TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Motor Trend: Shelby GT beats Saleen & Roush

Staff

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Shelby GT .vs the Roush .vs the Saleen -- What is missing ?

STEEDA - Motor trend blew it. They had the perfect opportunity to also include a Steeda Q350 in the test, but for some strange reason they did not. What were they afraid of ? Was Shelby paid a favor ??

When I drove a Shelby GT, the suspension left quite a lot to be desired. Just lowering the car does not make it handle....it has to be part of a fully integrated system to be right. The Shelby GT has some Ford Racing parts onit, but if the truth were told, these parts are not the best in the business, they are not designed by Ford, rather they are just a bunch of off the shelf parts that they threw at the car.

As far as resale --- they have made so many of these cars, they never will be worth what you paid for them ----heck, you can buythem now at a discout on dealer lots. Think about it, a Shelby with a rebate !

For me, forget about the Shelby GT, Forget about the Roush, give me a Saleen or a Steeda !!!

Comeon, do you seriously think a steeda will every be as valuable as a Shelby - fuggetabouit!!!! A Saleen may have a better chance because at least it has some similar history...although Mr. Saleen doesn't even work there anymore...

Interesting comparrison and the Shelby is clearly the nicest looking to my eyes.

But I'm a little confised... I thought the Shelby GT was an approx $8,500 upgrade to the M-GT. But this S-GTC is about a $16K upgrade!! Are all the 2008 GOs Shelby GTs made as GT-Cs? And do all carry the bigger sticker?

I really like the 14" rotor and Baer caliper upgrade -- the S-GT needed that. Makes the S-GT that much better, imo, but are all Shelby GT-Cs that way? Does anyone know what else (besides the brakes) are upgraded on the GT-C vs the S-GT? Appreciate the insight...

Dan

Interesting comparrison and the Shelby is clearly the nicest looking to my eyes.

But I'm a little confised... I thought the Shelby GT was an approx $8,500 upgrade to the M-GT. But this S-GTC is about a $16K upgrade!! Are all the 2008 GOs Shelby GTs made as GT-Cs? And do all carry the bigger sticker?

I really like the 14" rotor and Baer caliper upgrade -- the S-GT needed that. Makes the S-GT that much better, imo, but are all Shelby GT-Cs that way? Does anyone know what else (besides the brakes) are upgraded on the GT-C vs the S-GT? Appreciate the insight...

Dan

The 2008 Shelby GT Upgrade is actually about $12K+ more then a Mustang GT. That is once you consider the $2000ish for the required 54U Ford factory option, and then the $8500 MSRP for the Shelby Upgrade plus $1000 gas guzzler tax.

Just as the article says the six piston Shelby/Baer Extreme brake package is $4190 (I think that is installed) and the 20" Razors and tires are $2475. Those are options available throught the mod shop or aftermarket through Shelby Performance Parts. They are not part of the Shelby GT-C package.

The Shelby GT-C(alifornia) are 219 Grabber Orange Shelby GTs that were built for the Southern California Market. The package includes special Shelby GT-C numbered door sills and each has Mr. Shelby's autograph on the passenger visor. The brakes and wheels on the tester car are not part of the package.

The 2008 Shelby GT Upgrade is actually about $12K+ more then a Mustang GT. That is once you consider the $2000ish for the required 54U Ford factory option, and then the $8500 MSRP for the Shelby Upgrade plus $1000 gas guzzler tax.

Just as the article says the six piston Shelby/Baer Extreme brake package is $4190 (I think that is installed) and the 20" Razors and tires are $2475. Those are options available throught the mod shop or aftermarket through Shelby Performance Parts. They are not part of the Shelby GT-C package.

The Shelby GT-C(alifornia) are 219 Grabber Orange Shelby GTs that were built for the Southern California Market. The package includes special Shelby GT-C numbered door sills and each has Mr. Shelby's autograph on the passenger visor. The brakes and wheels on the tester car are not part of the package.

As an owner of #109 GT-C I do agree with ShelbyPilot on his comments.I was told by Shelby Auto's that the first 200 cars of the 2008 year of SGT's built were Grabber Orange for the Cali market. Next in numbers built were the Vista blue coupes and verts. I'm not sure the total build for 2008. Maybe 3300 units?

