TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Lookout or you'll get one of these

TheKurgan

I agree Bull has covered the bases. And after 35 years of the business I can tell you that a lawyer is usually a waste of money. You may be able to have something expunged later but that is after your conviction. I will bet that 90+% of citations result in convictions. Everybody knows someone who knows someone who beat a ticket,yadayadayadayada. In the real world it seldom happens. That is just the facts.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to agree with bull on this, the best thing you can do is be polite and take your fine. I have only been stopped twice, the 1st time I could have gotten away with a warning, but it escalated into a ticket because I was being kinda smart. Apparently it's illegal in OK to drive with your fog lights on in non-hazardous conditions. Back country road with deer, a car was in front and the fog lights just got the side of the road better. The 2nd time I admitted I was speeding and was polite about it and just got a verbal warning.

I agree Bull has covered the bases. And after 35 years of the business I can tell you that a lawyer is usually a waste of money. You may be able to have something expunged later but that is after your conviction. I will bet that 90+% of citations result in convictions. Everybody knows someone who knows someone who beat a ticket,yadayadayadayada. In the real world it seldom happens. That is just the facts.

Disagree, which "business" are you in? I have beat 3 in the past 5 years $300 each. And that sir is a fact. 90% of all tickets probably do end in a conviction, beacause of lack of knowledge, inability to afford an attorney, admission of guilt, or attempting to go at it pro-per. Trust me an attorney well experienced in traffic court finds most ticket defenses a walk in the park. Be nice, be polite, admit nothing, sign your name and hire a great traffic attorney. I'd bet you win most times especially with radar involved, at least here in WA state. Better yet fly low and avoid the radar!

I have to agree with bull on this, the best thing you can do is be polite and take your fine. I have only been stopped twice, the 1st time I could have gotten away with a warning, but it escalated into a ticket because I was being kinda smart. Apparently it's illegal in OK to drive with your fog lights on in non-hazardous conditions. Back country road with deer, a car was in front and the fog lights just got the side of the road better. The 2nd time I admitted I was speeding and was polite about it and just got a verbal warning.

Thats funny, I got pulled over for doing 68 in a 65 in my 86 Porsche 928S, I swear the guy just wanted to see the inside of a Porsche, what a SCHMUCK, ended up giving me a ticket for Fog Lights on without fog conditions!

Had them on that morning when it was foggy, didnt even realize it on the way home.

Judge threw it out, said he had more important things to do, court was in the evening so I didnt miss work. Go figure.

Your quote: "attitude is always a ticket from where i am standing which is usually looking at where you are sitting"

+10000 driving is priv. Oh and I must say this: I have never met a cop in my hometown that I knew in high school or college, that is because they were the ones who got picked on in school now they have a gun and a badge and they think they are God. Sorry bull but you started that one!

+10000 driving is priv. Oh and I must say this: I have never met a cop in my hometown that I knew in high school or college, that is because they were the ones who got picked on in school now they have a gun and a badge and they think they are God. Sorry bull but you started that one!

Don't worry about bull. He just hasn't got his quota for this month. :cry:

..me and wife and two teenagers have perfect driving records :superhero::hysterical2:

definitely worth the use of a lawyer to change speeding tickets into tickets for equipment defects; even worked for my youngest's 84 in a 55, which was probably worse, since at 30 over, the LEO would have to arrest him and tow the car, and he figured it was not worth the trouble.

I am also a federal LEO, and that status has led to friendly conversations rather than citations on a couple of occasions. :happy feet:

Thats funny, I got pulled over for doing 68 in a 65 in my 86 Porsche 928S, I swear the guy just wanted to see the inside of a Porsche, what a SCHMUCK, ended up giving me a ticket for Fog Lights on without fog conditions!

Had them on that morning when it was foggy, didnt even realize it on the way home.

Judge threw it out, said he had more important things to do, court was in the evening so I didnt miss work. Go figure.

I didn't even bother to go to court for mine, it was only 75$. I figured it would be better because I got out and tore this guy a new one, and this was only when I was 16. I can see it being a problem on a truck but on a car that their only 6 inches off the ground!

