TEAM SHELBY FORUM

It’s Official. Dodge Cars To Be Added To The Shelby Museum In Vegas.

Carroll Shelby and Shelby Autos President AmyB have generously offered to expand the museum in Las Vegas so that the Chrysler cars can go back on public display later this year. It has been at least 5-7 years since they’ve been on display to the general public and I’m excited that Shelby enthusiasts will soon get to see some of the rarest Shelby’s ever built.

Carroll’s collection of Shelby Dodge vehicles is quite large and includes most of the #001 first built cars of each model along with some little known prototypes. Because of the size of the Dodge collection it looks like we will rotate the cars several times a year so that visitors to Shelby Autos will see something different when taking the factory tour.

Now before any of you Dodge Boys (and gals) hop on the next plane to Vegas please remember this is just an announcement that the cars are coming as the museum area will need to be enlarged from its current configuration to accommodate the additional cars besides some preventative maintenance needs to be performed on a few of the cars. So keep an eye out for future updates. Until then here are a few photo’s showing just a few of Carroll’s Chrysler cars. I’ll get some pics of the prototype cars later. Can’t you just hear each car saying pick me, pick me. :hyper2:

Steve

CSCars1.jpgCSCars2.jpgCSCars3.jpg

Excellent news, I remember seeing them there back in 2000!

there are some rare proto types that didn't quite make it. The 4x4 blue Shelby truck. and others would be cool to see if they still have them. The first Dodges to be modified by Shelbys people and then sold was the DC trucks. I want to see one some day restored to stock. Shelby wasn't a manufacture at the time, don't know if they exist with them.

When will they be on display? Before July??? We're coming in April but will be back out in July to get the S/C put on the GT (provided they release the hold before then.)

Tony

Baring any complications you will be in luck on your July visit. Updates will be posted as they become available.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
Ya know that's exactly what I think every time I pull up beside a 68 Shelby in one of my Hemi cars.

EXACTLY!

DUDE, LET"S HANG OUT!!!

Shelby has complained about the later GTs for years though because they were so heavy. Also they didn't have the power. The smallest engine in a Road Runner is the 335 HP 383, the biggest GT engine was the 335 HP 428. That still left the hefty GT with a 440 4 barrel, 440 Six Pack and the big 426.

Worse and more fair? How about the "tuner Shelby GT500KR" vs the "tuner Hurst 426 Dart" in 1968 hehe.

What has got to me lately are these guys with FAKE Shelbys that are turning there nose up at me in my real ones. Local here has a GT350 as he would like people to believe and it shows up with side vents. So I made a point of asking him in front of people why he cloned a GT350 and brought up the vents. Next time out at the track the side windows were in lol. So he paired up with my old 72 440 Ralley Challenger (340 car), nope dude won't race it. So I went and brought out the "little car" and he said he would race the GLHS. Then I ran 12.68 @ 109 on the all seasons lol. Nope now he won't it either. There are 3 Cobras running around here too, fiberglass cheap clones with Mustang GT 302s in them. There is at least one fast one, twin turbos and 23 PSI of boost. It is sad but there are so many Shelby Ford clones that they have become diluted.

Tony

Baring any complications you will be in luck on your July visit. Updates will be posted as they become available.

Steve

I was there on Friday for the tour. Where the heck are they going? Where is the expansion going to be? There didn't seem to be any more room in that building but there was alot of space nearby.

I was there on Friday for the tour. Where the heck are they going? Where is the expansion going to be? There didn't seem to be any more room in that building but there was alot of space nearby.

Tony I think Fridays tour may have set an attendance record for SAI. Boy was that crowd huge.

Anyway the museum is going to be expanded where some office space is currently located. If you recall where AmyB's orange Shelby is at in the museum the back of her car is against the wall that is coming down. Its the same wall next to the Series 1 car.

Everything is on schedule. The offices are now empty ready for tear down and the Dodge cars are getting some needed maintenance performed. We are also getting some neat framed photographs for the walls.

Steve

PS- The Shelby Cafe will have its grand opening anyday now so folks will have a place to go after the tour if they desire.

Tony I think Fridays tour may have set an attendance record for SAI. Boy was that crowd huge.

