TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Performance Oil Filter???

I see in our specs that part of the FRPP package is a "performance oil filter".

Does anyone know what exactly it does over a regular oil filter? Less pressure drop?

And do most Ford dealers carry them or do they need to special order it?

Thanks,

Most dealers dont carry them and many have posted that it is the EXACT same filter as the normal Motorcraft oil filter. It is relabeled and doubled/tripled in price for those who think the label makes a difference.

The best advantage it provides from what I can tell is the "cool" factor when you see Ford Racing on the side, but all it means is you paid too much for a stock filter.

Most dealers dont carry them and many have posted that it is the EXACT same filter as the normal Motorcraft oil filter. It is relabeled and doubled/tripled in price for those who think the label makes a difference.

The best advantage it provides from what I can tell is the "cool" factor when you see Ford Racing on the side, but all it means is you paid too much for a stock filter.

+1, bravo Michael! I have been one of those voices.

I think the only reason the FRP filter comes along for the ride in an SGT, it because is one of many components supplied by FRP to SAI for the SGT build as a component of one of three FRP kits added to the car.

To my knowledge, no one has yet to establish any prformance difference between the FRP M-6731-FL820 filter and the Motorcraft FL 820-S filter. In fact, FRP itself cross-referrences the two as compatabile on page 100 of the 2007 Catalogue without any comment towards improved quality or performance that justifies the added expense.

But yeah, it does look cool...

This is more information than you probably wanted to know, but:

The FRPP performance oil filter:

http://home.earthlink.net/~cewhite3nc/id11.html

The stock Mustang GT oil filter:

http://home.mindspring.com/~cewhite3nc/id9.html

Thanks, Dig!!!! :happy feet: :happy feet:

Actually, it shows that the FRPP is significantly better than the stock one.

I have a Motorsports dealer that does carry these, one of the reasons I go there, any dealer's service dept that knows the difference has got to know something. The way I see it the package specifies it so I get it. yeah it's more $$ but looks cool and and another "Ford Racing..." item to list off when explaining the car.

I have a Motorsports dealer that does carry these, one of the reasons I go there, any dealer's service dept that knows the difference has got to know something. The way I see it the package specifies it so I get it. yeah it's more $$ but looks cool and and another "Ford Racing..." item to list off when explaining the car.

My car does not have the racing filter., I was going to ask about that.

My car does not have the racing filter., I was going to ask about that.

That was brought up on the old forum, I don't think SAI actually put the "racing" filter on our cars even though it's listed as part of the SVT package they installed. Mine also has just a normal Motorcraft filter.

That was brought up on the old forum, I don't think SAI actually put the "racing" filter on our cars even though it's listed as part of the SVT package they installed. Mine also has just a normal Motorcraft filter.

+1

Yes, the car ships with the normal filter from the factory.

You cannot declare one filter better than the other based solely on itemized specifications from two different websites. Neither identify the source of the data. It's a good place to start evaluation, but I won't declare one better over the other based on this data alone. Yup, the numbers are different, but what do they mean? BTW, both are made by Purolater.

The important factor in oil filters is the construction and quality of the ADBV. Silicone is best and approved by Ford. Fram and WIX are plastic and fail, which is why I suggest to avoid them. I've seen warranty clams denied when the plactic ADBV was found in the crankcase.

To my knowledge to date, no side-by-side performance testing has been conducted, and until it is, both filters perform on an equal basis. Moreover, at the frequency I drain and change (2500 miles), saving ten-twelve bucks per drain makes sense.

My SGT came with the FRP filter, I believe they all are supposed to. Perhaps those who got the Motorcraft filter at delivery should preserve it? Liike a misprinted dash plaque, this may give your SGT a higher value as a "collector's item" down the road?

My SGT came with the FRP filter, I believe they all are supposed to. Perhaps those who got the Motorcraft filter at delivery should preserve it? Liike a misprinted dash plaque, this may give your SGT a higher value as a "collector's item" down the road?

OK, we get it. you don't think mistakes or misprints will be worth any additional money down the road. Your probably right but the dash plate at least makes for conversation. After all I still have the original lifting scoop on my car, oh wait most of us have this or some form of other disaster on the hood so I guess it's not that rare. From what I've heard your car with the FRP filter may be more rare than those of us with the off the shelf Motorcraft filter. :hysterical:

OK, we get it. you don't think mistakes or misprints will be worth any additional money down the road. Your probably right but the dash plate at least makes for conversation. After all I still have the original lifting scoop on my car, oh wait most of us have this or some form of other disaster on the hood so I guess it's not that rare. From what I've heard your car with the FRP filter may be more rare than those of us with the off the shelf Motorcraft filter. :hysterical:

I'm not say that, not "across the board" anyway. Some goofs are (can be) value enhancing. But, yes, a misprinted dash plaque isn't one of them.

