TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Initial thoughts on the Saleen Supercharger on the Mustang GT

moabman

I am definitely enjoying the boost! I have 3.73 gears and when I go to WOT at any speed less than 20, I can spin the tires with ease. In fact, I wonder exactly how the traction control works because I get prolonged wheel spin with pronounced directional drift if I leave it floored. I checked with JDM who did the tune and they said that they positively left the TC active. I haven't gotten the nerve to turn it off yet :hysterical2: Of course, this is a twin screw supercharger supposedly made by Lysholm but may actually be built by Eaton for Lysholm. As you can tell from above comments, the low end torque is simply wonderful. Because I have the 5R555 automatic transmission, it is a perfect match. I can't control the RPMs by gear selection as well as with a manual so the wide power band really helps. In addition, this configuration is pretty adiabatically efficient. That's important because I live in Houston so the summer heat can really hurt the performance of roots and centrifugals. BTW it doesn't help the twin screws either but we don't suffer quite as much.

The Saleen like the Whipple is quiet. I can hear the blower but not like the factory GT500s. The major difference between mine and the Whipple big boost is the inverted configuration of the Saleen. On mine, the blower is mounted below the inter-cooler so it blows upward through the inter-cooler and then down some long runners to the heads. The throttle valve is located just slightly above the stock position and a long flat snorkel tube channels the air to the inlet of the supercharger. I thought that with the long runners I might notice a slight lag compared to the Whipple but if there is a lag its slight. I should mention that I have only driven a GT with the Whipple High Output package once but the two twin screw based setups seemed pretty comparable. It is a more finished look but if you want to show off that blower better pick the Whipple because you can only see the pulley on mine.

My MPG has taken a big hit though....now averaging 14.3 mpg and thats with about 50% highway miles and only an occasional use of the loud pedal. I checked and running at 65 on the highway, I'm getting 22.6 mpg. It seems to use a lot of gas on startup. That's one of my complaints/concerns. Everyone has probably noticed how our cars rev pretty high on cold start. This blower accentuates that. It is actually producing boost at 2000 rpm and my initial idle rev is even higher and longer than it was when the engine was NA. Anyone that has an idea on how to fix this, please let me know. I don't drive my car everyday. In fact I only put on 4500 miles last year. I drive it on average about once or twice a week so I'm worried about those cold starts with the oil all in the pan :banghead:

Even so, I love this mod. It's not for everyone but if you have a GT with the automatic and would like some instant response, give it a look. It really plants you back in the seat very firmly.

I'm supposed to be at 425 rwhp and 11 psi boost and I can't imagine what those GT500s with 600 & 700 hp are like. :happy feet:

The new throttle body position slightly above the stock position. Kind of hard to see the supercharger isn't it? Easy to see the snorkel tube and runners though.

2179384729_55b5b25094_b.jpg

There it is! At least you can see the pulley :hysterical2:

2180172692_223d28883d_b.jpg

It is a finished look. No room for a strut tower brace, however. The hood just barely clears it.

2179382175_aa00fb5a43_b.jpg

See - there really is a twinscrew blower in there somewhere :hysterical2:

2179377057_3f1ace7afe_b.jpg

Hey there,

Nice writeup. Sounds like you are enjoying for sure :) We are a Saleen retail distributor and install facility. We havent had a Saleen SC install yet - REALLY looking forward to that for sure (so we can get some before and after dyno pulls).

Another option is the Magnuson supercharger. We have it on both of our exhibition cars. Havent dyno'd the newer of the two cars yet - but the '05 is putting down 429 RWHP and 402 RWTQ on our inhouse dyno. Only other modification (if you would call it that) is our center exit exhaust.

Enjoy your car - and keep us posted :)

Page

Hi Mark - great write up!

With my Vortech, I don't get the same quick boost, but I do get upper end power.

And with my 4:10's - 1st gear is quick.

Based on the dashboard computer - I get about 30 mpg at a steady 60 mph.

While I might lack the intial boost in 1st gear - from 2nd up - I'm on the boost when I shift.

Enjoy.... Twinscrews are a blast to drive....

Been thinking about 3:73's as well, but not certain of that yet. I am putting the car in shop next week for a complete brake job and watts link suspension so I would want to make a decision soon, but don't want to put too much stress on the tranny with the gear change and the whipple, maybe too much...