In my experience there are two types of tickets, the ones you deserve and the ones you don't. I have been ticketed three times in my life, two of them were not deserved and one of them was.

The one that was deserved happened when I was 17. I even admitted to the trooper that I was speeding and he was a prick about it. He wanted to accuse me of running and proceeded to give me a speech about how I didn't need a car with as much power as mine had. I ended up in court and had my license restricted for 30 days and the charge retired.

The first that was not deserved was by a small time police chief with a chip on his shoulder. He clocked a car in front of me but pulled me over because I was the easiest target. I tried to talk to him reasonably but he would have none of it and ticketed me. I ended up just paying the ticket because it would have cost me more to take off from work and fight it. I did get my revenge on him a few years later. I bet he is still wondering what it was that passed him that night.

The second that was not deserved was a case of mistaken identity and the cop was a huge prick about it. I ended up fighting it in court and making the guy look like an idiot. The judge gave him a good chewing and threw the ticket out.

Its still more dangerous to be a fireman than a police officer, from a statistical standpoint. It's a fact. And firemen don't collect any revenue for a municipality. Like I said, I doubt Jefferson, were he around to see the automobile, would consider driving anymore a privledge than riding his horse.

Think about it.

So what craws my ass is, on a website devoted to fast cars, a guy posts about his misfortune and Bull and the other folks "in the business" (revenue collection), instead of helping him out with advice and real facts, act like hypocrites. And let us know, yeah, I'm a hypocrite.

Fact is alot of officers don't get tickets for anything, including wife-beating,=hypocracy.

And frankly, it took me awhile to even know what a LEO was after LULU first posted on the old site. I thought he was into astrology and cruising for dates.

And since 911 (the event) these people (the LEO's) want us to kiss their asses and hold them up on a pedestal.

Fact is firefighting is way, way, way more dangerous. And they don't tazer your ass on a whim, or beat a person down with a maglight for being in the wrong place at the wrong time, while screaming "comply", as the suspect has his hands on his head. Ask Rodney King or the guy in NY who met the wooden plunger stick, between the buttcheeks, while in handcuffs. Must have had a bad "attitude". These are all facts, proven in the court systems beyond a reasonable doubt. Truth.

All you LEO guys can't help talking about your jobs on a CAR site.

A vast majority of us could give a rats ass what you do for money. We care about cars. I for one am sick of the LEO crap and "attitude" propogating on this site. I have never said what I do for money and I cannot remember anybody else but a LEO preachin' about their professional life on this site or the old one. I'd bet many of us are not impressed by your choice of a profession. Frankly, BFD, you have a job as a cop, it ain't pediatric neurosurgery.

And Bull your "attitude" sucks, check your style dude, get a life, its a guy speeding for christ sakes. Mellow out, or quit snorting meth. or better yet find a girlfriend, or quit your job and join the Peace Corps or something, if you have to.

Like I said if there were cars and not horses in Jeffersons time, the question of it being a privelidge to drive would be a non-question.

I find it horrific that someone could reasonably and willingly want to spend all day in a polyester uniform issuing tickets, but hey that's just me. I like the beach. Cheech and Chong had it right...Sgt. Stadanko all the way...hut hut hut.

I know where I spend my time while some guy in a polyester suit bs's with another guy in a polyester uniform about why I was aledgedly going 10 mph over the limit. And that's on a beach, with friends.

McCoy, I hardly know where to start to address your hateful rant towards police officers. First, have there been police officers that have acted improperly- Yes. You mentioned the plunger and I agree an egregrious form of misconduct. Are there police officers that issue citations, mostly in small towns, to raise revenue- Yes.

The average police officer issues a citation when he sees a violation or as the result of an accident.

And as far as fire fighting being a more dangerous profession. Well, it is obvious that you do not allow facts to get in the way of your argument. In the 1970s, when I became a police officer, we averaged 200+ plus police officers killed, mostly murdered, in the line of duty each year. In the 1990s those stats fell to about 150+ per year. There are far more police officers killed in the line of duty than fire fighters every year except possibly in 2001 as the result of 9-11. And even on that day there were 70+ police officers killed.

