Shelby GT500 or a Shelby GT?  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Which one will you buy now?

• I'm still planning on buying a Shelby GT500
    • I'm planning on buying a Shelby GT
    • I have already purchased a Shelby GT500 & nolonger care
    • I nolonger care because ADM's are/will be out of control for both cars
    • None of the Above - I'm a NO VOTE

I still want a GT500 as my first choice; however, I refuse to pay ADM so if I cant buy one at MSRP the Shelby GT will be my 2nd choice. Hopefully, the FRPP supercharger will be an available option . . . . we'll see.

Hey, welcome, Ponygirl! Just noticed you're a new poster. Hang out and have fun!

Just curious, what do do you feel the Shelby GT would be worth to you. I'm feeling like $32K (I'm cheap <lol>) but that's just me.

My value point for the GT500 is about $38K (not faulting anyone for paying ADMs if you have to have it now) so I was curious what others feel, if you strip off the NOW factor.

I still want a GT500 as my first choice; however, I refuse to pay ADM so if I cant buy one at MSRP the Shelby GT will be my 2nd choice. Hopefully, the FRPP supercharger will be an available option . . . . we'll see.

`ponygirl 74`

Go for the G.T 500 I think the Shelby G.T isn`t going to be much cheaper.

Onlymy.02c

Anyways welcome hope you can find a fair dealer.

Guest evilchris

Expect $10k minimum ADM on Shelby GT. Sad but true.

I bet you that since these Shelby GT's are being shipped over to Vegas to be modified that the dealers will really put the ADM into high gear. :cry: They will squeeze every extra dollar that they can out of these cars. Some folks got lucky and bought a GT500 at MSRP before the dealers really knew what was going on with the popularity of the car and the demand. Now they know what they can do. They are prepared to inflate the cars price. I am sure they have even set guidelines with the guys that have access to the order bank. The only hope is that the Dodge Challenger compitition in 08 and the Chev. Camero on 09 will help level out the playing field with some price wars.

Expect $10k minimum ADM on Shelby GT. Sad but true.

With at least a 10k ADM on the Shelby GT, you can expect the ADM on the GT500 to be around even longer than most had planned.

Do you really think you will see MSRP on the GT500 which is around $45k while at the same time there is a 10k ADM on the Shelby GT. No friggin way! :doh: If it did happen, it would be a no brainer on which car to purchase.....Also you can expect to see a price increase on the 08 models.... When the 07 models start to get near the end of the build, dealers will say "this is the last one we will get" and thus keep a high ADM in place.

As for the 08 models, there will be a great number already pre-sold with a high ADM and then thebeat goes on, same story about "limited availability and this is our last one we will be getting"....

It will be a game played by dealers until the very end. ADMs will rule throughout the production cycle, like it or not.

Just my opinion!

I bet you that since these Shelby GT's are being shipped over to Vegas to be modified that the dealers will really put the ADM into high gear. :cry: They will squeeze every extra dollar that they can out of these cars. Some folks got lucky and bought a GT500 at MSRP before the dealers really knew what was going on with the popularity of the car and the demand. Now they know what they can do. They are prepared to inflate the cars price. I am sure they have even set guidelines with the guys that have access to the order bank. The only hope is that the Dodge Challenger compitition in 08 and the Chev. Camero on 09 will help level out the playing field with some price wars.

I think you're right! But Ford isn't stupid either. If S_H_E_L_B_Y letters impact sales, those letters might only see SA-mod'd cars in the future. Ford would be nuts to do another high-volume "Shelby," e.g. a GT350 or ???, if name-induced ADMs willlower sales volume -- Ford makes not one extra cent on ADMs. Given the GT500 'gamesmanship' we may see SVT-Cobras back as the mainline Ford hi-po brand -- that'd be fine with me... let the "Shelbys" detour thru SA LV.

Once the Camaro and Challenger ship, the days of ADM will soon be gone (if not before) for the manufacturer branded cars, I think. And when copmpetition arrives, who'd pay a big MSRP and an ADM on a "SHELBY" unless SA really kicks it up big time! Not me ;)

If the '09 get an optional big-block, it will be fodder for a killer SA 'upgrade' ;)

Guest evilchris

It's kinda funny, all 07's stangs that I have seen so far (any type), have all had ADM stickers ranging from 2K to 5k

In San Diego you'll never pay MSRP for a GT even without any special plan pricing. Those days are long gone.

With at least a 10k ADM on the Shelby GT, you can expect the ADM on the GT500 to be around even longer than most had planned.

Do you really think you will see MSRP on the GT500 which is around $45k while at the same time there is a 10k ADM on the Shelby GT. No friggin way! :doh: If it did happen, it would be a no brainer on which car to purchase.....Also you can expect to see a price increase on the 08 models.... When the 07 models start to get near the end of the build, dealers will say "this is the last one we will get" and thus keep a high ADM in place.

