to be nice and they felt welcomed and hung around. Another time I was at the shop and there was a guy with a V6 Vert with BULLITT side stripes, a BULLITT badge on the trunk and Bullitt badges on a number of places on the car. I was driving my Bullitt that day. I nodded to him asked him how he was doing and went over to my car on the dyno. He was clearly uncomfortable but it wasn't on my account. Simply because once again.... I don't care what you do to your ride

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery they say. It seems like there are always parts that they do not bother with because they are expensive or difficult to install. On the older Cobra clones, they never bothered replacing the rear bumper cover with the one that had the right letters. Personally, I always look real closely before I allow myself to be impressed...I guess I may be a bit guilty as I have a V-6 vert with a GT grill and fog lights.

Another time I was at the shop and there was a guy with a V6 Vert with BULLITT side stripes, a BULLITT badge on the trunk and Bullitt badges on a number of places on the car. I was driving my Bullitt that day. I nodded to him asked him how he was doing and went over to my car on the dyno. He was clearly uncomfortable but it wasn't on my account. Simply because once again.... I don't care what you do to your ride

I had a Jeep Wrangler that I built up. I liked the look of the Rubicon model (top of the line off road ready model), so I duplicated it pretty much exactly. I did not add the electric locking differentials or the 4:1 transfer case. I figured I would not be doing that much off-roading to justify the cost. Anyways, I went on a Jeep Jamboree that turned out to be A LOT more difficult than advertised. I was trying to drive over two large boulders and the spotter sees it is a Rubicon and yells at me to turn on the electric differentials. Of course, I did not have them and had to reply it was a fake and there were no electric lockers. TOTAL humilation! So, that ended my cloning days.

Fast forward to today, I really wanted (and still do) a Torch Red Shelby GT convertible, but one was never made. I was very tempted to build a clone, but everytime I think about it, I hear myself having to explain to someone I'm driving a fake! I ended up buying a loaded Torch Red GT convertible and adding many of the performance and styling upgrades of the Shelby GT, but absolutely no badging or stripes.

post-3252-1206067725_thumb.jpg

post-3252-1206067725_thumb.jpg

Archived