TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Scoop Saga...continued

What would make me happy is for SAI to go ahead and start taking appointments for SGT owners to bring their scoops to Vegas and get it fixed. This is not a hard thing to do. I understand they are plenty booked right now, but a date would go a long ways for me.

I plan on going there someday anyway and if I had a date that I knew it would be fixed, I would be cool. I'm sure I'd spend alot of money that I don't have too on other things too(like a S/C).

I personally would not like to have whatever fix may come done at a dealership with all the crappy jobs I've seen. I'd rather have it done at SAI as most other work to be done to my car that I would not do myself.

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply
could some please post pic's of the unside of the hood & how this attaches. From my understanding rivets were used to secure it to the hood. are some of you saying it has something like 3/8" bolts holding it on?

It use to....the original scoops had a flap underneath that had bolts that attached to the hood. The new scoops are riveted all the way around.

Hey MAP, where are you? We need some pics of your scoop and hood here!

Folks, MAP had his scoop done with stainless bolts instead of rivets. This allowed more control of the torque applied and the scoop looked good, but according to one of his earlier posts, he still had slight hood warpage and the new scoop crease.

He was going to try a "doubler" (on the underside of the hood) to spread the load of the bolts, but I haven't seen him post in awhile...

I'm like others, still sitting on the fence waiting for a proper fix. My scoop has begun to lift on the back corners and one of the fake rivets has that wrinkled-vinyl look to it.

The doubler idea sounds promising and I'm tempted to find a sheet of aluminum, massage it into the shape of the hood, and use the existing bolts/scoop to attach it to the underside of the hood.

My old Mustang II "Cobra" had a cheap plastic scoop and it fit better than this one!

SEF

AKA:

I had my 08 SGT delivered to my house Jan 30 and this is exactly how my tape looks as well - I am so irritated over this. I will call my dealer next week to see what they can do but I don't trust them to touch it. I barely trust my husband to drive this car. Of course the dealer has been awesome up to now and claims to be the #2 seller of mustangs in colorado and I have yet to take my car back to them for warranty issues so my non-trust is completely unwarranted. But still - she's so precious to me! What if it comes back worse?!?!? I never liked this hood scoop and prefer the GT-H's hood instead but I just can't spend the additional $1600 right now to swap it out.

Anyways, ShelbyDude, did you contact your dealer regarding your tape issue? If so, what did they say?

I am the dealer. This car is sitting on the showroom floor. I just noticed this and took some pics. So Monday I will have to have our service department submit a claim to get this fixed.

Yeah, but it's WAY WAY too small for the car. I've always thought that from the first day I saw it I was like "why bother" it's anemic looking. Personally the worst excuse for a non-functional scoop I have ever seen. Please anything but this!

Do you think I feel passionately about this?

LOL.... :hysterical:

Jeff,

Yes I do see that you are passionate about this. I typed up a long reply to your post, but deleted it all after I calmed down. :banghead:

When you get time could you go out and measure your mammoth size hood scoop. I am curious how big it is compared to my little dinky scoop. Mine is 15" wide X 21" long X 1-3/4" tall.

Htis hood scoop issue is getting old I have had my SGT since Feb 07 and Had one scoop replaced at my expence because I do not trust dealer, paid for install at hgih end body shop in WI. Have sent messages to SAI and was told by Bud that rivet repair was final end of story, am I gald I did not listen to Bud and have repair done, this contant mess is poor I did not want to take delivery because but SAI assured me it would be taken care of? The scoop needs to have contour the present sccop is crap enouth said. I also looked at new SGT on lot and it looks like crap the stripes are damaged which the stripe quality is a whole other story. I guess I do not understand I I hear in everything I read about is quality checks on these cars if so my car with scoop and stripes problem never should have left factory, now I look at 08 see same problem? SAI what gives they get mad at me when I email my concerns or call but it is our money we spent on these cars nit thiers my brother has sold his because of too many problems I may be next Shelby loyalty will only go so far we both have Shelbys from 60s so we like cars but conatant problems with a NEW car is getting old again I am so glad I did not listen to Bud and have repair done I will wait with next final reair to see if problem is fixed, sorry for long post but ths situation is out of control Bruce

What would make me happy is for SAI to go ahead and start taking appointments for SGT owners to bring their scoops to Vegas and get it fixed. This is not a hard thing to do. I understand they are plenty booked right now, but a date would go a long ways for me.

