TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 Release Bearing whine

Grabber

My new transmission has whined at start up for 15 seconds since day one. I just had the Release bearing replaced only after 100 miles and that seems to of cured the noise. Ford does not call it a Release bearing. They call it a CSC (concentric slave cylinder) bearing. It is another name for the hydraulic release bearing which pushes on the clutch diaphragm spring to effect a clutch release. It the old days we called it a "throw out bearing".

Here are some pic's of my release bearing after it was removed:

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts107.jpg

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts108.jpg

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts109.jpg

Here is a pic of where the release bearing is located after it is installed.

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts036.jpg

I am posting some sound clips of what my defective one sounded like to assist anyone in the future with trouble shooting the same noise. Each of the 3 sound clips has an explanation of the test that was done and if it relates to the clutch.

AT IDLE

th_Mar082008-VID00001.jpg

USING THE CLUTCH

th_Mar092008-VID00001.jpg

ADDING SOME RPM's

th_Mar102008-VID000012.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grabber, Thanks for all the info you have provided. I hope I don't have all the bad luck you have had with your car. I only have 200 miles on mine due to the long winter we have had in Colorado. I due have some minor rust, but no other problems yet. I can't wait for the roads to be cleaned of gravel to take her out. :angry22:

I watched my Master Tech do the work.

Tranny removed in 45 minutes.

Old CSC bearing removed and new one installed 5 minutes

Clutch & input shaft inspected and re-Lubed with the teflon lube 5 minutes.

Tranny Re-installed and clutch bleed with vacume pump. 1 hour.

Total job: 1 hour 55 minutes.

We then did a test drive together.

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts104.jpg

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts105.jpg

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts110.jpg

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts111.jpg

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts112.jpg

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts113.jpg

Are you back here now??

:hysterical3: Your avatar is killing me :hysterical2:

PS

Coldy made me come back. He needs me to protect him from Chuckstang. We made a deal. I said I would if he protects me from 500HP GT. :hysterical:

Where have you beeeeeeeennnn, Rob!!!!??? It ain't the same without you.

Sorry it took so long for me to reply to you. The server timed out on me and I forgot what my response was going to be. :banghead:

This is what I just got:

The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few

moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network

connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure

that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Now I remember why I left. :censored:

Sorry it took so long for me to reply to you. The server timed out on me and I forgot what my response was going to be. :banghead:

This is what I just got:

The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few

moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network

connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure

that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Now I remember why I left. :censored:

Yep - Grabber's back. Keep killin me!

Where have you beeeeeeeennnn, Rob!!!!??? It ain't the same without you.

Now I remember what my reply was going to be. Thanks for the welcome.

What did the dealer say about your car ?

Now I remember what my reply was going to be. Thanks for the welcome.

What did the dealer say about your car ?

No update yet. Latest was to have a Ford field tech look at it before they do anything. SAI called the next week to have my car shipped for the 40th work. Should have it back in a couple weeks. So I'll get it over to the dealer first thing when it's back. to be continued...

Thanks for all the info. I'll make sure this info is passed to my tech when he does my install. Hopefully the parts will be in soon.

The CSC bearing comes with your new tranny. Your tech will not have to touch the CSC bearing. If you want to learn about the tranny install, see this thread:

http://forum.teamshelby.com/forums/index.p...c=14874&hl=

Kids look at this man's car and his shop. Everything clean, hung up properly in it's own place. THIS is how things are done!!! I hope you're on the SAI payroll.

No I am not on the SAI payroll. :hysterical2: I am a Carpenter by Trade and a proud long time Union member of the Carpenters & Joiners of America.

carpentersunion.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
My new transmission has whined at start up for 15 seconds since day one. I just had the Release bearing replaced only after 100 miles and that seems to of cured the noise. Ford does not call it a Release bearing. They call it a CSC (concentric slave cylinder) bearing. It is another name for the hydraulic release bearing which pushes on the clutch diaphragm spring to effect a clutch release. It the old days we called it a "throw out bearing".

Here are some pic's of my release bearing after it was removed:

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts107.jpg

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts108.jpg

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts109.jpg

Here is a pic of where the release bearing is located after it is installed.

th_Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts036.jpg

I am posting some sound clips of what my defective one sounded like to assist anyone in the future with trouble shooting the same noise. Each of the 3 sound clips has an explanation of the test that was done and if it relates to the clutch.

AT IDLE

th_Mar082008-VID00001.jpg

USING THE CLUTCH

th_Mar092008-VID00001.jpg

ADDING SOME RPM's

th_Mar102008-VID000012.jpg

It's been 13 days since my Tranny came out again and the release bearing was replaced. I have not got to drive the car since I brought it home due to crappy weather. That was about a 20 mile drive or so. It ran great during that drive home.

I just started the car after it has been sitting all that time to make sure the noise was gone.

