TEAM SHELBY FORUM

No lower Front grill looks unfinished

I just do not understand what Ford was thinking when they left out the lower front grill on the GT/CS front facia. Not only does it look totally unfinished, but rocks can dent up and possibly damage the alum fins on the cooler. Are you guys living with it, or buying a lower grill ?

I ordered her a black grill from SAI and am waiting for it to arrive.

Linky: http://www.shelbyperformanceparts.com/Show...e%20Insert.aspx

http://www.shelbyperformanceparts.com/SQLC...arge/100759.jpg

I can't stand this look on my wifes GT/CS anymore!

We have 1800 miles on the car and the fins are showing damage.

Gloveboxmod002.jpg

Gloveboxmod016.jpg

I bought the lower grill too.

Question for you Tim.

The pic on the link shows Round cut outs on both sides. Do those go behind the existing / adjacent side plastic pieces ? Did you rivit it on.

Any install tip would be helpfull.

Question for you Tim.

The pic on the link shows Round cut outs on both sides. Do those go behind the existing / adjacent side plastic pieces ? Did you rivit it on.

Any install tip would be helpfull.

It is a pretty easy install. The tough part is popping out the outer "faux" grill pieces. The billet grill goes behind the fascia and mine is riveted on. Here are SAI-Bud's instructions.

"Here are the instructions for the lower billet grille. Pictures will soon follow.

First, remove the two lower outer “faux” grille pieces. They will pop out. Look at the new lower grille insert, you will see on the brace a hole on each side. This is the hole where you will need to drill later. Now take the grille and place it in the opening, going in from behind the fascia. Now drill through the hole in the brace and through the fascia. Use 2 pop rivits to hold it in place. You can use a 1/8 by 1/2 inch pop rivit.

Now, snap back on the two “faux” grille pieces. The lower grille insert is now completed"

I just do not understand what Ford was thinking when they left out the lower front grill on the GT/CS front facia. Not only does it look totally unfinished, but rocks can dent up and possibly damage the alum fins on the cooler. Are you guys living with it, or buying a lower grill ?

The first mod I did on my SGT and probably the best to date. June bugs can do a lot of damage at 120.....

You will also find the plate fits perfectly in the lower fascia with the grill installed assuming you even need a front plate at all. My sig pic is old and my plate is no longer on the upper grill.

When you say pop out, are they just friction fitted in ?

Did you just push them put with your fingers ?

There are clips molded into the back of the faux grill pieces. They snap into the slots on the picture I attached. I drew circles around the slots. They snap in the same way the upper grill does.

post-3252-1203568426_thumb.jpg

post-3252-1203568426_thumb.jpg

Hah... first mod to my SGT after a random plastic milk jug flew into it while I was going 80 and actually got sucked inside deep enough to hit the radiator. Those front plastic pieces have 4 clips that secure them and you can easily remove them with your fingers. You can get an idea from this:

post-12903-1203568453_thumb.jpg

post-12903-1203568453_thumb.jpg

OH SNAP (no pun intended), someone beat me by 1 minute! :headspin:

Actually, I thought it was good team work. You can see the slots in my pic and the clips on the faux grills in your pic. As I was looking through pics to post I didn't have any of the uninstalled faux grills.

If I remember right, it doesn't matter, top or bottom. Breaking the clips is why I thought it was the most difficult part of the mod. That said, nothing broke when I did mine. With it colder outside, make sure the plastic parts are warm -- less chance of breaking them.

If I remember right, it doesn't matter, top or bottom. Breaking the clips is why I thought it was the most difficult part of the mod. That said, nothing broke when I did mine. With it colder outside, make sure the plastic parts are warm -- less chance of breaking them.

Thanks for the tip.

I will warm the parts up with a hair dryer in my shop before I pop them off.

One thing to remember when installing the lower grille. If you decide to add the brake duct and driving lights you would probably have to drill the rivets out holding the grill, remove the grill, install the brake duct and lighting, then reinstall the grill. That is why I am waiting for SAI to release the other parts and do it all at one time.

One thing to remember when installing the lower grille. If you decide to add the brake duct and driving lights you would probably have to drill the rivets out holding the grill, remove the grill, install the brake duct and lighting, then reinstall the grill. That is why I am waiting for SAI to release the other parts and do it all at one time.

True. I have been waiting a year now for SAI to release the brake ducts and lighting. I finally gave up and installed the grill. Any word on when those parts might be released?

I agree 100%. It's like they forgot a step on the assembly line.

Gloveboxmod015.jpg

Exactly, when I rented an 06GTH, they went thru this lenghty checklist and I accused them of having that piece missing, I told them, "dont tell me the car is damaged when I bring it back and there is no lower grill, it wasnt there when I picked the car up"

they were like....."no sir, there is no piece missing, thats the way it came"

??????????????????????????????????????.....another detail missed. Put that on the list with the antenna from a Ford Taurus (28 inches?), prop bar for the hood and 140 mph speedo.

There are clips molded into the back of the faux grill pieces. They snap into the slots on the picture I attached. I drew circles around the slots. They snap in the same way the upper grill does.

Ok...why isn't there a lower grill that gets rid of these non-matching plastic pieces? I hate them and they do nothing but collect dirt and bugs and are a ROYAL PITA to clean and make look good. Why doesn't the lower grill insert go all the way across? I'd be happy with one that even had smooth back plastic on either end and just slipped in with your fingers! I mean duh! Why not? Why sell the a grill that needs all this work when one could be made that just snapped in where these are?

Or am I missing something?

The billet lower grill was the first mod I did---looks much more finished than it did from the factory.

I also will agree with the other posters about the ease of installation---took me about 25 minutes start to finish. I was at first nervous about popping out the faux grill pieces, but it was a pretty easy deal.

One piece of advice that I got from the board and it was helpful was to use a string and loop it behind the grill to help hold it in place during the installation...it will make sense when you do it.

Good luck, I am very happy with mine---but may have also ordered the black if it had been available---I think it'll look slick on your car.

Grabber, I bought the aluminum billet lower grill. I did not consider the black. Please post good quality photos as soon as you can. I may return mine as I have not installed yet. I wonder how the black lower would look with the lights and brake ducts.

I need to go buy some rivits and install it in the next day or 2. I will get some good Pic's. The nice thing about it is that the Black is not to shiney.

I'm considering a lower grill insert. I agree that the car looks unfinished without one. What's the preference on a black SGT? Black or silver? I'm on the fence.

Regarding installation, do the pop rivets come with the grill? Are the rivets hand installed or do I need a rivet tool (which I don't have)?

I'm considering a lower grill insert. I agree that the car looks unfinished without one. What's the preference on a black SGT? Black or silver? I'm on the fence.

Regarding installation, do the pop rivets come with the grill? Are the rivets hand installed or do I need a rivet tool (which I don't have)?

No instructions whatso ever come with the grill. :banghead: There is a procedure somewhere on the forum that Bud posted on the installation I need to find.

Drake parts needs some work! :rant:

Go to Shelby mods and GT Tech Section of this site. Under Important Topics Bud gives instructions for installation. Just remember if you use rivets you will have to drill them out to remove the grill again if you do an intercooler, brake duct/light combo, etc.

Thanks,

I found it.

http://forum.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21387

Archived