TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Dealer Asking Prices...with extra details

jrichard

Nope, not CA, but a pretty good guess.

Prefer not to state where at the moment, in case the dealership is trolling this site.

That could jeopardize my deals, and I'm not taking any chances when I have 2 cars on order that I am supposed to get for MSRP. Will probably never happen anyway, but I don't need to go out of my way to make it harder for me to get them.

If the dealership GM tells me it's OK to post the info about the one in their showroom as discussed yesterday, then I'll be happy to state where, and what dealership, and even supply contact info for them if anyone's interested.

Mike.

who care's if the dealership is trolling these sites?? does it really matter if yours is?

we have several long time and very active posters here on this site that come from dealerships

so why would it matter?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weeeellllllll, because I am obviously a special person, the local dealer( who would not talk to me 12 months ago) callled to tell me has has a red Vert I can buy if I am interested.

I said sure, and the price is???

He responeded $68,100

I told him he could keep this one.

He asked if I was interested in the Vert as I had inquired about the coupe in the past,and I said yes; and when you get one to sell at MSRP call me.

who care's if the dealership is trolling these sites?? does it really matter if yours is?

we have several long time and very active posters here on this site that come from dealerships

so why would it matter?

Because I KNOW there is going to be a dispute over the price the day my first car arrives if they're still getting high ADM's.

I have already stated my approach to that day on this board very clearly, and it's not one my dealer is going to like if they try to reneg on our written deposit MSRP agreement at that time.

If my dealer realizes I am talking about them, it would tip them off as to what I plan on doing, as previously posted on this site. I really don't need to give them a "heads up" so they're ready for it.

I doubt they have many customers that have 2 physically on order right now, other than me, so I really don't think I need to wave a big red flag for them to see right now.

IF the GM actually tells me he will take less for the car they currently have, and to go ahead and post info about the car here for you guys, then it is a matter of he will be conceding that the market isn't baring what they're trying to get right now, at which point my deals will be secure enough in my mind that I wouldn't have to worry about it anymore.

In the meantime, I'm not risking 2 cars at MSRP just so I can put the dealer name up here right now, that could cost me $40-k, or maybe even never get the cars at all. Too risky, not doing it.

I may have given too much info already, I'm not going to add to it at this point.

Mike.

10 SHELBY`S sounds like Lonestar hard to believe SORRY

It's not Lone Star.

I really don't see why it matters a lot at this point to others on the thread who the dealer is anyway, as they want 20-k ADM for the one on their floor right now. But if you think it's that important to keep guessing then feel free, but kind of seems like a waste of time in my opinion.

I promise, once I know my cars are still secure at my documented price I will be happy to post any info anyone really wants or needs on this post, OK?

Just trying to help out, but it really makes no diff to me if someone doesn't care for the fact that I can't reveal everything. My priority is my cars, not anyone's opinion of the amount of info I am comfortable with posting here.

"SORRY"

Mike.

It's not Lone Star.

I really don't see why it matters a lot at this point to others on the thread who the dealer is anyway, as they want 20-k ADM for the one on their floor right now. But if you think it's that important to keep guessing then feel free, but kind of seems like a waste of time in my opinion.

I promise, once I know my cars are still secure at my documented price I will be happy to post any info anyone really wants or needs on this post, OK?

Just trying to help out, but it really makes no diff to me if someone doesn't care for the fact that I can't reveal everything. My priority is my cars, not anyone's opinion of the amount of info I am comfortable with posting here.

"SORRY"

Mike.

Mike, don't get baited. Anyone who has an MSRP deal is wise to not reveal the dealership name if there is the slightest question as to whether the deal will get done. I'm in the same boat as you. And if my dealer comes through, I'll be singing his praises. If he doesn't, then we'll both be needlessly spending money and time...

