TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New hood pins and Lower Grille insert

OK.

I installed my Shelby hood pins, SS prop rod and billet lower grille today.

Grillewelds01.jpg

The welds are kinda lousy, but servicable...

lowergrille.jpg

Installed. Took about 20 minutes, no problem. Hate the license plate :banghead:

I love the way the pins looks, but hate the way they fit...

hoodpins.jpg

newShelbypin.jpg

I need to bend my new mounting plates slightly. I marked the new plates and will bend on 400 ton press at work next week...

Basically, the rods pass through the hood perpendicular to the radiator framework. They do not angle/contour to the shape of the hood. The top of the pin needs to be tilted slightly (about 3 degrees) forward. I can then set the height perfectly.

ssproprod05.jpg

New prop rod...no problemo.

The lower grille is the best thing so far for my car. I could see a few dings on the radiator fins, it's only a matter of time until a rock ruins my day... :censored:

Dan

Your mods look good...I like the hood pins,but i also have no patience when it comes to aftermarket items not fitting well..

I installed the black lower grille insert on my SGT,last week..definately a neccessary upgrade to protect the lower radiator,also the front end looks better... :happy feet:

I put mine in too.

DSC_0157.jpg

I'm thinking black might have been better, but it's "glossy". I'd even drill out the rivets if they had a flat black one.

Edit: Oh, and I already apologized for the improper alignment to the garage pillars (and now that I see it here, the concrete stress cuts. Oh well, maybe next time :) )

Edit 2: Oh crap. And now I see that the hood pin wires are not symmetrical. [Mr. Monk.]

Nice, mine shipped this week as well and are coming on the 12th. Did you use stainless rivets for the Grill? I am not looking forward to doing the Hood Pins, I heard they can be a pain in the ass. I have little or no patience.

Let me know if you need a hand with the hood pins. I'm not far away and have installed the "biggest PIA" pins in my CS6 hood.

Roger

Nice, mine shipped this week as well and are coming on the 12th. Did you use stainless rivets for the Grill? I am not looking forward to doing the Hood Pins, I heard they can be a pain in the ass. I have little or no patience.

Yes, i USED ss. I had some 1/8x1/4 and 1/4x3/8. It calls for 1/8x1/2. I went down and bought some 1/2"ers...

Unneeded. :censored:

The shank passed through about 1/4". All you need is 1/4 or 3/8. I also only installed one rivet, diagonally on each side. If I feel its needed, can always go back and put in two more. I used a string to hold in place while transfer drilling the mark onto the new grille, but the new grille kinda clicks into place and fits perfectly.

The hood pins took me about an hour and a half to do carefully. Right now, I have the posts high so they don't pull down too tightly on the hood until I can adjust the angle... The pins are kinda sloppy. They look good from a distance but are not perfect.

Dan

I put mine in too.

I'm thinking black might have been better, but it's "glossy". I'd even drill out the rivets if they had a flat black one.

Edit: Oh, and I already apologized for the improper alignment to the garage pillars (and now that I see it here, the concrete stress cuts. Oh well, maybe next time :) )

Edit 2: Oh crap. And now I see that the hood pin wires are not symmetrical. [Mr. Monk.]

Might be due to some of the wire caught in a pinch. I always pull the hood pins straight out before I try to clamp them in so they go in the groove properly.

Grille looks good on all the cars. Mine gets delivered tomorrow but I don't want to put it in if I'm going to have to remove it for brake ducts later. :banghead:

Mine's been ordered, but from the number of folks on this thread that say theirs is on the way, mine may be on back order at this point!!

I ordered the black, even thought its glossy. I saw some of the photos on one of the vehicles that you can't even tell what is down there without a light shining directly on it. Worse case, I'll drill it out and get the billit lower grill....it could be the modern day version of the mood ring...the mood grill!!! Turn your car into Dr. Jekyl & Mr. Hyde...The new Knight Rider will have nothing on us!! :hysterical2:

OK, I know its late - I'm going before someone tells me to leave.....

Might be due to some of the wire caught in a pinch. I always pull the hood pins straight out before I try to clamp them in so they go in the groove properly.

Grille looks good on all the cars. Mine gets delivered tomorrow but I don't want to put it in if I'm going to have to remove it for brake ducts later. :banghead:

Actually I figured it out. It's so simple to see if you have your hood open. One of them was routed OVER the top of the hood pin assembly and out (the long one), the other was routed UNDER and then back over, the short one. So I made them the same. I had to pull the little plastic retainers so I could get enough clearance. Now the wires feel too long and I might route them the other way

Vote - left side or right side?

