TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT Upgrade Proposals

ShelbyPilot

Amy, has told us that SAI is working on an upgrade package for the Shelby GT. Some ideas have floated around about a Terlingua type package. Somebody also beat me to the punch a little with his Super Shelby GT idea. I want to try a thread where anybody who is interested can write down their ideas of what a Shelby GT upgrade package should consist of and have it in one place. Try to give a complete proposal. Performace upgrades, styling changes, expected cost. Consider being reasonable and realistic in your ideas and cost. Consider the packages and changes that come with 40th Anniversary, Super Snake, CS and Terlingua cars. If you have an idea name give it to us also.

I have to take the family to lunch and shopping. I'll post my idea later this afternoon. Have fun.

ROMANCER's Shelby Super GT idea:

Shelby Super GT

It could consist of a different stripe package (Maybe one fat stripe like the SS., I love that look!). The black cars get get one large white or flat black stripe and the white can get BLUE (!!) or black.

CS6 or Super Snake Hood

GT500 wheel

FI: Supercharger or Turbocharger (yes, I said turbocharger).

GT500 spoiler (PLEASE not the V6 spoiler)

450-510hp

Stiffer (but not OVERLY stiff) suspension components.

Big brakes, 20 inch wheels.

Gauge cluster on dash (like the GT/SC)

Numer would be SSGT####

Super GT Badging (along the rocker panels)

I gotta jet, guys, but please feel feel to add your own opinions. I don't think there could be a better name to suit a super Shelby GT other than, well, Super Shelby GT! I'll chime in later. I'd like to get more in depth but I have a meeting to catch! Yes, I'd buy.

God Bless,

Jeff

I like that as a start, but I would change a few things

Keep the same size stripes and I do like the Idea of the blue on white

A hood thats the same as ours, but with a metal functional scoop

20" wheels and tires

brake upgrade

gauge cluster

lower grill with brake ducts and lights

New gas cap and steering wheel cap

GT/SC side stripe or maybe even GT350 Badges..........

Whipple or Paxton S/C with a strut tower brace

as far as price for all this goes I'd say 12-15K I'm not up on how much all this stuff is.

I think you have to start with a supercharger. Next up, perhaps some upgraded brakes, but maybe something that will work with our stock 18's. Top it by losing our stock hood scoop by upgrading to a nice-looking functional design with a nice rear spoikler ala GT500. Finish the look with some classy badging, perhaps a small emblem in the grill to replace the pony, and new lower stripes and rear "gas cap"...

Here is my proposal:

Engine:

25 HP increase for naturally aspirated cars (how to get that I don't know)

JBA Headers, 50 State legal but off road option for those that don't live in the green states

Optional super charger

Brakes:

Shelby Extreme-Plus Brake System (choice of colors)

Front and Rear Brake Ducts

Suspension:

Sway Bar End Links (Street)

Adjustable Rear Upper and Lower Control Arms

Adjustable Pan Hard Bar or a Watts Link

Wheels:

18" X 9.5" wheels that fit over the brakes. Lightweight if possible. There are many more options of competition tires for the 18" wheels.

Staggered Tires ala GT500

Appearance:

Functional Hood and Scoop assembly that matches the original Shelby GT hood

Lower Grill (choice of finish) & driving lights

Keep the dual Le Mans Stripes but in flat black (OK, I admit this would look better on the black cars and I may do this if I ever have to replace the stripes)

Billet Hood pins

Shelby Billet Aluminum Strut Tower Brace (delete with Whipple Supercharger option)

Badging:

An add on placque for under the dash placque with the upgrade name an sequence number

Door Sills with the upgrade name and sequence number.

Unique Faux gas cap

What to call it, I don't know. I think adding something from Shelby Heritage might be good or some adjective that is cool but hasn't been done to death.