I plan on going there someday anyway and if I had a date that I knew it would be fixed, I would be cool. I'm sure I'd spend alot of money that I don't have too on other things too(like a S/C).

I personally would not like to have whatever fix may come done at a dealership with all the crappy jobs I've seen. I'd rather have it done at SAI as most other work to be done to my car that I would not do myself.

umm...SAI replaced my scoop with the riveted fix, and it has the big dipper in the front.

There are no rivet holes on the hood. Those are fake rivets which is why the scoop buckles.

Not a fan of the CS hood. Just opinion but a non-buckled SGT hood scoop is bad a$$.

i was under the impression these replacement scoops are riveted, which is why they now sit so flush i even saw the rivet set!!

unfortunately these 08's coming direct from sai have same issue, i cannot see this happening just in the truck or train ride to customer so they obviously are not checking them 100% for quality control before loading

I think shelby should give you guys the option of the GT-H hood at cost.the scoop is pathetic :redcard:

cost!!! what happened to lemon laws, i'm on my 3rd scoop, this should be recall and the gh-t scoop should be the fix option at no charge, sometimes it takes class action to get things done. FYI i saw the 08 s calif version gt they put on the crappy 07 scoops and hood pins, looked terrible

cost!!! what happened to lemon laws, i'm on my 3rd scoop, this should be recall and the gh-t scoop should be the fix option at no charge, sometimes it takes class action to get things done. FYI i saw the 08 s calif version gt they put on the crappy 07 scoops and hood pins, looked terrible

IS it time to get everyone together and start a class action suite ............................. anyone one know any leagal firms that would enjoy taking this one ?...............................

lemon law???? for what a crappy piece of plastic that has no function to the vehicles overall operation.anymore effort put into messing with these scoops is a big waste of your energy.a class action lawsuit will take half a decade to resolve.I would sudjest taking amy up on her offer or make them repair the hood without the stupid scoop.the later seems like the best solution.a little bit of filler, new stripes and your done.if there were no stripes on the car the latest rivet fix would have done the trick.my freind with a SGT hasnt worried to much about the fix because he forseen no good method of making the scoop fit flush without stripe issues.so he leaves it the way it came and enjoys his car.it still looks great and from 5 feet away you cant tell its not perfectly flush.

...if there were no stripes on the car the latest rivet fix would have done the trick...

Not exactly - the stripe could be modified so that the scoop doesn't touch any striping, but some Owner's w/ the rivet fix are also finding that their scoops are developing a crease in the top. The striping should be modified so that there is no striping (i.e., the stiping has an opening) where the scoop is. Then the scoop should be aluminum (best solution), or, if it must be made of the current material, it must be manufactured so that it has the same curvature as the hood, to prevent forcing a striaight scoop to fit the curve and therefore causing the crease.

I have also left my original scoop as is. Until a fix is developed that I see proven that it works, I will not change it. At least I know what I have now and, like your friends, one kind of has to know about and look for the imperfections to find them. The scoop looks worst when its cold out, but since I rarely drive in the winter...

Not exactly - the stripe could be modified so that the scoop doesn't touch any striping, but some Owner's w/ the rivet fix are also finding that their scoops are developing a crease in the top. The striping should be modified so that there is no striping (i.e., the stiping has an opening) where the scoop is. Then the scoop should be aluminum (best solution), or, if it must be made of the current material, it must be manufactured so that it has the same curvature as the hood, to prevent forcing a striaight scoop to fit the curve and therefore causing the crease.