You mention Cheech and Chong and apparently draw a parallell with that lifestyle. I will only say that lifestyle, drugs, has contributed more to the downfall of this country than any other issue. A man of honor would never associate himself with that lifestyle. Maybe that is where you and I differ.

You have criticized Bull and LuLu, and the profession in general. Maybe when you have done 25, 30, 35 plus years of arresting wife beaters, crack heads, meth freaks, rapists, burglars, robbers, child rapists, and a host of other violent criminals you would be in a position to criticize. When you work night shifts, weekends, holidays when others can be with their families you may realize even more the daily sacrifice that law enforcement officers nationwide make for you on a daily basis. In the meantime it is that very thin blue line that maintains order in our society on a daily basis. It is that very thin blue line that also protects you, as ungrateful as you may be.

Even if you don't believe me.......well if you are ever sleeping at night and hear breaking glass and are worried for the safety of your family........call Cheech and Chong. You have told us a lot about yourself that I am sure many on this site will remember every time you post a response in the future. It's a thing called HONOR, PRIDE, SERVING....... maybe you wouldn't understand.

McCoy, Mea Culpa, but I could not resist further addressing your rants. First you mentioned a physician which most certainly can be a honorable profession. But there is a difference. The physician has an excellent chance of going home following the surgery no matter the outcome.

Second, I noticed you edited your post at 0455 hours. I am curious if you will leave your post as is for all to see and judge or if you will modify. Why not leave it as is and allow those on this site to comment on your current post. I might be wrong but I would wager most would not agree with your bias and hate.

McCoy, Mea Culpa, but I could not resist further addressing your rants. First you mentioned a physician which most certainly can be a honorable profession. But there is a difference. The physician has an excellent chance of going home following the surgery no matter the outcome.

Second, I noticed you edited your post at 0455 hours. I am curious if you will leave your post as is for all to see and judge or if you will modify. Why not leave it as is and allow those on this site to comment on your current post. I might be wrong but I would wager most would not agree with your bias and hate.

I, for one, will certainly comment on his post and I agree with it. I don't think alot of police officers realize how much their actions directly influence the future actions of an individual. I do take it personally and feel spiteful when an cop writes me a ticket when I was not speeding and rightfully so. Fact is they know they can do it AND get away with it. Our only hope of salvation is IA and guess who runs that? Ex freggin cops. Good luck filling a complaint with them. I speak from personal experience on that one brother.

And let's say something about cops. There are different levels. We all know it's the rookie cops that are the ones out there on speed duty patrol and I do not associate their level of danger with that of a firefighter. There are some officers that have a more dangerous job such as gang tasks forces and the likes and I am not including them in my rant.

As far as your comments for someone breaking in while I'm sleeping. Please don't make me laugh and say that a cop is going to be there to stop that. I got my Ruger and shotgun right by my bed, thanks.

Bulls comments don't piss me off. I knew right from the begining he was a fool when he expressed his unfounded opinions about the SGT. Most cops I have dealt with share his ignorance. I won't say that for all of them. Let's face it...it doesn't take a PHD to become a cop. I'm only speaking about the majority that I have dealt with.

Let me say that I do respect the ones like Lulu because he has the boldness to come out and say the things that we all know are true. He admits he USED speed and got away with it because he was a cop. WHAT MAKES YOU THINK YOU CAN DO IT AND GET AWAY WITH IT, BUT WE CAN'T? Laws apply to everyone including my friend. I don't care if you find my rantings disrespectful. I've never wanted ANY position of authority and for good reason. It's SO EASY to abuse and done so much to the point that I've learned I don't need cops and personally I say equip every person on the street with their own weapons and let the chips fall where they may. Thanks.

I find it funny how a letter from the Department of Motor Vehicles, or whatever they call it where you are, turns into cop bashing. In most places around the country, your DMV and PD have just as much to do with each other as the Department of Transportation and Department of Health.

