TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Air Filter

Kelsey

K/N air filter cleaner kit

http://www.autoanything.com/air-filters/65A1993A0A0.aspx

$20 and you're good to go for 350,000 miles!

I have the K&N kit for my other vehicles but the spray oil is the color red, does anyone have a good source for the spray oil in blue ?

I have been using the K&N style filter for years and it's a simple process. Grab a can of aerosol brake cleaner (about 3 bucks at your FLAPS) and clean (soak) the filter inside and out. Once the spray comes out as clean as it goes in, you're done. Then blow dry with compressed air. Fast, easy and inexpensive. Oiling the filter is your choice, I never have used it, just cleaned the filter at every oil change.

• 1 month later...
Steeda makes a air filter cleaning kit that retains the blue color of the Ford Racing filter that the SGT comes with..part #281-6005..

Don't use this blue oil from Steeda. I had their Steeda CAI kit and their oil for another 2007 Mustang GT I have. When I used their oil, the filter never really absorbed it. When I turned over the motor you could stand there and watch the oil getting sucked right out of the filter until the filter was completely white 5 minutes later. I switched their Steeda filter for a K&N filter and oiled it blue using the Steeda oil again and that K&N filter lost the oil as well. So there is something wrong with the Steeda oil in that it doesn't get absorbed and set into the filter media.

So I swithced to K&N oil and that solved everything.

Yep I've been using the K&N too and it stays red for quite a while. Those CAI's really suck in the air. I love the sound of that just before you hear the exhaust note.

You mean this sound. :happy feet:

th_ab967db8.jpg

You mean this sound. :happy feet:

th_ab967db8.jpg

Yeah superchargers sound cool too, but the natural aspirated CAI has more of a sucking sound that can be distinctively heard by only reving the engine. The supercharger has that whine that is louder than the air intake.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been wondering about this for awhile now. I run K&N's on many other vehicles and thought that I would oil my filter on my SGT. No mention in SGT manual for cleaning it. Has anyone called Ford Racing or SAI about this? If so, what did they say?

Mark

Archived