TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT500 Upgrade?

mffarrell

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With pricing at MSRP on GT500's and 07 SGT's at invoice minus $2500 rebates, you will take a major hit on trade in value right now if you trade an SGT.

If dealers can't move the 07's at $2500 below invoice, what does that do for a used one?

How much less would the average consumer expect to pay on a used VS a brand new one with no miles? Then deduct $3K - $4K from that and that would be pretty much what a dealer would give on trade in value.

With pricing at MSRP on GT500's and 07 SGT's at invoice minus $2500 rebates, you will take a major hit on trade in value right now if you trade an SGT.

If dealers can't move the 07's at $2500 below invoice, what does that do for a used one?

How much less would the average consumer expect to pay on a used VS a brand new one with no miles? Then deduct $3K - $4K from that and that would be pretty much what a dealer would give on trade in value.

Very true what you are saying. I am not planning to sell mine, but I am looking at adding a new GT500 to my stable. :happy feet:

True but, it would all depend on the car being traded. For the smart seller, they don't trade. There are still 07's on the lots. The patient people are the one's who win in the end. It would look great in your stable! :) White with Blue stripes seems to be most of what is left for 07's, but there are others also.

True but, it would all depend on the car being traded. For the smart seller, they don't trade. There are still 07's on the lots. The patient people are the one's who win in the end. It would look great in your stable! :) White with Blue stripes seems to be most of what is left for 07's, but there are others also.

I have a white and blue one, already. 66 GT350. ;-) I will be ordering a vapor silver GT500, soon.

Keep in mind that there are linkage and clutch and trans woes for the 500. Also bad suspension. You would have to add another 5 grand to get it to where the SGT is. Oh ya, dont forget an extra 350 dollars for a Shelby plack that does not even have a CSM number. To trade a REAL Shelby for a wanna be would be not to smart. Just add a Supercharger and you will smoke the 500 especially around the track. Just my opinion. Sudden.

Keep in mind that there are linkage and clutch and trans woes for the 500. Also bad suspension. You would have to add another 5 grand to get it to where the SGT is. Oh ya, dont forget an extra 350 dollars for a Shelby plack that does not even have a CSM number. To trade a REAL Shelby for a wanna be would be not to smart. Just add a Supercharger and you will smoke the 500 especially around the track. Just my opinion. Sudden.

They make devises that will help with your penis envy.

+1

Edit: I think I could smoke one on track without the s/c, as long as it was a course with alot of turns.

:shift:

$5 grand???

Try $1,600 for the same suspension parts but made for the GT500.

Just add a supercharger? Then you have in the SGT what you could buy the GT500 for!

Then of course for only $1200 you can get over a 100 HP more on the GT500. :happy feet:

Hmmmm.......$1,600 for same suspension + $1,200 for extra 100 HP = One BAD AZZ GT500 with over 600 HP and that handles as good as a SGT on any track! Not shaby for only an extra $2,800!!! :superhero:

As for the dash plaque, yeah, it doesn't have a CSM stamped in it, but it does have the full vin stamped in it AND it is personally sign by the man himself! CS. Hmmm....Hand signed with vin OR stamped signature with CSM. Let me think....yep! I'll take that hand signed plaque any day! :happy feet: :happy feet:

So for $3,100 you got the same suspension set up as the SGT, over 600 HP, and a personal signed plaque VS over $3,500 just to add a SC and still be over 200 HP short of the GT500!!! :hysterical:

AND...that's not all! After the SC added to a SGT it is pretty much topped out on that 4.6L.....but that 5.4L will handle up to 800 HP! So you still have another 200 HP to add IF you wanted the extra power! :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

$5 grand???

Just add a supercharger? Then you have in the SGT what you could buy the GT500 for!