As Ive said many times in the past, if you dont like the laws talk/write to your legislators. They make the laws and can change them as well. If you dont think driving should be a privilage but a right, talk/write to the legislator. How many on here and written them?

Kurgan. I agree I have never had a cop save me from harm, but in the past my guns have, and my physical size and abilities have.

I stand by my comments, this is a car site. You guys are always on and on about LEO. Post what you want, IMO it's not appropriate, IMHO you should get a shrink or go on a LEO site.

So instead of Cheech and Chong, how about "Reno 911". It's a comedy movie I was referring to, not a "lifestyle", besides do you mean "marijuana lifestyle", the one where our ex-president "did'nt" inhale. Or cocaine, the one where our current president will neither deny and/or confirm?

You judge me, but you have no idea who I am yet a Cheech and Chong reference means I'm associated in a drug lifestyle? So if you saw the movie, you get high?

Seriously, its not a rant aimed at cops, as much of why should we care about your job, I mean it is a car site.

I am however, against authority trips and hypocracy. Straight up and thats the fact.

I am not knocking your choice of careers, good for you, just don't care on a car site.

And 69, I never accused LULU of being dishonorable, just an example of the nationwide officer hyporacy reguarding tickets for speeding, how can you issue them all day long and then get no ticket when you get pulled over?

I mentioned the other heinious stuff not directed or accusing anyone, just to state that it happens. I am sure there are abusive Dentists out there as well. Who are hypocritical.

LULU is a good guy I like his posts, I have sent him PM's about things. He is a car nut. He is a smart man. It's cool. Like I posted I did'nt even know what LEO stood for when I saw his posts.

Traffic tickets generate revenue in ALL juristictions. And then you guys tell the guy he can't get off with an attorney as a fact, your wrong.

I stand by my post.

p.s. here is a picture just for you 69 dejavu, its a gasser from the 70's and you know it may be a reference about mary jane from the guy who painted it? Help me out here.

post-9886-1204222765_thumb.jpg

post-9886-1204222765_thumb.jpg

So what... its your choice to wear a uniform, and take all the other risks you take in your life. You get medals at work, I am sure you deserve them.

But you will be judged by your citizens as you work for them and you serve them, or is that all hypocracy too?

Again, so what, its still more dangerous to be a firefighter, check out the statistics on a nationwide mortality rate I think you will be surprised.

For the record I edited out a picture. Pm me if you want it 69 and i will send you it to you, it is of where I kicked back and drank a beer last time my attorney was in court fighting a speeding ticket for me, for real, we were laughing about it at the time, thats why I remember it. I was realizing I was being a pompus dude by adding the picture, so I edited it out.

3 tickets last 5 years no convictions all won by an attorney who defends people against tickets all day long. So fight each one and you will get no points or a letter.

Thats the facts.

Kurgan and McCoy; First, it is not the rookie officers that are on speed duty. At least not in major cities. That is not the way assignments are given. Some municipalities do derive monies from tickets and I personally feel it is wrong to administer cash register justice on tickets. My agency derives very, very, little from tickets. So little it is inconsequential.

Cops are like everyone else in this world, graded on a bell shaped curve. But the average cop does not give a ticket unless he honestly believes someone did something wrong. Are there cops that do things wrong, yes. BTW, IA, internal affairs, is not filled with friggin' retired cops, they are usually active duty cops.

I will be the first to admit I have not read all of Bull's threads and do not know what he said that drew your ire, nor do I care. You stated the site is not to brag about professions. I do not disagree with you. However, when others start bashing a profession it is to be expected that some will stand up to defend their profession. Myself included.

You claim that an attorney will get you off of a ticket. Well, sadly, like your statistics re firefighter, you are mistaken. I have personally witnessed over a thousand traffic cases in court. No, I did not issue those citations but police officers have to sit in court for hours and yes we see all the cases called before our case. The average attorney will plead no contest and give mitigating factors. Even if their is a defense it is usally going through the motions, theatrics, and the usual outcome of guilty. I would say 90+% of cases I have personally witnessed are found guilty. Our city used to have a conviction rate of over 95% on DUI cases. So again, I have first hand experience as opposed to anecdoatal rumors.

