TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Who bought their SGT as an investment only?

TheKurgan

Anyone doing this and have it parked in a garage with plans of putting like less than 10,000 miles on it in the next 10 years or so?

If so what other steps are you taking to preserve the vehichle and increase value? What is your expected rise in value? etc, etc, etc

:waiting:

Mine is a driver - I'm not driving the wheels off of it and I do plan to keep it nice, but its too much fun to let it sit all the time. So although I guess it would not piut it in the "investment" category, I did buy it to retain it's value more than a standard Mustang.

I got mine because it had the ford packs I would have put on a regular mustang GT before it left the lot and thought this would hold its value better, so I kinda did :hysterical2: I really got mine on an really expensive impulse buy. The way these cars look just grab attention, caught mine! I could have built a mustang to look like this, and drive the same, but it wouldn't be a REAL Shelby and I would've always regretted not gettin the real deal.

Mine is a toy and not an everyday driver. When i sold my 03 Mach after 3.5 years it had 9,100 mile on it, and the Shelby will probably be about the same. With that being said i didn't buy it for an investment. Being in my mid fifties i won't live long enough to see any appreciation even if there ever is some. If i choose to sell it before i take the dirt nap, i would hope it would retain more of it's original value than a standard GT. I never buy a car as an investment, there are much better things to do with your money for investment purposes.

I agree with most here. I did not buy it for an investment. That said, I think it is the Best looking Mustang out so far adn if I bought a CS and added these options the cost would have been close enough that it was well worth just buying one that was already done for me. Plus it is a Shelby and not just a CS, that is just a bonus. I do think down the road the premium we all paid will be more than made up in resale value, but I am talking at least 5 years down the road.

I agree putting your money into a car is a very bad investment. Unless it's something that has already shown a great deal of appreciation.

I'm driving mine everywhere I go. Just got home from a 2,000 mile road trip from Indiana to Charleston, SC and back. What a blast.!!! Especially in the mountains of Tennessee and North Carolina. This car really shows its strong points in the twisty curves.

My investments are in IRA's. The Shelby is my play toy. I will drive it and drive it hard. I'll be dead before it appreciates in value. Something my son's can argue over. :)

Kids arguing? That never happens! :hysterical:

I have two daughter's in their mid 20's and when they are together well, it's time to take a ride and get out of Dodge. They aren't in to cars to much so my grandson who is three years old now will be getting mine, if it's the car i have when i become vertically challenged.

I have been investing in Mutual funds and IRA's for 25 years. Wish i had done it sooner. Thats what enabled me to purchase this car with no financing.

I somehow think the ones that might actually be doing this will not speak up. When there are only a handful of SGT's with less than 10,000 miles in say 20 years, their investment just might be worth it. I probably wouldn't say anything either.

Just think how much an original GT350 with less than 10,000 miles is worth today over what it was originally purchased for.

I somehow think the ones that might actually be doing this will not speak up. When there are only a handful of SGT's with less than 10,000 miles in say 20 years, their investment just might be worth it. I probably wouldn't say anything either.

Just think how much an original GT350 with less than 10,000 miles is worth today over what it was originally purchased for.

Question is; in 30-40 years will our Kids and Grand Kids have the same sense of nostalgia for these new cars as we have for the cars of our youth? If not, there may be no high demand market. We all know it is nostalgia of our generation that drove the price of the 60's cars to the stratosphere, not just Shelby's, but muscle and classic cars in general. Will history repeat itself? Don't know, but I do know I most likely won't be around to find out, (if I am probably won't know where I am :headspin: ) I just won't have to worry about someone saying I told you so :hysterical2: !

I'm afraid I'm much too old to buy an automobile as an investment :banghead: and although I drive it every chance I get, I'm careful to keep it like new. A car this nice deserves that but...I have all intentions of enjoying it to the fullest and in that respect, I suppose it is an investment :happy feet:. It's worth much more now, for the enjoyment it brings, than put away in my garage for someone lese to benifit from later on. The motorcycle that I put 40,000 miles on in the past 2 years is now collecting cobwebs since Sept. This thing's a hoot :headspin:

Jim

hotrodric- Thats a really good point you bring up about the nostalga factor 30 or so years down the road. I'm 20 now and most people I talk to about cars that are my age seem to think their jap/euro cars can run circles around my heavy American turd. I'm quoting from someone there. It might be in later years the hot cars will be M3s and well Subarus :hysterical2: . I'm not saying everyone is like this, but it's the majority around here. I'm consistently told I could have such a better car for the 80K I've spent on the SGT and Challenger, but none of those will have the history or just plain cool factor that these cars have to me.