My FRP filter went to the trash bin at 1000 miles, but if you think it's important, I'll go buy another one and put it on the shelf.

BTW, my luck didn't stop there. I don't have any scoop issues either. Now, this could be a value enhancing flub.

Oh wait...I forgot about my hood pin issue. Broken at delivery, and I got them replaced by SAI. What was I thinking!

I'm not say that, not "across the board" anyway. Some goofs are (can be) value enhancing. But, yes, a misprinted dash plaque isn't one of them.

My FRP filter went to the trash bin at 1000 miles, but if you think it's important, I'll go buy another one and put it on the shelf.

BTW, my luck didn't stop there. I don't have any scoop issues either. Now, this could be a value enhancing flub.

Oh wait...I forgot about my hood pin issue. Broken at delivery, and I got them replaced by SAI. What was I thinking!

Lulu just wait until your hood scoop gets some heavy duty solar rays and heat. Check back with ya next winter ;)

BTW my car came with the FRPP filter too.

Not to stir the pot, but it would make sense to me if some cars came with the FRPP oil filter, that SAI did an oil change(don't see how you can change the filter without changing the oil).

So I just wonder what is SAI policy on this? Don't these guys have a checksheet or something they have to follow?

I mean if you're talking about changing the oil, that's a major expense if it's done on all cars. Businesses just don't let those types of things slip by. That's a signifigant amount of money.

Here's a better question.does Shelby sell these filters?,If so,How much?HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

Yes, they do.

Shelby

================

http://shelbyperformanceparts.com/ShowItem...l%20Filter.aspx

FRPP

=================

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_...rtKeyField=7567

Kind of funny on the FRPP site it says:

This technology is only available through Ford Racing Performance Parts :redcard:

Lulu just wait until your hood scoop gets some heavy duty solar rays and heat. Check back with ya next winter ;)

MY SGT has seen plenty of heat and Sun. Bought it last August, drove home in 96 degree sunshine, and the following Sept. was one of Chicago's worst for heat and humidity. I'm not worried about it, but thanks for your concern, sir.

Not to stir the pot, but it would make sense to me if some cars came with the FRPP oil filter, that SAI did an oil change(don't see how you can change the filter without changing the oil).

Sure you can, the filter hold less than 1/2 a quart, and you can pre-fill it at the install, and top off from there.

Thanks for the link, but I noticed no SRP listed. So, I went to my paper catalogue, and the filter is sold in cases of 12 only. 165.00 per case = 13.75 each, not including shipping and any taxes. Hope this helps, happy motoring gents.

Ok let me rephrase. I personally would not want my filter changed without also changing the oil so I don't see this as a favor. Really you're going to lose some oil when you take it off and also you don't want to fill the filter all the way up with oil when putting it back on as that will also make a mess when trying to screw it back on.

It's just common sense...change both at the same time.

I'm glad you feel so confident about your scoop as you are in the minority. Mine is not that bad compared to others here, but I am worried it will get even worse.

Oh, and btw, I'm not trying to throw prices out there for the filter. In any case, it's going to add up when it comes to profit/loss for a business. I'm saying if it didn't get done on all cars then someone is saving alot of money.

Oh, and btw, I'm not trying to throw prices out there for the filter. In any case, it's going to add up when it comes to profit/loss for a business. I'm saying if it didn't get done on all cars then someone is saving alot of money.

No problem, sir, but you didn't miss anything. The page you link us to doesn't have a price listed and that's not your fault.

The cost factor you mention...Indeed. Absolutely a factor.

The FRP filter is included in every FRP performance pack for the 2005-2008 4.6L-3V Mustang GT. I am sure the kits installed by SAI came with the filters too, so, SAI installed them...For a while anyway. But, 5800+ '07 SGTs and another 2400+ '08s, the cost of this filter, including install and possible oil change, adds up. Eats away at the overhead.

I won't speak for SAI, but it is possible that SAI stopped buying and installing the FRP filter from FRP for the same reason I did. It's no better than the Motorcraft.

Again, spec sheets are one thing, but real world performance testing of the two filters is absent. Thus, there is no scientific justification to spend the extra 10 bucks...IMHO.

But, it looks cool.

Archived