Then of course for only $1200 you can get over a 100 HP more on the GT500. :happy feet:

Hmmmm.......$1,600 for same suspension + $1,200 for extra 100 HP = One BAD AZZ GT500 with over 600 HP and that handles as good as a SGT on any track! Not shaby for only an extra $2,800!!! :superhero:

As for the dash plaque, yeah, it doesn't have a CSM stamped in it, but it does have the full vin stamped in it AND it is personally sign by the man himself! CS. Hmmm....Hand signed with vin OR stamped signature with CSM. Let me think....yep! I'll take that hand signed plaque any day! :happy feet: :happy feet:

So for $3,100 you got the same suspension set up as the SGT, over 600 HP, and a personal signed plaque VS over $3,500 just to add a SC and still be over 200 HP short of the GT500!!! :hysterical:

AND...that's not all! After the SC added to a SGT it is pretty much topped out on that 4.6L.....but that 5.4L will handle up to 800 HP! So you still have another 200 HP to add IF you wanted the extra power! :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

Both good points but you are comparing apples to oranges a little bit ShelbyDude. If you're going to take off the ADM on the GT500 then you also have to take off the ADM on the SGT AND apply the discounts.

Refigure with that in mind and it still adds up to about $12,000 more in parts that can be spent on a SGT which would beat the stock GT500 in all categories. I'm standing by word that the SGT is still the best deal for the money.

Try to stay on the same price level when comparing. Thx :)

$5 grand???

I would agree with most of this post. All the horse power in the World doesn't mean anything if you can't get it to the ground, you'll be beat by plenty of lesser cars. I personally watched a rental V6 210 horse power take out a GT-500 at the CS birthday party. I also saw GT-H's take out GT-500's. More horse power doesn't always win. JMHO.

Both good points but you are comparing apples to oranges a little bit ShelbyDude. If you're going to take off the ADM on the GT500 then you also have to take off the ADM on the SGT AND apply the discounts.

Refigure with that in mind and it still adds up to about $12,000 more in parts that can be spent on a SGT which would beat the stock GT500 in all categories. I'm standing by word that the SGT is still the best deal for the money.

MSRP to MSRP is about $5K difference.

The $2500 rebate you can get on a 07 makes it about $7500 difference. So you are a ways off from $12K.

And if you compare the 08 SGT to 08 GT500, the SGT has no rebates, and MSRP to MSRP on those are only $3K - $4K difference. So add a SC to the SGT and you are at or over MSRP on a GT500.

I would agree with most of this post. All the horse power in the World doesn't mean anything if you can't get it to the ground, you'll be beat by plenty of lesser cars. I personally watched a rental V6 210 horse power take out a GT-500 at the CS birthday party. I also saw GT-H's take out GT-500's. More horse power doesn't always win. JMHO.

Sounds like a severe driver issue to me.

Off topic:: I like your picture of your signed dash- 2 1/2 hrs- lol, been there done that

MSRP to MSRP is about $5K difference.

The $2500 rebate you can get on a 07 makes it about $7500 difference. So you are a ways off from $12K.

And if you compare the 08 SGT to 08 GT500, the SGT has no rebates, and MSRP to MSRP on those are only $3K - $4K difference. So add a SC to the SGT and you are at or over MSRP on a GT500.

MSRP is pretty much out the window on these cars. I'm looking at what you can buy each car for. From what I've seen, the best price for a GT500 right now is $44K and right now you could easily get a SGT for $32 without any rebates applied.

Refigure :)

Okidokie!

