TEAM SHELBY FORUM

OT: Impact Wrench

Jesse_Bolt

I've got a 1/2" drive no name brand pneumatic impact wrench that struggles to break a lug nut loose. Typically I torque my lug nuts at 90 ft. lbs. and this impact wrench isn't getting the job done. I might use, or should I say attempt to use, an impact wrench maybe twice a month. I'm using a 5 HP 30 gallon air compressor rated at 7.8 scfm @ 40 psi. and 5.8 scfm @ 90 psi.

¿What 1/2" drive pneumatic impact wrench do you recommend?

JB

I have a Craftsman Industrial electric impact wrench that I find is much stronger than a pneumatic. I have had it for years and find all kinds of uses for it.

While browsing through the Craftsman catalog, I saw the electric impact wrenches. Having never seen one in action, I wondered how they compared to the pneumatic impact wrenches.

Thanks for your reply 'cchesley'.

JB

I've got a 1/2" drive no name brand pneumatic impact wrench that struggles to break a lug nut loose. Typically I torque my lug nuts at 90 ft. lbs. and this impact wrench isn't getting the job done. I might use, or should I say attempt to use, an impact wrench maybe twice a month. I'm using a 5 HP 30 gallon air compressor rated at 7.8 scfm @ 40 psi. and 5.8 scfm @ 90 psi.

JB

I found the same thing a few years ago with my dads cheapy impact set. I thought the point of having an impact wrench was so you didn't have to physically break bolts free yourself. So I went out and bought a 1/2" drive Husky pneumatic impact wrench with 450 ft-lbs of torque. Whether you buy pneumatic or electric, just make sure it has a higher torque rating around 400ft-lbs and you should be all set. I have no problems breaking even some of the most rusted bolts free. HTH

I found the same thing a few years ago with my dads cheapy impact set. I thought the point of having an impact wrench was so you didn't have to physically break bolts free yourself. So I went out and bought a 1/2" drive Husky pneumatic impact wrench with 450 ft-lbs of torque. Whether you buy pneumatic or electric, just make sure it has a higher torque rating around 400ft-lbs and you should be all set. I have no problems breaking even some of the most rusted bolts free. HTH

¿So 450 ft. lbs. of torque is something to look for? I'm not sure where Husky's are sold in my area. Thanks 'topdown50'.

JB

I asked my mechanic the same question 3 or 4 years ago and he said get an IR 237. Ingersoll Rand model 237, I did and love it.

Thanks 'deuce'. It appears Ingersoll Rand doesn't make the model 237 1/2" drive Impact Wrench anymore. ¿Could you tell me which one of their current line is comparable to the IR 237?

http://www.irtools.com/IS/category.asp-en-2844

JB

Sorry! Just got home and checked, I have an IR 231. That was the model suggested by my mech...mind is slipping.

Thanks 'deuce'. Sears has it for $169.99 and this weekend, Craftsman Club members get an additional 10% off. Another friend recommended IR too, no specific model.

7e65f628.jpg

Ingersoll Rand. Twin hammer mechanism, power regulator and pressure-feed lube system. Built-in oil mist lubrication oils the air motor each time the trigger is pulled. Variable speed trigger gives you complete control of power output. Specifications: 1/2 in. Drive; Torque Range 25-300 ft. lb.; Max Torque 425 ft. lb.; 1,200 Blows Per Min.; Free Speed 7,000 rpm; 9/16 in. Standard Bolt Cap.; 6-3/4 in. Overall Length; Average Air Consumption 4.2 cm; 1/4 in. Air Inlet; 3/8 in. Min. Hose Size. IR model 231.

JB

JB

I used to work at a tire shop...we ran those things all day long. Now I'll admit this was 18 years ago...but back then, Ingersoll Rand made the most powerful gun...you'll have to "dial it down" to get only 90 lb*ft.

Dave

The 'Top Dog' IR is the 2131 with the composite housing. Craftsman sells the same unit with a chrome impact housing on the front and is on sale right now for cheaper than you can buy the IR. Have had one for several years and the power difference from my old Huskey was amazing. 700ft lbs of torque will break something loose!

Archived