TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Sill Plate Question

swathen

My Dash Plaque just showed up. Took almost as long to get it as the car. :hysterical2:

Anyway, I am unsure about how to proceed with the Sill Plate installation. They have an adhesive strip on them, but I would imagine they are meant to replace the SVT ones, not just be stuck on top of them. I searched on Sill Plates here, but didn't find anything on removing the old ones and installing the new ones. Can anyone put me on to the right thread, or just let me know about getting the old ones out.

Thanks!

Scott

Try waxed dental floss.....seriously. It may save the plates to be re-installed some day. This a classic way to get side moudlings off of cars with out damaging the paint.

I did see a picture of one here on the forum that looked like they used a putty knife or scraper, and bent the crap out of it in the process....It was a big lazy crinkled "U" shape when they were done! :nonono:

Good luck!

Try waxed dental floss.....seriously.

You might want to try Glide brand floss. It is made of Gortex and is very strong and slippery. BTW it is terrible for flossing, no absorbency and it slices your gingiva like a surgical blade would. Should never have been brought to market as floss. They were looking for more ways to sell Gortex. :banghead:

You might want to try Glide brand floss. It is made of Gortex and is very strong and slippery. BTW it is terrible for flossing, no absorbency and it slices your gingiva like a surgical blade would. Should never have been brought to market as floss. They were looking for more ways to sell Gortex. :banghead:

Hey, Glide is my favorite brand of floss - seriously, it's good stuff. Back to subject.

I too just received my dash plaque yesterday. I just left my SVT sill plates alone; I like them better than the GT500 ones that came with the dash plaque.

My Dash Plaque just showed up. Took almost as long to get it as the car. :hysterical2:

Can anyone put me on to the right thread, or just let me know about getting the old ones out.

Thanks!

Scott

There's a great thread, with lots of pictures, in the Tech and Mods area of the forum. You'll need to look around or do a search, but it's there and was very good.

Hey, Glide is my favorite brand of floss - seriously, it's good stuff.

No it is not. It is the worst floss on the market for the reasons I listed. It should never been allowed on the market. I promise you, you are not cleaning anything with that garbage. Nothing unless you count 1/4" chunks of Roast Beef.

Anyway, I am unsure about how to proceed with the Sill Plate installation. They have an adhesive strip on them, but I would imagine they are meant to replace the SVT ones, not just be stuck on top of them. I searched on Sill Plates here, but didn't find anything on removing the old ones and installing the new ones. Can anyone put me on to the right thread, or just let me know about getting the old ones out.

Thanks!

Scott

You are correct, they are not meant to go on top of the SVT ones. I received a sill plate set (SHELBY GT500) with signed plaque as a present. I held off on the sill install until I bought another set of plastic sills from Ford direct. Any dealer will sell you a LH (Left hand) and RH (Right hand) sill for a Mustang at around $18.00 per side. At first I thought they made a mistake when I saw the word Mustang imprinted in the recessed area reserved for the SVT name (or any other metal insert for that matter) until I removed the factory original set from my car, turned it upside down and saw the same Mustang stamping in reverse. You'll end up with 2 complete sill sets (one pair with SVT, and a second with whatever) that way if you can switch and choose. Leave the red tape on the sill. First, remove the Sill plate and insert onto your new Mustang black plastic recessed spot, then peel back about 3 inch at a 45 degree angle and leave a little hanging out from the bottom. Align the sill over the holes and the side kick panel and press down until you hear a sharp click. Then peel the red backing tape towards you until you run out and have removed it all. Then take OFF your shoe and with your socks still ON your feet, gentlly press along the length of your sill. Sill are on for good and looks good. I forgot to cover the removal, very simple...they look like they are on hard, but they are not. Grab the end of the sill closest to the door latch and use your other hand to feel under and grab around the middle part. Pull up with authority. Don't super yank it, but pull it like you own it. The double side tape will lift as one piece if cold, but if in hot climate, you might need to buy some more double sided 3M 1/4" grey tape with the red backing.

I like the $36 option. I didn't do that.

I did remove the plastic sills (yes, basically you just pull them off). I then went to the vanity, and used a hair dryer to heat up the existing plates (it loosens the adhesive) until I could just take them off without damaging them. Then I stuck the new ones on.

I like the idea of new plastic sills in order to keep the originals. I may go get a couple and stick the old SVT plates on them just for grins.

I like the $36 option. I didn't do that.

I did remove the plastic sills (yes, basically you just pull them off). I then went to the vanity, and used a hair dryer to heat up the existing plates (it loosens the adhesive) until I could just take them off without damaging them. Then I stuck the new ones on.

I like the idea of new plastic sills in order to keep the originals. I may go get a couple and stick the old SVT plates on them just for grins.

I also ordered and inserted the small aluminum six strips for the empty slot and man, do they look good. So far, on hard regardless of temp (14F to 90 +). On $26.00 for both sides.

Hey, Glide is my favorite brand of floss - seriously, it's good stuff. Back to subject.

I too just received my dash plaque yesterday. I just left my SVT sill plates alone; I like them better than the GT500 ones that came with the dash plaque.

Do you want to sell your GT500 plates????

Thanks! Use the blow dryer, heat one end, pry up alittle, then use fishing line to gently run down the sill while appying the heat. They lift off very easily. Run the line slowly so you don't bend the old plates.

Scott

Use a blow dryer, start at one end, when heated enough lift the end ever so slightly not to bend, then run fishing line down length of sill while aplying heat, do very slowly so not to bend or kink. They'll lift off very easily when heated.

Thanks!

Scott

When did you order? Ordered mine January 13th. Still waiting.

Archived