2008 Shelby GT

Price Information MSRP

STANDARD VEHICLE PRICE $27,020

Key Standard Equipment

ORDER CODE 140A-PREM GT COU

GT REAR DECKLID SPOILER

AM/FM STEREO/6-CD IN DASH/M

17" PREMIUM PAINTED CAST AL

SHAKER 500 AUDIO SYSTEM

ANTI-LOCK BRAKES

POWER 6-WAY DRIVER'S SEAT

Optional Equipment

2008 MODEL YEAR

VISTA BLUE CLEARCOAT METALLIC

DARK CHARCOAL LEATHER

.4.6L 3V OHC V8 ENGINE

.5-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION

INTERIOR UPGRADE PACKAGE 460

SATIN ALUMINUM PANEL

ACTIVE ANTI-THEFT SYSTEM 325

FRONT LICENSE PLATE BRACKET

WHEEL LOCKING KIT 50

SIRIUS SAT RADIO W/6 MOS SVC 195

HID HEADLAMPS 525

GT UPFITTERS PACKAGE 2,140

.235/50/ZR18 TIRE

.REAR SPOILER DELETE

.3.55 RATIO LIMITED SLIP AXLE

.18" POLISHED ALUMINUM WHEEL

SHAKER 1000 AUDIO SYSTEM 1,295

PONY CENTER CAP

AMBIENT LIGHTING 295

TOTAL VEHICLE & OPTIONS 32,305

DESTINATION & DELIVERY 745

TOTAL MSRP $33,050

+ SAI MSRP $8,500

+ Gas G. Tax $1,000

TOTAL MSRP $42,550

===================================

2008 Shelby GT500

Price Information MSRP

STANDARD VEHICLE PRICE $41,930

Key Standard Equipment

ORDER CODE 820A-SHELBY COUP

P255/45/R18 FRT 285/40R18 R

SHELBY REAR DECKLID SPOILER

SHELBY INTERIOR PACKAGE

OVER-THE-TOP RACING STRIPE

18" BRIGHT MACHINED ALUM WH

ANTI-LOCK BRAKES

Optional Equipment

2008 MODEL YEAR

BLACK W/BLACK ACCENT LTHR

.5.4L SC 4V V8 ENGINE

.6-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION

*** GAS GUZZLER TAX *** 1,300

MUSTANG VPC SHIP THRU

50 STATE EMISSIONS

HID HEADLAMPS 525

GT500 PREMIUM TRIM PACKAGE 595

WHITE TAPE STRIPE

AMBIENT LIGHTING 295

TOTAL VEHICLE & OPTIONS 46,135

TOTAL MSRP $46,880

==========================================

08 GT500 MSRP $46,880 - 08 SGT MSRP $42,550 = $4,330 difference!

Same options, same year, only $4,330 difference in price!

Add a SC to the SGT and you are in MSRP area of the GT500.

And THIS is the biggest reason the SGT's have not sold very well. It isn't because they over priced the SGT. You are correct that the SGT is at a good price! They way under priced the GT500! Even though most look at the other way that the SGT was over priced, it is the opposite where the GT500 was under priced. Had they priced the GT500 at least $10K higher, then the SGT's would have flew off the lots! Everyone would have justified its pricing compared to a $55K MSRP GT500.

The GT500 is the bargain of the century at its current MSRP pricing!

Okidokie!

2008 Shelby GT

Price Information MSRP

STANDARD VEHICLE PRICE $27,020

Key Standard Equipment

ORDER CODE 140A-PREM GT COU

GT REAR DECKLID SPOILER

17" PREMIUM PAINTED CAST AL

SHAKER 500 AUDIO SYSTEM

ANTI-LOCK BRAKES

\

Optional Equipment

2008 MODEL YEAR

DARK CHARCOAL LEATHER

.4.6L 3V OHC V8 ENGINE

INTERIOR UPGRADE PACKAGE 460

SATIN ALUMINUM PANEL

ACTIVE ANTI-THEFT SYSTEM 325

WHEEL LOCKING KIT 50

HID HEADLAMPS 525

.235/50/ZR18 TIRE

.REAR SPOILER DELETE

.18" POLISHED ALUMINUM WHEEL

PONY CENTER CAP

AMBIENT LIGHTING 295

TOTAL VEHICLE & OPTIONS 32,305

TOTAL MSRP $33,050

+ SAI MSRP $8,500

+ Gas G. Tax $1,000

TOTAL MSRP $42,550

===================================

2008 Shelby GT500

Price Information MSRP

STANDARD VEHICLE PRICE $41,930

Key Standard Equipment

ORDER CODE 820A-SHELBY COUP

P255/45/R18 FRT 285/40R18 R

SHELBY REAR DECKLID SPOILER

SHELBY INTERIOR PACKAGE

OVER-THE-TOP RACING STRIPE

18" BRIGHT MACHINED ALUM WH

ANTI-LOCK BRAKES

Optional Equipment

2008 MODEL YEAR

BLACK W/BLACK ACCENT LTHR

.5.4L SC 4V V8 ENGINE

.6-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION

*** GAS GUZZLER TAX *** 1,300

MUSTANG VPC SHIP THRU

50 STATE EMISSIONS

HID HEADLAMPS 525

GT500 PREMIUM TRIM PACKAGE 595

WHITE TAPE STRIPE

AMBIENT LIGHTING 295

TOTAL VEHICLE & OPTIONS 46,135

TOTAL MSRP $46,880

==========================================

08 GT500 MSRP $46,880 - 08 SGT MSRP $42,550 = $4,330 difference!

Same options, same year, only $4,330 difference in price!

