TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2008 Shelby GT Wins Motor Trend PonyCar War

sharon

just went and picked this one up just to put with the other SGT stuff ;) for the most part seems like an unbiased article from a source that i usualy find very biased against US cars.

Well, they couldn't go too wrong -- all they had were American cars in the test. Even MT could not foul that up. Jim

of course they did have to put there jabs in the side bar "if it were our money? we'd take the gt and pocket the change. or we'd seriously consider the quicker corvette or more refined 335i coupe."

My sense is that the editors of that magazine are not vets of the car wars of the 50's and 60's. Unless you "get it" about the visceral attraction of these cars you can never appreciate their appeal to true believers. In the 70's I bought a Porsche and had it for 30 years. It was a great car but it was not a ground pounding, thundering kind of car. When we drive these cars, we FEEL them both literally and figuratively. That MT even missed the suspension improvements in the SGT (or, again, did not "get it") is probably derivative of them not understanding the finer points of cars that deliver power in an almost animal fashion. In the end, it comes down to whether a person enjoys a certain car. I sure don't own one of these things to impress MT or anyone for that matter. I own it because everything about it makes me smile. Jim

Brilliantly said Jim

+1

but it still gets old hearing MT go on and on about euro cars and CONsumer reports go on and on about japanese cars. i have seen some test from both where the amarican car wins hands down in there own numbers then they give the shoot out to a different car because "its more refined"/"made better".

My sense is that the editors of that magazine are not vets of the car wars of the 50's and 60's. Unless you "get it" about the visceral attraction of these cars you can never appreciate their appeal to true believers. In the 70's I bought a Porsche and had it for 30 years. It was a great car but it was not a ground pounding, thundering kind of car. When we drive these cars, we FEEL them both literally and figuratively. That MT even missed the suspension improvements in the SGT (or, again, did not "get it") is probably derivative of them not understanding the finer points of cars that deliver power in an almost animal fashion. In the end, it comes down to whether a person enjoys a certain car. I sure don't own one of these things to impress MT or anyone for that matter. I own it because everything about it makes me smile. Jim

Very well said. MT does love the jap & euro cars to the maximum. I was SHOCKED they even picked the Mustang to test as they hate them all! MT just does not get that we Americans love our V8's and the price that goes along with them. If you were to buy a V8 in a Mercedes Benz you'd pay over a $100K++ just to get it. So for $40K these cars are just awesome and they have American heritage to go along with it and that name, SHELBY. I also believe they just did the test because the Mustang is so well recieved in the USA.

Ya, the SGT is the number one Mustang in it's class and I love it.

It's nice to see things go our way for a change. The Saleen people are not too happy about it either. Here's a link to some of their comments on the article.

By the way, where's SaleenKing when you need him!!! I'd like to get his input on this article. :poke:

http://www.mustangforums.com/m_4699158/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm

Most people that complain about the outcomes of these tests have not driven any of them!The Shelby GT impressed me more than the Roush 427R,Sad but true.The Shelby fits the bill to a T!It could use a little more power but you did want affordability and a warranty,Right?

It's nice to see things go our way for a change. The Saleen people are not too happy about it either. Here's a link to some of their comments on the article.

By the way, where's SaleenKing when you need him!!! I'd like to get his input on this article. :poke:

http://www.mustangforums.com/m_4699158/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm

Don't start that again! :hysterical2:

I picked up the mag today because it has the Challenger on the cover, but read this as well. I think it really just comes down to a personal choice between the three. I like the clean looks of my SGT over the Roush or Saleen.

Guess I am the odd man out.....regardless of what the article says, I still love 'em all! I wish someone would call me today and tell me that I had won a Saleen and a Roush to go with my Shelby! I certainly would not turn them away.

I think it's great that we have others who are pushing the envelope on making these cars what they are...the number 1 selling sports car in America. I think I am correct in that statement...if not someone will surely correct me. This just makes it better for all of us in the end! When I go to car shows I absolutely love looking at them all and admire what each one brings to the table.

just my .02 cents. Now back to work! :happy feet:

My Porsche 928S did anything you could ask a car to do. Flew down the road, carved corners, handled snow (very well surprisingly), loooked fantastic, AND IT WAS BLACK. and a backseat for my kids.

Loved that car, believe it or not, I donated it to Big Brothers and Big Sisters 2 years ago.

Archived