TEAM SHELBY FORUM

corvett VS Gt500 or SS

why do Corvett owners hate Mustang owners and vice versa.

I told an old friend that I was buying a ford Mustang GT500, Holly shit you would have tought I cussed out his mother.

whats the deal.

both great cars

No hate here - they're all fine cars!

I told an old friend that I was buying a ford Mustang GT500, Holly shit you would have tought I cussed out his mother.

whats the deal.

both great cars

Chevy did me real wrong in the past, so now...Chevy sucks. :hysterical:

whats the deal.

both great cars

It is what you call brand loyalty.

I myself isn't loyal to just one brand domestic or foreign.

No hate here - they're all fine cars!

+1. I do respect the Vette for whait it is: a fine american sports car that is a great value when compared to the european brands. The GT500 is a totally different thing: it's more of a modern day muscle car. They are both great at what they are but I don't think they really compare. The only reasons why they are getting compared is horsepower plus the fact that the Camaro, which would be the real rival has been out for awhile. Once the Camaro is back, I don't think the media will compare the GT500 and the Corvette anymore.

I do respect the Vette for whait it is: a fine american sports car that is a great value when compared to the european brands. The GT500 is a totally different thing: it's more of a modern day muscle car.

+1

.Sports car vs. Muscle car.

.The Corvette is lighter and faster than the Shelby GT500 (stock) - they are the competition to beat. :chairshot:

whats the deal.

both great cars

Bought my first of 11 Mustangs in July 1976. I can't even ride in a Corvette.

CaptDave

.The Corvette is lighter and faster than the Shelby GT500 (stock) - they are the competition to beat. :chairshot:

...but wait, here are some videos of our GT500 (modified) beating the Vette! :cheerleader:

Link 1 ->

Link 2 -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5FG9XeMtTM

Link 3 ->

...and here is a modified Shelby GT500 (11.31) vs. a stock Shelby GT500 (13.23):

Link: ->

whats the deal.

both great cars

It's as old as time Chevy vs Ford. The Corvette owners ( Z06 owners that is) realize proberly after the purchase :headscratch: they paid 70,000 or more to run an 11.3 1/4 mi. and we can do that for 47,560 plus maybe another 2,500 if you purchased for invoice of course.

Do the $ to hp. ratio and we win every single time, Do the few required mods and you'll show them every single time :spiteful: Ain't it fun though ??

It is what you call brand loyalty.

I myself isn't loyal to just one brand domestic or foreign.

+1 If she is fast and sexy, or even just cool I love them all, cars TOO! The H2 has a blower! Bill

post-8064-1204982842_thumb.jpg

post-8064-1204982895_thumb.jpg

post-8064-1204982960_thumb.jpg

When I'm in my GT500, I love beating the corvettes. Hell. I like beating anything I can losing when I do lose. I've now got the wife talked into an enclosed car trailer, redoing our driveway and installing a 8 car garage for my toys. I was talking to her about getting a cheap mustang to drive around daily, mod it a bit and let my stepdaughter drive to the Mustang club meets and whatnot...She told me to get a different car. Told her I was going to get a 65 Stingray. She just said ok =)

