TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 vs. Roush Stage 3

wildcat

With the Roush Stage 3 on the market, and at a similar price point to the Shelby, I've been contemplating the differing features of them. What's your take? Mine is this:

1) Shelby has the better engine and 80 more HP (but it's also heavier)

2) The Roush has a WAY better interior (I wish the Shelby would take some ques from Roush on the leather color schemes, carbon fiber panels, etc.)

3) Handling is probably fairly similar.

4) Which car looks better from the outside? The Roush has more flash, but the Shelby has a great front end

5) Which car is more "collectable"? I'd say Shelby

6) Which car is faster? HMMMMM.......

What are your thoughts?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the Roush Stage 3 on the market, and at a similar price point to the Shelby, I've been contemplating the differing features of them. What's your take? Mine is this:

1) Shelby has the better engine and 80 more HP (but it's also heavier)

2) The Roush has a WAY better interior (I wish the Shelby would take some ques from Roush on the leather color schemes, carbon fiber panels, etc.)

3) Handling is probably fairly similar.

4) Which car looks better from the outside? The Roush has more flash, but the Shelby has a great front end

5) Which car is more "collectable"? I'd say Shelby

6) Which car is faster? HMMMMM.......

What are your thoughts?

I have been looking at the Roush as an alternative to the Shelby. I like the more subtle look of the Shelby. I would like to see better seats in the Shelby.

The Roush suspension is likely more worked over than the Shelby. I know tires are a big factor, but, the Stage 2 Roush was pulling 1.02g on the skid pad.

The seat of the pants power of the two is likely to be similar. My gut feeling is the Shelby will likely beat it. The biggest difference to me is the potential. The Roush is not likely to respond to bolt on mods well as it is already maxed out for tune, exhaust, etc. You can prob get into the motor and get more out of it. I'd be leary of increasing boost on the Roush without putting forged internals in the Roush. The Shelby will have a lot more room to grow. So, if you plan to mod the car, the Shelby would be the choice.

The Roush will be made in far fewer numbers. Based on that, the Roush will likely be worth more. Sticking a Shelby badge on the back is not going to make the car worth more money. If these cars were actually sent to Shelby to be built, then it would be a diff story.

... Sticking a Shelby badge on the back is not going to make the car worth more money. If these cars were actually sent to Shelby to be built, then it would be a diff story.

I dunno...they seem to be worth $10-$20K > MSRP at the moment...That so called "Shelby badge" on the back is doing something for the car's value.

I dunno...they seem to be worth $10-$20K > MSRP at the moment...That so called "Shelby badge" on the back is doing something for the car's value.

I agree with you. The "Shelby Badge" is important to many folks despite the strong opinion of some other folks on the forums!

I have been looking at the Roush as an alternative to the Shelby.

Oddly enough, I spent a couple of hours with just such a car(pics to come if I'm going that way again) on Sat. As well, I have been hit on by another dealer to take a loooong look at a Saleen S-197 they had. Initially I noticed the paint on the Roush car body addons DID NOT match the colour of the original car.(Screaming yellow?) :hysterical: I was however much better with the quality of the Roush mechanicals in terms of installation. Very thorough, very factory in appearance. I did note with interest a very large sticker on the blower pulley that warned of horrible things if one was to think about touching that little item in the search for more performacne. Things started to slide again however when I got in. Some of the trim( both sets of dash guages in particular) seemed to be a bit off, as if the factory stuff took a lot of effort to get off and may have made the install a little iffy. I did not drive the roush car out of respect for the eventual buyer as I fully expect to meet him/her down the road and I have a hard time not telling people how I beat the H :censored: out of their car. (its happened to me B4) Style is a personal thing but the car was nowhere near what I would pay for any mustang, period. (80k CAN$) As to the Steeda car, it has been around for at least 6 months and outside of the gingerbread(styling stuff) did not impress beyond what looked to be very well thought out suspension ride height. I did drive it and I was not blown away by the Vortec 3 valve but found the steering frighteningly quick(compared to my heavily modded 97) and the really good ride control. However it to will sit at about 62k CAN$. If they suite your personal style, enjoy, but all in all I think I will just have to WAIT :censored: for my GT500.(based on my past experiance with SVT and the thoroughness of past engineering and the feedback from our first couple of thoughtful owners.)