Drive em and enjoy! Make sure people know what a good ol V8 can do, and if their worth something someday they'll be a great restoration project.

I bought my Shelby to drive her. If I get my money out of her(time will tell) Ill be shocked. But for now Im enjoying the ride. I have a customer with a 70 boss 302 and it gets pushed on and off a trailer. Never ever driven. What I would give just to listen to her sing in all 4 gears.

I bought mine as an investment and a toy. I'll put maybe a 1000 a year on her, and I promise to love and cherish her at all times!

Anyone doing this and have it parked in a garage with plans of putting like less than 10,000 miles on it in the next 10 years or so?

If so what other steps are you taking to preserve the vehichle and increase value? What is your expected rise in value? etc, etc, etc

I bought my SGT ( sold my Harley to get the Shelby) with the intention of a driving it on weekends and in good weather, so I consider it a toy. Winters here in Michigan are long, so I look forward to spring. I did not buy the SGT as an investment, but I did consider that the depreciation on it may be less than the standard Mustang. Time and history will tell about the value later on down the road, but I do like the fact that our cars are "Real" Shelbys in that they have been to Las Vegas and had "the Man's" hands on them like the original GT350s. That, for me , is where the value will be in time. Rather than just his name on a car, our cars have been to Shelby's factory. That, in the light of history, is where the real value will be. Thanks, Mr. Shelby.

First I have to say this forum is great, real cars, real car guys! I was at ford looking at the new Bullitt, I owned 2001 Bullitt 4995 and this 05 up bodystyle is way better so I fiqured go look! At one dealer I went to there were 2 08 SGTs, a convertable and coupe. I was totally impressed but 08 are going over $38000 so that being said I started researching and found all these used and leftover 07s, and at or lower than Bullitt MSRP! I own another late model limitted production car I am trying to sell and an 07 Harley Road King, My point to all this is that late model cars are not investments yet but these cars as one of you said had the Mans hands on them and they will depreciate way less than a GT! The Bullitt I had only brough $18250, two years old and 3600 miles. I say keep the SGTs love them, drive them and keep them as nice as possible and when were to old to use them I bet we will do all right investment wise! After all the years of pleasure I dont think anyone here will care! Now do I sell my other car and Harley to get my SGT? I think that I wont need the bike if I have a Shelby. My 3 year old loves to cruise with me and with 2 kids alone time on the bike is rare. The Shelby is looking better and better with 2 kids more practical too! Help!

I bought mine because at the time in last November when I was looking for a car, and for what the CAD/USD exchange rate was, I was able to get this waaaaay cheaper than the Mustang GT I wanted in Canada. (Sad state of affairs the Canadian automobile industry is currently in) The exchange rate alone covered what the gst/pst cost me. That being said, this thing is going to get DRIVEN, as soon as this damn snow melts...

No investment for me other than enjoyment. I'd go real estate if I was to go looking for investment.

Bought it cause I love cars and this is an incredible car. Like my 928S in the past, I turn around as I walk past her in the driveway and say to myself, DAMN, THAT IS A BEAUTIFUL CAR....AND ITS MINE.

Toy, yes, investment, no. I mean I hope it doesnt depreciate like most cars will, but I wouldnt call that an investment, I call it a smart buy.

In 30 or 40 years, as so many have referred to.....the Earth will be one big traffic jam and anyone with money will be in a personal aircraft. So hotrods will be worthless.

Investment? :hysterical2:

Bought mine as an investment. Here's how I looked at it.

According to studies, happy people are 10% more productive at work than unhappy people. Since owning a Shelby would make any thinking breathing person at least 10% happier, I figure that one could apply 10% more to their income by owning a Shelby. Take that and apply it to a $5.00/hr job, one could boost their income by $0.50/hr.....or over a 38 year long career, about $40,000.

Soooo.....after I'm a worn out, crusty, smelly old man......MY CAR WAS FREE!!!!!!! :happy feet:

When I went to look at the SGT the saleman told me that a guy just bought two, a white one and a black one and just put wrappers around them and put them in storage for his young kids when they get older. That could be true because mine is a daily driver and I have had mine about a year and have not seen one on the road. Sudden.

Purchased my SGT as a driver....Was impressed when they first came out but was dissapointed with the ADM on these cars ..

Test drove one,after looking at purchasing a -'08 Bullitt..but decided the Shelby was better suited for me...

Shopped around and found a great deal on a '07...it now sits in my garage..Driving as much as possible when the roads and weather cooperates..

NO, did not buy for a investment..but plan on keeping this car for a long time..which is unusal fo me...

Archived