As for the 08 models, there will be a great number already pre-sold with a high ADM and then thebeat goes on, same story about "limited availability and this is our last one we will be getting"....

It will be a game played by dealers until the very end. ADMs will rule throughout the production cycle, like it or not.

Just my opinion!

The Shelby GT will be a superior handler to the GT500 stock for stock. Easy as hell to duplicate on a GT but because it says SHELBY all reason will go out the door and the crazed Shelby worshippers will pay the entry fee.

People said the same thing about 03 Cobra's as far as ADM's ruling throughout the production cycle. It won't happen. The Shelby GT will start high and settle down just like the GT500 will. ( has )

It's kinda funny, all 07's stangs that I have seen so far (any type), have all had ADM stickers ranging from 2K to 5k

Can't imagine they're moving fast. V6's have big rebates, and GT's are easily under MSRP if you ask for it.

In San Diego you'll never pay MSRP for a GT even without any special plan pricing. Those days are long gone.

Agree. Unless it's some small dealer or a out of the way town that only has a few dealers I'm amazed anyone would consider paying MSRP much less OVER MSRP.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally saw a GT Hertz for the first time last week, serial #30. Looks great. Now, for what I am disappointed in, as I see the Shelby GT having the same drawbacks:

325 HP for an estimated $35k? Errr....I don't think so

What really bummed me out is when I walked around to the hood.....one of the most prominent aspects of the car, the hood pins and screws were rusted.......and not a little! <Edit: Amy B indicated that after Hertz model #60 they identified the hood pins as a problem and all cars built subsequent to #60 have better spec hood pins. Those before #60 were sent kits with new hood pins direct to Hertz for correction Good for the folks at Shelby, they did right!!> I'm hoping this car will take the pressure off of the '500 so I can kick some butt...large. My .02

I think you're right! But Ford isn't stupid either. If S_H_E_L_B_Y letters impact sales, those letters might only see SA-mod'd cars in the future. Ford would be nuts to do another high-volume "Shelby," e.g. a GT350 or ???, if name-induced ADMs willlower sales volume -- Ford makes not one extra cent on ADMs. Given the GT500 'gamesmanship' we may see SVT-Cobras back as the mainline Ford hi-po brand -- that'd be fine with me... let the "Shelbys" detour thru SA LV.

Once the Camaro and Challenger ship, the days of ADM will soon be gone (if not before) for the manufacturer branded cars, I think. And when copmpetition arrives, who'd pay a big MSRP and an ADM on a "SHELBY" unless SA really kicks it up big time! Not me ;)

If the '09 get an optional big-block, it will be fodder for a killer SA 'upgrade' ;)

I think the high performance models of the Camaros and Challengers have have ADM's too. There's really no reason to think they won't. The Mopar guys will be lined up for these just like the Ford guys are lined up gor GT500's.

I think the high performance models of the Camaros and Challengers have have ADM's too. There's really no reason to think they won't. The Mopar guys will be lined up for these just like the Ford guys are lined up gor GT500's.

Guaranteed to have ADM's unless their product is total crap and no one wants one. Chevrolet and Mopar have no power over their dealers to stop this practice. Only supply and demand will. :rant:

Owen and carnut, good point...

I was talking about ADMs on the Ford products -- thinking that with three manufacturers supplying product, Ford ADMs would fade fast -- especially since the GT500, being out first, might have blunted the edge of Ford demand.

But you are certainly right that there will also be a lot of brand-specific demand too by our brand-X friends. Then they get to experience the ADM insanity too <lol>

I'm wondering if the Shelby Autos dealer agreement will be like Roush and Saleen where they can (if they choose to) control price since it's a separate contract from the ford franchise agreement -- unless the deal with Ford is that the marketing of SA-built product is subsumed under the Ford dealership franchise agreement.

Does anyone have any insight on this?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm making my own Shelby GT500 I could careless about the authenticity I have always liked Shelby from the first time I eversaw one back in the sixties.

I just set it up for this winter to do the conversion. So come this Spring"My Imposter" will roll!..

Not the real thing. but Damn they look sweet!

The Shelby GT really is not that bad...

1. modified by Shelby's factory (nice!), not since 1967.

2. except for the non racing intent, not too far from a 65 GT350...suspension upgrades and about 30 gross horsepower

3. plus, you get a free back seat too.

4. perhaps, they're saving the supercharger for the "350".

5. I'd probably buy one if the dealer's weren't trying to make up lost truck sales on a couple mustangs (one dealer here in Southern Cal has a GT500 for $35K over sticker...please... :censored:

The GT500 is a very nice car, but so is the Shelby GT, take a look at the new Car & Driver and perhaps it may change a few minds.

The GT500 is a very nice car, but so is the Shelby GT, take a look at the new Car & Driver and perhaps it may change a few minds.

Completely agree with what you said. Add a blower, call it '350, and you would have a real killer that handles great...

Don't forget the convertible top for me...