Add a SC to the SGT and you are in MSRP area of the GT500.

And THIS is the biggest reason the SGT's have not sold very well. It isn't because they over priced the SGT. You are correct that the SGT is at a good price! They way under priced the GT500! Even though most look at the other way that the SGT was over priced, it is the opposite where the GT500 was under priced. Had they priced the GT500 at least $10K higher, then the SGT's would have flew off the lots! Everyone would have justified its pricing compared to a $55K MSRP GT500.

The GT500 is the bargain of the century at its current MSRP pricing!

Spoken like a true car salesman :)

I paid $37K for my SGT almost a year ago and I have seen 07 SGT's for sale for $32K. I'll let you do your sellin' though. :talkhand:

MSRP is pretty much out the window on these cars. I'm looking at what you can buy each car for. From what I've seen, the best price for a GT500 right now is $44K and right now you could easily get a SGT for $32 without any rebates applied.

Refigure :)

You can NOT get a SGT for $32K without any rebates unless the dealer is stupid where they forget to add the $8,390 cost SAI bills them for seperately on their parts statement.

You can't even get $32K with rebates unless it is a base DELUXE model with cloth and no options!

Here is BASE DELUXE SGT with CLOTH that is a 2007 model

Price Information MSRP

STANDARD VEHICLE PRICE $25,695

Key Standard Equipment

ORDER CODE 130A-DLX GT COUP

DRIVER & PASSENGER AIR BAGS

PREMIUM SOUND SYSTEM

ANTI-LOCK BRAKES

TRACTION CONTROL

Optional Equipment

2007 MODEL YEAR

BLACK CLEARCOAT

MEDIUM PARCHMENT CLOTH

.4.6L 3V OHC V8 ENGINE

JOB #2 ORDER

.235/50/ZR18 TIRE

.REAR SPOILER DELETE

.FRONT SEAT SIDE AIRBAGS

.18" BLK PNTD ALUMINUM WHEEL

TOTAL VEHICLE & OPTIONS 27,835

TOTAL MSRP $28,580

+ SAI & GGT $8,390

TOTAL MSRP $36,970

INVOICE $26,748 + $8,390 = $35,138

$35,138 INVOICE - $2,500 Rebate = $32,638

That is as cheap as you can get it! Absolutely NO options and with cloth!

Not again...

I would love to own a GT500!

I paid $37k for my 07 in November with no ADM. I have no regrets!

Apples to oranges IMO. The Aluminum 4.6 IS lighter and handles VERY well stock.

The GT500 is a beast! What's the downside to either? :happy feet:

I'm not selling anything. Just stating factual information.

Don't make me outfact you! eBay is a good guide...

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?f...&category0=

Cheapest new "Buy it now" price for a SGT WITH leather = $35,096

Cheapest new "Buy it now" price for a GT500 = $54,881

...that's almost $20K diff man....come on

Not only that...there is a GT-H for sale for $35K!!!

Don't make me outfact you! eBay is a good guide...

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?f...&category0=

Cheapest new "Buy it now" price for a SGT WITH leather = $35,096

Cheapest new "Buy it now" price for a GT500 = $54,881

...that's almost $20K diff man....come on

Not only that...there is a GT-H for sale for $35K!!!

Sorry, but using a buy-it-now on ebay that has a ADM added to it to compare with when there are MSRP deals popping up all over this site is a pretty dumb comparison!

Now compare that to a realistic MSRP price that can EASLY be had now and that is only $8K - $10K difference, and that is on a 2008 VS 2007! Deduct a year of depreciation and where does that put you?

Example, go buy that 07 SGT, drive from that dealer to the next closest dealer and see what trade value they would give you on that! About $27K if you are lucky!

Go buy a 08 GT500 and do the same thing. You would still get at least $42K for that!

The GT-H is a 2006 and USED! That is going to be 3 years old in two months!

BTW, the GT-H sold for a LOT LESS than what SGT's sold for new! The GT-H was a FLEET car sold to Hertz! Hertz paid LESS than the $35K they want for it now after being USED, driven by only who knows how many different people. And by who knows how many of those people took it out and beat it to death! And its going to be 3 years old to boot! Invoice on that particular car was $25,544 + SAI cost. So what's that, just under $33K?? Now its USED with 21k miles and selling for $36,900. Is that a great deal? It was for Hertz and it is for the seller! So what is your point???

