TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT should bring GT500 prices down quickly...

Joe

After all, the Shelby GT (starting at $27k according to USA Today) is to be made at the Shelby facility in Las Vegas and has the official Shelby plate on the dash, unlike the GT500 which rolls off a Mustang line in Michigan, thus may have even more "collector cachet" as well as being a better handling car minus all that extra weight. I'll wait and see on the Shelby GT, but now I'm glad I did not bite the ADM price to have scored a GT500. If I had, I'd be worried about the hit I was going to take.

After all, the Shelby GT (starting at $27k according to USA Today) is to be made at the Shelby facility in Las Vegas and has the official Shelby plate on the dash, unlike the GT500 which rolls off a Mustang line in Michigan, thus may have even more "collector cachet" as well as being a better handling car minus all that extra weight. I'll wait and see on the Shelby GT, but now I'm glad I did not bite the ADM price to have scored a GT500. If I had, I'd be worried about the hit I was going to take.

Better yet how bout the guy who paid the big amount for the GT-H they auctioned. I emagine if you put a KB Blower on the Shelby GT it would blow away a GT500 too. So even more bang for your buck and if they keep the production less than the 500 it might be worth more in the long run. I still think they could have gotten a bit more HP and called it the GT350 but another Shelby is good and if it causes the ADM to go away faster even better.

Where did anyone say it would be produced at Shebly and not on the ford line. This is just a mustang GT with the ford Power packes and handling packs. And i bet will be massed produces just like the CS

If you go to www.svtperformance.com and go to the forums, GT500 section, new Shelby thread, you will see a post by Amy Boylan who is president of Shelby Autos and she confirms that the Shelby GT will be done at the Las Vegas Shelby facility just as the GT-H was done. She states it is not just a GT with add-ons, but a true Shelby almost identical to the GT-H vehicle.

Guest evilchris

If you go to www.svtperformance.com and go to the forums, GT500 section, new Shelby thread, you will see a post by Amy Boylan who is president of Shelby Autos and she confirms that the Shelby GT will be done at the Las Vegas Shelby facility just as the GT-H was done. She states it is not just a GT with add-ons, but a true Shelby almost identical to the GT-H vehicle.

The GT-H is a GT with addons. =)

FRPP Handling package

FRPP Power Package

Cervini's Grille

Ford C/S Front bumper cover

Ford C/S side scoops

Shelby CS-6 hood

The GT-H is a GT with addons. =)

FRPP Handling package

FRPP Power Package

Cervini's Grille

Ford C/S Front bumper cover

Ford C/S side scoops

Shelby CS-6 hood

This is not true. In the words of Casey Stengal, "You can look it up." They are not C/S parts. To say the GT-H is a GT with add-ons is like saying the 1966 Shelby GT350 was a Mustang with add-ons, true in a sense, but not really, any more than the original Cobra was an Ace with add-ons.

Guest evilchris

This is not true. In the words of Casey Stengal, "You can look it up." They are not C/S parts. To say the GT-H is a GT with add-ons is like saying the 1966 Shelby GT350 was a Mustang with add-ons, true in a sense, but not really, any more than the original Cobra was an Ace with add-ons.

The front bumper cover and scoops are C/S parts.

Taking a Mustang GT, leaving the engine, transmission, rear end, clutch, and interior STOCK, and bolting a bunch of crap to it = GT with addons.

Guest evilchris

i'm thinking that the 27K price is in error. Does not make sense to have a price point lower than a stock GT.

Also, am I the only one who does not like the proposed hood? I like the rental version a whole lot better

$27k would be a GT with options, not a bone stock one.

here is the post from over at svt

Guys, I am new here, so forgive me if I misse something in the posts.

My name is Amy Boylan and I am the president of Shelby Autos. I would like to just give you some info on this car and clarify a few things. This is a great site, I have "lurked" for a while, thought it might be time to post.

First, this is not a Ford add on package, it will be built by Shelby Autos in Las Vegas, in partnership with Ford, just like the Hertz cars were, using FR performance parts and Shelby designed parts.