I wouldn't wait. It would suck to catch something in the radiator in the mean-time. You could use (2) aluminum rivets so they're easier to drill out...

I f you decide to stay with what you have, drill em out and install SS. It's a quick, easy fix.

My .02

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Looks great!, I wouldn't bother with the 400 ton press, I just bent mine forward by hand, worked great!

I went with the BLACK version - Matches my BLACK Billet Hood Pins...

post-8727-1206293920_thumb.jpg

post-8727-1206293908_thumb.jpg

Drive Safe!

07SGT0547

Thanks for the pic's. I was inclined to go with the SS but looking at yours I think the black is the way to go. Great looking car.

Jim

For those that installed the new hood pins-how much difficulty did you have getting the pins/holes/plates to line up and do you have any suggestions?

Shelbydream, if you use the new base plates which are slightly longer than the originals it's really pretty simple. I did mine a couple months ago and posted my experience here

http://forum.teamshelby.com/forums/index.p...st&p=282429

I should have taken some pics. Hope this helps.

Jim

I put mine in too.

DSC_0157.jpg

Edit 2: Oh crap. And now I see that the hood pin wires are not symmetrical. [Mr. Monk.][/quote

Not sure I would have noticed................

Shelbydream, if you use the new base plates which are slightly longer than the originals it's really pretty simple. I did mine a couple months ago and posted my experience here

http://forum.teamshelby.com/forums/index.p...st&p=282429

I should have taken some pics. Hope this helps.

Jim

Jim-thanks for the link to your experience. I think mine ended up taking me about 3 hours (I'm a little on the anal side also). I started them last night and everything was rolling along really smoothly. Then I attempted to get them lined up-that's where my nightmare started. I could not get them to fit without binding-I tried bending the brackets, using a dremel tool to slightly reshape the holes, adjusting the position of the brackets. I bet I raised and lowered the hood 200 times! Driver's side was fitting ok, not great and passenger side was a lost cause.I ended up walking away from the car frustrated so as not to do anything stupid and posted on here for a while. Tonite, I ended up experimenting by putting the original brackets on with the new pins- driver's side lined right up and passenger side in about 5 minutes. I adjusted the pin height, cable length, reinstalled the radiator cover and am finally finished. Had I just used the original brackets, I'd have been done in about 30 minutes. It must really depend on the individual car, I guess. End result looks very worth the effort, though.

So-anyone who is trying to install and having difficulty lining up, maybe give the original brackets a try.

Thanks Roger, I will keep you updated. Sorry it took so long to respond, been away for a couple weeks.

No problem. I've been pretty busy myself. That and collecting the new parts for the upgrades to be done. Just PM me and I'll pass along my number. Mywickedshelby will be traveling up from NJ the weekend of April 4 and we will be installing his along with a couple of other items.

Roger

Shelbydream1, I'm glad it worked out for you. I guess it's a toss-up as some have better luck using the original bases. When I first tried it with the originals the posts were way off so I used the newer bases. I guess it depends on how (where) the original holes are drilled. Anyway, I'm glad it everything is good now. Enjoy

Jim

No problem. I've been pretty busy myself. That and collecting the new parts for the upgrades to be done. Just PM me and I'll pass along my number. Mywickedshelby will be traveling up from NJ the weekend of April 4 and we will be installing his along with a couple of other items.

Roger

Keep me updated on when you and Mywickedshelby are meeting, I will try to meet up with you guys that weekend. I have a Dentist appointment the morning of the 5th, but as of now the rest of my weekend is open.

• 4 weeks later...

Just in case anyone wants to see the Black Lower Grill Insert on an 08 SGT Conv, I just installed mine last night. Here are some pictures I took day 2 of ownership before the lower grill insert, and just today with insert installed.

http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll83/AndyGJ/

You can't even tell that it is gloss black instead of Flat black. It matches perfectly!! My grill arrived about 4 weeks ago, and I just took it out of the box last night. No damage, but the grill had only two bolt holes. I drilled all four holes in to the lower grill, and then used a mini-drill from B & D to reverse drill into the bumper from the back side. All but one hole lined up perfectly.

Now on to the next mod...just don't tell my wife!!

AndyGJ.

Archived