TEAM SHELBY FORUM

First Oil Change

FarFromStock

It's been about 5 weeks and 787 miles since the car was delivered so I thought I would give it its first oil change. It took me over an hour just to get it up on the lift because I wanted to make sure I had the correct lift points. Fortunately, I searched here at TS and found the information on the proper lift points.

gallery_18594_353_124208.jpg

gallery_18594_353_440772.jpg

gallery_18594_353_364375.jpg

I allowed all of the oil to drain through a paint strainer just to make sure nothing was up inside. Looks clean to me!

gallery_18594_353_625275.jpg

I used aluminum foil to keep the suspension components from getting oil all over them when I removed the filter.

gallery_18594_353_832603.jpg

gallery_18594_353_267438.jpg

I found it odd that the factory filter is not Motorcraft and has no markings or manufaturer information!

gallery_18594_353_179405.jpg

gallery_18594_353_199220.jpg

I installed the new Motorcraft filter after filling it with fresh oil (it takes about 1/2 a quart BTW).

gallery_18594_353_312729.jpg

Added 6 more quarts of 5W-50.

gallery_18594_353_282525.jpg

Started her up and made sure there was pressure and no leaks. Checked the dip stick and it read mid way on the hash marks. All in all a pretty good day. Not one drop of oil spilled either! It's a great feeling to do my own maintenance and not have to leave it with someone that might not care as much about the car as I do. :happy feet:

Nice setup you have there in the garage; that lift is quite a luxury. I built some ramps out of stepped 2 x 10s to do my first oil change. As careful as I tried to be, I ended up getting oil all over the place. I tried to use a plastic grocery bag over the filter but it didn't work too good. I will try your foil trick next time.

That's the same generic un-labeled filter that came off my car. Perhaps it's cheaper in large quantities for Ford to use that type of filter on their production line.

I agree with you 100%, I would never trust a shop with changing my oil - in any of my cars; I have had nothing but problems when someone else changed the oil.

Would you happen to have any photos showing the lift points that you used?

Nice setup you have there in the garage; that lift is quite a luxury.

Thanks! I decided to get it installed when I exploded a driveshaft on my turbocharged F150 while it was on the dyno. It took out the transmission and I couldn't see replacing it on my back with the truck up on jack stands. Fortunately, the previous owners of the house built the garage with high ceilings which made the lift an easy install. I think they intended to park an RV in the bay that I have the lift.

gallery_18594_353_99396.jpg

Would you happen to have any photos showing the lift points that you used?

:redcard: Like a dumbass I didn't take any pictures of the lift contact points. I'll get some this weekend though and post them up.

Thanks! No need to take new pictures - you mentioned there was another topic that described them - a pointer would be OK.

Thanks!

See page 2 of this file and print it. Put it in your glove box or manual. I went to the trouble of locating the main pad points on the unibody frame and painted red dots the size of a quarter at the locations so I will not forget where they are at.

http://home.comcast.net/~kjobrien/Vehicle_...s__S7Z06A12.pdf

I would give my eye teeth to have a lift like that for mine. I just took mine to a large dealership here in Atlanta that has serviced my vehicles before. I was having the oil changed at the 500 mile mark as I always do on my vehicles. They over filled the oil and I had to take it back to have it corrected. I told them to complete redo the oil change so that I could be sure there is exactly 6 qts of oil in the motor. The mechanic came out and said he put 6.5 qts in it - he obviously thought this was a GT500 not a SGT.

They brought it back out and said they drained about a quart out for me. GEE THANKS!! Now I have no idea how much oil is in the car.

I asked for the Service manager, and he was "Unavailable". I couldnt wait any longer to get to work, so I left and called the General Manager of the dealership. He agreed immediately to completely redo the entire oil change as well as pay for my gas to get there!

Yes, I would give my eye teeth for a lift like that one.

Did I mention that they pulled the hood release without taking out the hood pins right in front of me??!!! :censored:

See page 2 of this file and print it. Put it in your glove box or manual. I went to the trouble of locating the main pad points on the unibody frame and painted red dots the size of a quarter at the locations so I will not forget where they are at.

Awesome! Exactly what I was looking for!

Many thanks!

IMO that figure for the Mustang does not represent the S197 chassis, even though the dates on it would imply that it applies. Several others on this site have mentioned this observation.

They over filled the oil and I had to take it back to have it corrected. I told them to complete redo the oil change so that I could be sure there is exactly 6 qts of oil in the motor. The mechanic came out and said he put 6.5 qts in it - he obviously thought this was a GT500 not a SGT.

If the mechanic thought your car was a GT500, is there any chance he filled it with 5W-50 oil that the 5.4L takes instead of the 5W-20 for the 4.6L? :redcard:

IMO that figure for the Mustang does not represent the S197 chassis, even though the dates on it would imply that it applies. Several others on this site have mentioned this observation.

I used the drawing to locate the built in unibody jack pads. The drawing helped me find them.

I installed the new Motorcraft filter after filling it with fresh oil (it takes about 1/2 a quart BTW).

gallery_18594_353_312729.jpg

I am amazed at how small the oil filter for this car is! I would expect the filter to be a little longer or ideally for the engine to have two small filters.