I hope they all rot on they showroom floors and have to x-plan them all...I'm fed up with these dealers attitudes that they have something you want and there going to squeeze every nickel out of you possilbe, there not the least interested in long term relationships, I bought 6 new fords in 6 years...heck with it...'m buying a chevy... :rant:

Gentlemen,

I have been reading your forum for several months now. I had been on a waiting list for a 2007 Shelby since they came out during the auto show. Needless to say, I was disappointed to hear that although I was 3rd on the dealers list, they wanted 15K over sticker. I was so upset that I asked for a refund and bought a 2006 Z06 corvette. I figured that if I were to pay that much, I would get a car with a sticker price that reflected that value. The funny thing is that Ford motor credit is who financed my car..... Cool.

Anyway, I hope to some time get a Shelby or like car when the prices come down. Best of luck to you all to choose to stick it out.

P.S. The Z06 is crazy fast......but the radio sucks.

Regards,

Adrian

Quick update:

The inventory manager at my dealer called me this morning to tell me that my 1st car (the convertible) is being scheduled this week for sure, and that he will have a VIN number and production date for me by Friday! :happy feet:

More to the subject on this thread...

I asked him if the coupe they had on the floor when I was there last was still there, and he said YES.

Guess they're not getting many takers on that ADM sticker...

Mike.

Another Northern California dealer called me today and has a GT500 on the ground. They're asking $30k over.

I'm number 4 on the list. The salesperson (...who has been great to deal with...) told me the 3 folks ahead of me came down to look at the car immediately (...I actually got the notification call a couple of days ago...) but did not submit offers that the owner would accept. He told me he thinks the owner will take $20k-$25k over. He asked me to come down and put in an offer if I'm still interested.

This means that three serious buyers ahead of me, all with deposits to hold their place, did not hit $20k over MSRP. In Northern California. An hour outside of San Francisco.

That's a good thing....the frenzy is slowing. Prices are coming down.

TahoeGT...can you share what you paid for yours? My recollection was that you purchased near SF...maybe Half Moon Bay?

Another Northern California dealer called me today and has a GT500 on the ground. They're asking $30k over.

I'm number 4 on the list. The salesperson (...who has been great to deal with...) told me the 3 folks ahead of me came down to look at the car immediately (...I actually got the notification call a couple of days ago...) but did not submit offers that the owner would accept. He told me he thinks the owner will take $20k-$25k over. He asked me to come down and put in an offer if I'm still interested.

This means that three serious buyers ahead of me, all with deposits to hold their place, did not hit $20k over MSRP. In Northern California. An hour outside of San Francisco.

That's a good thing....the frenzy is slowing. Prices are coming down.

TahoeGT...can you share what you paid for yours? My recollection was that you purchased near SF...maybe Half Moon Bay?

jrichard:

The one by me has been sitting for a week with a $20-k ADM on it, so my guess is they're not even geting that. Probably only getting offers around $10-15k is my guess. The wait for our cars to be built, although excruciatingly painful emotionally, is certainly going to save a lot of people money financially.

jrichard:

The one by me has been sitting for a week with a $20-k ADM on it, so my guess is they're not even geting that. Probably only getting offers around $10-15k is my guess. The wait for our cars to be built, although excruciatingly painful emotionally, is certainly going to save a lot of people money financially.

Where are you located?

I told the sales guy that called me today to take a look on ebay at completed auctions...that the bids are running out at $15k over and that they are on a bit of a downward trend. He was surprised by that...but had not looked at eBay. So, the dealer is a bit uninformed on pricing.

They set a $30k ADM by surveying dealers in this area and collecting information on actual sales (very few..he said he there had been four sales) and asking prices. But pricing information from a month ago is "old." Even from two weeks ago.

Where are you located?

I told the sales guy that called me today to take a look on ebay at completed auctions...that the bids are running out at $15k over and that they are on a bit of a downward trend. He was surprised by that...but had not looked at eBay. So, the dealer is a bit uninformed on pricing.

They set a $30k ADM by surveying dealers in this area and collecting information on actual sales (very few..he said he there had been four sales) and asking prices. But pricing information from a month ago is "old." Even from two weeks ago.

