TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Amsoil

SPRSNK

How many people are using Amsoil? If so, which one?

What are the other brands that are good for our cars?

Thanks for the input!

This has been hashed to death so if you want the gory details, do a search. The short version is that Amsoil makes no product certified to the standards required for the GT500. They do not even market a product of the correct viscosity.

Currently there are only 2 sources of oil that meet the specs, Motorcraft and Castrol Syntech. Mobil sells a 5W50 in european markets, but not in the US.

This has been hashed to death so if you want the gory details, do a search. The short version is that Amsoil makes no product certified to the standards required for the GT500. They do not even market a product of the correct viscosity.

Currently there are only 2 sources of oil that meet the specs, Motorcraft and Castrol Syntech. Mobil sells a 5W50 in european markets, but not in the US.

Well that makes it easy! Thanks for the quick info!

True, but Amsoil will claim their oil is BETTER than the others and that they don't do the cert. testing because it costs too much (even though their oil is expensive to begin with) and that running thicker viscosity won't hurt your engine.

I choose not to believe it - but you'll get many opinions just the same.

IMO - stay with what Ford recommends and you'll be covered. Motorcraft and Castrol are both synthetics - and if you want to just "be extra cautious" then simply change the oil more often.

Thanks for the input!

IMHO - I wouldn't be affraid to run amsoil in the rearend, but what I have found after working on many different cars over my career is that no matter what make, model or brand of car it is, it all boils down to how well you pay attention to the maintenance of ALL fluids (motor, transfer case, rear end, transmission, hubs, spindles, front axle, etc...)

Do your home work by writing down all the specs for each & then shop around & compare them to other manufactures by reading the test results or Independent lab results provided. Once you have found what fits your needs, pick the product. For me I don't reply on just 1 mfgr for all my oil needs, I pick the best for each application based on my needs & and intended use. Others may feel different but that's my opinion & it's my car to do what I want with it.

HI JC,

I can get Mobil 5W50 here in Nova Scotia Canada at our local Canadian Tire Store but I still choose to go with the Motorcraft, just trying to go by the book.

Technically I am only aware of one brand of motor oil that meets the Ford WSS-M2C931-B spec called out in the GT500 owner's manual and that's Motorcraft. The Castrol 5W-50 meets WSS-M2C931-A. With that said, I personally would not hesitate to use the Castrol or Mobile 1 brand of synthetic 5W-50.

Technically I am only aware of one brand of motor oil that meets the Ford WSS-M2C931-B spec called out in the GT500 owner's manual. The Castrol 5W-50 meets WSS-M2C931-A. With that said, I personally would not hesitate to use the Castrol or Mobile 1 brand of synthetic 5W-50.

Still looking for the MOBILE 1 here in So. Cal..............

Thanks for the input!

I use Amsoil 20w50 racing oil, I changed it after the first 500 miles and will do so again after 1500 to 2000 miles. I use Amsoil on a whole fleet of work trucks and have had very good performance with it mainly due to the extended service intervals that can be realized from the series 2000 line of motor oils they offer. I spoke with tech. service at Amsoil and they recommended the 20w50 racing oil. I believe Amsoil is the best choice but as coldwater has accurately stated, maintanence intervals are very important. I would suggest looking at the testing Amsoil has done with their products and others. epools

Still looking for the MOBILE 1 here in So. Cal..............

Call 1-800-ASK-MOBIL and ask them where their 5W-50 can be had in your area. I did this and they hooked me up with their commercial distributer in my area. The distributer had it in stock, picked up two cases the next day.

After much resistance and a lot of convincing from my brother I finally switched to Amsoil and have been very happy. I to was worried about the Ford certification but after looking at what Amsoil had to offer and reading the fine print about the warranty issues I decided to give it a try.

It seems that no matter what any of the auto manufacturers tell you they cannot legally void your warranty unless you use a different viscosity. For example, if Ford calls for 20W-50 in the GT500 you can use any brand of 20W-50 and they can do nothing about it but if you use 10W-50 then they can refuse your warranty claim. Apparently Congress passed a law a few years ago to keep big oil and the auto manufacturers from tying customers to their brands.

Call 1-800-ASK-MOBIL and ask them where their 5W-50 can be had in your area. I did this and they hooked me up with their commercial distributer in my area. The distributer had it in stock, picked up two cases the next day.

Thanks Kid, I will give that a try.

Oh Ya, Great pic of your car as it looks just like mine :happy feet: .

After much resistance and a lot of convincing from my brother I finally switched to Amsoil and have been very happy. I to was worried about the Ford certification but after looking at what Amsoil had to offer and reading the fine print about the warranty issues I decided to give it a try.

