TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford to Recall 470,000 Mustangs

HSURB

:yup: I read that too this morning checking on my Ford stock

Ford recalls 470,000 Mustangs to update air bag software

Associated Press

Article Launched: 02/27/2008 08:53:17 AM PST

DETROIT - Ford Motor Co. says it is recalling 470,000 Ford Mustangs from the 2005-2008 model years to recalibrate how forcefully the air bag deploys on the front passenger side of the car.

Ford spokesman Wesley Sherwood says internal testing showed the air bag could injure a small, unbelted passenger. The recall was posted Wednesday on the Web site of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Sherwood says there were no reports of injuries or accidents tied to the recall.

The Dearborn automaker will notify customers by mail in early March. Owners can take their vehicle to a dealer to have the air bag recalibrated to deploy at a lower force.

Subject: Ford Motor Company (Ford) recall No. 08C02 - Certain 2005-2008 Model Year Ford Mustangs

Summary

• Ford Action - Ford is conducting a voluntary compliance-related recall involving 2005-2008 model

year Mustangs to update the software in the restraint control module (RCM) to address a potential

non-compliance with one specific FMVSS 208 requirement that relates to an unbelted 5th percentile

female anthropomorphic test device, with the front passenger seat positioned full forward. The

action that Ford is undertaking does not affect the vehicle's five star frontal crash ratings achieved as

part of NHTSA's new car assessment program.

• Number of Vehicles Involved - Approximately 434,593 vehicles in the United States and federalized

territories.

• Description of Non-Compliance - A 2007 Ford Mustang V-6 coupe was tested by NHTSA's Office of

Vehicle Safety Compliance to the requirements of S16.1( of FMVSS 208. One requirement of

S15.3.6(a)(5) was exceeded for the unbelted, front passenger 5th percentile female anthropomorphic

test device seated in the full forward position.

• Service Program - Ford will notify dealers to stop demonstrating or delivering the affected vehicles

until they are updated with new software for the restraint control module. Ford will notify owners and

instruct them to take their vehicles to a Ford or Lincoln-Mercury dealer for the software update. Ford

will also instruct owners to have all occupants wear their safety belts and move the passenger seat

rearward away from the passenger airbag thus eliminating any real world safety risk associated with

this noncompliance.

Attached is the detailed information required by the applicable portions of 49 CFR Part 573 - Defect

and Non-Compliance Information Report.

49 CFR Part 573 - NON-COMPLIANCE INFORMATION REPORT

08C02 - 2005-2008 Ford Mustangs

Pursuant to Part 573 of Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Defect and Non-compliance

Reports, Ford Motor Company (Ford) submits the following information concerning a potential noncompliance

to one of the requirements of S15.3.6(a)(5) of FMVSS 208 for 2005-2008 model year

Ford Mustangs when a test is conducted pursuant to the requirements of S16.1( of FMVSS 208.

573.6 © (2) - Potentially Affected Vehicles

All Ford Mustangs vehicles built from April 22, 2005, through January 31, 2008, at the Auto Alliance

Plant are potentially affected. This includes part of the 2005 model year, all of the 2006 and 2007

model years, and part of the 2008 model year.

Because these vehicles are not produced in VIN order, information as to the applicability of this

action to specific vehicles can best be obtained by either calling Ford's toll-free line

(1-866-436-7332) or by contacting a local Ford dealer who can obtain specific information

regarding the vehicles from the Ford On-line Automotive Service Information System (OASIS)

database.

573.6 © (3) - Estimated Population of Vehicles Potentially Affected

Approximately 434,593 vehicles in the United States and federalized territories.

573.6 © (4) - Estimated Percentage of Affected Vehicles with the Condition

Unknown.

573.6 © (5) - Description of Non-Compliance

A 2007 Ford Mustang V-6 coupe was tested by NHTSA's Office of Vehicle Safety Compliance to the

requirements of S16.1( of FMVSS 208. One requirement of S15.3.6(a)(5) was exceeded for the

unbelted, front passenger 5th percentile female anthropomorphic test device seated in the full forward

position.

Ford is not aware of any reports of accidents or injuries related to this non-compliance.

573.6 © (7) - Basis of Non-Compliance Determination

On July 24, 2007, Ford was informed of the test results recorded for a 2007 Ford Mustang in a test

conducted pursuant to the requirements of S16.1( of FMVSS 208 for the NHTSA using an

unbelted, front passenger 5th percentile female anthropomorphic test device. An investigation was

undertaken, including inspection of the test vehicle, additional crash, system, and subsystem

testing and analysis to confirm the observed condition and to determine vehicles potentially

affected. After an extensive investigation, it was determined that the subject vehicles do not

comply with the requirements specified above.

573.6 © (8) - Service Program

Ford will notify dealers to stop demonstrating or delivering the affected vehicles until they are

updated with new software for the restraint control module. Ford will notify owners and instruct

them to take their vehicles to a Ford or Lincoln-Mercury dealer for the software update. Ford will

also instruct them to have all occupants wear their safety belts and move the passenger seat

rearward away from the passenger airbag. An owner can take these steps to eliminate any real

world safety risk associated with this noncompliance.

There will be no charge to owners for this service. Mailing of owner notification letters will begin

February 28, 2008, and be completed by February 29, 2008. Dealers will be notified on

February 22, 2008.

In accordance with Part 573.13 (d)(1), Ford is excluding reimbursement for costs incurred by

owners for repair of this problem because Ford's original warranty program would provide for a

free repair for this concern for customers.

573.6 © (10) - Press statement and Dealer/Owner Letters

Ford does not at this time plan to make a public statement concerning the subject matter of this

action. A copy of the Notification letters to dealers and owners from Ford will be forwarded when

available.

573.6 © (11)-Recall Number

Ford has assigned recall number 08C02 to this action.

I am going to pass on this recall.

I don't have any small unbelted passengers riding in my front seat.

man are you mean.... what if some little kid comes up to you & wants to go for a ride & then you say sorry kid, I wasn't in the mood to go back to the dealer for the recall to have the air-bag fixed for someone your size. I guess you'll have to settle for a ride on the lawn mower. :hysterical2:

I would be concerned that my JLT / EVO tune would get wiped out when they re-flash the computer.

no worries mate,that's not going to happen. your tune is in the pcm. this upload goes in the restraint module. totally different modules.

Define Small?

Anyone under 48"?

I don't look at it at the height level so much just the age, to me Children 10 and under shouldn't be sitting in the front seat at all. The Air Bags are probably bigger than their heads and bodies. But I have a teenager :rolleyes: and whenever he sits in the front of My Mustang he always puts the seat all the way back and complains when it's in the normal position :finger: so the Air Bag will probably never even hit him since he is so far back in the first place!!!

Archived