I have also left my original scoop as is. Until a fix is developed that I see proven that it works, I will not change it. At least I know what I have now and, like your friends, one kind of has to know about and look for the imperfections to find them. The scoop looks worst when its cold out, but since I rarely drive in the winter...

Even with the big dipper on my scoop, it is a great improvement over the last 2 scoops.

ilmor---my scoop looked great in the garage but when i took it out on a warm day recently it got a big dip at the front of the scoop .i felt the scoop and it was hot from the sun beaming down on it.lots of people live in colder climate than me here in houston but wait till you warm up and you will see what i am talking about.shelby told me that the next generation scoop will be made of the same material but have reinforcement at the end of the scoop where there is the dip.bud said scoop should be out in about a month.don't give shelby a free ride on this scoop.if mine is a problem then i'm sure everyone elses' will be sooner or later.these scoops can't take the heat and mine was riveted on real well.i just don't like the idea of dealer drilling the rivets out to replace scoop next time.everything else looked good on scoop.good luck.

ilmor---my scoop looked great in the garage but when i took it out on a warm day recently it got a big dip at the front of the scoop .i felt the scoop and it was hot from the sun beaming down on it.lots of people live in colder climate than me here in houston but wait till you warm up and you will see what i am talking about.shelby told me that the next generation scoop will be made of the same material but have reinforcement at the end of the scoop where there is the dip.bud said scoop should be out in about a month.don't give shelby a free ride on this scoop.if mine is a problem then i'm sure everyone elses' will be sooner or later.these scoops can't take the heat and mine was riveted on real well.i just don't like the idea of dealer drilling the rivets out to replace scoop next time.everything else looked good on scoop.good luck.

I believe if they use the same material again, the reinforcement will only serve to move the crease or bend to another location. The scoop is simply expanding and contracting at different rates than the aluminum hood. It will still fail somewhere. It seems that SAI keeps trying the bandaid approach to no avail. The correct solution would be an aluminum scoop or whatever they are really using on the Cobras (I have not heard of them having issues). Or, at least a scoop made from the same material, with the same sort of fastening, as the current Mustang GT scoop, with the SGT scoop appearance of course.

I believe if they use the same material again, the reinforcement will only serve to move the crease or bend to another location. The scoop is simply expanding and contracting at different rates than the aluminum hood. It will still fail somewhere. It seems that SAI keeps trying the bandaid approach to no avail. The correct solution would be an aluminum scoop or whatever they are really using on the Cobras (I have not heard of them having issues). Or, at least a scoop made from the same material, with the same sort of fastening, as the current Mustang GT scoop, with the SGT scoop appearance of course.

you are right. plus i personally dont like the rivet attachment. only good if the guy drilling holes and putting in the rivets really knows what he is doing. too big a learning curve. I had a Formula Continental (like a Formula Ford) once and everything on that car was riveted on, what a pain. hard to rivet aluminum without distorting the base material.

I never had my original scoop fixed, still have the original warped one. the thing changed before my eyes last summer after i washed it and let it set out in the sun. it also changes in the garage slightly when it gets colder (MI winter)

I will wait a while myself, but i am disappointed that I have to stare at the warped scoop every time I drive......

This smiley says it all :banghead:

My new hood scoop install was a failure and I'm still waiting on Ford/Shelby to resolve the issues. In no particular order:

1. Install caused hood warping on driver's side. They think the rivet caught a hood support rib or cross member.

2. Paint around some rivets is cracked or pulled. 9 total rivets have this problem. An install problem most likely.

3. Hood stripe is being ruined by the scoop. The stripes are bunching up in places around the scoop edge. I guess this is due to vibration.

I couldn't get a decent picture of the hood warp but it's there. May try different lighting conditions.