63 up to 73 big and small block vettes set the bar and was "the" car to beat. Ford really had nothing until Mr. Shelby proved otherwise. Today, however, they mistakenly broadcast their car as the one to beat, but if you read those high praising articles written on GM ads paid paper, they're just one sided trashy magazines loaded with just that, GM ads. What you won't read or see is their sales. We see it on the news, layoffs after layoffs. I went to this year's North American International Autoshow (in Detriot) and all you heard circling the vette pit was the addition of their new supercharger set-up (like that of the GT500). Does this mean GM finally had to give in to a far more superior design or is it their last desperate move to compete? I won't disagree that some of the vette's technology, use of erotic mix metals, sleek design (more so from the Ferrarri line) on paper appear as the better car, but in reality, just doesn't capture the true essense of brute American muscle car. Back in the day, the Stringray was an ugly beast machine with mad thumping exhaust and high air suction sound screaming power under the hood. If you saw one in your rear view mirror, it just plain looked menacing, but now.... please. GM had it's place in history, and it is now time to pass the power trophy forward, and thank those new (old) designers who are capturing car like the new Challengers (hopefully new Chargers), Mustangs GTs, Shelby GT, GT-H, GT500, GT500KR, Supersnake, Roush, Saleen and any other class with a great muscle look and feel with power and techno juice to boot. I'll even through in the Viper (for it's older Cobra look of the past) as they all continue to sell...sell...sell, and did I forgot to mention, sell? GM had a chance to redeem musclar tradition with the new Camaro redesign until they reverted back to that coke bottle vette design killing it for me, a baby boomer with super deep pockets. What GM needs to do is redesign, the design staff and focus on the customer's desires.

Airborne

whats the deal.

both great cars

I'd take either one! I'd be driving a new Vette now if it weren't for the fact that I needed a back seat. It was nice saving the $12K (+ finance costs) also....

My father was a Chevy man his entire life. He worked a garage during the depression years. In '82 he bought a Celebrity with a four banger. GM screwed him over big time on this one; it was a total piece of junk. He had it in the garage well over a dozen times and still couldn't get it to run worth a rat's ass. After that experience, I promised myself to never buy a Chevy.

I've owned both a Corvette and a couple of mustangs. I owned a '74 Vette with a 350, turbo heads, steel crank, Holley, and it was smokin in the 80's. It chewed up mustangs and spit them out. Mustangs back then had been tamed quite a bit I guess do to pollution laws and such. Really it seemed like back then Chevy had the market cornered on performance parts...remember turbo heads bow tie heads and such. Ford just wasn't that interested. I think thats why CSM has been so great the last couple of years. They've revived Ford and got them interested in making a hot car again. I'm not sure all of this would have happend without Shelby. Chevy even with the new Camaro is going to have to play catch-up. Right now I'm a Shelby Guy mainly for all the parts and mods you can buy and value (bang for the buck). I'd love to buy a Z06 and have looked but don't want to spend 80K to watch it turn into 40K in the next 4 years. Both are Great Cars!

So as a Corvette enthusist .

237560529_2U67a-M.jpg

I dont have any ill feeling to any other cars With the exception of "unsafe collector car" (pretty scary to think whats underneith the shiny paint of one third of the shiney new painted cars pulling into to car show next to us) anyways

As a vette owner I was often snubbed by some of the Mustang guys at car events, I knew it was not all Mustang owners but its the silly remarks that kinda make you feel uncomfortable, Like "hey the plastic cars are supposed to park over there" this is what I got pulling into a car cruise with my 10 year old daughter in the car.

and its not just other makes seams some of the folks driving the newer vettes didnt even know my 62 was a vette, one new vette owner I ran into at a gas station suggested I just save up enogh for a deposit and finance a new vette, (I could have probably purchased 2 new vettes for what it cost me to build my 62) anyways it seams some folks are just jerks and think what ever they are driving today is the best there is. Then there are othe folks like me that just admire a car for what it is regaurdless of the make.

I came to this forum to gather info on a shelby purchase ,I am in the market for a black or orange gt500 convertable and have kinda gave up on purchaseing one at msrp and have been agressively looking for a black or orange convertable roush

PS I am 43 and my first car I owned at age 12 was a 69 and 67 mustang convertable I fixed up and sold to finance my first car on the road 1969 Mustang grande that I stuffed a 390 in to. I have probably owned about 15 to 20 Mustangs my last one being a 1970 Mach 1 i sold in 1995 to get my 1966 vette

My reason for wanting the mustang/shelby is I know want a 4 seat convertable as we if we want to go to a car cruise we always have to take 2 cars

