TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Scoop Saga...continued

I'm doubling up on the stress this week. I dropped my car off today for both the new hood scoop (1st attempt at fix) and a new shifter (rattle/vib problem). As such I'll need a double shot to calm my nerves tonight. I was able to see the new scoop as the service guy had it right at his desk still in the box. I was relieved to see that it had no unusual dips or warpage. It has the foam insert as has been discussed on previous messages. A bag full of rivets and a template of some sort filled out the remainder of the package.

I'm a little nervous at the nonchalant responses/attitude I've received when I mention that this item has garnered lots of attention amongst SGT owners (at least on this message board). I'm going to talk with the body shop personally to express my concerns over the potential damage to the stripe due to too much rivet force. I've also read stories about bad scoop/hood alignment and poor reassembly of the hood and the insulation underneath. I don't have photos but I'm right in there with the rest of the pack having a gap worthy of several baseball (or basketball if that be your preference) trading cards, and stripe with wrinkles where the scoop moved due to heat. I truly admire what Chip Beck has done. But, I'm not in a position to pursue the type of fix that he has to offer. I need to stick with warranty for now.

As for the shifter, I'll see how that one turns out and update on the appropriate forum.

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not into spending money out of my pocket for things that the dealer and Shelby should correct but i think if i have any more problems with my stripes then i'm going to just paint them,hopefully thru the Shelby warranty. The warranty guy for Shelby did tell me that they have painted the stripes on before for there customers, though this is not very often. I can see these stripes as being a continual problem in the future.

• 4 weeks later...
It's been six weeks since the new scoop/stripes were installed.The scoop has a big dip in it the paint is flaking off around the rivets,stripes are starting to wrinkle.It is still not as bad as it was.

And here in llies the problem ....................A six week fix is not acceptable .......................and eight week fix is not acceptable ............SAI can keep coming out with marginal half baked solutions a couple more times , and the Warranty is up ..........then they say .......Well we tried ..................this is why there must be a formal letter of Re - call on SAI Letterhead .............this is what honors the promise made by the Warranty ...........................in 36 months they are absolved of responsibily if a document is not issued.

Like I said I will be the first to say thankyou for a fix even if it is late , late , late .....................but do somthing for us the "customer "give us the respect ,and the "get out of jail card " that garraunties this issue will be covered , and corrected by Shelby Inc. , no other entity can be resoponsible for this defect , so why not step up and do the ethical thing .......................write the letter that says SAI will fix it.

Zale Schuster

30 years from now all the rage will be how accurate you can reproduce the old hood scoop issues so that it looks totally factory correct! Unmolested cars with original "issue" scoops will be more desirable to the savy collectors... just joking, but sounds pretty predictable doesn't it? Makes me think of the ugly fit of the Plymouth Superbird nose cones...the pinnacle of misfit plastic crap.

30 years from now all the rage will be how accurate you can reproduce the old hood scoop issues so that it looks totally factory correct! Unmolested cars with original "issue" scoops will be more desirable to the savy collectors... just joking, but sounds pretty predictable doesn't it? Makes me think of the ugly fit of the Plymouth Superbird nose cones...the pinnacle of misfit plastic crap.

+1 I seriously think you are right, also I have drip on my trunk edge paint I have documented for some fool in the future....hahaha!!! Dont forget the chalk mark on the undercarrage or the "x" on the trunk weatherstrip in the center all stangs I have seen have it....

+1 I seriously think you are right, also I have drip on my trunk edge paint I have documented for some fool in the future....hahaha!!! Dont forget the chalk mark on the undercarrage or the "x" on the trunk weatherstrip in the center all stangs I have seen have it....

Ok, does anyone know what the "X" is used for?

LOL your probably right!

And here in llies the problem ....................A six week fix is not acceptable .......................and eight week fix is not acceptable ............SAI can keep coming out with marginal half baked solutions a couple more times , and the Warranty is up ..........then they say .......Well we tried ..................this is why there must be a formal letter of Re - call on SAI Letterhead .............this is what honors the promise made by the Warranty ...........................in 36 months they are absolved of responsibily if a document is not issued.

Like I said I will be the first to say thankyou for a fix even if it is late , late , late .....................but do somthing for us the "customer "give us the respect ,and the "get out of jail card " that garraunties this issue will be covered , and corrected by Shelby Inc. , no other entity can be resoponsible for this defect , so why not step up and do the ethical thing .......................write the letter that says SAI will fix it.

Zale Schuster

From the many posts on this subject and other's on different issues, it appears that some, are Not Having a 'good time', with the High Performance ' side of your Automobile experience. I'm old enough to remember when, anything Custom, High Performance, "Ricky Racer" Custom, type of Car type 'Stuff" did not come with any warranty, and even so, we were as happy as 'Ducks in water' to get the 'Go Fast Tricked out stuff", anyway.

I believe, that All of the people, that work at or for Shelby are committed to their craft. Just like in the 60's, Shelby, is 'pushing' the limits of speed, design and performance, each and every day. The process is ever evolving, trying for the BEST. That's how, design is achieved, great cars are produced, races are won and how Shelby Legends are created. We are all involved with Shelby Cars, that's why we are here on this website, We all, share the joy of speed and performance, that is created by Shelby Automobiles. My opinion; on issues of Hood scoops and others; "Kick back, have a cold glass of ice water, and have FUN". It will be OK, things can be fixed, and in the process maybe improved. How cool is that. Life is not a perfect journey, but in any SHELBY, It's a great ride !!!! :shift:

Archived