TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shifter update I received today

:cry:Looks like we will not be getting the Hurst 6 speed shifter for the SS Package. I confirmed today with Cynthia who conferred with Bud that all SuperSnake shifters will remain aesthetically stock, modified internally only. No Hurst White ball shifter....that's a bummer :cry: . I was really disappointed to learn that today. I told Cynthia that a while ago I was told that Hurst was working on a six speed version similar to the SGT version, but she said it's a no go. Shifters retain stock look. Maybe we can respectfully encourage them to follow through on the original plan and work with Hurst or another manufacturer to get this done. I thought I saw the six speed version in the Shelby catalog, but something must have changed. Do you guys know what happened?? I mentioned this briefly in another thread but did not want to hijack the thread.

I was also hoping for the Hurst with the six speed white ball. It's now on the to do list. Does the KR have the Hurst with the white ball?

Not sure if the KR has it or not. I feel that the Hurst shifter gave the car part of its retro edge/attitude. I felt the same way about the now postponed full exhaust. I don't want to see this car diminish step by step into a well mannered mustang. It's the abrasive, nasty demeanor that makes the SuperSnake so special.

Also, I would think(hope) that when items are removed from the SS package(like the full exhaust due to EPA issues or the shifter due to availability or timing) that price adjustments are made in a similar fashion to the way the price goes up when options are added. Sort of a "credit toward options" type thing. That would seem like a fair approach. Am I off base on this?

Not sure if the KR has it or not. I feel that the Hurst shifter gave the car part of its retro edge/attitude. I felt the same way about the now postponed full exhaust. I don't want to see this car diminish step by step into a well mannered mustang. It's the abrasive, nasty demeanor that makes the SuperSnake so special.

Also, I would think(hope) that when items are removed from the SS package(like the full exhaust due to EPA issues or the shifter due to availability or timing) that price adjustments are made in a similar fashion to the way the price goes up when options are added. Sort of a "credit toward options" type thing. That would seem like a fair approach. Am I off base on this?

I agree on both counts 100%. If it doesn't come as part of the SS package I will probably have the white ball style shifter installed after the fact at Tasca if need be then as an add on. As for pricing, I will be very dissappointed if items continue to be dropped from the list but the price is maintained at its current levels.

I am very eager to get mine done but I am also a bit concerned about the color match on the console and headrests, it just doesn't seem on par with other customers comments on Shelby's and Amy's commitment to build quality. I am not trying to flame Shelby but I think it is a fair comment to say that a $80-90k car should not have mismatched interior parts. I would feel much better if someone from Shelby were to step forward on this issue in particular and state they are going to solve this problem for all supersnakes.

Jaime

I agree on both counts 100%. If it doesn't come as part of the SS package I will probably have the white ball style shifter installed after the fact at Tasca if need be then as an add on. As for pricing, I will be very dissappointed if items continue to be dropped from the list but the price is maintained at its current levels.

I am very eager to get mine done but I am also a bit concerned about the color match on the console and headrests, it just doesn't seem on par with other customers comments on Shelby's and Amy's commitment to build quality. I am not trying to flame Shelby but I think it is a fair comment to say that a $80-90k car should not have mismatched interior parts. I would feel much better if someone from Shelby were to step forward on this issue in particular and state they are going to solve this problem for all supersnakes.

Jaime

Go to a custom car interior company, they can do this work on the original parts and it's not that expensive.

Jaime

I agree completely. Part of the reason I chose to go with the SS package is that it was a turnkey decision. Fork over the money, then let SAI do what they do best. That way I don't get distracted from my business and my family life like I did on the last build I did. I lost more income than I spent on the build because I allowed it to totally consume me. That being said, I feel that having to spend more time after the SS is delivered on aftermarket exhaust, 6 speed shifters and headrests and console covers defeats the purpose and adds more cost which essentially means for those items we pay twice, since the cost was built into the package price. I realize things can change, but I don't want to see a pattern of deleted items resulting in more time, hassle and cost down the road. I will probably discuss this with Cynthia in more detail this coming week.

PS- If the KR is getting the shifter(which it seems to be) why is it being dropped from the SS??

From what I'm hearing is alot of dissapointments on SAI decision making, delays, deleted options, poor quality, after the fact fixes. I know you guys love your cars but spending $30K+ on mediocracy does not sound that appealing to me. I feel for the guys that get the first editions and having stuff replaced that should have been taken in the first place. So far from what I have seen is not worth the expense and headaches you guys have been and are going through!