Here is my proposal:

Engine:

25 HP increase for naturally aspirated cars (how to get that I don't know)

JBA Headers, 50 State legal but off road option for those that don't live in the green states

Optional super charger

Brakes:

Shelby Extreme-Plus Brake System (choice of colors)

Front and Rear Brake Ducts

Suspension:

Sway Bar End Links (Street)

Adjustable Rear Upper and Lower Control Arms

Adjustable Pan Hard Bar or a Watts Link

Wheels:

18" X 9.5" wheels that fit over the brakes. Lightweight if possible. There are many more options of competition tires for the 18" wheels.

Staggered Tires ala GT500

Appearance:

Functional Hood and Scoop assembly that matches the original Shelby GT hood

Lower Grill (choice of finish) & driving lights

Keep the dual Le Mans Stripes but in flat black (OK, I admit this would look better on the black cars and I may do this if I ever have to replace the stripes)

Billet Hood pins

Shelby Billet Aluminum Strut Tower Brace (delete with Whipple Supercharger option)

Badging:

An add on placque for under the dash placque with the upgrade name an sequence number

Door Sills with the upgrade name and sequence number.

Unique Faux gas cap

What to call it, I don't know. I think adding something from Shelby Heritage might be good or some adjective that is cool but hasn't been done to death.

OK QUESTION, Realistically how many will actually want to have their car shipped back (not sure cost) to sai for this and wait how long?

OK QUESTION, Realistically how many will actually want to have their car shipped back (not sure cost) to sai for this and wait how long?

It would be better then the waiting I had to do for the mod shop the first time. At least you can enjoy your car until they call. I would hope they would have a system that would allow you to send the car when they are ready for it. Not just sending your car to wait in line.

It would be better then the waiting I had to do for the mod shop the first time. At least you can enjoy your car until they call. I would hope they would have a system that would allow you to send the car when they are ready for it. Not just sending your car to wait in line.

Shoot, some of us '08 SGT guys are waiting for the (S/C) call right now!

I am VERY interested in an upgrade package but concerned all of the money I spent already might have to be respent if the changes are really drastic. I like the improved brakes, S/C, and badging. I think the spoiler should be an option on the upgrade package. The main thing is to give it a little more omph (technical term) and special badging.

I have had a vision for my car since the new body style came out. The only limiting factor is money for me right now, much like many of us. That said, I would find a way for my check from Uncle Sam to pay for an upgrade package but I also hope that many of us that did get the S/C and extra goodies don't have to change a lot for a limited package. It should offer a choice of S/C, wheels etc. That keeps it special with badging and stuff but also the uniqueness of a Shelby GT being different from other Shelby GTs. One of the BIG draws for why I choose the car in the first place.

And I am back after a long while....have to catch up on a ton of reading guys! You didn't slow down at all while I was gone.

:superhero:

I like the idea of an upgrade package, but I would like to see some options to make our cars even more unique. Offer one package with a supercharger and the other one without...both with options as to what components you want upgraded and reflected prices for each option. Yeah I like to have my cake and eat it too. :)

Not to be an idiot, but answer me this why would you not just modify your cars on your own through the mod shop (or somewhere else) as it is, do we really need a special sticker to tell the world? It seems like various people have done these things already. Do we really need another package car? Seems redundant to me. Anybody else think so or am I just too cynical?

Not to be an idiot, but answer me this why would you not just modify your cars on your own through the mod shop (or somewhere else) as it is, do we really need a special sticker to tell the world? It seems like various people have done these things already. Do we really need another package car? Seems redundant to me. Anybody else think so or am I just too cynical?

Of course, you can do whatever you want; I think, however, what some people are looking for is an "official" Shelby package, which would be installed by SAI and in this way the car upgrades would be recognized on the Shelby Registry. If you self-modify your Shelby it won't have that recognition and you car won't still be 100% true Shelby. It's just a matter of personal choice.

+1 Totally agree.

I like the uniqueness of the Shelby GT badging. The best upgrade would be to call it Shelby GT/SC! We already can have SAI modify a "base" SGT with larger wheels/tires, SC, big brakes, hoods etc and stil retain the SGT pedigree. Look at ShelbyPilots ride! Saaaweeeet!

IMHO, I say leave the SGT alone. If there is a package available as a whole like the KR or SS pkg, I think that should go on a different Shelby. (Maybe the GT350 etc...)

