TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Who bought their SGT as an investment only?

TheKurgan

I bought my Shelby to drive her. If I get my money out of her(time will tell) Ill be shocked. But for now Im enjoying the ride. I have a customer with a 70 boss 302 and it gets pushed on and off a trailer. Never ever driven. What I would give just to listen to her sing in all 4 gears.

LOL...maybe it's all show and no go! Sometimes when I see that I wonder if the car even starts!

:hysterical:

When i bought my 07 Shelby GT I drove the heck out of it!I loved the way it drove,The way it looked and sounded,Though the flowmasters sounded better!When I regrettably had to sell it during my divorce they had to pry the keys out of my hands!Now that things are back on track i've bought myself a divorce present in the form of an 08 Bullitt,Let me tell you after only three days of ownership,Steve McQueen ain't got nothing on me!Invest in fun!You will live longer.For those of you that bought it as an investment I say good for you but don't cry when you see me burnin' rubber and having an awesome time!

Not a daily driver...more of a toy for me. Definitely not an investment...too old (mid 40) to ever see any meaningful return.

Ran across this eBay listing...kind of sad when you read the description. the owner paid 60K, never drove it, stored it in a special garage, selling it a year later for what should be a big lost. You can follow the link but check out the write up.

eBay listing

HISTORY/DISCLOSURE: Of the original 6000 cars produced only 3500 were of the black w/silver stripe variety. This car is CSM 774 or the 774th car produced in 2007. The early production number cars [under 1000] at the time all sold before they were even built at typically a minimum of twice the sticker price and often more. It is well documented that an early 2007 Shelby GT-H model sold at EAA AirVenture for $250K and a 2008 example for $600K. Early production number cars that are in pristine condition, such as this one, will be worth a small fortune in the not too distant future. The example offered here sold in July 2007 for $60K through Ronnie Thompson Ford Mercury in Ellijay, GA to its one and only owner. It was purchased as an investment and NOT as a driver. Although titled, it has never been driven and has been kept in its own private garage as seen in the photos. Every imaginable piece of documentation is included with this car and is compiled within plastic protective sleeves in a hardcover binder. This includes all original window stickers from the dealership and from the Shelby facility in Las Vegas as well as manuals, brochures and photos. The floorboards are plastic protected and the original Shelby signature floormats are still in original plastic and stored in the trunk of the car. When the doors are opened there is that wonderful new car smell and the perfume of fresh leather. This car is flawless and pristine in every respect and in AS NEW condition. This car has been garaged and cloth covered since it was purchased and shows 40 total miles. NOTE: The car was not washed or detailed for these photos so there is a slight bit of dust evidenced in the photos. This is an exceptional 2007 FORD SHELBY GT that will make a new owner proud and provide a substantial return on investment. The new owner can expect a very pleasant and cooperative purchase experience.

This vehicle is part of a private collection of automobiles that are now being made available to the buying public. All of the vehicles in the collection have been owned by a single individual for up to 30 years or more and have been covered and stored in a privately owned warehouse since purchased. We will offer them in successive order until the entire collection is sold to the highest bidder. Do not ask for reserve amounts.

Not a daily driver...more of a toy for me. Definitely not an investment...too old (mid 40) to ever see any meaningful return.

Ran across this eBay listing...kind of sad when you read the description. the owner paid 60K, never drove it, stored it in a special garage, selling it a year later for what should be a big lost. You can follow the link but check out the write up.

What would really be funny is to buy it and right in front of the guy do a donut and burn rubber down the street kicking up dirt and dust.

damn I can be mean...

:devil2:

What would really be funny is to buy it and right in front of the guy do a donut and burn rubber down the street kicking up dirt and dust.

damn I can be mean...

:devil2:

You are mean....the guy will already be crying for the lost he took in his "investment". He does have a nice garage for the car...did you check out the other items in his collection....vintage-airstreams. I kid you not.

Anyone doing this and have it parked in a garage with plans of putting like less than 10,000 miles on it in the next 10 years or so?