It's clear that either my dealer really screwed up or the new scoop is still engineered poorly. My install was in January so I assume it's the two piece scoop (although I did not see it come out of the box). Anyway, I'm the squeaky wheel at my dealer and remain cautiously optimistic that this will eventually be fixed to my satisfaction. That said, I'm pretty certain that all of us will have long-term problems with these new scoops. Temperature changes, vibration, etc. will take it's toll. In 5 years they will all look like crap.

No word yet on what Ford/Shelby intend to do. I'll keep you updated.

curious has anyone had a fix yet from ford/sai for issue shown in the pics. wondering if they have figured a true solution to prevent from occurring again. im guessing maybe up to 50%+ of the 08's have this issue based on % of problems i saw with the 08's on dealer lots i visited

curious has anyone had a fix yet from ford/sai for issue shown in the pics. wondering if they have figured a true solution to prevent from occurring again. im guessing maybe up to 50%+ of the 08's have this issue based on % of problems i saw with the 08's on dealer lots i visited

no news, no web info, nothing

Hey......

Maybe you guys should start your own dance.......

How about..." THE SCOOP WARP "

"lets do the scoop warp again.....lets do the scoop warp aaaaagain.......

It's just a jump to the left......and then a step to the rrrrrright.....

Go replace your scoop......we've got it fixed just rrrrrright......

it's the rivets and dip..........that really drives you insa ay ay ay ain......

L e t s d o t h e s c o o p w a r p a g a i n n n n n n n n n

l e t s d o t h e s c o o p w a r p a g a i n n n nn n n n n n n

Sorry guys but I thought a little levity might be in order..lol..

thats pretty creative actually. I think if this was some issue other than the scoop (right there where you have to look at it every time you drive) we could forget about it...

I was hoping that someone with video and graphics talent could make a video of the scoop flipping and flopping and creasing and deforming!!! They could put your song in the background.

I was hoping that someone with video and graphics talent could make a video of the scoop flipping and flopping and creasing and deforming!!! They could put your song in the background.

Could,and would possibly be funny,but more than likely would be counter-productive.

Personally I'm dissapointed with the lack of quality control regarding the hood scoop and other minor mods,and the rush job to get the car to market.

It's wifeys car,so in that regard if she's satisfied,that's all that matters!

Could,and would possibly be funny,but more than likely would be counter-productive.

Personally I'm dissapointed with the lack of quality control regarding the hood scoop and other minor mods,and the rush job to get the car to market.

It's wifeys car,so in that regard if she's satisfied,that's all that matters!

+

I think Amy offered us a 25% discount off the unpainted/uninstalled hood.

the tape around my hood scoop is wrinkled too and i'm pretty upset about it.

is it true amy offered 25% off an unpainted/uninstalled gt-h hood? was that only for the 07's? i love that gt-h hood but fear it'll detract from my car's value down the road (not trying to start the investment vs driver debate here!!).

besides what am i going to do with an unpainted/uninstalled hood? it's $1600 painted and installed form SAI. how about 25% off painted/installed!!

this is only happening around the rivets in the back of the scoop:

0224081139a_small.jpg

the tape around my hood scoop is wrinkled too and i'm pretty upset about it.

is it true amy offered 25% off an unpainted/uninstalled gt-h hood? was that only for the 07's? i love that gt-h hood but fear it'll detract from my car's value down the road (not trying to start the investment vs driver debate here!!).

besides what am i going to do with an unpainted/uninstalled hood? it's $1600 painted and installed form SAI. how about 25% off painted/installed!!

this is only happening around the rivets in the back of the scoop:

0224081139a_small.jpg

Just ran into Dig-it this weekend and his hood on his 08 did the same and so did my 08. I had noticed it but was not sure what it was when I picked the car up this Friday and Saturday I was informed of what it was. I went to my dealer today and they told me to come back tomorrow. I took time stamped photos on Saturday and put them on a CD for my dealer....

Archived