TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Scoop Saga...continued

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got a notice in the mail from the "FORD MOTOR COMPANY " on their Letter Head stating that I was to be advised of a problem in the design of the Occupant Crash Protection system ..................a 5th percential female can be at risk if not wearing the seat belt and has the seat in the full forward position when the air bag goes off.................etc the dealer will reprogram the restraint module .............etc

I find it pathetic that Ford has taken great pains to advise the customer , solve the problem , to maitain it's integrity, and the customers (our) safety . Hey our scoop could easily turn into a safety issue ....................especially in a CALS...

Why is it SAI (not Carol) will not take effective action...................do you know how few 5th percentile females there are and how rare the case they are addressing is .....................far fewer than the number of defective scoops.

I feel the lawyers , and the accountants are gauging litigation costs against the cost of fixing the problem , and looks like the customer , and integrity are not in the computation..............................must be why Ford has been around for a while ...................ZDS

Just got a notice in the mail from the "FORD MOTOR COMPANY " on their Letter Head stating that I was to be advised of a problem in the design of the Occupant Crash Protection system ..................a 5th percential female can be at risk if not wearing the seat belt and has the seat in the full forward position when the air bag goes off.................etc the dealer will reprogram the restraint module .............etc

I find it pathetic that Ford has taken great pains to advise the customer , solve the problem , to maitain it's integrity, and the customers (our) safety . Hey our scoop could easily turn into a safety issue ....................especially in a CALS...

Why is it SAI (not Carol) will not take effective action...................do you know how few 5th percentile females there are and how rare the case they are addressing is .....................far fewer than the number of defective scoops.

I feel the lawyers , and the accountants are gauging litigation costs against the cost of fixing the problem , and looks like the customer , and integrity are not in the computation..............................must be why Ford has been around for a while ...................ZDS

I have read this 5 times and for the life of me I don't see the connection or what inside info you have on legal discussions to make these crazy claims. Complain all you want about the scoop but don't go making stuff up.

Just out of curiosity how many of you are garaging your cars? Not that it should matter. Mine is in the garage unless I drive it and havent had any problems however, it is a later production car. Dont know if this has been discussed before but Im wondering if its the sun/heat beating down on the hood is part of the problems and the poor design/materials being the other part.

I am in no way trying to make an excuse for these hoods and even if it is the sun/heat they need to fix them and use better materials.

do you know how few 5th percentile females there are and how rare

Actually I do, They are so rare I dont know what a "5th percentile female" is........

Maybe its a West Coast thing so please fill me in.

Just out of curiosity how many of you are garaging your cars? Not that it should matter. Mine is in the garage unless I drive it and havent had any problems however, it is a later production car. Dont know if this has been discussed before but Im wondering if its the sun/heat beating down on the hood is part of the problems and the poor design/materials being the other part.

I am in no way trying to make an excuse for these hoods and even if it is the sun/heat they need to fix them and use better materials.

Obviously, garaging any car is better than leaving it outside exposed to the elements. The interesting thing about these scoops is that, while sitting in the garage (like mine), the scoops look bad enough, but w/in 2 minutes of moving the car outside into cold weather you can almost watch the edges of the scoop curl up as the material begins to contract due to the cold. Sun and heat actually causes the scoops to look better, which is probably why they always looked fine to SAI, being located in the hot, Las Vegas climate.

Mine is in a garage all night and all day....my car rarely sits in the sun.

If the hood scoop was a safety concern,The government would step in and make SAI fix it pronto!The NHTSA makes manufacturers fix safety related issues.Being as the scoop is purely an aesthetic problem no intervention will occur.So I'm not trying to pick a fight but that wa not an apples to apples comparison.But I do understand your frustration.Remember that the squeaky wheel gets the grease.If it is loud enough!

If the hood scoop was a safety concern,The government would step in and make SAI fix it pronto!The NHTSA makes manufacturers fix safety related issues.Being as the scoop is purely an aesthetic problem no intervention will occur.So I'm not trying to pick a fight but that wa not an apples to apples comparison.But I do understand your frustration.Remember that the squeaky wheel gets the grease.If it is loud enough!

What's Amy's position on this? Maybe this issue should be raised at the next shareholder's meeting? We shouldn't let SAI off the hook. Our voice is stronger, collectively.