I know what you mean about the transmission! That's why I got the kit from JDM. They have a Saleen Mustang that they have been drag racing for 3 years now and Jim swears (he ought to know, it's his car) that the transmission can handle it. It has on their racer. He's pretty familiar with the 5R555 and can reprogram it to perform better and last longer. I can tell you that the shifts are now very abrupt and hard especially when the transmission is cold. People who know tell me that this is good.

Heat is my biggest worry however, so I'm thinking of installing a cooler and a guage. I'll probably also change the transmission oil sooner - maybe at 20,000.

Hi Mark - great write up!

With my Vortech, I don't get the same quick boost, but I do get upper end power.

And with my 4:10's - 1st gear is quick.

Based on the dashboard computer - I get about 30 mpg at a steady 60 mph.

While I might lack the intial boost in 1st gear - from 2nd up - I'm on the boost when I shift.

Does the Rufstang really rev up on cold start? Mine hits 2000 RPM. Makes me cringe. I can just imagine all that dry metal.....

Hey there,

Nice writeup. Sounds like you are enjoying for sure :) We are a Saleen retail distributor and install facility. We havent had a Saleen SC install yet - REALLY looking forward to that for sure (so we can get some before and after dyno pulls).

Another option is the Magnuson supercharger. We have it on both of our exhibition cars. Havent dyno'd the newer of the two cars yet - but the '05 is putting down 429 RWHP and 402 RWTQ on our inhouse dyno. Only other modification (if you would call it that) is our center exit exhaust.

Enjoy your car - and keep us posted :)

Page

Thanks Page! You probably saw my next mod listed on my signature :happy feet: About that AP system...... :happy feet:

I am definitely enjoying the boost! I have 3.73 gears and when I go to WOT at any speed less than 20, I can spin the tires with ease. In fact, I wonder exactly how the traction control works because I get prolonged wheel spin with pronounced directional drift if I leave it floored. I checked with JDM who did the tune and they said that they positively left the TC active. I haven't gotten the nerve to turn it off yet :hysterical2: Of course, this is a twin screw supercharger supposedly made by Lysholm but may actually be built by Eaton for Lysholm. As you can tell from above comments, the low end torque is simply wonderful. Because I have the 5R555 automatic transmission, it is a perfect match. I can't control the RPMs by gear selection as well as with a manual so the wide power band really helps. In addition, this configuration is pretty adiabatically efficient. That's important because I live in Houston so the summer heat can really hurt the performance of roots and centrifugals. BTW it doesn't help the twin screws either but we don't suffer quite as much.

The Saleen like the Whipple is quiet. I can hear the blower but not like the factory GT500s. The major difference between mine and the Whipple big boost is the inverted configuration of the Saleen. On mine, the blower is mounted below the inter-cooler so it blows upward through the inter-cooler and then down some long runners to the heads. The throttle valve is located just slightly above the stock position and a long flat snorkel tube channels the air to the inlet of the supercharger. I thought that with the long runners I might notice a slight lag compared to the Whipple but if there is a lag its slight. I should mention that I have only driven a GT with the Whipple High Output package once but the two twin screw based setups seemed pretty comparable. It is a more finished look but if you want to show off that blower better pick the Whipple because you can only see the pulley on mine.

My MPG has taken a big hit though....now averaging 14.3 mpg and thats with about 50% highway miles and only an occasional use of the loud pedal. I checked and running at 65 on the highway, I'm getting 22.6 mpg. It seems to use a lot of gas on startup. That's one of my complaints/concerns. Everyone has probably noticed how our cars rev pretty high on cold start. This blower accentuates that. It is actually producing boost at 2000 rpm and my initial idle rev is even higher and longer than it was when the engine was NA. Anyone that has an idea on how to fix this, please let me know. I don't drive my car everyday. In fact I only put on 4500 miles last year. I drive it on average about once or twice a week so I'm worried about those cold starts with the oil all in the pan :banghead:

Even so, I love this mod. It's not for everyone but if you have a GT with the automatic and would like some instant response, give it a look. It really plants you back in the seat very firmly.

I'm supposed to be at 425 rwhp and 11 psi boost and I can't imagine what those GT500s with 600 & 700 hp are like. :happy feet:

The new throttle body position slightly above the stock position. Kind of hard to see the supercharger isn't it? Easy to see the snorkel tube and runners though.

