TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Those with Shelby Center Gauge Pod....

I got the instructions for installing the Shelby Center Gauge Pod. I interested in the non-SC version and it looks like I can install this myself. So..., those who have this cluster (SC or non-SC) how do you like it? How is the fit on the dash? Anyone have pics?

I got the instructions for installing the Shelby Center Gauge Pod. I interested in the non-SC version and it looks like I can install this myself. So..., those who have this cluster (SC or non-SC) how do you like it? How is the fit on the dash? Anyone have pics?

I had the non S/C version installed by SAI. I like it a lot. The fit is not perfect, but it does look good.

I'll try to post some pictures later today.

I like mine a lot. The only issue is that the oil temp doesn't read very high...

I had fit issues at first. John from SAI sent me a new one and I had the dealer swap out. It fits great now...

gallery_11008_311_173861.jpg

It came with the car as part of the Shelby GT - California Package.

The fit/finish is very good.

My only complaint is with the Oil Temp gage. For whatever reason, the temperature range on the dial face is too high. The needle never moves much from the "cold" position, even when the engine is warm. :headscratch::headscratch:

There's been a few posts about it. The lowest value is 140 deg F. Mine's a daily driver and I bought it last October. I haven't had it in the hot summer days. Well, hot for Northern California. Maybe it will move more, then.

But the rest is fine!! :yup:

This is another one of those areas where my luck runs out. Just like the big brake kits that won't fit the stock SGT wheel.

I like the pod and what it adds to the cockpit in terms of gauge variety and visibility. But, it's made for 2-5/8" OD gauges. The universally accepted 2 1/16" OD gauges are too small for the mounting cup. Thus I cannot mix-and-match other gauges as I wish.

There are some 2-5/8" OD gauges available, but the variety is small in comparasion to the 2-1/6" OD.

I know there are other pods available too, but I tend to be loyal to Shelby first, and prefer those products for my SGT. Guess I just like to keep it all in the family.

This is another one of those areas where my luck runs out. Just like the big brake kits that won't fit the stock SGT wheel.

I like the pod and what it adds to the cockpit in terms of gauge variety and visibility. But, it's made for 2-5/8" OD gauges. The universally accepted 2 1/16" OD gauges are too small for the mounting cup. Thus I cannot mix-and-match other gauges as I wish.

There are some 2-5/8" OD gauges available, but the variety is small in comparasion to the 2-1/6" OD.

I know there are other pods available too, but I tend to be loyal to Shelby first, and prefer those products for my SGT. Guess I just like to keep it all in the family.

Yes. Me 2

The gauges are Shelby with the carbon fiber look.

Very nice.

Jaydub, where in NorCal?

Dan

I like mine a lot. The only issue is that the oil temp doesn't read very high...

I had fit issues at first. John from SAI sent me a new one and I had the dealer swap out. It fits great now...

Boy, it looks good! Now if I can justify $670 (gauges + oil manifold) + shipping. Ouch!

But I want! I want It! :happy feet:

OK, I've done some research. It appears that the GlowShift oil filter adapter (M22) is the best way to go for installing oil press and temp sensors. But it adds 1" to the depth the oil filter sticks out from the block and comes very close to the thicker FRPP sway bar. So Shelby uses a remote manifold for the sensors and thus the cause for the low oil temp readings. I'm going to change my oil this weekend and make some measurements to see if the Glowshift adapter will work. It's already kind of tight getting the filter out when get it fully unscrewed so it may not work.

OK, I've done some research. It appears that the GlowShift oil filter adapter (M22) is the best way to go for installing oil press and temp sensors. But it adds 1" to the depth the oil filter sticks out from the block and comes very close to the thicker FRPP sway bar. So Shelby uses a remote manifold for the sensors and thus the cause for the low oil temp readings. I'm going to change my oil this weekend and make some measurements to see if the Glowshift adapter will work. It's already kind of tight getting the filter out when get it fully unscrewed so it may not work.

Interesting. Please post back after you learn if this adapter will work...

Even more research. If you keep the remote manifold, these three products would insulate the tube and the manifold to help get a better temp reading.

Cut the right length and slide this onto the braided hose:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a...mp;autoview=sku

Tape the ends using this or equivalent:

Cut and piece onto the manifold block using this self adhesive insulation:

I think these ideas or something like them are simple and would help get better temp readings.

Even more research. If you keep the remote manifold, these three products would insulate the tube and the manifold to help get a better temp reading.

Cut the right length and slide this onto the braided hose:

Tape the ends using this or equivalent:

Cut and piece onto the manifold block using this self adhesive insulation:

I think these ideas or something like them are simple and would help get better temp readings.

for installation what about one of these to just simplify the install?

http://www.shelbyperformanceparts.com/Show...uge%20Pods.aspx

I thought installing my gauges was a huge PITA, I didn't run accross these Steeda until I was already commited. I'd seriously consider them if I had it to do over again. You just plug them in to the OBD II port and you can monitor a number of sensors.

I thought installing my gauges was a huge PITA, I didn't run accross these Steeda until I was already commited. I'd seriously consider them if I had it to do over again. You just plug them in to the OBD II port and you can monitor a number of sensors.

If I stay with the SAI gauges, can you tell me what the most difficult problems were? How to avoid them, etc.?

This manifold is the problem with the oil temp. It's too remote from the engine oil tap and the oil cools before it reaches this manifold and the temp sensor.

Can't the oil temp gauge be calibrated to compensate for the heat loss due to the oil manifold location?

This manifold is the problem with the oil temp. It's too remote from the engine oil tap and the oil cools before it reaches this manifold and the temp sensor.

I would think you could bypass the manifold all together and tap off of where the manifold line connects to the block :headscratch:

I'll have to take a look at my set up and see where it is connected.

Here are the manufacturer's (Auto Meter) version sans the "Carroll Shelby" but otherwise identical:

Go to http://www.mustangsunlimited.com and search for these part numbers-

Carbon-Fiber Gauges

Mechanical

Water: AM4831

Oil: AM4821

Fuel: AM4811

Boost: AM4803

Electrical

Water: AM4837

Oil: AM4827

Fuel: AM4848

Boost: AM4891

Just an FYI!

Interesting. Please post back after you learn if this adapter will work...

I did some measurements to see if the Glowshift oil filter adapter would work and..........

Maybe!!

The measurement with the oil filter backed out all the way leaves only 1" from the FRPP sway bar, using a metal scale, and the thickness of the Glowshift is 1". The stock sway bar would give more clearance. So either you will just be able to force the filter in there and get the threads on the filter engaged or you won't. You would have to buy one to try it IMO.

Another thing on the oil filter temps of this car. It appears the NORMAL oil temps are very low. 125F-150F from others who have installed the sensors right at the block. So I would say the oil filter temps are right on the SAI gauges and it would be safe to say a waste of a gauge unless you are racing.

The SAI install instructions are very good and I've figured out just what to do. So I'm going to order one of these kits and just use the oil manifold you get from SAI.

Archived