TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rear Stripe overlap failure....better check yours !!!

Grabber

:redcard:

Description: The 2 overlaps on my rear stripes are showing hairline cracks at the overlap.

Problem: When the top stripe overlaps the bottom stripe, this causes a slight indentation at the bottom stripe location on the top stripe. The stripes have a coat of clear manufactured into the finish. That clear is showing a hairline crack on my car at both locations. :censored:

The Ford Body shop manager has submitted a warranty claim to order the stripes. He said that he subcontracts the striping to a local stripe guy because of the difficulty in installing them.

He said that they will try to only replace the 4 "top" stripes, but he is ordering the bottoms too, in case they don't match or come off clean. He is also ordering the SHELBY letters and faux gas cap emblem too.

My front bumper stripes have a clear bra over them and appear to be holding up fine, but you should look closely at yours. The problem is very hard to see unless you look close. I am afraid it will only get worse.

The pic's are very hard to see the problem, but it is there.

th_stripecrack031.jpg

th_stripecrack008.jpg

th_stripecrack005.jpg

th_stripecrack004.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know the problem. It is dry rotting because it is not exposed to humidity. Take it out and drive it once in a while, instead of putting it in a bubble. :hysterical:

Sorry Grabber. I couldn't resist! Seriously though. I trust you will make the right decisions regarding stripe replacement, etc. Good luck with it.

If my car is doing this....I bet 1000nds are doing it. The hairline crack won't show up untill it fills in with some dirt.....then it will show it's pretty face.

Butttt ,Butttt my car never gets dirty , now what?

If my car is doing this....I bet 1000nds are doing it. The hairline crack won't show up untill it fills in with some dirt.....then it will show it's pretty face.

Grabber I was just ribbing you a bit. The good thing about it is that the stripes are not that difficult to replace. I am suprised that this would come up within a year or two of purchase. The vinyl is high quality vinyl and I bet it is rated for 10 years at least.

Grabber I was just ribbing you a bit. The good thing about it is that the stripes are not that difficult to replace. I am suprised that this would come up within a year or two of purchase. The vinyl is high quality vinyl and I bet it is rated for 10 years at least.

John,

I did not take the ribbing in a negitive way. No biggie.

As to the stripes failing on the back of my car at the indentations....I have no idea why it is happening.

I am looking for some feedback to see if others are having this problem.

All metal and plastic expands when it gets warm. It contracts when it gets cold. This movement in a car is very small, but it does happen. All I can figure is that the joint does not like it. It should of been done in one piece or painted on and I would not be having these problems.

I wonder what these 8 pieces and all the emblems will cost.

My guess is:

Parts - $260

Labor - $246

Total= $506

Im sorry this is happening to your car Grabber, but now you can change the stripes to Tungston :hysterical::hysterical2:

Dont fret to much Rob, Ford will make it good and I hope it wont happen again

michael morris

I know they will.

It will be the 6th warranty item added to my Oasis report.

I love the car and all the repairs have turned out great.....it's just that this is costing Ford a ton of money.

I know they will.

I love the car and all the repairs have turned out great.....it's just that this is costing Ford a ton of money.

It's a real shame you've had so many issues.

Glad many of them are being taken care of during the "off season".

I know they will.

Hey Grabb,

Sorry to hear you are having these problems, as far as costing Ford money, they should have done things right the first time, like transmission, stripes and so on.

I checked mine real close after looking at your pictures. I never found any problems...yet. But like you say, if it's happening to yours, it's definitely not going to be an isolated thing.

All the best with your repairs Bud.

I know they will.

Rob

Might be the cold weather?

Rob

Might be the cold weather?

My shop is unheated and it gets down to 26 or 28 for a couple weeks around here.

I believe the problem is the overlap. Who would of thunk it! :hysterical:

I tend to think there is some trapped air along the overlap. Bad design on the Stripes IMO.

I noticed these seams while I was going over my cars last weekend. They raised a yellow flag. There are no issues yet.

The SAI stripes are much thinner material than the Factory stripes. This might help. Dunno !

The only real solution to the problem is to get the Super Snake conversion at which time SAI will replace the stripes with flat black ones. :hysterical2:

On the contrary....there's always THIS option:

post-2868-1204519930_thumb.jpg

PAINT them on! The vinyl on these cars abosolutely sucks. The bias cuts look like my grandkids did them. They were the first thing to go on my car (with the help of some hoodlums that chucked a piece of asphalt onto my hood from a railroad overpass).

Grabber, who told you there was a clear component to these stripes?

