TEAM SHELBY FORUM

No more SGTs to be made.

sudden

In an earlier post Amy confirmed that the 07 and 08 SGT will not be made again. Wow if only the GT500 owners knew this the prices of the SGTs would have sky rocketted. I was reading their grips and apparently the reason why the high ADMs on GT 500s were because they were told by the dealers that they would be only made for 2 years, 07 and 08. Everyone wanted one and paid the price. I hear that they will be made until futher notice and 2010 and maybe beyound. The SGT did not sell very well and they cut production way down in 08 with none being made after this year. SAI is now building off the GT500 platform for now and in the near future. This all means that if you own a SGT you got what the gt500 owners wanted. This is all kind of ironic. SGTs will be the rareist of the new Shelbys. Worth more? Who knows what the dealers will ask when there just a few left. GT500, common as trees. Interesting how it all turned out. Sudden.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We do need to thank the GT500 owners for clouding the market for us. Not taking away ANYTHING from that car as even with the $15K markup is WELL worth it.

Congrats SGT owners. We have beaten the dealers this time by not paying premiums on a rare, limited edition Shelby mustang. :headspin:

In an earlier post Amy confirmed that the 07 and 08 SGT will not be made again. Wow if only the GT500 owners knew this the prices of the SGTs would have sky rocketted. I was reading their grips and apparently the reason why the high ADMs on GT 500s were because they were told by the dealers that they would be only made for 2 years, 07 and 08. Everyone wanted one and paid the price. I hear that they will be made until futher notice and 2010 and maybe beyound. The SGT did not sell very well and they cut production way down in 08 with none being made after this year. SAI is now building off the GT500 platform for now and in the near future. This all means that if you own a SGT you got what the gt500 owners wanted. This is all kind of ironic. SGTs will be the rareist of the new Shelbys. Worth more? Who knows what the dealers will ask when there just a few left. GT500, common as trees. Interesting how it all turned out. Sudden.

Hey there,

Of course there wont be an 07 and 08 SGT again - there wont be any 07 or 08 Mustangs again :hysterical2::hysterical2::hysterical2::hysterical2:

They probably wont do an SGT again because in all reality I dont think it did as well as expected. They are still sitting on dealership lots unsold.

Page

Of course there wont be an 07 and 08 SGT again - there wont be any 07 or 08 Mustangs again :hysterical2::hysterical2::hysterical2::hysterical2:

They probably wont do an SGT again because in all reality I dont think it did as well as expected. They are still sitting on dealership lots unsold.

Page

I don't know the reasons why there will be no 09 SGT but the slow sales I think can be attributed to the fact that Ford never really knew what to do with the car and how to position it. They did almost no marketing for the car with most sales word or mouth or foot traffic. They printed a few posters, created an ad that maybe ran a few times, finally for 08' they had a few magazine ads in Mustang magazines, but it was never given the attention it needed to generate demand or the sales training and support to close business. A quick trip to Ford's web site will show you how even today, in the Mustang section, you will find NO mention of the SGT in the Mustang lineup. The new Bullitt is there but no SGT. If you do a search on dealer web you will see that the SGTs are listed as a simple GT and the price reflecting only the Ford Job 1 MSRP. Add to this the fact that many dealers lost the chance for early sales by placing unrealistic markups/ADM on the cars and you almost have a perfect storm in regards to slowing sales and preventing any momentum.

In short, while I agree the 07 run was more than needed, I think overall sales could have been MUCH higher had Ford made a greater effort to promote the car and dealers had not looked at the car with GT5$$ glasses on.

PERSONAL OPINION!

guys.....geez..........................

The Shelby GT is a great car, the GT500 is a great ca, all ford mustang shelby's are great cars, why do we always do this "mine is bigger and better then yours" ?

I have both, I love them both, I never tell one he's better then his brother......... :hysterical2:

Amy

The Shelby GT is a great car, the GT500 is a great ca, all ford mustang shelby's are great cars, why do we always do this "mine is bigger and better then yours" ?

I have both, I love them both, I never tell one he's better then his brother......... :hysterical2:

Amy

Tommy Smothers of the Smothers brothers: "Mom did always like you best!" :hysterical:

I don't know the reasons why there will be no 09 SGT but the slow sales I think can be attributed to the fact that Ford never really knew what to do with the car and how to position it. They did almost no marketing for the car with most sales word or mouth or foot traffic. They printed a few posters, created an ad that maybe ran a few times, finally for 08' they had a few magazine ads in Mustang magazines, but it was never given the attention it needed to generate demand or the sales training and support to close business. A quick trip to Ford's web site will show you how even today, in the Mustang section, you will find NO mention of the SGT in the Mustang lineup. The new Bullitt is there but no SGT. If you do a search on dealer web you will see that the SGTs are listed as a simple GT and the price reflecting only the Ford Job 1 MSRP. Add to this the fact that many dealers lost the chance for early sales by placing unrealistic markups/ADM on the cars and you almost have a perfect storm in regards to slowing sales and preventing any momentum.

In short, while I agree the 07 run was more than needed, I think overall sales could have been MUCH higher had Ford made a greater effort to promote the car and dealers had not looked at the car with GT5$$ glasses on.

PERSONAL OPINION!

Hey there,

I have to agree with you 100% on that one. When the SGT first came out, I worked in new car sales for a local Ford dealership (I had way to many positions in the year I was there) J The dealership is a rather large Ford dealer in So Cal. There was no hoopla about the car – nothing special. The only thing they did was to put one on the showroom floor. The others that were delivered went out on the lot with the rest of the Mustangs. None of the other sales guys on the lot had a clue about any of the upgrades that were done by SAI – or for that matter who SAI is even. Even worse, this dealership not only didn’t have any literature on the SGT – they never received any written materials about the GT500 either.

If ya wanna move something that has some specialty value to it (and I believe the SGT does) ya HAVE to market it. Word of mouth marketing just doesn’t cut it.

Page

Where is this posted confirmation? I can't find it :doh:

The SGT could have had more HP when developed but it is still an extremely nice ride and I love mine. There is not another one like mine that I know of or have ever seen in my area, that is what I like. A car that everybody and his brother does not have.

I did alot of running around in mine today...and wow does this car still get the looks even one year later ! I am approaching 8000 miles and it drives as tight as the day I bought it.

I got a kick out of an elderly couple today behind me at a light...I could tell he was reading my decklid..and I could see him say Shelby to his wife. Then he went on yacking to his wife and pointing to the car. I am sure he was remembering his days of being a Carroll Shelby fan !

I love all of them !!!! :happy feet:

I did alot of running around in mine today...and wow does this car still get the looks even one year later ! I am approaching 8000 miles and it drives as tight as the day I bought it.

I got a kick out of an elderly couple today behind me at a light...I could tell he was reading my decklid..and I could see him say Shelby to his wife. Then he went on yacking to his wife and pointing to the car. I am sure he was remembering his days of being a Carroll Shelby fan !

I love all of them !!!! :happy feet:

oh come on...you know it's you they're looking at!

:roses:

I am glad to hear they are not making it for 2009.

My take on the sales is the GT500 got all the Shelby HYPE because it was the first one to the dance. If the Shelby GT came out first it would have sold out in no time. That said, I am glad it did not because I one reason I bought it is because I like having unique, rare cars.

Amy

Yes, Amy, but mother's are supposed to love their children equally! I'd probably tell them they were better than that Chevelle, though! :hysterical2:

Archived