TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Help with 8.8" rear end

Grim22

So my car is in the shop and they went to connect the 8.8" rear end to the PHA drive shaft and it would not bolt up. the rear end splines are larger than the ones on the drive shaft. I called Shelby performance parts where I bought the complete turn 2 kit and they are still checking on it. Did any one have this problem? :banghead: Thanks

So my car is in the shop and they went to connect the 8.8" rear end to the PHA drive shaft and it would not bolt up. the rear end splines are larger than the ones on the drive shaft. I called Shelby performance parts where I bought the complete turn 2 kit and they are still checking on it. Did any one have this problem? :banghead: Thanks

I assume you bought the V6 PHA driveshaft (the V8 one won't fit). There is an adapter plate that has to go on the rear axle. I'll look up the part number for you. Usually the rear ends supplied for the CS6 come with the plate already installed. You can see it in this picture:

04748.jpg

Another issue you may run into. The safety loop with the driveshaft won't fit with a Hurst shifter. My builder had to make a larger custom safety loop.

Adapter Flange is for an 03-04 Cobra, part # E9TZ-4851-A from Ford or other suppliers. See: http://mustangcollective.com/showthread.php?t=15337 and http://www.mustangcollective.com/showthread.php?t=7915

Thanks again thats twice :happy feet: I can't wait for it to leave the shop and you have help me expedite that.

While you are working with the rear end, look to see if there is a small oddly shaped (they are both different shaped) weight attached to the rear axle at each side. They are held on by one long bolt each. Remove them if they are there (not all rear ends have them). They just add unsprung weight to the axle. They were added to reduce bouncyness to rear of the stock mustangs. With the very stiff Eibach suspension, a little added bouncyness is a good thing. The extra weight of the 20 inch wheels more than compensates for the two little weights.

Archived