TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2008 GT 500 Exhaust Mod

BigBlockFord

What have people been using for exhaust/muffler modifications? Would like better tone, but don't want to change out the entire system. :shift:

Thanks

I just bought the borla stingers for mine... People say the are aggressive, but after my 04's Cobra's headers back exaust+ magnaFlow mufflers I don't think it'll be bad at all + I like to hear what I'm driving....(was very LOUD).. These cars are a snap to change the axle back muffler/tail pipe. I suggest doing a search you will find a ton of info. Even try you tube to sample the sounds if you like. But most of all do your home work and search around for the best price they can very greatly between vendors...

Enjoy!!

After reading many posts and listening to as many sound clips as I could find, I ordered the Ford 5GT axle backs. As car is in winter storage have not installed as yet. Never heard one in person, just hoping I'll like these and they won't be too loud, just enough.

After reading many posts and listening to as many sound clips as I could find, I ordered the Ford 5GT axle backs. As car is in winter storage have not installed as yet. Never heard one in person, just hoping I'll like these and they won't be too loud, just enough.

I believe the 5GT's were originally made for the 4.6 Mustang GT, they will work with the GT500 but I have read that they have a decent drone. The SGT's were designed to be used with the 5.4 GT500 motor, pretty loud but less drone. Then there are the SVT's which are 50 state legal and not much louder than the stock GT500 exhaust.

I believe the 5GT's were originally made for the 4.6 Mustang GT, they will work with the GT500 but I have read that they have a decent drone. The SGT's were designed to be used with the 5.4 GT500 motor, pretty loud but less drone. Then there are the SVT's which are 50 state legal and not much louder than the stock GT500 exhaust.

Who is the manufacturer?

SLP axle backs! I could not be happier. It is all a matter of opinion. However, I feel the SLP's give the GT500 a very impressive muscle car growl. I have heard all the popular axle back systems & went with the SLP's.

Regards, Dave

OK, I've searched Youtube and listened to various axle back setups. They sound impressive, but how many of us have been ticketed for "disturbing the peace"? :rant:

Checked the Borla site, nothing listed for an '08 Shelby. What are we talking for price for the axle backs?

OK, I've searched Youtube and listened to various axle back setups. They sound impressive, but how many of us have been ticketed for "disturbing the peace"? :rant:

Checked the Borla site, nothing listed for an '08 Shelby. What are we talking for price for the axle backs?

Evo has the various models between $450 and $685

I also have the Borla Stingers and couldn't be happier. I had them on my '06 Mustang GT without cats.

The sound on the GT500 with them (and cats included) is close to the sound of the Mustang GT with them without cats.

The borla site is not going to show the stingers by themself for the GT500, but it is the exact muffler used for the Mustang GT. That is what I am running now, and it fits and sounds great - definately a muscle car sound. (and yes you can still hear that sweet sound of the supercharger when engaged).

Interestingly, I think Borla shows this same muffler with the combined header back system as available for the GT500, but not the mufflers by themself ?

Lots of better sounding mufflers out there than the stock ones we got with our cars.

I also have the Borla Stingers and couldn't be happier. I had them on my '06 Mustang GT without cats.

The sound on the GT500 with them (and cats included) is close to the sound of the Mustang GT with them without cats.

The borla site is not going to show the stingers by themself for the GT500, but it is the exact muffler used for the Mustang GT. That is what I am running now, and it fits and sounds great - definately a muscle car sound. (and yes you can still hear that sweet sound of the supercharger when engaged).

Interestingly, I think Borla shows this same muffler with the combined header back system as available for the GT500, but not the mufflers by themself ?

Lots of better sounding mufflers out there than the stock ones we got with our cars.

I believe these are the same as the Ford 5GT?

I believe these are the same as the Ford 5GT?

Correct, Borla Stingers are identical aside from branding to FRPP P/N M-5230-5GT.

Personally I'm torn between the FRPP SGT and 5GT models. I'm going to have to make my decision by the end of March. As it stands now I'm leaning towards the 5GT's (Borla Stingers).

I've got the FRPP GTA's and love em. They are OEM on the 07 Shelby GT, but work fine on the GT500. Ninosport has them for $279.95. They sound good, not overly loud, and very little drone.

• 2 months later...
What have people been using for exhaust/muffler modifications? Would like better tone, but don't want to change out the entire system. :shift:

Thanks

I installed the Bassani Axle back race mufflers...........nice sound, look and not much drone. Installed in about an hour.

I have the 5GT's and i payed $350 for them. I think they sound awesome. I installed them myself and it was easy, however I did take them to a muffler shop to have them adjusted to sit just right.

5GTs are the louder FRPP version right? I'm looking into those.

Where did you get these for 350? Sounds like the cheapest price I've heard on them so far...

Thanks

I love the sound of Flow Masters. I run them on my 1968 Dodge Charger RT and they sould great. So,,,Yesterday,,,, We cut the stock mufflers off the OE Axial Back pipes and then cut the OE exhaust tips off the OE mufflers. We welded the Flow Master 40s to the OE Axial Back pipes, fabricated hangers to work with the OE hanger points and welded the OE exhaust tips to the Flow Master 40s.

The results are a great sounding car that looks like it has the OE exhaust.

You noticed that I kept using the term we.. The truth is that a little shop in McCleary Washington did all of this and I am out only $240 parts and labor. This guy did a lot of work and basically created an axial back Flow Master exhaust system. He builds custom exhaust systems from scratch if that is what you want. He said that our GT 500 OE exhaust is pretty cool except for the mufflers.

I live about 80 miles from DJ's Custom Exhaust but it was worth the nice drive even in the rain. His name is DJ Blaylock. He is an old hippy like me and does great work for not so much money. His card says "I'm Cheap, I'm Good, I'm fast" and that is exactly true in my experience.

I may be the only one here with Flow Master but my sound is as good as anyones. I don't know if I have more power or not but my car tries to get away from me from time to time the way it is so I don't really care if I have more power.

I love the sound of Flow Masters. I run them on my 1968 Dodge Charger RT and they sould great. So,,,Yesterday,,,, We cut the stock mufflers off the OE Axial Back pipes and then cut the OE exhaust tips off the OE mufflers. We welded the Flow Master 40s to the OE Axial Back pipes, fabricated hangers to work with the OE hanger points and welded the OE exhaust tips to the Flow Master 40s.

The results are a great sounding car that looks like it has the OE exhaust.

You noticed that I kept using the term we.. The truth is that a little shop in McCleary Washington did all of this and I am out only $240 parts and labor. This guy did a lot of work and basically created an axial back Flow Master exhaust system. He builds custom exhaust systems from scratch if that is what you want. He said that our GT 500 OE exhaust is pretty cool except for the mufflers.

I live about 80 miles from DJ's Custom Exhaust but it was worth the nice drive even in the rain. His name is DJ Blaylock. He is an old hippy like me and does great work for not so much money. His card says "I'm Cheap, I'm Good, I'm fast" and that is exactly true in my experience.

I may be the only one here with Flow Master but my sound is as good as anyones. I don't know if I have more power or not but my car tries to get away from me from time to time the way it is so I don't really care if I have more power.

Went with SLP proforms. Sound good.

Went with SLP proforms. Sound good.

I went with the MRT Aero Turbine axle-back and their catted H-pipes. There is some drone at 2Krpms but the sound is deep and crisp. I'm an older guy and I'm not sure the crispness of it is what I want. Reminds me alot of Bassani. I may just pick up another and go with the SGTs.

If you like the sound of the KR, it has the SVT1's made for the GT500 as an upgrade. That is what I would go for, unless you want to rattle windows.

Archived