At a car show I went to last year, There was a Stage 3 prototype with one of Roush's guys and said they cannot sell it with more then 430hp due to the weakness of the internals. They do the same durability testing that SVT uses. Which makes sense since Roush develops SVT enignes.

This is interesting.

Whipple is developing a blower for Ford Racing (I should say has developed) for the 4.6 that puts down 475 at the wheels. How could that be?

Of course, Whipple (or KB) doesn't warranty the engine/drivetrain like Roush.

Guest evilchris

Short term they are worth more. Long term ( 6 months ) they will not be. Xbox 360's were worth $2000 on launch day, $399 2 weeks later. It's just hype.

Guest evilchris

If Roush got a hold of a GT500, upgraded the interior, dropped it an inch or so, added some polished chrome wheels, and put on a better supercharger, that would be heavenly!!

Yeah but we really need Roush to do it? Easy as hell to throw a better blower on there and lower it, put rims on it. All without the BS markup.

Guest evilchris

Since when is 6 months long term? Long term is 25 years. Lets see what your modded Mustang is worth then compared to an '07 Shelby.

In 25 years both will be worthless. It's foolish to think that since 60's Shelby's appreciated like crazy, then so will this one.

In 25 years both will be worthless. It's foolish to think that since 60's Shelby's appreciated like crazy, then so will this one.

Unreal !! definition of worthless = having no value . It may not appreciate or it might a little bit, but worthless? Even your newpaper delivery wagon will have some value in 25 years, maybe 5 bucks at a garage sale. Chump

Guest evilchris

Unreal !! definition of worthless = having no value . It may not appreciate or it might a little bit, but worthless? Even your newpaper delivery wagon will have some value in 25 years, maybe 5 bucks at a garage sale. Chump

Was the flame necessary? Please follow the forum rules. I suggest you edit your flame out of your post.

Even your newpaper delivery wagon will have some value in 25 years, maybe 5 bucks at a garage sale. Chump

Ding Ding Ding! And in this corner, the challenger, shelbang. And now our champion, evilchris, entering the ring. Let's have a good, clean fight. Watch the low blows .... let's get ready to rummmmmmmbbbbblllllleeee .....

:rant:

Guest evilchris

Ding Ding Ding! And in this corner, the challenger, shelbang. And now our champion, evilchris, entering the ring. Let's have a good, clean fight. Watch the low blows .... let's get ready to rummmmmmmbbbbblllllleeee .....

:rant:

rofl, not. I wouldn't want to get arrested for assaulting a minor.

Short term they are worth more. Long term ( 6 months ) they will not be. Xbox 360's were worth $2000 on launch day, $399 2 weeks later. It's just hype.

My point exactly. The ADMs are based on hype, not future value of the car. Unfortunately, there are a lot of suckers out there that don't see it. This is a car that Ford built and, with Carroll Shelby's permission, stuck a badge on the back. The '60s cars were sent to Shelby and built up to what they are. Just like Jack Roush does with the Stage 3s.

Putting Shelby's name on it does not automatically make it worth more down the road. To be highly valued the cars must be highly desired and difficult to obtain. The car that Ford built 13,000 a year of and put a badge on is not as likely to be as valuable as the one that was modified with Ford's blessing and sold thier Ford dealerships to the tune of 3000 or so.

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of the GT500. I'm waiting to buy it rather than get a stage 3 now. But, in reality, the Shelby is not an instant collector's item. The sooner the boneheads that are paying 20k over sticker realize it, the better.

The hype is doing something for the cars value. Guys that think the car is going to be worth a bunch someday are rationalizing paying way too much for a car that will be available for sticker within the year.

Guest evilchris

You mean you don't want to get assaulted (as in diddled) again as a minor. You still sore from that last shoplifting charge? Whazoo eh eh eh

:cheerleader::cheerleader:

My point exactly. The ADMs are based on hype, not future value of the car. Unfortunately, there are a lot of suckers out there that don't see it. This is a car that Ford built and, with Carroll Shelby's permission, stuck a badge on the back. The '60s cars were sent to Shelby and built up to what they are. Just like Jack Roush does with the Stage 3s.

Putting Shelby's name on it does not automatically make it worth more down the road. To be highly valued the cars must be highly desired and difficult to obtain. The car that Ford built 13,000 a year of and put a badge on is not as likely to be as valuable as the one that was modified with Ford's blessing and sold thier Ford dealerships to the tune of 3000 or so.