The Hoods on these cars are not the GT/CS hoods, The hood is designed by Shelby using the Cobra(not cobra mustang) hood scoop as a base design. It is wider, but the mold was made using an original hood scoop from an aluminum cobra and the scoop also has the rivets, like the Cobra as well.

These cars will have the almost the exact performance upgrade that the hertz cars had. We are finalizing the car right now. There will be the optional manual, that the Hertz didn't have.

I know that for some this might not be the Shelby your looking for, it is what's it's meant to be, an entry level Shelby that is not out of the reach of the Mustang/Shelby lover. These cars are built the same way Carroll and Ford did it 40 years ago, together. This is a terrific partnership with Ford and we have a lot of exciting things coming.

Also, One last bit of info, as with the Hertz cars, these will all be added to the registry as Shelby's built by Shelby Automobiles and Ford. This is a terrific relationship and there is some amazing stuff we are all discussing and working on.

Thanks for all the feedback, If it's ok with all of you, , I will add more info as I have it. Thanks again

Amy

welcome amy. thanks for the additional information on the new shelby gt. the new shelby hertz is nice looking mustang but does not distinguish itself enough from the mustang gt. i dont like the hood on the hertz at all.

>> it's not supposed to be very different, it is using the Mustang GT as the base, and its supposed to be Shelby at an entry level.

i was hoping for a bit more from the shelby gt. maybe even a racing version of the mustang gt. why spend thousands more for the shelby gt mustang when one could get the same upgrades for $500?

>> I don't think you cen get the upgrades we do to this car for 500.00, The ford racing parts add up to way more then that and that's without the added shipping and labor

as a potention customer for the shelby gt, these are the types of things i would like to see on the car that would differ from the normal mustang gt. a new cam and high flow heads, rear seat delete, racing front seats, wider wheels and tires, hurst short throw shifter, and the lowered stance of the hertz.

>> this car would be a GT350 or a GT350R

visually i like the look of the unique performance shelby gt350. are they affliliated in any way with shelby automotive? a basic comparison would by today mustang gt, with the gt appearence package and spoiler delete. the cobra hood sounds sweet, and would be different from what is on the hertz correct?

>> unique build a resto mood version of a shelby GT500, its a powerful car, it is Also well over 100K. They are a licensee of Shelby and build the cars under approval of both Shelby Licensing and Shelby Autos.

any word on pricing? i hope that shelby keeps the price in the low 30's. we would order these cars through any dealer correct? can we order straight through shelby automotive? i do look foward to seeing this project up close, and hope ford and shelby continue working together.

>> Wish I knew more, but When we lock down the car, I will post more on this.

so the car can pass emissions with the FRPP add ons? i dont know a whole lot about what this or that has to do with emissions, but i thought production cars had extremely restrictive intakes to meet emissions. if this is correct then will you guys have to make up for it somewhere else in engine?

>> we are running everything thru EPA now, we dont expect any issues as other cars with More performance upgrades have passed...

another question, will there be shelby GT specific FRPP parts? i would imagine FRPP would want to have upgrades for this car too, like the rest of the mustangs, and it already uses some of the upgrades offered for the mustang GT.

>> still in the air, there might be a specific shelby part

Quote:

Originally Posted by ON D BIT

no, it has to adheare to ford standards as far as safety and emissions from what i understand. though shelby will include a template to use on the hood to make it functional. this is very cool.

huh the gt500 hood is functional so why not this one

>> The hood to be shipped fiunctional will require new testing, stress, crash, etc, and a host of other hoops to fly thru, the time and $$ would have to be passed on, we chose not to do that. and Time... Not worth it to us right now.

I wont buy this one, wow 325hp omg

and I bet this will cost about 35k

RIP OFF

My answer to this is , it is what it is to different people. but I bet in 10 years, this car hasn't lost a cent in value.

Hope this helps, The press release goes out Friday, so there will be more info.

Amy

The front bumper cover and scoops are C/S parts.

Taking a Mustang GT, leaving the engine, transmission, rear end, clutch, and interior STOCK, and bolting a bunch of crap to it = GT with addons.

One last time, the scoop is NOT a C/S part (this according to the president of Shelby Automobiles, Inc. who is just only building the car) but is an exact copy from a mold of the original aluminum Shelby scoop that is riveted to the hood.

