TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SHELBY AND RUST

EUSMCBOB

I AS IT SEEMS LIKE OTHERS HAVE RUST ON MY 08 BUT SINCE IT'S GOING TO SHELBY FOR SUPER SNAKE AND THEY WILL WORK ON IT I THOUGHT I'D WAIT UNTIL I GOT IT BACK. IS THERE SOMETHING THAT SHELBY WILL--OR CAN DO ABOUT IT WHEN THEY HAVE THE CAR? AT AN EXTRA COST OR MAYBE THEY WIL CLEAN IT OFF AS A PART NORMAL BUSINESS TO SEND THE CAR BACK TO THE CUSTOMER ALL NEW AND SHINY.

Bob,

Mines getting supper snaked also.

Cleaning your butt isn't that hard :hysterical:

Mine was not as bad as Grabbers, It took 4hours (jack the car up, remove the tires wire brush the rust wipe it down with thinner, acidtone or such tape and paint) with about 45 to 60 mins intermittions.

1 wire brush, half a can @ of primer and black paint Rust-o-eum the good stuff, small amount of paint thinner or such, and few pieces of tape.

Tip: A small paint brush works great on the rear caliper, spray paint into the cap and paint. reduces the required tape and time.

Let it dry over night. It takes about 30 to 60 mins to clean the rear wheels and put it back together.

If you don't have a torque wrench go to your tire store they will torque um up correctly for you.

Well worth the effort,

Here a comfort tip - use a self inflating camping matt while under the car. doesnt roll like a coster butt it's easyer on the bones.

Gotta take before and after picks.

Sounds like you may have a new business to start. GRABBERS RUSTY BUTT CLEANING SERVICE.

Family, work and moderating takes about 23.5 hours a day. You can use the extra 1/2 hour.

Bob,

SAI is not set up to do that kind of work. You will have to do it yourself of hire it done. Here is what I did. Click here:

http://forum.teamshelby.com/forums/index.p...c=11229&hl=

Bob,

Mines getting supper snaked also.

Cleaning your butt isn't that hard :hysterical:

Mine was not as bad as Grabbers, It took 4hours (jack the car up, remove the tires wire brush the rust wipe it down with thinner, acidtone or such tape and paint) with about 45 to 60 mins intermittions.

1 wire brush, half a can @ of primer and black paint Rust-o-eum the good stuff, small amount of paint thinner or such, and few pieces of tape.

Tip: A small paint brush works great on the rear caliper, spray paint into the cap and paint. reduces the required tape and time.

Let it dry over night. It takes about 30 to 60 mins to clean the rear wheels and put it back together.

If you don't have a torque wrench go to your tire store they will torque um up correctly for you.

Well worth the effort,

Here a comfort tip - use a self inflating camping matt while under the car. doesnt roll like a coster butt it's easyer on the bones.

Gotta take before and after picks.

THANKS FOR THE REPLY JIM. WHEN I ORDERED A BRAND NEW 2008 SHELBY I DID NOT THINK I WOULD BE DEALING WITH RUST. MAYBE NAIVE BUT I WOULD THINK THAT FORD WOULD BE EMBARASSED TO HAVE PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT RUST ON A CAR THAT IS 4 MONTHS OLD.

BOBH

Bob,

SAI is not set up to do that kind of work. You will have to do it yourself of hire it done. Here is what I did. Click here:

BEING RETIRED I JUST CAN'T IMAGINE HOW YOU GET THAT ALL DONE PLUS GONIG TO WORK. INCREDIBLE!

WWHATS THE PURPOSE OF A SPECIAL CALIPER PAINT? HEAT?

BOBH

Bob,

BEING RETIRED I JUST CAN'T IMAGINE HOW YOU GET THAT ALL DONE PLUS GONIG TO WORK. INCREDIBLE!

BOBH

BOBH

I wanted to make my calipers look better so I painted them. Yes you have to use high heat paint. The caliper paint is high heat. I am not retired Bob. Working 5 tens these days. I am looking forward to retirement in 2015.

THANKS FOR THE REPLY JIM. WHEN I ORDERED A BRAND NEW 2008 SHELBY I DID NOT THINK I WOULD BE DEALING WITH RUST. MAYBE NAIVE BUT I WOULD THINK THAT FORD WOULD BE EMBARASSED TO HAVE PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT RUST ON A CAR THAT IS 4 MONTHS OLD.

BOBH

You'd think... but they don't. :banghead:

It's a poor excuse, IMO, to have my rear be rustier than that of a $20,000 import.

just read the forum re: rust, 08 Shelby's. Yes, it's true, as I checked my 08 this morning, and rust is forming. Anybody out there think that this s a warranty issue, and may be covered?? My Gt5oo has all of 150 miles on it, and I have had it for 4 months. I think that we are going to see alot more of this in the future. Check you rear axles, guys!!

Grabber.......read your post about rust.....got it on my 08 gt500. The dealership seems to be treating it like an every car experience, SO FAR. I think that it should be a warranty issue, since mine is less than 4 months old!

Ford will not cover rear axel rust. Period...end of story.

Ford will not cover rear axel rust. Period...end of story.

I don't understand why the guys with the original drive shafts aren't concerned with all the rust they have? I noticed that some have it and some don't, mostly the guys with aluminum DS don't have it :hysterical: Some people don't like a rusted up shaft :redcard: Mine is shiny.

BOBH

AMEN AND WELL SAID A BRAND NEW CAR WITH THE ENTIRE REAR END FULL OF RUST HOW SAD, MINE HAD IT AS WELL, I WAS SADDENED AND STUNNED WHEN I SAW IT AND FORD DID NOTHING ABOUT IT. SHAME SHAME SHAME

• 2 weeks later...

This car is mass produced on a assembly line, its just a product to be sold Ford evidently doesn't realize what they did when they added the shelby on the back. Folks now have expectations especially after the lengths and costs that some had to go though to get one. So I can understand why some of you are upset by what you see under your brand new car.

You might try this http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product...;iProductID=115

I've used it before on a underbody and chassis parts finish turned out really nice also lasts pretty well.

This car is mass produced on a assembly line, its just a product to be sold Ford evidently doesn't realize what they did when they added the shelby on the back. Folks now have expectations especially after the lengths and costs that some had to go though to get one. So I can understand why some of you are upset by what you see under your brand new car.

You might try this http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product...;iProductID=115

I've used it before on a underbody and chassis parts finish turned out really nice also lasts pretty well.

Thanks for the info!

Archived