TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Scoop Saga...continued

I would be quite pleased if SAI just did a complete recall of the SGT hoods and had the dealers replace them with a GT500 KR hood. No waiting to see if the fix works. I would just comply. End of story. Everyone happy: :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

normal_08Shelby_GT500KR_3024.jpg

that would be great, not sure it would fit, but good thought

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would be quite pleased if SAI just did a complete recall of the SGT hoods and had the dealers replace them with a GT500 KR hood. No waiting to see if the fix works. I would just comply. End of story. Everyone happy: :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

normal_08Shelby_GT500KR_3024.jpg

Nice thought, but it would not fit unless you also change the entire front end to the GT500 front end. Then you would have a GT500 clone, not an SGT!!

I had a 07 SGT and had to actually replace the hood due to a rivet popping through. After replacing the stripes and riveting the scoop down I thought that the problem was solved but after about 1 -2 months I noticed the stripes lifting at the edges of the scoop. About 3 months later Feb,08 I traded for an 08 SGT.

Scoop seems fine compared to the previous scoops but I am noticing the stripes lifting around the edges of the hood scoop just like the 07 did. :banghead:

Skip

My next guinea pig test for you all will be in a few weeks. My dealer is ordering scoop #4, also known as the "dipless" scoop and I'll report back how things go. So far no stripe damage or other issues with #3 except of course the "dip". I've asked the dealer to make sure the guy that installed it last time does it this time.

+1

I also want the same guy to do my install of #4. I've even toyed with the idea of offering him $100 tip (under the table) if he does it like he did before.

:D

Had scoop on my 07 replaced for the first time last Wednesday. Looks 1,000 times better than the original as I could literally slide thick cardboard under it. Not sure if this one is the latest however it does not currently have a dip in it. The next two days it sat in direct sunlight in 75+ temps without any distortion and the stripes are fine. IMO it has just as much to do with the installation, especially with the stripes lifting and/or hood flat spotting near the rivets.

Actually I love the way this scoop looks. It just needs to be fixed. All I have is the dip, but the rivets and install are perfect. However, the dealer was very careful and it does require skill.

The scoop "LOOKS" fine, but I'm not a fan of something that is "non-functional" The scoops on the side look fine too, but again, they are "non-functional"...Hence, If something is going to be "non-functional", let's at least have something that doesn't give us fits every time we turn around...AGAIN, I vote for the GT-H Hood as a replacement for the Scoop issue!!!

My next guinea pig test for you all will be in a few weeks. My dealer is ordering scoop #4, also known as the "dipless" scoop and I'll report back how things go. So far no stripe damage or other issues with #3 except of course the "dip". I've asked the dealer to make sure the guy that installed it last time does it this time.

Jeff..I have been away for a few days . Did they come out with a new scoop? Is this the "new" model you are getting put on ?

Thanks,

Sue

Jeff..I have been away for a few days . Did they come out with a new scoop? Is this the "new" model you are getting put on ?

Thanks,

Sue

I was going to ask where you were!

yes, Amy posted that they figured out what caused the dip and directed that if you had the issue to go to your dealer and get a new on order.

See here:

http://forum.teamshelby.com/forums/index.p...60&start=60

Hope all is well! You are missed!

It is close to April and still no hints from Amy on scoop repair for those of us with lifting scoops one year now!, I read her post before is was gone and my impression was a new mould ? I am not crazy about rivets problems with stripes damage to hoods etc there seems to be aolt of people with bad scoops but I bet most are not on forum. I just cannot believe that is is still an issue when I took delivery of SGT 113 in Feb 07 and had my second scoop I thought that was the end of it, I guess not I only hope we get a fix before my warranty ends, this is my first American car in 20 years and alot of problems granted Shelbys problems but still issues SAI are you there?

It is close to April and still no hints from Amy on scoop repair for those of us with lifting scoops one year now!, I read her post before is was gone and my impression was a new mould ? I am not crazy about rivets problems with stripes damage to hoods etc there seems to be aolt of people with bad scoops but I bet most are not on forum. I just cannot believe that is is still an issue when I took delivery of SGT 113 in Feb 07 and had my second scoop I thought that was the end of it, I guess not I only hope we get a fix before my warranty ends, this is my first American car in 20 years and alot of problems granted Shelbys problems but still issues SAI are you there?

This is also the first American car I've had in quite a while. However, the only problems I've had were Shelby problems. Hood pins, trunk letter loose, etc. and the scoop. No major problems and nothing to do with the basic Mustang. All, I fixed myself except for the scoop. I'm actually quite impressed with the Ford end of this deal. However, SAI has certainly had some growing pains. Others have had more issues with the stripes, shifter, etc. all of which fall under the SAI quality control realm. The one design issue with this car is the scoop and that is entirely SAI's repsonsibilty. But even here, I have to be impressed that they are trying to fix it and keep us satisfied. A little more communication is all they really need at this point. I've emailed several of the key SAI players over the last few weeks and have not gotten any response. I suppose I'm going to wait and see how the new scoop turns out before I go to my dealer but I haven't decided.