One last time, the scoop is NOT a C/S part (this according to the president of Shelby Automobiles, Inc. who is just only building the car) but is an exact copy from a mold of the original aluminum Shelby scoop that is riveted to the hood.

Ooops, the above just beat me to the post.

Shelby GT or the GT500 might be collectables in 25-30yrs when theres only a handful of mint ones left, and at that they will have to be in showroom condition to bring in the big$. Where the car is built really has no bearing on if its a collectable or not. Its all about what the market (you&me) determines is a collectable and how good of a car it ends up being. Have a look at at the Lambourghinni Contach's, Lam. thought they were gonna revolutionize the auto styles with this car, you can hardly give that car away now and it really only appeals to teenage boys.

Its good to know that you have driven both cars to comment on the handling ? Sorry, could not resist in throwing this comment in.

As far as ADM goes, I placed my order in May 05 @ MSRP and told the dealership that they were not getting my deposit unless they wrote @MSRP on my reciept, they had no problems with this. While I agree that there are some very high ADM's that you hear of people actually paying for the car, thats their choice or should I say "lack of Negotiating Skills" which is in turn is just hurting the real enthusiast's like EC from getting one right now at a fair price, which is MSRP.

As far as taking a hit goes - Its pretty much common knowledge that most cars depreciate (very few actually hold their value or go up) so the hit is really relative to how badly you want that particular car. If your buying on pure speculation that its gonna be a collectable or go up in price your probably better off getting into the stock market.

No harm meant to anyone - Just my $0.02 worth.

Guest evilchris

I never said the hood was the C/S hood. There is no C/S hood. The C/S has the same hood as the Mustang GT. Before you say " NO IT HAS A SCOOP!! ". It doesn't. " BUT I HAVE A PICTURE!! " You have a picture of a C/S with the OPTIONAL GT appearance package, which includes a hood scoop.

I said the front bumper cover and scoops are C/S parts. Scoops == SIDE SCOOPS!

Some conflicting info here. Read the article from the link on the sidebar here. That piece says, if I remember correctly, that the "Shelby" GT will be built on the Flat Rock line.

Anyway - I thought about buying the "Hertz" hood from C/S - but they want about $600 for it - unpainted or shipped. About a grand for a hood? I thought not. I like it much better than this faux hood with the "scoop." Not on my GT! :shift:

Edit: my bad. The piece doesn't mention where the Shelby GT will be built.

Afterthought - I'm thinking Ford dropped the ball on this one. If they're going to, in essence, produce a retail version of the Hertz car - why not simply DO THAT. That way - owners would feel like they've bought the Hertz car and not just a GT with some stripes and a hood and 25 extra hp. Product recognition is Black with Gold Stripes. But - I'm not into marketing - they're the "experts." :banghead:

Well, just a quick thought (admitedly with not much thought) but the new car could have the opposite effect on the GT500. Ford said they'd build as many GT500's as they could sell. With competition coming on the market they may not be able to sell as many as they thought and final production numbers could go down. This would keep the GT500's in demand for a little longer anyway.

Well, just a quick thought (admitedly with not much thought) but the new car could have the opposite effect on the GT500. Ford said they'd build as many GT500's as they could sell. With competition coming on the market they may not be able to sell as many as they thought and final production numbers could go down. This would keep the GT500's in demand for a little longer anyway.

You're trying to give us nightmares, aren't you? :banghead:

Better yet how bout the guy who paid the big amount for the GT-H they auctioned. I emagine if you put a KB Blower on the Shelby GT it would blow away a GT500 too. So even more bang for your buck and if they keep the production less than the 500 it might be worth more in the long run. I still think they could have gotten a bit more HP and called it the GT350 but another Shelby is good and if it causes the ADM to go away faster even better.

A gt500 will never be beaten by a 05/06/07 kenne belle gt. Your playing with the devil wtih more than 450 rear wheel horses on a stock 4.6 block for the gt. gt500 can handle safely 650 on stock internals... You can have a kenne belle gt beat a 500 for about 5 races after that you have some rods in your block!!! Sweet right, sign me up.