The looks and start of a new legend (SGT) should stand proudly on its own ala the recent Shelby, Roush and Saleen comparison!

Just my .02

Dan

My thoughts......only thoughts

I currently have all that I would want on an upgraded Shelby GT. The question would be what other items would it include

- One piece driveshaft

- Throatier exhaust and a true X or H pipe

- Unique badging (only if it would come to pass as a special package) that would be a replacement engine and dash designation) Faux gas cap and steering wheel emblem

- Leave all of the striping alone but "Shelby GT/SS" (keeping it simple)

- Embroidered console cover and headrest covers

- GT500 steering wheel

- rear suspension upgrades, upper, lower, adjustable panhard bars and control arms and front swaybar end links.

- Love the idea of a watts link set up.

- Gauge package upgrade

- Would love a rear seat delete option W or W/O a roll bar

- Hood pin upgrade

That being said, I do have the whipple HO, Exteme brakes, brake ducts, upper and lower grills, 20" wheels and BFG comp TA's, gauge package, complete catback and tru X and CS6 hood. Out of all of this I would only look at other alternitaves in hoods. I need something on the line of an air extractor.

When you read this.............you can have most of this done yourself.

+1 Totally agree.

I like the uniqueness of the Shelby GT badging. The best upgrade would be to call it Shelby GT/SC! We already can have SAI modify a "base" SGT with larger wheels/tires, SC, big brakes, hoods etc and stil retain the SGT pedigree. Look at ShelbyPilots ride! Saaaweeeet!

IMHO, I say leave the SGT alone. If there is a package available as a whole like the KR or SS pkg, I think that should go on a different Shelby. (Maybe the GT350 etc...)

The looks and start of a new legend (SGT) should stand proudly on its own ala the recent Shelby, Roush and Saleen comparison!

Just my .02

Dan

Dan,

I'll have to agree with you guys on this. I really like the modding part of owning my Shelby GT. I like the idea of putting my personal touch on my car. It makes me feel good to make it my own. Some don't agree on this and that is perfectly fine but I don't think that I would want to put another 10K to 15K into a SSGT package. That would take my car to a whole other price point and then I would most likely sell it and buy a GT500 and mod that. I'm sorry but if you look at the past most Shelby's were modded or raced or other. Why do you think that Shelby has such an extensive list of mods for our cars. It makes them money and keeps them in business. I for one am not going to give up driving my car for many months for a package. I would rather see Shelby keep making more mods for the cars that we could do or have done and then we could keep on enjoying our cars while keeping and others in business.

Dan,

I'll have to agree with you guys on this. I really like the modding part of owning my Shelby GT. I like the idea of putting my personal touch on my car. It makes me feel good to make it my own. Some don't agree on this and that is perfectly fine but I don't think that I would want to put another 10K to 15K into a SSGT package. That would take my car to a whole other price point and then I would most likely sell it and buy a GT500 and mod that. I'm sorry but if you look at the past most Shelby's were modded or raced or other. Why do you think that Shelby has such an extensive list of mods for our cars. It makes them money and keeps them in business. I for one am not going to give up driving my car for many months for a package. I would rather see Shelby keep making more mods for the cars that we could do or have done and then we could keep on enjoying our cars while keeping and others in business.

I understand that most of what we want can be done now, but the majority of us bought our cars off a dealer's lot, without knowing about the mod shop. I think the goal of this package is just a way for us to get what some have done, and most want to, in a packaged and hopefully cheaper deal. I really don't think it'll be anything truly specific. All I really want is a S/C of my choice and breaks for the stock wheels, and at a deal since it's a packaged thing. I doubt we'll see any new badges in this.