Thanks ShelbyPilot and Glenn&Steph... so that brake package is an SAI option. That makes sense... wasn't clear from the article if FoMoCo or SAI ...and is independent of the S-GT-Cali (i.e. can order on any S-GT). I think I've got it now ;-) thanks...

Dan

The Q350 is a decent car, but the SGT still beats it.

#1 It's not a sweet-looking, black, limited edition Shelby :)

#2 it's $5000 more. For that price you can put on a /SC and dust the Q350.

:bowdown:

Amen Brother!!! :happy feet:

Nice write up...

Why did they use an SGT-C?

"C stands for California"??? does that mean it has more exhaust restriction thereby producing only 319 HP?

I thought the garden variety SGT produced 325HP????

I prefer the rear spoiler left on. If your gonna have a fake hood scoop why diss the rear spoiler???

I love the Shelby's but that orange is butt-ugly !!! reminds me of the 69 Boss 302 I spanked back in 1972ish.

I dont see the Saleen or Rousch ever having the prestige of a real Shelby..But lets admit it guys...theres a lot of cool looking but do nothing fluff (ie hood scoop) that comes with these cars.

I dunno why they have to make one to try to please everybody?

I wish shelby would make the GT like in the 60's

-rear seat delete

-roll bar

-heated seats delete

and for God sakes split the CAI & route the air intakes to functional / aesthetic /symmetrical hood scoops

-Leave the fog lights in the grill

-ditch the climate control

-radio delete what can possibly sound better than a small block Ford under power !!

btw for those who take issue with the boss spanking...I was driving a 1967 Sting Ray vert 327-370 HP -at 128-130 mph the little boss was weezing & ran outa steam then dissappeared in my mirror............

Well, you sure know how to make friends when you first join a forum :doh: ;-)

Welsome, Mike ... now take a deep breath and enjoy all the good folks and great cars here, ok ;)

Dan

Thanks for the welcome Dan

Yes, Im a bit of a smartass. I love a heated discussion about the cars we are passionate about.

I had several Vettes & only two mustangs. But I was the kid at the dealership kicking the tires on the Shelby mustangs in the 60's before I could drive.

The 427 Cobra, GT 350, GT 500 GT40 have been at the top of my lust list ever since the late sixties. Admittedly I had a brief affair with a 1970 dodge Challenger after seeing the first Vanishing Point It didnt take much of having the rattling body panels being louder than the exhaust to get me out of the Mopar world....

Doesnt anyone agree Shelby out to offer a stripped down SGT/SC with just an a/c & pwr windows but with functional scoops???

THAT WOULD be the street racer / driver to drool over. Or do we all have to have mp3 players, heated seats & boy racer cars that wipe our behinds for us???

...........just thinkin outloud......

C6_Z55_MB.jpg

Yeah, I think there are a lot of curve-carvers who want a serious road car.

I think part of theproblem, realistically, has been having the right base to work off so such an up(down?)-fit is cost effective (just my feeling). That why I think we'll see a serious GT350 soon -- after Ford gears-up for the BOSS ('10MY in spring '09?) since that would be an excellent platform for Shelby to make into a bonafide streetracer with a minimum of wasted effort/expense. At least that's how I think it's going to play out.

That timing will also work very nicely with a revitalized TransAm redux with competition, but who knows?

When I was a kid growing up in NYC (legenday Connecting Highway streetracing area or Queens) my first new car was my '68 S-code, but for years before I could not get enough to read on the eploits of the Cobras and GT40s, etc... what a great time to grow up!

Hope you stick around -- this is a truly great site with good and knowledgeable folks ...hope you enjoy!

Dan

Without taking offense to your post I'll answer some of your questions:

Nice write up...

Why did they use an SGT-C?

Yes it is for California, the 219 GO cars were built for Southern California.

"C stands for California"??? does that mean it has more exhaust restriction thereby producing only 319 HP? I thought the garden variety SGT produced 325HP????

No there are no extra exhaust restrictions. All Shelby GTs rate at 319. The GT-Hs which are aftermarket cars were given a rating of 355 but that wasn't tested. Although the 319 is the offical rating, many owners have dynoed their cars and found them closer to 325-330.