As for that SGT, MSRP is $39,090.

Invoice is $37,097.

They have it at $35,096 which after adding back the $2,500 Rebate you are at $37,596. So they are offering it at $500 over invoice with the buy it now!

But if you want to compare 07's then compare that to the 07 GT500 at $43,700 MSRP! So with rebates on the SGT you are $8,700 difference on a year old car that is about to become a two year old car in a couple of months. The 09 starts production in just two months! In fact, that SGT turns 2 in just 64 days from now if you want to be exact. In exactly 73 days from now that GT-H turns 3 years old!

Bottom line, you are comparing apples to oranges here.

But regardless of how you choose to look at it, you should buy that SGT. Any car like this that you can get at $2K below invoice even after a rebate is great buy! So what's stopping you?

I think Shelby Dude is *much* closer to the facts.

Also, the SGT would have to be modded substantially more to permit it to endure in a real track environment... It desparately needs brakes (the GT500 doesn't) and with the GT/SC's cooling system is not capable of sustained hard track work, imo, like the GT500.

I really like the SGT but it's just not capable of anywhere near the same levels of sustained performance as the GT500, imo -- that's where the extra weight is in the GT500 -- it's all in performance! The SGT is a (barely) warmed over GT ...with a FRP handling pack, FRP power pack (19HP) and a few other pieces. Oh, I forgot -- it's a *real* Shelby, unoike the GT500 :hysterical2: The SGTs are really nice, esp the GT/SC, but they're mods aren't nearly as extensive as the GT500 factory pieces, imo, as a total package ...just not in the same league -- sorry.

And as for the brightlight who says a 210HP V6 that smoked the GT500 at CS' 85th ...I'll have some of what you're smoking :shades: :hysterical3::hysterical2::hysterical:

Nothing personal, but the SGT and GT500 just are not in the same league, nice as they both are.

Let's go ahead and nullify the GG tax on the SGT for ya too brother. That will be about how much extra you pay in sales tax on the 500. Heck at that price don't you have to pay luxary tax too?

:slapfight:

:hysterical3: Nullify the GGT??? :hysterical2:

Okidokie! :hysterical:

I like to see how you can get out of that one to nullify it! :hysterical2:

Your GT500 has a list price of $4K - $5K more than the list price on a SGT so the SGT GGT is therefore nullified! :hysterical2:

Also, the SGT would have to be modded substantially more to permit it to endure in a real track environment... It desparately needs brakes (the GT500 doesn't) and with the GT/SC's cooling system is not capable of sustained hard track work, imo, like the GT500.

I really like the SGT but it's just not capable of anywhere near the same levels of sustained performance as the GT500, imo -- that's where the extra weight is in the GT500 -- it's all in performance! The SGT is a (barely) warmed over GT ...with a FRP handling pack, FRP power pack (19HP) and a few other pieces.

The SGTs are really nice, esp the GT/SC, but they're mods aren't nearly as extensive as the GT500 factory pieces, imo, as a total package ...just not in the same league -- sorry.

Nothing personal, but the SGT and GT500 just are not in the same league, nice as they both are.

All right, I will wade into the chopy waters of this debate.

What do you consider substained performance levels and real track enviroment. My Shelby GT/SC held up very well the entire weekend of the Birthday Bash. I ran every minute of every session of my run group on the track. The engine never missed a beat, felt tired or over heated. Are we talking about real racing with passing and the such. How many people are doing that with either car on this forum.

A warmed over Mustang GT with modifications that aren't as substantial as the GT500 factory pieces....The suspension is completely changed. Save the beefed up parts (like the A-arms) of the GT500 required to handle the extra weight of the engine. All of the body panels are installed by the at the Ford factory.

I'll agree the Shelby GT stock brakes leave a bit on the tabel. Do a little work with aftermarket rotors, pads and brake lines on the Shelby GT and you will have brakes that handle the Shelby GTs less mass as well as the GT500s Brembos. Spend a little more coin on a complete brake package and the Shelby GT will outbreak the GT500.

This debate will go on forever. As has been said, they are both great cars that fulfill the desires and needs of each group of enthusiast. Please go out and enjoy your cars without trying to tear down the other one.

Archived