What's Amy's position on this? Maybe this issue should be raised at the next shareholder's meeting? We shouldn't let SAI off the hook. Our voice is stronger, collectively.

so am i to understand then that SAI feels the the recent 2 piece scoop with rivets is the latest and only fix and they are unaware or in denial of this new stripe pushing back issue at the scoop and hood connection as well as rivets with this latest fix!! what does anyone feel the next step should be from us owners if in fact no fix is being considered i would say then that our biggest squeaky wheel other than us, are dealers who have 08's on lots unaware of this issue, i suggest everyone do a small road trip to their closest ford dealer and look at the 08s, any that show this lssue ask for dealer manager and complain as to why the car looks like that on the lot or showroom as you had considered purchasing and would like to know when and how it will be fixed so you can reconsider your purchase. just an idea, any other suggestions as i do not plan to just sit here with my warranty ticking away. it is almost as if SAI is too busy with new projects, for the record i have not spoken directly to shelby, but the first rejection on this from ford to my dealer was not encouraging. we really can't let this all get swept under the rug and feel we should live with this, i do NOT just want a new replacement 2 piece scoop and rivets, i want the issue figured out and solved or i want a new painted installed gt-h hood. that simple. anyone agree here or am i over-reacting? i am proud to drive my shelby and to be honest i am embarrassed to be now with the way it looks, i am embarrassed for me as well as Shelby and i mean that :(

I think I remember Amy saying they were working on a fix that would be ready by April. That's one week away folks so I'm waiting until then before I go completely ballistic. That will be the determining factor on if I purchase ANY Shelby parts in the future or not.

If they are not going to fix it then I might go with the Steeda race cowl hood(not sure how the stripes would look on there tho).

http://www.steeda.com/products/steeda_ultr...uction_hood.php

There won't be any clearance issues with this hood when I go SC. Forget mods being put in the registry. I'm over that already. I thank Shelby for doing a great job with the suspension. I'll take the wheel from here on out, preesh!

Obviously, garaging any car is better than leaving it outside exposed to the elements. The interesting thing about these scoops is that, while sitting in the garage (like mine), the scoops look bad enough, but w/in 2 minutes of moving the car outside into cold weather you can almost watch the edges of the scoop curl up as the material begins to contract due to the cold. Sun and heat actually causes the scoops to look better, which is probably why they always looked fine to SAI, being located in the hot, Las Vegas climate.

Thanks for giving me a lesson. Like Ive said many times Im not a mechanic and dont claim to be one, though I wish I was sometimes.

And I think we should all listen to Ilmor as he has an obvious solution. We all need to move to Las Vegas. :rockon: :D

Edited cause I cant spell

Nothing is better than driving these cars at freeway speeds ..............cool rise ...I love it ..............BUT if one of these scoops comes off atspeed , and hits someone else .............some one elses car .................causes and injury accident ............well then Law suits will fly!!, and we may be on our own..................It can happen.............ZDS

Nothing is better than driving these cars at freeway speeds ..............cool rise ...I love it ..............BUT if one of these scoops comes off atspeed , and hits someone else .............some one elses car .................causes and injury accident ............well then Law suits will fly!!, and we may be on our own..................It can happen.............ZDS

It could happen ...............

"You're traveling though another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind; a journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's the signpost up ahead - your next stop, the TWILIGHT ZONE."

My 08 with 427 miles has developed all the symptoms'. Rivets, stripe pushing and the dip. Picked it up on the 29th of February......took it to the dealer this morning and met with their stripe guy (an outside contractor). The only way to keep these from doing what they are doing is not to have the stripes under the scoop. It needs a layer of 3M tape or something to cushion it also. I told the body manager to put in a claim to Shelbya nd we'll wait to see what they say. Makes me kinda sad.....issues with a Shelby GT and transmission/clutch issues with my GT500. Thought I was going to have a great pair of cars.....should have just ordered a GT and been done with it.

My 08 with 427 miles has developed all the symptoms'. Rivets, stripe pushing and the dip. Picked it up on the 29th of February......took it to the dealer this morning and met with their stripe guy (an outside contractor). The only way to keep these from doing what they are doing is not to have the stripes under the scoop. It needs a layer of 3M tape or something to cushion it also. I told the body manager to put in a claim to Shelbya nd we'll wait to see what they say. Makes me kinda sad.....issues with a Shelby GT and transmission/clutch issues with my GT500. Thought I was going to have a great pair of cars.....should have just ordered a GT and been done with it.

WOW, clutch and tranny problems? I just looked at the GT500 forum and I was surprised to see all the complaints about this issue. I guess a dip in my scoop is not so bad. Sorry to hear about those problems.

I noticed that. "success" arrogance. (double post, but i couldn't resist)

It's not success or arrogance ......... ..................if shes talking with the accountants , and lawyers first it will be a long long time before we hear anything.........ZDS

I guess this is rinse and repeat? :happy feet:

Just honest opinion .....................it may be just my opinion , but SAI is gonna get 45,000 dollars worth of it until I see some real effort to perform as they themselves say they are capable of doing...................... 45,000 / .02 = 2250000...............ZDS

Just honest opinion .....................it may be just my opinion , but SAI is gonna get 45,000 dollars worth of it until I see some real effort to perform as they themselves say they are capable of doing...................... 45,000 / .02 = 2250000...............ZDS

Well for both our sakes, remember I am in the same boat, the issues will be solved soon....April is the current timeframe, so until then I wait.

I do worry though, when this issue is fixed, if we'll ever hear from you again! I think 90% of your posts have been on this topic and I'm sure you have much more "..........................." to offer! Ok...little joke there, but there is a lot to love about this car and I hope you take an opportunity to come together with others over these things too!

Archived