I like vettes fine. I prefer the older style of looks for them but for me I started out with a Mustang as my first car. Bought it in primer from my auto shop teacher my Soph. yr of HS. It was a 1971 Mach one we used for the class project car until it was safe to drive home. At the time my parents were driving a boat Olds delta 88 and a 1st yr dodge caravan so when i stepped on the gas in this mach 1 with a 350 engine and it busted the bald tires loose and took off out of the school parking lot I was a mustang fan. It was soon painted all black to match the black interrior......I soon after blew the engine thanks to fine rear main seals in those old Fords. Next cam a lovely 1978 Mustang II with a 302 and gears and lots of other little goodies. It was fun as it was a true sleeper and really quick from light to light but crap for a top end - maybe 120 and that took a lot of road because it really was painful after about 100....once again all black.....do you see the pattern here ;)

I then bought a 2005 vert when they brought out that redone body style. I wanted a Jag but when i went toest drive one my thigh wouldn't fit between the steering wheel and the seat....I was fairly disappointed in that as it was a nice sporty vert and I love the look....which brings me to the vette. I tried to get in one and it was not as bad as the Jag but a 6'5 and nearly 300 lb ex football player and boxer does not belong in the cockpit of a vette. I shoe horned myself in and broke a sweat getting out trying not to break anything along the way. It's too bad as I think the Vette's are nice cars. I then discovered the GT500 was coming and the space was the same as the 05 vert.....so when the time came away with the 05 wind devil blue vert and into my life came the GT500 vert....All Black!

Nothing against vettes, vipers, chargers etc. It's just they are the other team. Part of what makes having a car like this fun is having some one to compete with. I'm not a brand loyalist - I cheer for Tony Stewart in Nascar and I think he's in a toyota now. My all time favorite is Dale E. and he was a Chevy guy. I have nothing against vettes at all other than I can't fit in them and so I want to beat them. It's all in good fun though - They are a great car for skinny guys ;)

• 4 weeks later...
I like vettes fine. I prefer the older style of looks for them but for me I started out with a Mustang as my first car. Bought it in primer from my auto shop teacher my Soph. yr of HS. It was a 1971 Mach one we used for the class project car until it was safe to drive home. At the time my parents were driving a boat Olds delta 88 and a 1st yr dodge caravan so when i stepped on the gas in this mach 1 with a 350 engine and it busted the bald tires loose and took off out of the school parking lot I was a mustang fan. It was soon painted all black to match the black interrior......I soon after blew the engine thanks to fine rear main seals in those old Fords. Next cam a lovely 1978 Mustang II with a 302 and gears and lots of other little goodies. It was fun as it was a true sleeper and really quick from light to light but crap for a top end - maybe 120 and that took a lot of road because it really was painful after about 100....once again all black.....do you see the pattern here ;)

I then bought a 2005 vert when they brought out that redone body style. I wanted a Jag but when i went toest drive one my thigh wouldn't fit between the steering wheel and the seat....I was fairly disappointed in that as it was a nice sporty vert and I love the look....which brings me to the vette. I tried to get in one and it was not as bad as the Jag but a 6'5 and nearly 300 lb ex football player and boxer does not belong in the cockpit of a vette. I shoe horned myself in and broke a sweat getting out trying not to break anything along the way. It's too bad as I think the Vette's are nice cars. I then discovered the GT500 was coming and the space was the same as the 05 vert.....so when the time came away with the 05 wind devil blue vert and into my life came the GT500 vert....All Black!

Nothing against vettes, vipers, chargers etc. It's just they are the other team. Part of what makes having a car like this fun is having some one to compete with. I'm not a brand loyalist - I cheer for Tony Stewart in Nascar and I think he's in a toyota now. My all time favorite is Dale E. and he was a Chevy guy. I have nothing against vettes at all other than I can't fit in them and so I want to beat them. It's all in good fun though - They are a great car for skinny guys ;)

I got tired of both Ford and Chevy trucks so I went to a Sportchassis 410 HP crewcab.

www.sportchassis.com

I pick up my new 08 GT500 on 4-11, then wait to get called up and head tp SAI for the SS725.

Archived