That's a question I won't be be able to answer until at least Friday, once my dealer faxes me the VIN confirmation so I know my car is secure.

But, were not that far apart, same side of the Rockies, but different state.

As far as the dealer being "un-informed" my guess is they're FULLY informed. If prices were going up on E-Bay, hwe would have been the first to tell you so.

Mike.

That's a question I won't be be able to answer until at least Friday, once my dealer faxes me the VIN confirmation so I know my car is secure.

But, were not that far apart, same side of the Rockies, but different state.

As far as the dealer being "un-informed" my guess is they're FULLY informed. If prices were going up on E-Bay, hwe would have been the first to tell you so.

Mike.

If its the dealer where you're getting your car at a good price, I think you shouldn't disclose the name until your car is in hand. Best of luck there. Similarly, I won't disclose where my MSRP deal is until I have possession.

Re: informed dealer...it could be he is informed. I don't think so simply because of my history of dealing with him and the fact that he's not happy about the owner pushing ADM, etc., etc., etc. Could be I'm getting bs'd.

I think, though, that he's just doing what he's been told and he's not happy about the potential of pissing off regular customers. I can hear it in his voice and the messages he's left for me with a tone of sarcasm with respect to the dealership management. I also think there are a lot of good salespeople out there who are caught between their customers and their management on this issue. There are also, of course, a lot of crappy sales people looking to lie/cheat/steal to get a deal.

A quick survey of completed auctions looks like 10-12 over is the current price. A month ago it was 18-20. This trend will continue and the prices will fall.

The Coming Shelby GT will take a lot of heat off the GT500 market. A lot of people will see it as the "real" Shelby and want to pay too much for it instead.

I'm saying Feb at the latest for typical deals to be MSRP. There will likely still be some suckered into paying a couple grand over, but, MSRP will be common.

Hm, this is a relist.

Also, if you notice, this one is sold as used.

Clearly a speculator that bought it to title and resell, probably because the dealer wouldn't let him sign it over to someone else without the dealer making an ADM instead of him.

In any case though, I have to believe that is affecting the selling price some, as the purchaser won't be the "original" owner...

Mike.

Also, if you notice, this one is sold as used.

Clearly a speculator that bought it to title and resell, probably because the dealer wouldn't let him sign it over to someone else without the dealer making an ADM instead of him.

In any case though, I have to believe that is affecting the selling price some, as the purchaser won't be the "original" owner...

Mike.

Yeah, I noticed the relist after I pasted the link here.

The good news is that these types of flips will become increasingly common and will put downward pressure on all GT500 pricing.

A quick survey of completed auctions looks like 10-12 over is the current price. A month ago it was 18-20. This trend will continue and the prices will fall.

The Coming Shelby GT will take a lot of heat off the GT500 market. A lot of people will see it as the "real" Shelby and want to pay too much for it instead.

I'm saying Feb at the latest for typical deals to be MSRP. There will likely still be some suckered into paying a couple grand over, but, MSRP will be common.

Well said. I'm guessing January will be the time to buy. If you notice there are alot more for sale on eBay compared to several weeks ago.

I received a follow-up call from the sales guy...they still are not getting offers that meet the owner's expecations. They've now had time to move through their entire list of potential buyers. So, he said they'll probably sit on it for a while hoping someone will come in and take it. If it doesn't move, they'll adjust their expectations for this one and the other ones they'll order (...I believe he said two more).

Though just a follow up call, it's more evidence that things are slowing down. The sales guy didn't indicate they'd gotten offers near the owner's expection and he didn't pitch me to come in and make an offer. His call was just to let me know what is going on wrt to what they're seeing and to ask me my option and color preferences to take into consideration on their next order (...I'm sure he's doing that with everyone on his list because the owner might be thinking they've got the wrong color/option combo...).

(...I'm sure he's doing that with everyone on his list because the owner might be thinking they've got the wrong color/option combo...).