I was told by the Ford dealership that the stock oil filter used on the Shelby GT500 is actually Ford's Racing High Performance oil filter (?). The Motorcraft FL820s.

CM-6731-FL820

m-6731-fl820.jpg

Anyone have any experience with the Mobil 1 High Efficiency oil filter?

"The Mobil 1 High Efficiency Oil Filter is the most advanced oil filter available for consumers today, offering unsurpassed filter durability and exceptional filtration capability. When used with Mobil 1 Synthetic Engine Oil, this filter provides the ultimate in engine wear and cleanliness protection. Mobil 1 Oil Filters remove more contaminants via a substantial improvement in multiple pass filter efficiency (95% vs. 80% for conventional filters) by using a synthetic fiber media. It also offers significant improvements in filter durability, both in hydrostatic pressure testing (steadily increasing pressures) and in cyclic pressure impulse testing.

The Mobil 1 High Efficiency Oil Filter outperforms conventional filters by 2.5 to 1 in hydrostatic testing, and by 3 to 1 in cyclic pressure impulse testing. Reduces resistance to oil flow while improving filter efficiency. Easier removal of the filter at the end of its useful life (less straining with the oil filter wrench) based on use of a special gasket that requires less torque at installation. The Mobil 1 Oil Filter is available in a wide variety of sizes to accommodate a broad range of consumer automobiles and light trucks."

Picture: http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/rodi_1986_22049799

Anyone have any experience with the Mobil 1 High Efficiency oil filter?

"The Mobil 1 High Efficiency Oil Filter is the most advanced oil filter available for consumers today, offering unsurpassed filter durability and exceptional filtration capability. When used with Mobil 1 Synthetic Engine Oil, this filter provides the ultimate in engine wear and cleanliness protection. Mobil 1 Oil Filters remove more contaminants via a substantial improvement in multiple pass filter efficiency (95% vs. 80% for conventional filters) by using a synthetic fiber media. It also offers significant improvements in filter durability, both in hydrostatic pressure testing (steadily increasing pressures) and in cyclic pressure impulse testing.

The Mobil 1 High Efficiency Oil Filter outperforms conventional filters by 2.5 to 1 in hydrostatic testing, and by 3 to 1 in cyclic pressure impulse testing. Reduces resistance to oil flow while improving filter efficiency. Easier removal of the filter at the end of its useful life (less straining with the oil filter wrench) based on use of a special gasket that requires less torque at installation. The Mobil 1 Oil Filter is available in a wide variety of sizes to accommodate a broad range of consumer automobiles and light trucks."

Picture: http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/rodi_1986_22049799

The Mobil 1 filters are excellent quality products. They are built by Purolator to standard above thier own brand PureOne line. They use the same synthetic media as the PureOne but add a silicone gasket for low torque install and removal and a slightly heavier wall housing. There are some other changes too, all for the better. Its a top line product that commands a top line price. If the price does not deter you, the filter is an excellent product. Now if all that does you any good for your money.....

The Mobil 1 filters are excellent quality products. They are built by Purolator to standard above thier own brand PureOne line. They use the same synthetic media as the PureOne but add a silicone gasket for low torque install and removal and a slightly heavier wall housing. There are some other changes too, all for the better. Its a top line product that commands a top line price. If the price does not deter you, the filter is an excellent product. Now if all that does you any good for your money.....

Thanks for the information mate!

I am currently experiencing with various oil filters and bought one of the Mobil 1 HE filters for $11.00.

Definitely looks better than the stock factory filter (?) and the Motorcraft FL820.

It seems that the way different oil filters are made is basically the same, the difference is in the quality of the components.

I'll let folks know the results.

"The Purolators are a lot of filter for the money. It uses a metal clasp to hold the paper-element seam together. The filter is of good quality, and you can't go wrong with this group. The Mobil 1 filter is superior to other filters with a synthetic filtering media. If I could definitely say that a filter had superior filtering ability this could definitely influence the choice of which is best."

Interesting link -> http://www.corolland.com/oil-filters.html

• 3 weeks later...

They use the unmarked filters for factory filters....That way when your engine blows up and the feild engineer looks at the filter and sees the factory one still in place he will ask to see your oil change records...Believe me I have seen it. Also a half quart over is not going to hurt you engine. They probably use a dispensor that has a counter on it and it's not fully accurate, But they still should of checked the stick..Be happy they did put oil in it, have seen them leave the shop with out oil before... This is FORD's master plan to have cheap labor ie: unskilled/kids do all maint on Ford vehicles and have the qualified Master mechanics perform major or warranty repairs only... The customer loses in this plan and gives dealer mechanic a bad rap.We are the mechanics that "all" shops tow vehicles too that they can't fix, but you'll never here about it...

• 1 month later...

There is a lot of difference between the Motorcraft FL820 and the Ford Racing CM6731-FL820, which is the one to be used in the GT500. The can itself is a lot heavier, it has a silicone gasket and the filter media is made of synthetic materials. If you want a better filter for your other Ford vehicles it can be used in place of the Motorcraft FL820.

Archived