Personally, I feel both yours and kurgan's comments are out of line on the site. I don't remember anyone attacking you or your profession. Again, I will allow others to comment. Maybe I have misjudged the average person on the site. Then again, maybe it is the rookies, on the site, the younger people on the site, that are filled with such anger making these comments.

And no I was not aware of Reno 911 as I do not usally avail myself of juvenile movies just like I avoid druggies. If you use drugs fine. It is your life. Stay away from my kids and others, or a good cop will bring you before the justice system. Then you can start complaining about judges also and the drug laws.

As Ive said many times in the past, if you dont like the laws talk/write to your legislators. They make the laws and can change them as well. If you dont think driving should be a privilage but a right, talk/write to the legislator. How many on here and written them?

What a joke. I'll tell ya what needs to be done though. I think cops should carry video cameras with them AND film every aspect of catching a speeder. This is the only conclusive way to convict someone of speeding. If he films the car speeding and then moves down and films his radar(which should be calibrated and tamper-proof) then that would provide solid proof in court that the suspect is speeding(if it takes 2 cops to do that then so be it). Imagine a politician's chuckle upon seeing a letter suggesting something like that. Gimmie a break man.

I'm not trying to cop bash, but I sure will stand up for what I believe to be right.

I find it funny how a letter from the Department of Motor Vehicles, or whatever they call it where you are, turns into cop bashing. In most places around the country, your DMV and PD have just as much to do with each other as the Department of Transportation and Department of Health.

Reino, I am not taking sides on this one, but I do disagree with you on one point. Its not the laws that are the problem or even the topic of this discussion but rather the COMPLETELY RANDOM AND UNFAIR application of the enforcement of those laws by loser cops who feel empowered by their badges.

.............and really just need a friggin smack in the face.

I have many honorable policemen in my family, and NO ONE, not me anyway, is accusing every cop of being a tool. However, with that said, there are many out there, not just a few, that would benefit from being knocked on their ass for good measure.

Not that I condone violence, but sometimes its necessary and sometimes regular guys who are good people come across one of those many self empowered cops with a chip on the ol uniformed shoulders and wish he or she wasnt wearing that badge so they could be taught a lesson they desperately need.

The legislature cant help here. And the police test seems to celebrate morons.

Morons= power hungry mopes that look to victimize the weak& are given badges much to the dismay of the rest of us.

This is coming from someone who forcibily disarmed a cop in NYC and dropped his ass for good measure. Did I go to jail, NO.....because while I almost got killed by the other 40 cops in the bar at the time, they ultimately realized the guy was an asshole and deserved what he got. I went home that night unscathed vowing to stay out of cop bars.

Warning: DONT TRY THIS AT HOME BOYS & GIRLS. Im 6'2" 215 & my hands are very fast grasshopper. I was lucky to get out of their alive and most others would not have, even with an 8th degree buddy right beside me.

peace everyone!

McCoy, I have checked the statistics re fire and police deaths in the line of duty. There are far more police officers killed every year. Like any debate there are lies, damn lies, and statistics. Fire personnel often claim any heart attack, even off duty, as a line of duty death. Police statistics are recorded by the FBI through Uniform Crime Reporting and only count officers killed in the line of duty. Obviously the FBI statistics are correct.

I am curious. You mentioned you are kicking back and drinking while your attorney appears in court. You never mentioned if you actually committed the violations?

every profession has its share of undesirables, its just that brushes with the law, especially unjust ones, are serious matters and can stay with you a long time.

My wife has a lousy dentist, this clown should be working in a cow pasture, but we just go out and look for another one. With a cop, its usaully not that simple.

BEST WAY TO STAY OUT OF THE LINE OF FIRE IS TO OBEY THE LAW.

I know I came on strong in my last post, I am sorry. I dont mean to offend anyone and have the utmost respect for LEOS, ....most of them anyway!