Luckily {sarcasm}, the dealers- with their ridiculous ADMs- have prevented me from purchasing the '500, so I can wait for the comparitive road tests to decide what's best for me...

Completely agree with what you said. Add a blower, call it '350, and you would have a real killer that handles great...

Don't forget the convertible top for me...

Luckily {sarcasm}, the dealers- with their ridiculous ADMs- have prevented me from purchasing the '500, so I can wait for the comparitive road tests to decide what's best for me...

I still watch the web site and keep up on the gt 500 news but I will not pay ADM on a Gt500, I currently own 4 classic mopars all Hemi's and my 71 Cuda convert has 822 rw hp on nos. I love the Gt500 but will wait the geed is sickening. The dealers are only hurting Ford corporate since I could have had the chance to purchased a couple of 500's that local dealers had But I won't pay Adm. And yes 1 of them did sell even with the mark up.So I wait.......and if it is the same with the Challenger I will do the same. Congrates to all who have a 500 but it's so sad that a dealer principle or owner that could care less made the big bucks. Sorry to sound negative but the rich always seem to get richer off the people that have the passion!

I still watch the web site and keep up on the gt 500 news but I will not pay ADM on a Gt500, I currently own 4 classic mopars all Hemi's and my 71 Cuda convert has 822 rw hp on nos. I love the Gt500 but will wait the geed is sickening. The dealers are only hurting Ford corporate since I could have had the chance to purchased a couple of 500's that local dealers had But I won't pay Adm. And yes 1 of them did sell even with the mark up.So I wait.......and if it is the same with the Challenger I will do the same. Congrates to all who have a 500 but it's so sad that a dealer principle or owner that could care less made the big bucks. Sorry to sound negative but the rich always seem to get richer off the people that have the passion!

+1 I won't pay ADM either. So I'll wait -- they'll be down to MSRP and below eventually. Otherwise there's plenty of SE mustangs coming... want to see what the Boss 302 is like... hopefully lightweight, alloy, NA, screamer ;-)

Good luck and hang in there ;-)

My dealer called me today to come see one that was waiting to be picked up....Damn thing left 2 minutes before I could get there they got 78K and sounded proud of themselves for sticking it to the joe smo! But I can't blame them.........there in it for the money, if someone wants to spend it that way, more power to them.......

The ADM's of 10 to 15 K on the GT500 is a small bonus to the dealers that sell them. As you know each dealer is getting 1 or 2 or 3 cars. Ya some got 1/2 dozen cars, but those dealers are far and few inbetween. I have checked around the NW for getting on a list for the 2008 GT500 model year, and some dealers have up to 60 people already. Some of those folks, maybe half or better will drop off, but still think about it; the dealers will only get a couple cars. The ADM's will not go away when so many want the car and there are so few to be had. I think the only way now to get one of the cars is to buck it up if you want one and buy it. A guy better make sure he's gonna keep it for life because he will be hard pressed to get his money back, but lets face it, cars are money loosers. I wish MSRP was law but it is not. This is America, and a free market.

The ADM's of 10 to 15 K on the GT500 is a small bonus to the dealers that sell them. As you know each dealer is getting 1 or 2 or 3 cars. Ya some got 1/2 dozen cars, but those dealers are far and few inbetween. I have checked around the NW for getting on a list for the 2008 GT500 model year, and some dealers have up to 60 people already. Some of those folks, maybe half or better will drop off, but still think about it; the dealers will only get a couple cars. The ADM's will not go away when so many want the car and there are so few to be had. I think the only way now to get one of the cars is to buck it up if you want one and buy it. A guy better make sure he's gonna keep it for life because he will be hard pressed to get his money back, but lets face it, cars are money loosers. I wish MSRP was law but it is not. This is America, and a free market.

You call a 22% (10k) to 33% (15k) mark-up a Small Bonus? This is more like someones 401k plan goals if you ask me :runaway:

You call a 22% (10k) to 33% (15k) mark-up a Small Bonus? This is more like someones 401k plan goals if you ask me :runaway:

For a dealer that got 1 or 2 cars, it's mouse nuts for what it costs to run one of those places. There are many days that they do not sell a single car. There are slumps in all business. Ups and downs. This is one of there ups. Remember we all have choices. I did not have to pay the ADM, I would of loved to of had a MSRP deal. Could not get it. Aint gonna happen this year or next for the most popular, powerfull stock mustang muscle car made. I am just thrilled to get one. When I was a youngster 18 & 19 wanted one, Now I can finally get one 25 years later. :yahoo:

• 2 weeks later...

GT500, only way to roll. Yeah, so I paid a bit of ADM; I'm young, hard-working, and will either make the payments or loose the car. Best thing is that the dealer where I got mine is on their 4th, with more expected. I got the only vert so far and still paid less ADM than the people who got the subsequent coupes. Color has grown on me too and the pre-production vin (suposedly) makes for icing on the cake.

Archived