This is also the first American car I've had in quite a while. However, the only problems I've had were Shelby problems. Hood pins, trunk letter loose, etc. and the scoop. No major problems and nothing to do with the basic Mustang. All, I fixed myself except for the scoop. I'm actually quite impressed with the Ford end of this deal. However, SAI has certainly had some growing pains. Others have had more issues with the stripes, shifter, etc. all of which fall under the SAI quality control realm. The one design issue with this car is the scoop and that is entirely SAI's repsonsibilty. But even here, I have to be impressed that they are trying to fix it and keep us satisfied. A little more communication is all they really need at this point. I've emailed several of the key SAI players over the last few weeks and have not gotten any response. I suppose I'm going to wait and see how the new scoop turns out before I go to my dealer but I haven't decided.

I agree with you the Basic Ford is well put together the problems are all Shelby I am like you have fixed most myself I was a tank mechanic in Army for ten years before I retired from Army. I have seen alot of promises but no action then THE repair turned into a can of worms with stripe issues metal damage.it seems as it is costing them alot of money instead of doing all these repairs causing mre repairs just change sccop design and material used Bruce

I agree with you the Basic Ford is well put together the problems are all Shelby I am like you have fixed most myself I was a tank mechanic in Army for ten years before I retired from Army. I have seen alot of promises but no action then THE repair turned into a can of worms with stripe issues metal damage.it seems as it is costing them alot of money instead of doing all these repairs causing mre repairs just change sccop design and material used Bruce

Wow a triple post LOL. How did you do that? Can't say I would fix it though. This issue seems to deserve more attention anyway. I agree the Ford quality is OUTSTANDING, but the Shelby add on's are just not on the same level. Seems you really have to jump through hoops or know someone at SAI to get a decent response on the issues. Has really made the experience surreal. I'm not so worried about keeping my car 100% Shelby anymore. I was really intent on doing that too. My next move was going to have Quantam Performance mod shop put on a /SC, but with the customer service being handled the way it HAS been,...no thanks. :talkhand:

I was going to ask where you were!

yes, Amy posted that they figured out what caused the dip and directed that if you had the issue to go to your dealer and get a new on order.

See here:

http://forum.teamshelby.com/forums/index.p...60&start=60

Hope all is well! You are missed!

We were on a short cruise...had to get away ! :banghead:

Not much info was given on the fix. Did you find out any more info? Not sure I am willing to do another scoop yet. I also want to make sure my stripes are ok before they go ripping off this scoop..only to find the stripes buckled underneath. I really think that would put me over the edge . I am coming up on owning this car for a year , and I have spent more time at the dealership on this car than any other i have owned in my 50 years. I really am hoping this is it.

Glad I was missed........someone needs to pick on you around here. :slapfight:

i was told by shelby that the last mold was bad and that there would be reinforcement installed at the end of the scoop and this would fix the dip.they may be right but i'm like jeff,i got a good installer the last time with no stripe issues but you might not get the same installer the next time.i have requested the same installer for the next scoop and was told i could get him to do it.hope he doesn't come to work with a hangover.scoop 4 comming up.

Took "Stripes" out to the dealer this AM, nice day today for a drive, and had the pictures taken. So now we play the Ford Racing waiting game. Hopefully a new scoop will arrive soon so I can get it installed before the major shows. Hey, 4th time's a charm right? :happy feet:

Do you really want me to answer that??? :hysterical3:

har har har :slapfight:

i started new topic but i guess i posted it in wrong forum, my bad,

dealer sent pics of the pushed back striping, as well as peeling where rivets are, to ford warranty digit imaging dept. WELL they rejected it said it was the fault of body shop who installed it, myself and dealer know that is not true, i walked him to his showroom to show him his 3 08's with identical issue. he called the 702 number he had for shelby, its appears it was the parts guy who came to phone, he said they can upon receipt of scoop send new scoop and rivet set as well as stripe, dealer asked if this is the new fix, he said NO. (seemed like he had no clue of this issue) he then explained again that this issue is with the latest fix, shelby guy said to put warranty claim to ford warranty shelby division. so dealer with take this issue up the channels as he also has to now fix 3 of his cars. has anyone else actually received a fix for this rather than just replacing the scoop and stripes again the same way!! oh ya leading back to initial scoop issue the SAI guy said people can get hertz hood for 25% off is they want. I say replace the hood fully painted installed as swap/fix to these issues as an option, i;d be happy and my 1yr of problems go away, with what they have spent already on my 2 replacement scoops, stripes & labor they could have done that first and been ahead most likely.

I just had mine done also, and am having the same problem. I am so sick of Shelby so called preformance parts. Also when my scoop came in the dealer called and said I should look at it. The stripe was three shades darker than the white. I had a striper come in and match the right color, I could not handle sending it back and dealing with that whole group again on warranty work. As I was driving it home one of my linch pins on the hood broke off. They are selling some real junk and not even standing behind what they sell. The car runs great, but the should leave the rest to to people that know what they are doing. :jackinbox:

This smiley says it all :banghead:

My new hood scoop install was a failure and I'm still waiting on Ford/Shelby to resolve the issues. In no particular order:

1. Install caused hood warping on driver's side. They think the rivet caught a hood support rib or cross member.

2. Paint around some rivets is cracked or pulled. 9 total rivets have this problem. An install problem most likely.

3. Hood stripe is being ruined by the scoop. The stripes are bunching up in places around the scoop edge. I guess this is due to vibration.

