TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Head gasket oil leak!

pmorritt

2008 GT500 with 1300 miles. At 1k, I took her into local dealer<I bought her in Southern Cal as no dealer had the color and blk/red interior that I was looking for. Last week took her out for a ride and after backing out ot the garage noticed a very small amount of oil on the floor. I told the dealer to make sure that the tech didn't spill any oil during the change and to wipe up any drips. He assured me this was done as this was a Special car. So I thought maybe some oil dripped on a suspension part and just now dripped on the floor. Few days later checked and again very small -maybe 2 drops of fresh oil on the floor-both incidents were on the right side of motor. Took in to dealer and they put it up on the lift. The service manager asked me to verify what he was seeing. Using a mirror and looking up on the right bank-just above the freeze plug, the block had some wetness-oil! He said that it looked like the head gasket was leaking a very small amout of oil. He checked the valve cover and didn't think the leak was there. Ahhhhhhhhhhh. They put a dye in the oil to verify where the leak was and told me to drive it a few hundred miles and bring her back. Comments -suggestions. I am not a happy camper. :censored:

Thanks for your replies. Will bring her back in a few weeks for prognosis. Looking at the engine bay after I calmed down, I see that the oil filler cap is on the right side. Just hoping that the guy who changed to oil did let some drip down that side and that is what I am seeing. No sign of drip this am. I don't believe in coinsidences and the fact that the drips appeared right after the oil change is suspecious. Will keep you posted. :tequila:

After meeting my engine builder & several others at Romeo I find this hard to believe as Detailed oriented as they are.

It has been reported in the past 06' that if the oil tech doesn't cover up the engine cross member oil can/will get into the cross member. I think some one here said it was a welded 2pc unit & had punched holes in it where the oil could get inside it & then slowly leak out btw. the spot welds along the seam. Hope this is all it is.

The dye they used should work within a day of driving it if it's a big leak. The light they use is a black light to show any traces of the fresh dye/oil leaking out.

keep us posted & good luck

:cold:

If it's comming out of the engine the dye will show up for sure... But you say you noticed only after the oil change leads me to believe the lube tech may have missed the oil filler or some ran over the filler...He may have cleaned it best as he could get it, but still some left running down the block... I would keep checking for drips on the floor. And if it stops no harm is done.. By the way our motor is the same basic motor as all fords.. So any dealer should be able to work on it.. Yes, there is a supercharger and a couple more valves, but they are really no big deal

Thanks for your replies. Will bring her back in a few weeks for prognosis. Looking at the engine bay after I calmed down, I see that the oil filler cap is on the right side. Just hoping that the guy who changed to oil did let some drip down that side and that is what I am seeing. No sign of drip this am. I don't believe in coinsidences and the fact that the drips appeared right after the oil change is suspecious. Will keep you posted. :tequila:

http://www.blacklightshop.com/bl6.html

this is the same light we use in office to check for corneal abrasion after using florescene yellow dye. you will be able to get to see it glowing if there was a leak in the engine. I think it is available at target or wal-mart.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok. Update on the oil leak. Took her for an 800 mile run to LA and back. Gud, the power, the ride, the comfortable seats-the POWER. Took her in today and up on the rack-still leaking about a teaspoon on the garage floor. The tech comes back and says " the oil galley plug on the right side of the block was soo loose that I cold turn it with my hand"! Hand built engine- :censored: some body was nappin. As soon as he put the black light on the area it was obvious. Phewww-not the head gasket< but still inexcusable. Well, I left with a smile on my face and some rubber on the road. :happy feet: Guess, now its farkle time :yahoo:

I wonder if it was human error or not. Most all fastners, etc on the Romeo GT500 engine build use sequence-specific guided stations and torque-sensing feedback (electric, not pneumatic) tools. Maybe the oil galley plugs are an exception to that, or maybe not and the 'system' had a problem (very unlikely) ...or possibly that plug is pre-fitted elsewhere before the blocks come to Romeo :shrug:

Glad they got it figured out and it's no biggie!!! :happy feet: ;-)

Dan

Ok. Update on the oil leak. Took her for an 800 mile run to LA and back. Gud, the power, the ride, the comfortable seats-the POWER. Took her in today and up on the rack-still leaking about a teaspoon on the garage floor. The tech comes back and says " the oil galley plug on the right side of the block was soo loose that I cold turn it with my hand"! Hand built engine- :censored: some body was nappin. As soon as he put the black light on the area it was obvious. Phewww-not the head gasket< but still inexcusable. Well, I left with a smile on my face and some rubber on the road. :happy feet: Guess, now its farkle time :yahoo:

See my post #2 in this thread

Told ya so :jackinbox:

Glad you got it fixed.

Joe

Where abouts is that Joe... on the side of the block??

Dan

I beleive that it's in the side of the cylinder head just above the exhaust manifold. I didn't fix mine myself, had a buddy take my car in to the dealership that he's a tech at. Wherever it is on the head, he said it was a tight squeeze to get in there. He added dye to the oil and located it same day. The manual prescribes a procedure but my friend, is a bit more ingenious. He made a tool to fit in there and was able to get it done quicker without removing parts and actually make a bit of money on warranty work, LOL!

Joe

I beleive that it's in the side of the cylinder head just above the exhaust manifold. I didn't fix mine myself, had a buddy take my car in to the dealership that he's a tech at. Wherever it is on the head, he said it was a tight squeeze to get in there. He added dye to the oil and located it same day. The manual prescribes a procedure but my friend, is a bit more ingenious. He made a tool to fit in there and was able to get it done quicker without removing parts and actually make a bit of money on warranty work, LOL!

Joe

Clever! I was trying to locate it on a diagram. There are what appear to be two plugs on each head roughly above the rear-most and front-most cylinders that appear to access the oil reservoir in each head, but can't tell for sure. ...thanks, Joe.

See my post #2 in this thread

Told ya so :jackinbox:

Glad you got it fixed.

Joe

Yes, U got it pegged-'cept it was the plug on the right bank-passenger side. Me thinks these blocks should be checked a wee bit better to avoid these oil leaks! Oh, and btw, the tech who fixed it said that he had a special tool to tighten 'er up. Fix from finding leak-with dye already in-to fix was 1hr 15mins. not bad..

Archived