If so what other steps are you taking to preserve the vehichle and increase value? What is your expected rise in value? etc, etc, etc

I didn't buy mine to be a daily driver, it's my toy. I haven't put a lot of miles on it ( about 800) because it rained the entire first month I had it and the snow and salt started flying early last fall. If you mean investment as in a car you plan to keep and enjoy and someday give to your son who's currently 6, then yes my car is an investment. It's an investment in quality time with my son and fulfilling my boyhood dream of a Shelby mustang. As far as an investment to make money on-my son may make money on it someday, but I doubt he'll ever get rid of it either. It's my way of owning a Shelby that I could enjoy, not just look at.

I tried to upload a pic ,But no luck. I was on the thunderhill road course yesterday and it was great fun. 3 mile track with lots of elevation changes. This car is great on the track and thats why I bought Mine. Carl
Someone realizes why these cars are so much fun!

I sold my 2007 BMW 335I coupe to get my 2007 SGT and I couldn't be happier. Way cooler car. The Bimmer was nice, and fast but it didn't have anything close to the personality that the SGT does. People love it. I had my 335i for 2 weeks before anyone even noticed that it was there. The first day I parked my SGT at work there were people all over it. People love Shelbys. I love my car. It's the best car I've ever owned as far as fun and the grin it puts on my face everytime I make up reasons to drive.

As far as investment you bet it is, it's an investment in fun and we are lucky that Ford and Shelby teamed up to make these and the GT500s. What a great time to be around. Just think, in 2 years there are going to be Camaros, Challengers and Mustangs, all updated and modern. Just think how much fun it will be to line up against a new Camaro and dust it, hopefully. Can't wait. Plus there are so many good people who know cars and love them that are on this forum. The BMW forums was ok but they are way smug. Always moaning about other peoples cars or not liking what mods you made.

I love my SGT and everything that goes along with it. Shelby all the way. Now I need to get that Supercharger. Yea, more fun!!

I sold my 2007 BMW 335I coupe to get my 2007 SGT and I couldn't be happier. Way cooler car. The Bimmer was nice, and fast but it didn't have anything close to the personality that the SGT does. People love it. I had my 335i for 2 weeks before anyone even noticed that it was there. The first day I parked my SGT at work there were people all over it. People love Shelbys. I love my car. It's the best car I've ever owned as far as fun and the grin it puts on my face everytime I make up reasons to drive.

As far as investment you bet it is, it's an investment in fun and we are lucky that Ford and Shelby teamed up to make these and the GT500s. What a great time to be around. Just think, in 2 years there are going to be Camaros, Challengers and Mustangs, all updated and modern. Just think how much fun it will be to line up against a new Camaro and dust it, hopefully. Can't wait. Plus there are so many good people who know cars and love them that are on this forum. The BMW forums was ok but they are way smug. Always moaning about other peoples cars or not liking what mods you made.

I love my SGT and everything that goes along with it. Shelby all the way. Now I need to get that Supercharger. Yea, more fun!!

Interesting to read this. I was going to buy a 335i, but then I saw the SGT at a Ford showroom, fell in love with it, and bought it. Now, I see 335i's around, and they're nice cars and all, but they just don't do it for me like the Shelby GT. Like you, whereever I go, there is lots of attention - sometimes more than I care for!

I tried to upload a pic ,But no luck. I was on the thunderhill road course yesterday and it was great fun. 3 mile track with lots of elevation changes. This car is great on the track and thats why I bought Mine. Carl

Carl

Can you give details...?

Acceleration off of corners, straight-away speed, how it compared to other cars out there?

I plan on doing the same thing later in the spring and would like to hear how it felt over-all.

Dan

Anyone doing this and have it parked in a garage with plans of putting like less than 10,000 miles on it in the next 10 years or so?

If so what other steps are you taking to preserve the vehichle and increase value? What is your expected rise in value? etc, etc, etc