Anyway the museum is going to be expanded where some office space is currently located. If you recall where AmyB's orange Shelby is at in the museum the back of her car is against the wall that is coming down. Its the same wall next to the Series 1 car.

Everything is on schedule. The offices are now empty ready for tear down and the Dodge cars are getting some needed maintenance performed. We are also getting some neat framed photographs for the walls.

Steve

PS- The Shelby Cafe will have its grand opening anyday now so folks will have a place to go after the tour if they desire.

I'd never been there before but when I walked in the door I expected 20 people tops (our Vegas friend went there about a month ago.) All the Mini Cooper folks on their tour.

Is the video that was playing available? I think the same one might be at the Boulder museum but I've never been able to sit and watch the whole thing.

The cafe will be cool - a place to sit and chat with fellow enthusiasts. Coffee and pie.

Does Adrienne ever take a show of hands as to how many Shelby owners are present?

I can't wait to come back in July!

What has got to me lately are these guys with FAKE Shelbys that are turning there nose up at me in my real ones.

I think that is one of the great things about joining all of the cars together not only on this forum, but more importantly, at the museum will introduce people to all of Carroll's cars. On this forum under Apparel and Collectibles, there is some discussion of finding a 1/18 Series 1. The author who seems to know the modern Shelby Mustang had no idea of the Series 1. Another wrote that he seen one once at the museum. Some research on this forum and they found out some history. If this forum and this collective museum didn't exist, more of Carroll's work would not be seen.

Some people are just finding out about Carroll's cars from the new GT500 in the magazines. Then they find out he's been building cars since the 60's. :o

I guess if there is a good thing about all of the clones, it is that more people get exposed to the car...

• 3 months later...

Time for an update.

Yes I know, I'd too would have expected that the museum would be done by now but things happen and hotter priorities like all the Team Shelby events this year come first. This doesn't mean we've forgotten its just been pushed back a little bit.

The good news is that the expansion work has started in Vegas. And just as recently as last week I had Amy visit the L.A. warehouse and approve a mock display of the first three Shelby Dodges to go into the museum. Amy was pleased and gave a big thumbs up :happy feet:

We are also in the process of putting together some Shelby Dodge memorabilia for display along side the cars. Hopefully the memorabilia I'm putting together will be rare enough that even the die hard Shelby Dodge enthusiast will leave with a smile on their face.

Some other ideas are still on the table until I see exactly how much floor space we'll have but you can bet I'm going to make sure we use every inch of it. :yup:

Steve

Amy showed me the plans for the museum expansion yesterday and all I can say is wow. Lets just say the museum will look like nothing it has before. And some areas will be interactive.

Construction will be done in three phases so that at least some part of the museum will always be open to visitors. Adrianne doesn't need any Clark Griswolds now does she :wacko:

Stay tuned.

Steve

Amy showed me the plans for the museum expansion yesterday and all I can say is wow. Lets just say the museum will look like nothing it has before. And some areas will be interactive.

Construction will be done in three phases so that at least some part of the museum will always be open to visitors. Adrianne doesn't need any Clark Griswolds now does she :wacko:

Stay tuned.

Steve

Can't wait to visit you guys out there.

Here's a question for you guys. Do you still have the parts chaser Rampage?

Rmpge12.jpg

Robert that's a great question. The answer is no but it makes you wonder if that Page still exists somewhere.

Technically that Rampage belonged to Chrysler at their Nu-Car prep center in Santa Fe Springs. My guess is that when Chrysler lost their lease of the SFS facility the Rampage was disposed of. That doesn't necessarily mean crushed, since it was only cosmetically modified I don't see why it couldn't have been sold off.

I'm afraid without a vin number we will never know if it survives today.

Steve

Robert that's a great question. The answer is no but it makes you wonder if that Page still exists somewhere.

Technically that Rampage belonged to Chrysler at their Nu-Car prep center in Santa Fe Springs. My guess is that when Chrysler lost their lease of the SFS facility the Rampage was disposed of. That doesn't necessarily mean crushed, since it was only cosmetically modified I don't see why it couldn't have been sold off.

I'm afraid without a vin number we will never know if it survives today.

Steve

Kinda figured, but doesn't hurt to ask. Too bad the Rampage didn't survive long enough to be Shelby-ized. :(

Archived