The owner ought to be thinking that the problem isn't the color. It is the fact that his expectations are way too high. 30k was done 5 or 6 weeks ago. Current ADMs are about 10-12k. The longer he sits on it, the lower that figure goes. Hopefully all the greedy dealers will do this and suddenly there will be an overage of cars available.

I hope they all rot on they showroom floors and have to x-plan them all...I'm fed up with these dealers attitudes that they have something you want and there going to squeeze every nickel out of you possilbe, there not the least interested in long term relationships, I bought 6 new fords in 6 years...heck with it...'m buying a chevy... :rant:

AMEN BROTHER!!!!! I have bought 7 fords in the last 10 years and after I was :censored: on by my dealer I will NEVER by another one. In fact I have ordered an 07 corvette and paid $5K under MSRP and if your read the article in Car and Driver you found out that the 400hp vette out runs the 500hp cobra anyway. I'm like you I hope the tires rot off these cars while they sit at the dealerships. :rant::rant::rant:

AMEN BROTHER!!!!! I have bought 7 fords in the last 10 years and after I was :censored: on by my dealer I will NEVER by another one. In fact I have ordered an 07 corvette and paid $5K under MSRP and if your read the article in Car and Driver you found out that the 400hp vette out runs the 500hp cobra anyway. I'm like you I hope the tires rot off these cars while they sit at the dealerships. :rant::rant::rant:

I know you're being facetious, but the tires won't rot and the cars won't sit at the dealerships long. It'll just take the dealer a bit to figure out the market isn't where he hoped it'd be. Over any extended period of time, dealers have little or no pricing power. They are price-takers. Some bet right, some bet wrong. Just like buyers. I'm betting this guy is betting wrong.

The speculators are going to help this happen much more quickly...all those guys who bought at MSRP and are now starting to flip out of their position will drive prices down.

What's the old saying?...markets are driven by fear and greed. Pretty soon dealers will become fearful that prices are going down and they are leaving money on the table. Actually, it's already happening.

I know you're being facetious, but the tires won't rot and the cars won't sit at the dealerships long. It'll just take the dealer a bit to figure out the market isn't where he hoped it'd be. Over any extended period of time, dealers have little or no pricing power. They are price-takers. Some bet right, some bet wrong. Just like buyers. I'm betting this guy is betting wrong.

The speculators are going to help this happen much more quickly...all those guys who bought at MSRP and are now starting to flip out of their position will drive prices down.

What's the old saying?...markets are driven by fear and greed. Pretty soon dealers will become fearful that prices are going down and they are leaving money on the table. Actually, it's already happening.

I agree.

Stopped by my dealer last night, and the floor unit they had (Alloy Coupe) sold yesterday.

They had it on the floor for over a week with a $20-k ADM on it. I asked the Manager if they got the full ADM, and he wouldn't answer the question directly, which tells me no.

I'm guessing they moved down to the 10-12 range based on the tone of the discussion and reaction.

In any case, even if they got 20, it took them well over a week to do it, which is an eternity for a car like that here.

Mike.

Brad at Bonanza Auto (Plumas County...Norcal) called me today to tell me they have one ordered and expect it to be in by the end of September (...but he couldn't tell me if it had been assigned a VIN yet).

He called to tell me the owner finally gave him the price and told him to sell the car.

Asking $68,500 for a fully optioned coupe (white w/blue stripes)...so about $23k over MSRP.

Now the more interesting part:

1. I got the standard sales pitch about how limited the cars are and how much others are getting.

2. I got the standard sales pitch about how they are getting tons of calls about the car.

3. THEN I asked him how many people he's called from his list and what kind of response he's seen. He told me I was the first one he called because he works his list backwards...he calls the people with the most recent contact first (...and this is actually what he told me he would do last time I spoke with him, so I don't think he was bs'ing me).

Well, I log all of my contact with dealers...and my last contact with Brad was on July 17. That's a month and a half ago. Hmmm...and he's had "tons of calls" about the car. I'm thinking not.

Archived