It seems that no matter what any of the auto manufacturers tell you they cannot legally void your warranty unless you use a different viscosity. For example, if Ford calls for 20W-50 in the GT500 you can use any brand of 20W-50 and they can do nothing about it but if you use 10W-50 then they can refuse your warranty claim. Apparently Congress passed a law a few years ago to keep big oil and the auto manufacturers from tying customers to their brands.

True.

But what you said contradicts each other.

Amsoil isn't available in 5W-50 - they recommend 20W-50 for the GT500. Wouldn't that then potentially void the warranty??

Thanks Kid, I will give that a try.

Oh Ya, Great pic of your car as it looks just like mine :happy feet: .

http://www.amsoil.com/performancetests/g1971/index.aspx

This link is for the test results of a comparison of the leading motor oils including Mobil-1 and Amsoil. Amsoil outperformed them all. The tests were done by an indepenent lab.

The viscosity rating Ford and most car manufacturers recommend for the cars they make is for fuel mileage. The lower number in the 5w50 viscosity rating reflect a much lighter(thinner) oil at a given temparature. Thinner oil will flow more readily than a 50w oil, this decreases the power required to pump the oil to the necessary engine components and in turn increases fuel mileage and maybe even frees up more power to the ground. Heavier oils (50w) require more power to pump but protect vital engine components much better. The idea with the viscosity recommendations is to provide the necessary protection for the engine and get the best fuel mileage in all possible climates, and conditions. Remember, oils with viscosity ratings that don't go to low protect better.

If you live in a climate with very cold temparatures the lower viscosity numbers are a benefit.

The qualities that make one brand of oil better than another is the base stock and the additives they blend in. Independent testing is a good unbiased source of information to consider in making a choice.

WRONG ANSWER

The manufacture requires lubricants meeting a specification, not just viscosity. Use a lube that is not certified to the required spec and have a related failur, there is no warranty. Simple.

My biggest problem with amsoil over the years (other than thier obnoxious dealers) is thier lack of industry certifications. "Take our word for it" just ain't good enough. Prove it or don't try selling it to me. Independant lab does not equal API certifications.

WRONG ANSWER

The manufacture requires lubricants meeting a specification, not just viscosity. Use a lube that is not certified to the required spec and have a related failur, there is no warranty. Simple.

My biggest problem with amsoil over the years (other than thier obnoxious dealers) is thier lack of industry certifications. "Take our word for it" just ain't good enough. Prove it or don't try selling it to me. Independant lab does not equal API certifications.

+1

customer testimony doesn't equal lab certifications.

True.

But what you said contradicts each other.

Amsoil isn't available in 5W-50 - they recommend 20W-50 for the GT500. Wouldn't that then potentially void the warranty??

Yes, you are correct it would void the Ford warranty and I would not recommend doing that. However Amsoil will warranty the motor if you use their recommended oil and service schedule, but I do not know if I would trust them or not. My brother tried to get me to put the 0W-20 in my SGT but I just didn't feel comfortable doing it so I went with the 5W-20 that is called for, just to be safe.

WRONG ANSWER

I'm not going to argue about it. I have used the stuff for several years and have had no problems and it looks better than the Mobil 1 ever did at the change intervals. I felt the same as you until I actually saw the results of using it. We have it in all of our road and farm vehicles and have not had a failure yet.

People are going to use what they want, I was just adding my 2 cents worth and forwarding information that my brother, an obnoxious dealer, had given to me.

http://www.amsoil.com/performancetests/g1971/index.aspx

This link is for the test results of a comparison of the leading motor oils including Mobil-1 and Amsoil. Amsoil outperformed them all. The tests were done by an indepenent lab.

The viscosity rating Ford and most car manufacturers recommend for the cars they make is for fuel mileage. The lower number in the 5w50 viscosity rating reflect a much lighter(thinner) oil at a given temparature. Thinner oil will flow more readily than a 50w oil, this decreases the power required to pump the oil to the necessary engine components and in turn increases fuel mileage and maybe even frees up more power to the ground. Heavier oils (50w) require more power to pump but protect vital engine components much better. The idea with the viscosity recommendations is to provide the necessary protection for the engine and get the best fuel mileage in all possible climates, and conditions. Remember, oils with viscosity ratings that don't go to low protect better.

If you live in a climate with very cold temparatures the lower viscosity numbers are a benefit.

The qualities that make one brand of oil better than another is the base stock and the additives they blend in. Independent testing is a good unbiased source of information to consider in making a choice.

One good reason for the lighter viscosity oils is the flow caracteristics in todays tighter tolerance

engines. I do not see this mentioned in the AMSOIL AD????????????????? :headspin:

Archived