TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Mustang GT Confirmed by Ford

robertlane

I have a friend who works at Ford who saw the Shelby GT in person the other day. He tells me that the 325hp is the result of the standard Mustang GT engine with the Ford Racing Pack installed. The Ford Handling Pack is also installed. Hood scoop is riveted on - he thought it looked a bit tacky, but very retro (sounds crude to me, but what do I know). The are supposedly only going to be available in white or black, both with silver stripes, so those wanting one in Hertz rental car colors (black w/gold stripes) need not apply. His best guess at pricing was an MSRP starting around $32K.

Guest evilchris

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Aug 9 2006, 09:29 AM) 33882[/snapback]

I have a friend who works at Ford who saw the Shelby GT in person the other day. He tells me that the 325hp is the result of the standard Mustang GT engine with the Ford Racing Pack installed. The Ford Handling Pack is also installed. Hood scoop is riveted on - he thought it looked a bit tacky, but very retro (sounds crude to me, but what do I know). The are supposedly only going to be available in white or black, both with silver stripes, so those wanting one in Hertz rental car colors (black w/gold stripes) need not apply. His best guess at pricing was an MSRP starting around $32K.

It'd be worth $32k if it were a fully loaded Premium GT with premier trim, comfort group, side airbags, alarm, IUP, the works. Otherwise no way.

It'd be worth $32k if it were a fully loaded Premium GT with premier trim, comfort group, side airbags, alarm, IUP, the works. Otherwise no way.

Well, considering the GT/CS requires a Premium GT with some of the otherwise optional stuff, then I would guess the Shelby GT will be based on the Premium model, as well.

Piece on the car in USA Today said the ShelbyGT will start at $27k, CHEAPER than the MustangGT!

NFW (thats not for you Joe, its for that fine bit of fishwrap). Could somebody please update me on the definition of journalism again? My old one is somewhat out of date I fear..... :doh:

Guest evilchris

Piece on the car in USA Today said the ShelbyGT will start at $27k, CHEAPER than the MustangGT!

That isn't cheaper than the Mustang GT. Cheaper than a loaded one, sure.

Only 325 HP? WTH is Ford thinking? I can only summize that they must have another horse they are planning to release with more. My guess is a Boss sometime next year with cose to 400, which is what most rags think.

I'm having the same thoughts, but only time will tell.

Mike.

I wonder what the Shelby purists are going to think about this?

Perhaps they need to call it the Ford Racing Parts GT.

What does Shelby have to do with this one?

Not much, except that they will be making and inspecting and testing the cars at Shelby Automotive, Inc, in Las Vegas, kinda like the original Shelbys. dontya think?

Not much, except that they will be making and inspecting and testing the cars at Shelby Automotive, Inc, in Las Vegas, kinda like the original Shelbys. dontya think?

If they put that scoop on it, they are doing the car a disservice. Put the same hood on it that resides on the GT-H at least. Oh and bump the HP up to at least 350...

I wonder what the Shelby purists are going to think about this?

Perhaps they need to call it the Ford Racing Parts GT.

What does Shelby have to do with this one?

Last night Carroll stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. :hysterical:

I did notice that it has the slick wire-mesh grille they tested for better air flow on the manracer. I think it's nice looking, but where's the beef? Still, Rouschcharger works nicely with pwer pack and handling pack :)

Want BOSS (engine brand or car brand, whatever). Gonna be like Baskin Robins soon! Went to my Ford store and couldn't decide so I got a scoop of GT and scoop of Shelby GT dipped in premier interior. Mmmm.

Not complaining, mind you, just musing.... yep, I sprunged fer da extra $2K cause dat dere ShelbyGT gonna be worth a :censored: -load more than the plain ol' GT when my son Jethro gradjiates outta kindergarten in a few years I recon. :hysterical:

Here's another link on it: Left Lane News Shelby GT

And we'll all be getting this goodie from the Ford GT: Ford Goes Capless Fuel Filler

(What? I'm not hearing the joy?)

Really?! Where did you see that -- I must have missed it. I figured this is pure FoMoCo.

The piece that Robert posted said Ford was responding to the rave reviews of the Hertz - then why not produce and SELL the Hertz? vis a vie - Black & Gold.

Because the 3-way deal (Hertz/Shelby/Ford) precluded that. Ford initially didn't want Shelby to do the car because, under Shelby's contract with Ford, SA can't sell any of the Shelby branded cars -- only Ford can. Shelby suggested the cars be specific to Hertz (as in the 60s) and they'd hold them for a specific period/miles (don't know) so Ford could sell what Shelby enhanced to Hertz with no chance of them hitting the public as new-from-Shelby cars: win-win-win. That's why it was Ford carriers that dropped the cars at SA LasV and Ford carriers that picked them up and re-delivered them to Hertz "Fun Collection" locations nationwide.

However, Ford has the right to make and sell whatever they want. Clearly this car was ok with CS/SA since they did the black/gold ones, so (I'm speculating now) CS could not object -- nor would he want to I would think. But I'm still not clear who will be making the Shelby GT. I saw the post saying SA LasVegas and, though I find that hard to believe, it could have part of the deal, I suppose, since Ford, not Shelby, is selling them. But what's the point! There's no content in them that could not roll off Flat Rock, I would think, dunno.

Archived