I prefer the rear spoiler left on. If your gonna have a fake hood scoop why diss the rear spoiler???

Your opinion and you are welcome to it. Many of us consider the Shelby GT the closest thing to a 1966 GT-350. Which did have a functional scoop but also didn't have a spoiler. It is also the second most common compliment I get on individual aspects of my car. The wheels are first.

I love the Shelby's but that orange is butt-ugly !!!

Again, you are welcome to your opinion. I don't quite agree with the severity of your dislike but I am not a fan of the GO either. However, alot of people do like the color, including the president of Shelby Autos. She has a Grabber Orange GT500 Super Snake and a Grabber Orange Shelby GT.

I wish shelby would make the GT like in the 60's

-rear seat delete There are kits for that, I for one like the seat to take my son for memorable rides.

-roll bar Cost prohibitive and would have required costly crash testing if meant to be anything other then decorative.

-heated seats delete Heated seats are not standard. They are an option.

-and for God sakes split the CAI & route the air intakes to functional / aesthetic /symmetrical hood scoops. Cost and design prohibitive.

The throttle body is closer to the front of the engine bay then the rear or where an air filter topped carb would have been. Actual routing under the hood from a funtional scoop would have required completely diferent hood or a Shaker. The routing would have deleted at least the strut tower brace if possible at all. Either way, the cost of any option would have pushed the Shelby GT closer in MSRP to the GT500 and many think it is too close already.

-Leave the fog lights in the grill. You are welcome to your opinion. The Grill on the Shelby GT relies heavily on it's 1966 Shelby GT350 heritage that has a very similar grill without lights.

-ditch the climate control. This is a road car not a race car. There are kits at Summit and elsewhere that will allow YOU to remove the A/C. I enjoy the A/C when it is 100 degrees.

-radio delete. What can possibly sound better than a small block Ford under power !! See above, The exhaust note is great under acceleration but I enjoy my commercial free Sirius radio while cruising on the freeway.

Finally, I may need a ruling from Grabber but I believe that the 10 post rule for newbies has been waived by your antaganistic post. So lose the '70s perm and get a shave Grizzly Adams. :hysterical:

Just Kidding, welcome aboard.

Without taking offense to your post I'll answer some of your questions:

Finally, I may need a ruling from Grabber but I believe that the 10 post rule for newbies has been waived by your antaganistic post. So lose the '70s perm and get a shave Grizzly Adams. :hysterical:

Just Kidding, welcome aboard.

Hey Mike, Welcome. You sure had alot to say. Posting a pic of you and the vette sure set you up for a tough ride on these boards. I own two Shelby GT's. One is the GO and I dig the color. Not sure why you came on with an attitude but maybe it has something to do with that vette. Who really cares! JK

Holy Cow!Now there is a man that can get things stirred up!I hope that you find a car that turns you on!You can always make a few changes after you purchase as many here have done.The Shelby GT is as close as any have come to the original GT350 as of RIGHT NOW.As far as cars in the test it looks the part more than any of them,To me.It has less fluff and bling by far.It was the only real choice to win!BTW I have a BULLITT now and not everyone likes it!That's OK with me as I buy cars to impress myself not the clown in the next lane!

Thanks to all for the welcome.

Now I feel guilty about the jab at my dislike for the Orange color.. Its wild but i'll squelch my opinion on color for now...

The four most beautiful cars (body styles) ever designed are the

68 -73 StingRay

66 Shelby Cobra 427

66 Ford GT40 Shelby /Pete Brock

71-72 Ferrarri Daytona 365

As you can see, two of these are Shelby products.. beleive me , I'm not just a corvette guy trying to stir up trouble. Although I do like a spirited debate..Point is there's no bigger fan of Shelby's auto lineage than myself...

Many Shelby mustang purists favor the 66 with no a/c ..An add on dash pod with xtra guages..no rear seat.. no radio ( see Jay Lenos Garage )...

I like them ALL with the 67-68 being my favorite . The 69-70, although arguably the prettiest body was beginning to become fatter weightier & overall more of a touring car with sporty looks and less performance.