I like the idea of an upgrade package, but I would like to see some options to make our cars even more unique. Offer one package with a supercharger and the other one without...both with options as to what components you want upgraded and reflected prices for each option. Yeah I like to have my cake and eat it too. :)

I like a combo of the ideas-this one makes a lot of sense also. I personally didn't want the supercharger-I like the naturally aspirated car. Maybe the upgraded package could be some combo of all listed:

I like the idea of upgraded brakes with the stock wheels. Maybe there should be a a S/C package that adds a different pulley/more aggressive tune to bump HP and perhaps the naturally aspirated package should be cams/headers/more aggressive tune to bump HP. Definitely, can't forget the faux gas cap!! Suspension mods are great for you guys who have facilities close by for auto cross, those of us who don't, I think if we had a watts link for the rear to get it centered and keep it there, that would be sufficient for us. Need to have the better hood pins like the 08's, the billet Shelby strut tower brace, and how about a exterior color matching powder coated intake elbow with the Shelby logo on it.

and I forgot-make the hood scoop functional and crease/lift proof.

I like a combo of the ideas-this one makes a lot of sense also. I personally didn't want the supercharger-I like the naturally aspirated car. Maybe the upgraded package could be some combo of all listed:

I like the idea of upgraded brakes with the stock wheels. Maybe there should be a a S/C package that adds a different pulley/more aggressive tune to bump HP and perhaps the naturally aspirated package should be cams/headers/more aggressive tune to bump HP. Definitely, can't forget the faux gas cap!! Suspension mods are great for you guys who have facilities close by for auto cross, those of us who don't, I think if we had a watts link for the rear to get it centered and keep it there, that would be sufficient for us. Need to have the better hood pins like the 08's, the billet Shelby strut tower brace, and how about a exterior color matching powder coated intake elbow with the Shelby logo on it.

and I forgot-make the hood scoop functional and crease/lift proof.

white/blue stripes/super charged/hood-scoop that does not warp and functions as god intended/this i will buy..if i get silver stripes forced upon myself with no stripe delete option i will buy a toyota... thats what i would like..it is as shelby intended since day 1..i see no reason to deviate from what once was perfect harmony (aka good karma)...

white/blue stripes/super charged/hood-scoop that does not warp and functions as god intended/this i will buy..if i get silver stripes forced upon myself with no stripe delete option i will buy a toyota... thats what i would like..it is as shelby intended since day 1..i see no reason to deviate from what once was perfect harmony (aka good karma)...

On a different thread, I had posted a suggestion for an SGT package

once Amy brought the subject up (this was in response to a Terlingua

version of the SGT which is "in consideration"). My proposal was for

an R version (just like back in 1965) with the following mods:

Lightweight functional hood to clear shock tower brace or supercharger

Battery relocation to trunk

Lightweight wheels

Shelby/Baer big brake kit

Front/rear brake cooling ducts

Performance full-headers with hi-flow cats

Performance suspension kit

Aluminum single-piece driveshaft with safety loops

Lightweight racing seats

Rear seat delete

The new hood is key for the S/C to be an option to the package. Heck,

if they can get a scoop to draw cool air into the compartment, that

would be a bonus. If they manage to do it without the current scoop

problems, that could be the real solution everyone is asking for, at

least for the surviving SGTs that haven't hit a tree or rolled over yet

(yes, Jeff... the current scoop is doing just fine in safety tests).

I'm with bull in that I dying to see blue stripes return on a white SGT,

but not holding my breath. I deliberately left out any exterior mods,

because as this thread has proved, there are many tastes out there.

However, something simple like a red R to add on the side stripes or

a unique Shelby GT R faux gas cap to avoid clones would do nicely

IMHO.

-Tom

• 1 month later...

If there were a modestly priced (or staggered menu of items) upgrade that offered the following, I'd be interested, as long as the upgrade were offered by SAI or one of its authorized affiliates to keep it all "pure shelby":

Special SGT steering wheel/hub

Functional hood scoop (could they modify existing scoops/hoods to do this?)

Upgraded brakes & painted shoes

Subtle tinted windshield trim @ the top with some sort of "Shelby" badging in non-ostentatious appearance

But honestly, no need to do anything to these awesome cars - just some ideas.

We already had this discussion I think a year ago...have to look.

My only please don't items:

PLEASE NO Terlingua car stuff!

PLEASE NO GT500 spoiler!

Other than that I'll consider all....as long as it doesn't ruin what makes this car beautiful.

Archived