FORD replaced my front hood and bumper stripes as well as the splitter the week I picked it up because the bias-cut overlaps on the front bumper didn't come close to matching up and the hood stripes were off center. The splitter had "trucker rash" from a hambone throwing it on and off the truck. It was FILTHY when it came to the dealership. Rust colored mud everywhere. My car was built 6/27/06, but was in stripe hell for a month over at Mazda. When they finally came back off July 4th hiatus they were WAY behind on striping cars. They were piled up at AAI waiting to be driven down the street for stripes. There were lots of them at that time that looked like crap because they were rushed. My buddy at FoMoCo said they were inundated with calls complaining about them.

Initially, you (or the dealers) couldn't buy separate pieces of the stripe kit. You bought it all or nothing. I have the entire kit that was left over from mine. IF anyone get pieces replaced, look them over VERY carefully. There have been minor color mis-matches from dye-lot to dye-lot. It's the amount of yellow that's in the white.

PAINT em. They made 10,000 of these cars.....any car that's been driven won't be worth more than one paid for it, ever. So mod away kids....it won't matter. Enjoy it to the fullest!!!

bj

BJ,

The Assistant Manager body shop guy the Ford dealership told me that the stripes have some sort of clear in them. He said that he watched a set being pulled off of a car and the stripes had s flaking effect of a bunch of flakes popping off of them as the stripes were pulled off of the car.

I like the idea of painted on stripes. Some day I will have it done. When I do, they will go in Gloss Black.

BJ,

The Assistant Manager body shop guy the Ford dealership told me that the stripes have some sort of clear in them. He said that he watched a set being pulled off of a car and the stripes had s flaking effect of a bunch of flakes popping off of them as the stripes were pulled off of the car.

I like the idea of painted on stripes. Some day I will have it done. When I do, they will go in Gloss Black.

Yeah, it's not "clear" per se, it's a plastic-like coating that theoretically keeps them from discoloring. But yes, it cracks....paricularly in those stress areas. Ya know.....GO looks killer with the black stripes. I saw one here last year. It was a low gloss, too. I didn't get to talk to the guy to see who painted it or how. Obviously flat doesn't work. Too bad, too, 'cause it would be smokin'!!

When I had mine painted on, we actually used a white that Ford had on Econolines for years. Very bright with blue in it rather than yellow. The factory stripes really look dull next to it. I thought it was cool, but some think it's too bright. 10 inches front to back. If I did it again I'd go 10.25 all the way.

bj

Yeah, it's not "clear" per se, it's a plastic-like coating that theoretically keeps them from discoloring. But yes, it cracks....paricularly in those stress areas. Ya know.....GO looks killer with the black stripes. I saw one here last year. It was a low gloss, too. I didn't get to talk to the guy to see who painted it or how. Obviously flat doesn't work. Too bad, too, 'cause it would be smokin'!!

When I had mine painted on, we actually used a white that Ford had on Econolines for years. Very bright with blue in it rather than yellow. The factory stripes really look dull next to it. I thought it was cool, but some think it's too bright. 10 inches front to back. If I did it again I'd go 10.25 all the way.

bj

Did you have the side painted as well? If not, how do they match up with the bright white?

What did it cost to have yours painted?

I had the stripes blister just below that and noticed the cracks when the dealer's stripe guy was replacing them.

So I am not the only one with the stripes cracking. Thanks for speaking up.

I was begining to wonder "Why just my car" !

On the contrary....there's always THIS option:

PAINT them on! The vinyl on these cars abosolutely sucks. The bias cuts look like my grandkids did them. They were the first thing to go on my car (with the help of some hoodlums that chucked a piece of asphalt onto my hood from a railroad overpass).

Grabber, who told you there was a clear component to these stripes?

FORD replaced my front hood and bumper stripes as well as the splitter the week I picked it up because the bias-cut overlaps on the front bumper didn't come close to matching up and the hood stripes were off center. The splitter had "trucker rash" from a hambone throwing it on and off the truck. It was FILTHY when it came to the dealership. Rust colored mud everywhere. My car was built 6/27/06, but was in stripe hell for a month over at Mazda. When they finally came back off July 4th hiatus they were WAY behind on striping cars. They were piled up at AAI waiting to be driven down the street for stripes. There were lots of them at that time that looked like crap because they were rushed. My buddy at FoMoCo said they were inundated with calls complaining about them.

Initially, you (or the dealers) couldn't buy separate pieces of the stripe kit. You bought it all or nothing. I have the entire kit that was left over from mine. IF anyone get pieces replaced, look them over VERY carefully. There have been minor color mis-matches from dye-lot to dye-lot. It's the amount of yellow that's in the white.

PAINT em. They made 10,000 of these cars.....any car that's been driven won't be worth more than one paid for it, ever. So mod away kids....it won't matter. Enjoy it to the fullest!!!

bj

I'll buy one of them hi-resolution crystal balls :hysterical:

Archived