The new S197 body lends itself to the 67-68 in my minds eye I see the SGT sharing the traits of those years..stretched front facia w driving lamps in grill double hood scoops ( but in the case of throttle body & strut tower. hell, use a shaker hood)

the fin/spoiler on the rear with the thunderbird taillights distinguished it from the secretary's mustang..

I'm thinkin of putting the vette on the market this spring & getting another Vette or Shelby. I'm on this board as a fan & also research. My next car , GM OR Ford will be more factory warrantied GO & less optional fluff, such as 6 way power seats etc. That plays into what Shelby automotive is all about-specially in the 60's

66_2.jpg

post-12796-1206283424_thumb.jpg

post-12796-1206283424_thumb.jpg

I appreciate you wanting a functional hood scoop. So did many others. As you can see I elected the CS hood. I did that because I am not a fan of non functional stuff. However, I take the non-functional side scoops and even the non-functional induction styling of the CS hood with the rest of the package. I think what many people miss is that it was just not feasible for Shelby Autos to make the Shelby GT with a functional hood scoop. The car went from concept to production in 100 days. A functional hood scoop, shaker or ducting, would have required more time and more money. As I posted earlier these cars are already to close in MSRP to the GT500. Tooling or production of a functional hood scoop would have made the two cars just about the same MSRP. In hind sight, I am willing to bet Shelby Autos wishes they left the scoop off all together or used the GT appearance package hood instead. That is because of the gapping issue not the non-function.

I appreciate you wanting a functional hood scoop. So did many others. As you can see I elected the CS hood. I did that because I am not a fan of non functional stuff. However, I take the non-functional side scoops and even the non-functional induction styling of the CS hood with the rest of the package. I think what many people miss is that it was just not feasible for Shelby Autos to make the Shelby GT with a functional hood scoop. The car went from concept to production in 100 days. A functional hood scoop, shaker or ducting, would have required more time and more money. As I posted earlier these cars are already to close in MSRP to the GT500. Tooling or production of a functional hood scoop would have made the two cars just about the same MSRP. In hind sight, I am willing to bet Shelby Autos wishes they left the scoop off all together or used the GT appearance package hood instead. That is because of the gapping issue not the non-function.

ShelbyPilot is kickin some tail today. Here comes the Air Force!

Shelbypilot

Your car is absolutely perfect

. I agree, the side (rear brake vents) are mandatory functional or not.

Also, I dig your aftermarket hood selection

I read & believe that your car with the SC is lighter & has batter weight distribution than the coveted GT500.

You have found the perfect blend of show & real GO! Provided the engine internals can withstand the stress the Paxton puts on the motor.

I'm not anti slots & scoops that look great in fact I would install a rear qtr window scoop like the "eleanore" 68

You guys can correct me but I think the track Shelbys rear window had a gap at the top so air could flow thru the car as well - prolly just for driver comfort. I would then asume the old rear qtr window scoop was functional as the brake scoop most certainly was....

Re Shelby slapping old stock cobra scoops on.. that actually add drag. Why dont they just farm out an aftermarket lightweight hood supplier w/ a functional scoop(s) as an option & offer a hood delete???

post-12796-1206301898_thumb.jpg

post-12796-1206301898_thumb.jpg

It's not like it used to be. Life is soooo complex now. Heck, just getting gear choices from the factory would likely require EPA recertification and and a slot into a diff GG-tax category.

If you wanted the factory to ship a hood-delete car these days, the logistics system would likely have to be re-programmed to reflect the option/build, additional build-delete procedures put in place (really), the car would likely have to ship with something covering the engine anyway to protect it from the elements, and I wouldn't be surprised if it had to be crash-tested/certed in that hoodless configuration just for laughs :hysterical2: dunno, but life is sooo complex now. ;)

The SGT ships with the rivet-holes already in the GT hood so the scoop can be added easily by SAI. Ford could not even provide the SGT gearset, and a gear-swap at SAI was labor-prohibitive, so the whole axle assembly was swapped, I believe. :doh: Life is soooo complex now. :)

Not like '68 with a 1.6 zillion gearset/tranny/engine combos, voluntary crash-testing, air-pump injection emissions, etc... Life is soooo complex now :hysterical: ;-)

Archived