Guest evilchris

A gt500 will never be beaten by a 05/06/07 kenne belle gt. Your playing with the devil wtih more than 450 rear wheel horses on a stock 4.6 block for the gt. gt500 can handle safely 650 on stock internals... You can have a kenne belle gt beat a 500 for about 5 races after that you have some rods in your block!!! Sweet right, sign me up.

The 450RWHP is a myth created by people who put 11PSI on their stock block without tuning.

"Never" be beaten? A 450RWHP GT will smoke a GT500 in the 1/4. Same HP, less weight. Sure we go on and on, "but then mod the GT500". Not the point, you said a GT500 will " never be beaten " by a GT. GT's are in the 11's on stock internals. Stock GT500's can't touch that.

The 450RWHP is a myth created by people who put 11PSI on their stock block without tuning.

"Never" be beaten? A 450RWHP GT will smoke a GT500 in the 1/4. Same HP, less weight. Sure we go on and on, "but then mod the GT500". Not the point, you said a GT500 will " never be beaten " by a GT. GT's are in the 11's on stock internals. Stock GT500's can't touch that.

No Ive seen pictures of a kenne belle gt running on normal boost ( suggested ) and he drove it to hard on the block, and the pictures were of a rod in the block... trust me Ive seen it happen, and I know someone with a kenne bell. HE makes 472 rearwheel horse, he shifts at like 5000 rpms, and drives like a grandma until he gets a new shortblock. how about a kb on a gt500?

Afterthought - I'm thinking Ford dropped the ball on this one. If they're going to, in essence, produce a retail version of the Hertz car - why not simply DO THAT. That way - owners would feel like they've bought the Hertz car and not just a GT with some stripes and a hood and 25 extra hp. Product recognition is Black with Gold Stripes. But - I'm not into marketing - they're the "experts." :banghead:

Excellent point RD

Why bother even comparing it to the GT-H its not even the same looking car ? Maybe I'm blind or something.

As a min. you think it would be offerd in the same color combo and with the GT-H hood.

Guest evilchris

No Ive seen pictures of a kenne belle gt running on normal boost ( suggested ) and he drove it to hard on the block, and the pictures were of a rod in the block... trust me Ive seen it happen, and I know someone with a kenne bell. HE makes 472 rearwheel horse, he shifts at like 5000 rpms, and drives like a grandma until he gets a new shortblock. how about a kb on a gt500?

Not saying you can't mod a GT500. You said a GT can never beat a GT500, as in ever.

I've seen stock boost terms blow rods. It happens. Additionally, not that it matters, but people act like putting forged pistoms and manley rods in a 4.6 is some $10,000 job. It's easy as hell and about $1000 if you know how to work on your car yourself.

This is what I said ---"A gt500 will never be beaten by a 05/06/07 kenne belle gt." And yes it's possible, but what I'm getting at is theres not point in doing a keene belle on a gt unless your running mid boost with little stress on the engine. It's to much for the block. Your better off with a vortech with 400 hp or a roush.

Guest evilchris

This is what I said ---"A gt500 will never be beaten by a 05/06/07 kenne belle gt." And yes it's possible, but what I'm getting at is theres not point in doing a keene belle on a gt unless your running mid boost with little stress on the engine. It's to much for the block. Your better off with a vortech with 400 hp or a roush.

8PSI KB intercooled with tune is not too much for the block. It's fine. If you want more boost, build the engine, it's CHEAP AND EASY. People act like the rods and pistons are some $10,000 part like I said.

---"A gt500 will never be beaten by a 05/06/07 kenne belle gt." And yes it's possible,

??? wtf? which one is it? I may be forming a headache.... :hysterical:

I'm not trying to give you a hard time flattus - but maybe give more thought into what you post? Remember - I read freshman essays! :hysterical:

I want an official Shelby plate on the dash for my GT500.

JB

Guest evilchris

I want an official Shelby plate on the dash for my GT500.

JB

That'd be kind of poser don't ya think?

Are we still kidding ourselves on the nature of the GT500 regarding Shelby?

The GT is getting parts installed at Shelby's shop by Shelby employees, it deserves a dash plate detailing it's origin.

Archived