Great question...and even more interesting responses - I recently purchased a 2007 black sgt. I plan on keeping the miles low and storing more than driving (I live in Michigan, and there are practical limits to the amount of driving as well due to weather). I also have a low-mileage (49,000) '67 289 coupe I'm currently restoring as a resto-mod, but I have previously stored it now for 5 years as a bone stock car, and have learned some lessons on storage the hard way. My cars are stored in a separate detached garage, which I have heated during winter months. However, the cold is less of an issue than the summer humidity (humidity in most northern states is very low indoors, during the winter...especially if you heat the area). If you plan to store a car for long periods, invest in a good de-humidifier and plan to vent the water discharge out of the area...I accomplish this by routing an external hose through a pvc tube outlet run through the wall of the garage. You also need to make sure you have a well insulated, and tightly sealed garage, or the heater and de-humidifier will fight a loosing battle with the cold and humidity...between the purpose built 3 car detached garage (one bay is set aside as a shop area), the heating and de-humidifier, the total cost (and this was 5 years ago - and I did a fair share of the work myself) was around $30K...obviously, you can also modify your attached, or detached garage to meet the same requirements much more inexpensively. However, if you fail to "do it right" from the begininng, you are going to pay the price later. Because I did not account for the high summer humidity during the first 4 years, I ended up putting in much more new steel in the floor board, torqe box, and frame rail areas than I would have needed to had I been smarter from the start. In other words, if you are going to invest in cars, you have to invest in your storage facility. Additionally, it's still a good idea to take the car out on the road at least once per month just to keep the seals lubricated...weather permitting. Also avoid at all cost driving the car on a road surface where salt has been recently applied (that should be common sense)...if you can't avoid that, wash the car and flush the undercarriage ASAP.

Finally, if you do compare the latest Shelby Mustangs with the first generation, you will note that there were far less built from in the 60s and early 70s...especially comparing GT500 numbers - although I love the new GT500s, I would never buy one of those as an investment - they have made more than twice as many GT500s than GTs from 2007-2008. That said, a GT350, for instance, has appreciated an average 50%-80% per year (after 40 years)...and even a high mileage basket case late-60s GT 350 can go for $100K. However, the same pristine, low mileage car (under 20K miles) can go for almost double that price. You do the math, but it probably makes more sense to keep the mileage low if you plan on using the car as an investment...but be prepared to hold the car for 15-20 years, or more, to see a better than average mutual fund return. I'm 41 years old, and I do plan to hold the car until I'm retirement age (over 20 years), so it MAY pay off...but as they say "past returns do not predict future market performance". I also used previous mutual fund gains to buy the car...but after double digit losses this past year, I just decided to "diversify my portfolio a bit with this car", and more importantly, have some fun driving it at least a few miles during the summer months...Everyone else, keep driving the wheels off of yours...the fewer there are by the time I retire, the better my prospects:-)

I have always dreamed about owning a Mustang, and never thought I would have the chance to own a Shelby. My wife and I are pretty young, and currently have no children. My wife has always told me that when she turns 30, she would "think" about having children. Well she turned 30, and said she was still thinking. I told the wife that I wanted to go shopping. With a puzzled look on her face she asked if she could go and I said sure. I grabbed the keys to the beater car and off we went on our shopping trip. She was really confused when I pulled into the Ford dealership. She asked why we were here, and I said, well, if kids are not in our immediate future I am buying my Mustang. I drove the Shelby off the showroom and into my garage that day!!

It is not an investment, but more of a trophy for me. I love spending time in the garage cleaning and adding mods that make the car special to me. I am planning on keeping SGT 3670 as long as I live, and as nice as I can.

Adam (SGT#3670)

Carl

Can you give details...?

Acceleration off of corners, straight-away speed, how it compared to other cars out there?

I plan on doing the same thing later in the spring and would like to hear how it felt over-all.

Dan

Dan I was the only Mustang there. My car was great in and out of the corners and hit 120 in the long straight away it's a great track with lots of elevation changes and if you decide to give it a try you won't be sorry.I'm going to go again on

Friday, March 28 2008 One more thing. I ordered a big brake kit and it didn't get here in time so I went with the stock brakes and I used them up so when I go back on the 28 I'll have big break. HP is not worth a damn with out good brakes. Dan I'm not very good at this typing and here's my #(209) 759-3163 any time after 5:00. I'll be more than happy to tell you all about it. I've got road course fewer and the only cure is more track time.lol

I have an '03 "Yellow" GT convertible with 9500 miles on it. I purchased the "08" Shelby to drive, but will probably only put about 2-3000 miles per year on it as I will continue to drive the vert. I am 63 years old, so don't expect to live long enough to make a big buck from it. I was able to purchase it at an extrememly good price so should be able to recoup what I spent in about 10-15 years even with 20,000 miles on it.

Archived