I agree completely. Part of the reason I chose to go with the SS package is that it was a turnkey decision. Fork over the money, then let SAI do what they do best. That way I don't get distracted from my business and my family life like I did on the last build I did. I lost more income than I spent on the build because I allowed it to totally consume me. That being said, I feel that having to spend more time after the SS is delivered on aftermarket exhaust, 6 speed shifters and headrests and console covers defeats the purpose and adds more cost which essentially means for those items we pay twice, since the cost was built into the package price. I realize things can change, but I don't want to see a pattern of deleted items resulting in more time, hassle and cost down the road. I will probably discuss this with Cynthia in more detail this coming week.

PS- If the KR is getting the shifter(which it seems to be) why is it being dropped from the SS??

Shelby GT has the Hurst shifter (5spd)

http://www.mustangheaven.com/stangspecs/20...008ShelbyGT.htm

From what I'm hearing is alot of dissapointments on SAI decision making, delays, deleted options, poor quality, after the fact fixes. I know you guys love your cars but spending $30K+ on mediocracy does not sound that appealing to me. I feel for the guys that get the first editions and having stuff replaced that should have been taken in the first place. So far from what I have seen is not worth the expense and headaches you guys have been and are going through!

As a whole, I am very satisfied with my 40th with full 725 HP SS performance upgrades. Was I disappointed with the exhaust? Sure. Was I disappointed with no Hurst ball shifter? Yes. Is the texture and color of the arm rest cover exactly match the grain and color of rest of the interior? No. So, would I make the decision to spend the $30,000 plus all over again for this conversion? The short answer is yes. These are killer cars when SAI gives them back to you.

The exhaust is fixed. I reinstalled my FRPP 5GT. As a practical matter the 3.73 gears eliminate the Drone Zone, so it was a no brainer. The Dynamax installed this weekend makes the Drone Zone bearable when I forced it to cruise at 1900 RPM's. Stereo is killer now as a by product. The Hurst shifter and white ball are on the to do list, this was really a bigger issue for me than the exhaust. And the camera eye is much more critical than the human eye, especially with digital technology. Of the 500 or so folks that have looked at my car not one person has mentioned that the arm rest cover doesn't quite match.

As more and more of these cars get out and people report on their cars, some of the concerns that are being mentioned will not be a drawback to getting the packages.

It ain't perfect, but I'm happy.

As a whole, I am very satisfied with my 40th with full 725 HP SS performance upgrades. Was I disappointed with the exhaust? Sure. Was I disappointed with no Hurst ball shifter? Yes. Is the texture and color of the arm rest cover exactly match the grain and color of rest of the interior? No. So, would I make the decision to spend the $30,000 plus all over again for this conversion? The short answer is yes. These are killer cars when SAI gives them back to you.

The exhaust is fixed. I reinstalled my FRPP 5GT. As a practical matter the 3.73 gears eliminate the Drone Zone, so it was a no brainer. The Dynamax installed this weekend makes the Drone Zone bearable when I forced it to cruise at 1900 RPM's. Stereo is killer now as a by product. The Hurst shifter and white ball are on the to do list, this was really a bigger issue for me than the exhaust. And the camera eye is much more critical than the human eye, especially with digital technology. Of the 500 or so folks that have looked at my car not one person has mentioned that the arm rest cover doesn't quite match.

As more and more of these cars get out and people report on their cars, some of the concerns that are being mentioned will not be a drawback to getting the packages.

It ain't perfect, but I'm happy.

Cobrafan, congratulations on your 40/SS!

Since you mentioned the 3.73, did they change the whole rearend or just the gears?

Just the gears. I believe that is the standard procedure for the SS as well.

Cobrafan- Big difference in the low end with the gears?? You might surprise a few people light to light now. I'm in South Florida and the number of tricked out 650-750rwhp HP Cobras is amazing. With 725 at the crank we still will get spanked, but we'll just have to learn to pick our fights a little better.

Cobrafan- Big difference in the low end with the gears?? You might surprise a few people light to light now. I'm in South Florida and the number of tricked out 650-750rwhp HP Cobras is amazing. With 725 at the crank we still will get spanked, but we'll just have to learn to pick our fights a little better.

I didn't have the big HP before the gear change so it is hard to compare just the gear swap. I did have a JLT CAI and tune which probably gave me 500+ at RW. So now coming off the light, it is huge difference. There is always a faster gunslinger, but the 725 SS is still a pretty bad boy.

I didn't have the big HP before the gear change so it is hard to compare just the gear swap. I did have a JLT CAI and tune which probably gave me 500+ at RW. So now coming off the light, it is huge difference. There is always a faster gunslinger, but the 725 SS is still a pretty bad boy.

PS- I did confirm with SAI today that the white ball Hurst type shifter is off the table for now as testing is not complete. The "current short throw shifter will be used as originally specified until this new design is proven and then a running change may be made".

Archived