TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby map light trim

I installed the shelby map light trim piece, and it looked great. I noticed a few days later that the both ends of the piece had come "unglued"(it is attached with double stick tape) and it didn't sit flush anymore. I was wondering if anyone knows of a quality glue that won't run and will keep the trim piece in place. ok let the flogging begin :confused:

also it has been very cold here in n.y. and allthough the car is garaged it is not heated, so I am pretty sure thats why the tape didn't hold.

I am hoping to hear of a good solution that doesn't involve Crazy Glue since I really want this piece. Do any of you have it installed with the anti-theft? I am wondering if it still looks nice with the holes in the sides for the AAT...the pics I have seen are for the regular trim piece.

It is really a non issue. I would suggest removing the piece and cleaning all the old tape off. Test fit it without the tape and form it to fit like it should, you should only have to bend the ends just a little bit. Get some new tape from a parts house, most of them will stock the thin double sided tape. If it is cold where you are, use a hairdryer to heat the plastic and the cover. Reinstall the piece with the new tape and you should be good to go. Also it would probably be a good idea to have the interior of the car as warm as possible and let the tape cure for a while and then let the temperature drop slowly.

As for installing with the anti-theft, I have seen a discussion on that in one of the old site threads and I think someone did it but I don't remember who.

I am hoping to hear of a good solution that doesn't involve Crazy Glue since I really want this piece. Do any of you have it installed with the anti-theft? I am wondering if it still looks nice with the holes in the sides for the AAT...the pics I have seen are for the regular trim piece.

Silicone sealer...worked like a charm for me!

Hopefully, this will help...

As a mechanical engineer, I have spec'd adhesive foam tape on various parts.

Also, I bought and installed the same map light trim kit from SAI.

There are 2 rules to successfully using adhesive foam tape:

1) Clean the surfaces with alcohol or acetone, etc.

2) Hold in place for at least 12 hours. Overnight works. I know it says it only takes 5 minutes or so, but trust me; it takes much longer for a good bond.

I installed the piece and used a rubber band around the housing to hold it in place overnight.

Now, it stays in place like is was meant to. :headspin::headspin:

I installed the shelby map light trim piece, and it looked great. I noticed a few days later that the both ends of the piece had come "unglued"(it is attached with double stick tape) and it didn't sit flush anymore. I was wondering if anyone knows of a quality glue that won't run and will keep the trim piece in place. ok let the flogging begin :confused:

also it has been very cold here in n.y. and allthough the car is garaged it is not heated, so I am pretty sure thats why the tape didn't hold.

I had the same problem with the ends lifting up and use this on the ends of the shelby emblem.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserve...s6EVs6E666666--

Apply it sparingly using a Q-tip on just the ends and hold in place with masking tape over night. Just be careful to lift the ends enough to get some glue under it without bending the trim piece.

It's been solid for about 10 months now.

My wife pulled mine off and added better 3m tape to it and it is 100 times better. She did the same with the sill plate accent strips.

I am sure these products were tested before they were sold, right? Sorry, just a little frustrated.

Yes. Remember, with any adhesive tape product, apply pressure for at least 12 hours or more. Then they will work as advertised. Rubber bands are great for the map light cover.

First I bent it to make the best fit and then used super glue to make it stick as the tape did not work. I also held it in place with blue painter's masking tape as it does not leave any glue residue. I also used the glue to attached the button covers and held them with the same tape for 24hours. All has been fine for 7 months.

• 10 months later...

I'm glad to of read this thread. I'm not wanting to use superglue, so I will use the rubberbands and I have some super good extra strength double sticky tape that I will put on the ends.

Thanks for all the tips.

I'm going to install mine this week end. A hair dryer and heating the car up are great tips. I did not think of that.

I had the same problem with mine, I bent it to form better to the map light and it's been perfect ever since. :shift:

I really wanted this mod, and thought it looked great, until I bought it. The quality was crap, and it never fit right out of the package. I massaged and played with it for hours, stuck it on, watched it fall off. Stuck it on again, pulled it off, massaged and bent it, and redid everything several times. I eventually pulled it off and took it back for a refund. I love the idea, but that piece of aluminum foil they make it out of was just cheesy. I'd love to buy it again, but only if they use thicker metal and get a better stamping. Very ticked about the whole thing...

I actually thought the quality of mine was okay. I also had the same problem with adhesion. After a few days of it coming up at the sides I decided to remove it and apply a new strip of 3M. That did the trick. I think the flaw is mainly due to the low quality tape used by the manufacturer.

Archived