Wicked, I can emphathize with you. I remember in my academy class, 35 years ago, we took up a pool as to whom would get his ass kicked; once on the street; because of his mouth. Well, we were right. He even got his ass kicked in the academy because of his attitude. But again, cops are like that bell shaped curve. A few great ones, a few lousy ones, and most somewhere in the middle. You always remember the exceptional person or the very bad person. Those in the middle are usually non-descript. And do some young cops have a chip on their shoulder, probably. But then again I have learned that many young adults, especially when the bar closes, have that same chip. The mature cops learned to try and talk to a person first rather than fight. Fight when you have to, not because you want to. I always used to conclude with " Easy way or hard way, its your choice."

I still believe the average cop does not give tickets unless he observed a violation. And most will not issue a citation unless the person has an attitude or is going 10 or more mph over the limit. I used to give 15 on the expressway. Tagged at 70 or better in a 55. But most of my work was inner city and not traffic.

rather than withdraw my earlier post, i wish to clarify.....

this incident happened in a bar setting. still not advisable, but it happened none the less.

In a policeman at work scenario, I would NEVER AND I SAY NEVER, CHALLENGE A POLICEMAN AND/OR HIS AUTHORITY. I HAVE TOO MUCH RESPECT FOR THEM AND THE WORK THEY DO AS WELL AS A FAIR AMOUNT OF LIKING FOR MY CONTINUING LIFE TO EVER CHALLENGE ONE IN THE LINE OF DUTY.....

IRREGARDLESS OF RIGHT OR WRONG.

THAT IS THE ONLY SMART & CORRECT PLAY AND THAT IS WHAT LAWYERS ARE FOR.

Godspeed to my whole Shelby & LEO family.

Gents...PLEASE! Give it a rest?

The chasim between citizen and LEOs is deep and wide, and both sides have valid points to present in their argument.

The fact remains that an LEO takes his office with a sworn oath, a duty to protect, and like it (enjoy it) or not, the oath imposes responsibilities, some with their own penalties for failure to act.

I never liked working D.U.I. checkpoints, I think of it as a trap. But, even as a citizen, I can't tolerate D.U.I. Nonetheless, when given a order by a superior officer, I respond NQA. It's my sworn duty.

MCCOY is right in one sense, this is a car site, and this topic is a tad off center. But, how does one enjoy the car without flirting with a confrontation with the law? Moreover, it's a bit more than a car site to me, it's closer to an extended family and I have traded many e-mails and TX echanges off line with many of y'all. If called upon for help, I'll do everything I can for a brother SGT owner.

There's a stupid/dumb/overbearing cop at every corner. I've worked with dozens over the years and I could never figure out where they come from. My eight years as a training officer proved this to me. Two out of the forty-some recruits I trained are off the job because of my oath to do my duty, and not play favorites or trade sexual favors for a passing grade.

When I worked in IAD, all I promised was that every case got a fair shake. Fair to the citizen and fair to the cop. I didn't conjure up violations, just collected the evidence, and documented the lack of same. That was my duty. BTW, 5 out of 10 complaints usually turn out to be false, and who's responsible for that? Crybaby public?

I won't apologize for my lifetime career and I won't defend my actions. I freely admit that I have made mistakes over the years, but in the long run, I've achieved more good than bad. Some of the things I won awards for in the '70s would put me behind bars today, because things change.

Everytime a bus full of school kids goes over a cliff, someone write a new law, and cops are charged with enforcement no matter how stupid or silly the language of the law. Its the oath, and most of us deeply respect it, even when y'all don't respect us for our loyalty.

The comparasion between fireman and cop is a good one to look at again. I live (and worked) in Chicago, and while there may be 4-5 fires on any given day, there are 30X that in armed robberies and other violent crimes that threaten the life of the cop who responds. Both are heroes in my book, and it seems a matter of frequency. I've been to 4-11 fires that took the lives of honorable and courageous men, and I worked crimes scenes with multiple dead cops lying in the street. Only the good die young, because they are true to their oaths to fight back the demons that threaten us all.

I'm off my soap box now, and trying to get back to car business. But, my LEO background will leak out from time to time, because it's me. It's not just a job, I wish it had been.

Let's lay it down gents, beers all around?

Archived