Here's some sample pictures. First I'll start with the original scoop....

scoop1.jpg

scoop2.jpg

New scoop. Example of rivet problem....

rivet1.jpg

Hood tape FUBAR......

hoodtape1.jpg

hoodtape3.jpg

hoodtape4.jpg

And a nice combo picture....

scoopcorner.jpg

I couldn't get a decent picture of the hood warp but it's there. May try different lighting conditions.

It's clear that either my dealer really screwed up or the new scoop is still engineered poorly. My install was in January so I assume it's the two piece scoop (although I did not see it come out of the box). Anyway, I'm the squeaky wheel at my dealer and remain cautiously optimistic that this will eventually be fixed to my satisfaction. That said, I'm pretty certain that all of us will have long-term problems with these new scoops. Temperature changes, vibration, etc. will take it's toll. In 5 years they will all look like crap.

No word yet on what Ford/Shelby intend to do. I'll keep you updated.

I just had mine done also, and am having the same problem. I am so sick of Shelby so called preformance parts. Also when my scoop came in the dealer called and said I should look at it. The stripe was three shades darker than the white. I had a striper come in and match the right color, I could not handle sending it back and dealing with that whole group again on warranty work. As I was driving it home one of my linch pins on the hood broke off. They are selling some real junk and not even standing behind what they sell. The car runs great, but the should leave the rest to to people that know what they are doing. :jackinbox:

This is such an old subject now iit pains me to see and read about it but I must continue to comment . There is no seceret to making a hood scoop funtional or no-functional. and Shelby has always been the leader in doing this. It's being done in the Shelby tradition in South African based Superformance ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,they manage to make thousands of Cobras with perfectly beautiful hood scoops ,Just like the first Shelby Cobras , and they ony charge 46,000 for the complete car less engine and trans..........geeez I paid 45,000for this car and got a bumb-scoop.

All SAI would have to do is contract Superformance to fix this mess, hell the owners of Superformance worked for Shelby , Carol bought their Daytona Coupe, and their Cobras ...................Just walk into Hillbank Motors (Superformance Distributor in the US) in Irvine Ca. and you can see the most perfect aluminum scoops on each of the many Cobras they have there (and to think I could-a-had one) , there are solutions , and it's just money that American Corporations think about , American Car Corporations have never really respected the their customers , I have had outstanding performance from Japanese car companies on new cars , I am disappointed that a true American Icon company can't see that it's integrity is being eroded by it's lack of performance on a warranty contract with the customer .............it has C.A.L.S written all over it -----it's coming.....................ZDS

ZDS

hey how did you get photos of my car? :), i am very upset with my issues, but what really saddens me is the 2008's were sent out without really testing the new scoops and are now sitting on dealer show rooms with identical issues, this never should have happenned let alone nothing being done about it!! all i know is 1 yr of my warranty has gone and my car still not correct. what other issues will show up as time goes on, SAI just replace my hood, installed with a gt-h hood i'll be content and go away. i still can't believe ford came back to my dealer and said it was the installers fault.

This is such an old subject now iit pains me to see and read about it but I must continue to comment . There is no seceret to making a hood scoop funtional or no-functional. and Shelby has always been the leader in doing this. It's being done in the Shelby tradition in South African based Superformance ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,they manage to make thousands of Cobras with perfectly beautiful hood scoops ,Just like the first Shelby Cobras , and they ony charge 46,000 for the complete car less engine and trans..........geeez I paid 45,000for this car and got a bumb-scoop.

All SAI would have to do is contract Superformance to fix this mess, hell the owners of Superformance worked for Shelby , Carol bought their Daytona Coupe, and their Cobras ...................Just walk into Hillbank Motors (Superformance Distributor in the US) in Irvine Ca. and you can see the most perfect aluminum scoops on each of the many Cobras they have there (and to think I could-a-had one) , there are solutions , and it's just money that American Corporations think about , American Car Corporations have never really respected the their customers , I have had outstanding performance from Japanese car companies on new cars , I am disappointed that a true American Icon company can't see that it's integrity is being eroded by it's lack of performance on a warranty contract with the customer .............it has C.A.L.S written all over it -----it's coming.....................ZDS

ZDS

+1

This could have been fixed a long time ago.

Emailed Shelby warranty people to check on new hood scoop reply what new scoop are we getting lip service I for on eam not crazy about the rivet repair as Bud told me was the final repair that repair has had a whole new set of problems I say if SAI cannot fix scoop then pay for new hood I would settle for stock hood at this time with new stripes and paint forget the scoop I did not want it to begin with it serves no function I wish SAI would finish this problems I have been waiting over one year on second scoop and waiting , waiting waiting.

Archived