It is gone. :happy feet:

27 second sound clip at start up today.

th_Mar262008-VID000021.jpg

No I am not on the SAI payroll. :hysterical2: I am a Carpenter by Trade and a proud long time Union member of the Carpenters & Joiners of America.

carpentersunion.jpg

post-3019-1206539392_thumb.png

Way da go Grabb, union all the way bud, :rockon: 32 years for me, 3 more to go and I'm done I'll be 52 and free. :happy feet:

Glad to hear you had that fixed, but I just can't help but think some of us are going to have these probs when the waranty runs out. :banghead:

post-3019-1206539392_thumb.png

After listening to your sound clip I went out and started mine and have the same problem, except mine last a minute or so, otherwise exactly the same. I only have 9 miles on it since it was delivered in January and the shop was only about 40 degrees when I started it. Any chance it will go away when the weather warms up or am I just being optomistic. Is any damage being done??? What if I ignore it, will it get worse or just stay the same??

After listening to your sound clip I went out and started mine and have the same problem, except mine last a minute or so, otherwise exactly the same. I only have 9 miles on it since it was delivered in January and the shop was only about 40 degrees when I started it. Any chance it will go away when the weather warms up or am I just being optomistic. Is any damage being done??? What if I ignore it, will it get worse or just stay the same??

This is what I would do if I was you to verify that it is not some corrosion built up on the parts from sitting.

You need to put some miles on the car. 9 miles is nothing. If the weather is bad, then Start it up every morning and see if it does it. After doing that for a week, then I would say that you have a defective CSC bearing if it is still whining.

Thanks for the quick reply. I havn't even driven it yet but am going crazy. I am thinking about insuring it next week and driving it as much as possible. Cannot imagine it will need to go the shop but it sure sounds exactly like your sound clip. Touching the clutch makes it go away, reving the motor after it had gone away I could hear it as the revs went down, then no sound after a couple minutes.

Thanks for the quick reply. I havn't even driven it yet but am going crazy. I am thinking about insuring it next week and driving it as much as possible. Cannot imagine it will need to go the shop but it sure sounds exactly like your sound clip. Touching the clutch makes it go away, reving the motor after it had gone away I could hear it as the revs went down, then no sound after a couple minutes.

So there is only 9 miles total on the car right now?

It has been sitting for how long ?

Sitting since Jan 15th. I have started it a couple times and heard the whinning but didn't know what it was. It had 6 mi when delivered and it is 3 miles to my house, hence 9mi.

Anyway I called my insurance guy this afternoon and he insured it for just today for me. (think he filled it out but didn't mail it) It is supposed to snow a couple inches tonight so I put on about 50 miles this afternoon. Will start it again tomorrow morning and check for the whine.

Sitting since Jan 15th. I have started it a couple times and heard the whinning but didn't know what it was. It had 6 mi when delivered and it is 3 miles to my house, hence 9mi.

Anyway I called my insurance guy this afternoon and he insured it for just today for me. (think he filled it out but didn't mail it) It is supposed to snow a couple inches tonight so I put on about 50 miles this afternoon. Will start it again tomorrow morning and check for the whine.

Hopefully it's quiet in the morning. Study up on this thread so you can understand the install. If you have to have this work done, make sure that the mech lubes the input shaft and smears some on the clutch hub splines as well when he puts the tranny back in. He will need the special Teflon Lube.

Good luck. Let me know tomorrow whjat it sounds like.

Bad news, still makes all the same noises as yours but for about a minute instead of 15 seconds.

My questions are: Is it doing damage as it is and can I drive it?? (a lot)

Is there a chance it will get better with more miles??

Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting the symptoms.

Bad news, still makes all the same noises as yours but for about a minute instead of 15 seconds.

My questions are: Is it doing damage as it is and can I drive it?? (a lot)

Is there a chance it will get better with more miles??

Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting the symptoms.

Sorry to hear the news. It is not damaging anything....YET (Your Eligible Too)

I very much doubt it will fix itself. It is an internal bearing that is making the noise. Call the dealer and schedule an appointment with them to replace it. Make sure you ask for an expert master tech that knows how to work on a GT500. Pulling the tranny on one of these has a couple tricks to it. I have watched mine come out and go back in twice. You might want to read my installation thread to understand the tricks of it. GET IT REPLACED AS SOON AS YOU CAN.

Here is the tranny install thread of mine:

http://forum.teamshelby.com/forums/index.p...ic=14874&hl=

I am really depressed. I don't have a clue how good or bad my dealers service guys are and I am sure if I supply them with your tips they will take offence from me telling them how to do their job. I don't even know how they will react when I tell them I know what is wrong and it needs to be fixed. I have only driven the car yesterday about 50 mi and was extremely impressed wit its performance compared to my 05GT. My build date was Jan2 08 so I thought these problems had been worked out.

Guess I will stop at the dealer on my way to town today and talk to the service manager.

Hard for me to understand that yours and mine are the only ones to have this trouble.

Archived