2179384729_55b5b25094_b.jpg

There it is! At least you can see the pulley :hysterical2:

2180172692_223d28883d_b.jpg

It is a finished look. No room for a strut tower brace, however. The hood just barely clears it.

2179382175_aa00fb5a43_b.jpg

See - there really is a twinscrew blower in there somewhere :hysterical2:

2179377057_3f1ace7afe_b.jpg

Very nice upgrade? How is the inner cooler working out? I have been looking at the SUPERCHARGER/ Shacker system. Do you know if they haver released the Shaker system yet? I also have a 08 Vert with the Automatic. I have stock gears. Anyway thank you for posting you pictures and posting how things are going with your project.

Does the Rufstang really rev up on cold start? Mine hits 2000 RPM. Makes me cringe. I can just imagine all that dry metal.....

I think on start up - it revs to about 12-1300 for about five seconds. Then it idles down to around 1k. I'm really surprised by your mpg, though. At 75 mph (cruise on flat ground), I'm showing 27-8 mpg. How can that be? And I'm resetting the computer every few miles.

I think on start up - it revs to about 12-1300 for about five seconds. Then it idles down to around 1k. I'm really surprised by your mpg, though. At 75 mph (cruise on flat ground), I'm showing 27-8 mpg. How can that be? And I'm resetting the computer every few miles.

I have the automatic transmission and you have the standard so there's a little bit of the difference. I have new 39 lb injectors also and maybe the twin screws take a little time to develop a good bearing surface polish. It's not my daily driver so I'm not to worried about the mileage because I only drive it about 5000 miles a year.

I am worried about it going up to 2000 RPM on start however. Mine was like yours when it was NA about 1200 -1300 and then back to 900. I really would like to know if there is a fix becuae 2000 rpms 1 second after starting the car when it has not been driven for 3 days can't be good! :banghead:

Very nice upgrade? How is the inner cooler working out? I have been looking at the SUPERCHARGER/ Shacker system. Do you know if they haver released the Shaker system yet? I also have a 08 Vert with the Automatic. I have stock gears. Anyway thank you for posting you pictures and posting how things are going with your project.

The inter-cooler is working fine. I ended up using a water - green antifreeze mixture on a recommendation. Many other people recommended using a water wetter and water mixture. I think that the water wetter might be a little more efficient and the anti-freeze option might protect the two exchangers a little more.

Don't know about the shaker hood. I have a hard enough time seeing over the hood as it is. :hysterical2:

The inter-cooler is working fine. I ended up using a water - green antifreeze mixture on a recommendation. Many other people recommended using a water wetter and water mixture. I think that the water wetter might be a little more efficient and the anti-freeze option might protect the two exchangers a little more.

Don't know about the shaker hood. I have a hard enough time seeing over the hood as it is. :hysterical2:

Hey moabman about your start ups. Have you ever maybe thought about adding a Pre-oiler system to it. That would stop the dry start ups. What about the full synthetic oils I would think they would do a better job than that. Anyway Just a thought. Thanks

Do you have a link for pre-oilers? I'm definately interested. I swapped to Mobil 1 at 500 miles in part for this reason.

Moabman I have sent some emails out and should find out tomoorw who is making a good kit for the mustangs.

check this site out http://home.comcast.net/~jimproc/

Moabman what I did to my blown 66 is to use the starter only for about 4 sec then wait 4 sec and I did it again till the pressure built up to about 60lbs some times 70lbs. Then I would just tap the throttle a couple times and it would fire up right away.Anyway just a thought. You might not be able to do that being you have a electric fuel pump. I will get back to yea.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Mark, glad to see you're happy with the Saleen blower. That was going to be my first pick of blowers (I love instant low rpm torque). However, with the 4.10's and especially the 4,300 rpm stall converter in my '07 GT, a centrifugal makes more sense as my car is only in the 4,300 to 6,500 rpm range at WOT.

So, I ordered a Vortech V-2 SQ standard S-trim last week from Page at Stillen (who I see posting in this thread, coincidentally!). He made the order very easy and gave me an awesome deal that I couldn't pass up. Thanks once again, Page!!!

Bryan, which Vortech is on your car? I've been away from Team Shelby for awhile (been mostly over at the TMS website), so I don't know anything about the blower you're running.

Archived