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of the GT500. I'm waiting to buy it rather than get a stage 3 now. But, in reality, the Shelby is not an instant collector's item. The sooner the boneheads that are paying 20k over sticker realize it, the better.

The hype is doing something for the cars value. Guys that think the car is going to be worth a bunch someday are rationalizing paying way too much for a car that will be available for sticker within the year.

5.4 I think you are exactly right. When I bought my 96 Cobra the saleman told me it would be worth at least the amount I paid for it ten years later; of course I didn't believe him. I've a Shelby ordered (hope I get it sometime before 2010), but I have no illusions about it gaining in value,or even holding its value unless I put it the garage, never drive it, and let my kids sell it fifty years from now. I'm buying it because it is a childhood dream to own a Mustang with this much performance, and I intend to drive it (not race it, not thrash it--it's going to be babied) and enjoy it and maybe be buried in it. I gave great thought to the Roush stage 3, but wanted the 5.4 and I liked the Shelby front end and hood better (I think the Saleen has the best front end of all). I still think those like Rufdraft who are working with a 2006 or 2007 GT might have the right idea though. Anyway--my two cents worth.

Guest evilchris

One interesting subject is the 1993 Cobra. It's getting near original MSRP in value for a good specimen. Then again it is much more rare and the only year of the body style you can get. It was an end of era car.

One interesting subject is the 1993 Cobra. It's getting near original MSRP in value for a good specimen. Then again it is much more rare and the only year of the body style you can get. It was an end of era car.

EvilChris

You're right, this is an interesting point. I wish I could get 2/3 or even half MSRP for my 96. I realize Kelly Blue Book isn't always accurate in relation to a well keep hi-performance car, but the blue-book on my 96 (an extremely cherry Cobra) is pathetic. I can't really afford to keep both it and the Shelby, but it kills me to let someone steal it, if that's all I can get for it. :rant:

5.4 I think you are exactly right. When I bought my 96 Cobra the saleman told me it would be worth at least the amount I paid for it ten years later; of course I didn't believe him. I've a Shelby ordered (hope I get it sometime before 2010), but I have no illusions about it gaining in value,or even holding its value unless I put it the garage, never drive it, and let my kids sell it fifty years from now. I'm buying it because it is a childhood dream to own a Mustang with this much performance, and I intend to drive it (not race it, not thrash it--it's going to be babied) and enjoy it and maybe be buried in it. I gave great thought to the Roush stage 3, but wanted the 5.4 and I liked the Shelby front end and hood better (I think the Saleen has the best front end of all). I still think those like Rufdraft who are working with a 2006 or 2007 GT might have the right idea though. Anyway--my two cents worth.

:happy feet: :happy feet: :bandance: :bandance: AMEN

I've heard a stage 3 it sounded pretty good I've not had a chance to see a GT500 in person yet but the videos I've found on streetfire make the GT500 exhaust note sound low key at idle the Roush sounds more aggressive to me. But with a new set of mufflers the GT500 would get your attention.

As others have said already the Roush is nice but the interior detracks from the looks to me. I'd want it more low key inside the carbon fiber inserts and the seats don't match to me. The outside looked OK but again I want the car to be more low key. To me the car isn't what I'd want to have for the long haul the GT500 has the old style looks I like and it blends together to me.

Which is better is up to personal taste some folks find the scales tilted to one side or the other. There will be less Roushs out on the streets they are numbered so its a truly limited production car. GT500s will be in the cards for some lucky folks to its not limited but thats just a humble opinion others see it differently. :D

EvilChris

You're right, this is an interesting point. I wish I could get 2/3 or even half MSRP for my 96. I realize Kelly Blue Book isn't always accurate in relation to a well keep hi-performance car, but the blue-book on my 96 (an extremely cherry Cobra) is pathetic. I can't really afford to keep both it and the Shelby, but it kills me to let someone steal it, if that's all I can get for it. :rant:

Unfortunately, the same thing is going to happen to the GT500. To think otherwise is absurd. It really bothers me to see all these people getting burned for 10-30k over sticker price. A lot of people are being suckered in by the hype and the dealerships to think it will be a collector right away. In a few years, they will regret that decision. Maybe sooner if they total it or it gets stolen. Insurance will not reimburse the ADM.

Someday, the car will again rise in value. Even if it does, it will not outperform the stock market.

Archived